The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-31-2010, 12:06 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

If it is true, why did she accept the marriage of her second son Heinrich to Ella's sister Irene, who actually was carrier of aemophilia and transmitted the disease to two of their three sons?

Old 08-31-2010, 12:44 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAfan View Post

If it is true, why did she accept the marriage of her second son Heinrich to Ella's sister Irene, who actually was carrier of aemophilia and transmitted the disease to two of their three sons?
That is an interesting question and I haven't read anything on that. My guess is Heinrich was not the heir (although as the second son, pretty close to it). Also, she probably wouldn't have forbidden Willy to marry Ella and the marriage didn't happen not on account of Vicky, but because Ella refused his proposal, which was convenient.

Old 08-31-2010, 12:55 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Well, of course having Ella refused Willy's proposal Vicky would never say "You may be carries, I don't want you"; after all Ella was her niece, and nobody had any interest in creating more mess among Queen Victoria's descendants.
Old 08-31-2010, 01:56 PM
Nobility

I've never read anything on it... but wonder what Queen Victoria's opinion on a marriage between Willy and Ella was? She seemed to be keen on her grandchildren marrying... She tried to match Eddy and Alicky (what a disaster that would have been), she tried to match Georgie with Missy (Mama Marie squashed that one), she was very keen on Ernie and Ducky's fiasco of a marriage.... I suppose she was as keen on Henry & Irene...
But what she thought about Ella and Willy? For sure she wasn't happy with Ella's marriage to Serge or Alicky's later marriage to Nicky!!
Old 09-04-2010, 02:20 AM
Heir Presumptive

Sex parties, bloody duels and blackmail: Life at court of the last German emperor - an article in Guardian.co.uk
Old 09-04-2010, 11:30 AM
Heir Apparent

I've got "Darling Mama" I'll see if something is in there on that.
Victoria didn't expect to find such a formidable foe in the marriage market in Marie of Edinburgh. She (Victoria) should have known better, however due to all the years Marie suffered those slights she was angry about due to being in an inferior (she thought) position at court.
Old 09-05-2010, 10:01 AM
Nobility

Thanks Russo! I would think that as opinionated as QV was... that surely somewhere is a mention of her thoughts on Ella and Willy.
And excellent point on Marie Edinburgh..... the formidable daughter of Alexander II never had it easy with her mother-in-law's court.... so QV should have figured that she'd do all she could to block her daughter's marriage into said same court.... although she was born to it (per say).
Old 08-12-2011, 10:23 PM

Governess to Crown Prince Wilhelm's children?

Hi, I was wondering if anyone might happen to know (or know where I could discover) the name of the nanny/governess to the children of Crown Prince Wilhelm (son of Kaiser Wilhelm II)?

Family lore is that the half-sister of my great-grandmother (maiden name Anna Luescher) was the nanny. There is a variety of circumstantial evidence that is consistent with this, but I have no direct proof. (It doesn't help that my great-grandparents lost everything in a fire in their home in America.) I have the names of her siblings, so I'm hopeful I could find a match if I can just get some documentation of the name of the nanny through other sources.
Old 08-18-2011, 12:04 PM
Commoner

Dear ebliever,

as far as I know and could investigate there have been following women serving for the children of the Crown Prince:
Fräulein von Ernst (Swiss Nurse)
Selma Zoske (Nanny from Berlin)
Selma Böse (Nanny from Berlin too)
Fräulein Bergner, who went to the US later on and was governess to several families over there.

Then there was a chambermaid named Anna Pifrement (from Potsdam)

And later on there was an english governess named Miss Brimble, of whom I could not get the first name.

I hope I could help You a little bit. The name Anna Luescher was not among the women I could bring up.

Regards
Alex R.
Old 09-25-2011, 05:11 PM
Serene Highness

My dear friends,

I am currently reading King, Kaiser, Tsar and loving it. There is so much I really did not know about Wilhelm; my exposure to him came mainly through books about other royals and how they viewed Willy. I am fascinated by the love/hate he had towards England and also about his fascination/obsession with his very English mother. Vicky certainly would not have won mother of the year honors when it came to Willy and I believe she was always repulsed and upset about his disfigured arm.

A complex man, guilty of many things but certainly warped or fashioned (depending on your view) by the family and sycophants around him. His parents wanted him to be liberal and British in his outlook; his grandfather and Bismarck wanted him to be autocratic and Prussian in bearing. They won and Willy, succumbing to their flattery, slighted his father and his English relatives at every turn.

Now, don't get me started on his homosexual/bi-sexual tendencies. . . .
Old 09-25-2011, 05:17 PM
Heir Apparent

He certainly was a fascinating character. I wonder sometimes how the 20th century would have been different had he not had that withered arm.
Old 09-25-2011, 07:28 PM
Administrator

I read that book as well! Very fascinating.

Old 10-15-2011, 10:11 AM
Serene Highness

I just read where Wilhelm buried his mother in accordance with her wishes: in an English coffin and pursuant to Anglican rites. A very English princess to the end. Later, Wilhelm encased her coffin in a German coffin and reburied her according to German rites. Nasty man!
Old 10-19-2011, 06:13 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasillisos Markos View Post
I just read where Wilhelm buried his mother in accordance with her wishes: in an English coffin and pursuant to Anglican rites. A very English princess to the end. Later, Wilhelm encased her coffin in a German coffin and reburied her according to German rites. Nasty man!
Agreed. That's just vicious on his part.
Old 11-17-2013, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchwarzerAdler View Post
And later on there was an english governess named Miss Brimble, of whom I could not get the first name.
Sorry to resurrect an old thread here...
Miss Brimble was Edith Brimble. She was from Weston Super Mare (North Somerset) in England. She is one of my ancestors (I believe she was my great great Aunt). She actually wrote a book about her time as governess which is still in the family.
I have never managed to find any mention of her before so it's quite exciting :).
Old 12-02-2013, 05:08 PM
Royal Highness

Wilhelm (William) II was the last Emperor of Germany. His son, the Crown Prince, had the first two names of Friedrich Wilhelm. However I have seen him referred to as Wilhelm. Had he been Emperor, what would be his correct title: William III, Frederick William V, or Frederick IV?

MAfan , Since I saw Wilhelm II's full name he could have been Frederick William V or Frederick IV.

Three of William II's sons were: Prince Eitel Friedrich, Prince August Wilhelm, and Prince Joachim. I like the fact that these three brothers had these names. There were Counts of Hohenzollern named Eitel Friedrich. August Wilhelm was also the name of a brother of Frederick II of Prussia. There were Margraves of Brandenburg named Joachim.
Prince Heinrich of Prussia (1862-1929), brother of German Emperor Wilhelm II, received one of the first pilot's licenses in Germany.

Old 12-02-2013, 05:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

I believe that while his full name was Friedrich Wilhelm Victor Agustus Ernest, he went by Wilhelm. He was called Prince Wilhelm, not Friedrich or Friedrich Wilhelm. As such, he most likely would have been Wilhelm III.
Old 12-02-2013, 06:22 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

I quite agree with Ish; it wasn't and still isn't uncommon in the Prussian Royal Family for members to be called by one of their middle names; just think to:
Kaiser Wilhelm II, whose full name was Friedrich Wilhelm Viktor Albert;
Prince Louis Ferdinand's eldest two sons Friedrich Wilhelm, whose full name is Louis Ferdinand Friedrich Wilhelm Hubertus Michael Kyrill, and Michael, whose full name is Wilhelm Heinrich Michael Louis Ferdinand Friedrich Franz Wladimir;
and the last Kaiser's siblings: Charlotte (Victoria Elisabeth Auguste Charlotte), Heinrich (Albert Wilhelm Heinrich), Sigismund (Franz Friedrich Sigismund), Viktoria (Friederike Wilhelmine Amalie Viktoria), Waldemar (Joachim Friedrich Ernst Waldemar).
Old 12-03-2013, 12:53 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaz2904 View Post
Sorry to resurrect an old thread here...
Miss Brimble was Edith Brimble. She was from Weston Super Mare (North Somerset) in England. She is one of my ancestors (I believe she was my great great Aunt). She actually wrote a book about her time as governess which is still in the family.
I have never managed to find any mention of her before so it's quite exciting :).
The book is called In the Eyrie of the Hohenzollern - listed as E Lilian Brimble. The book had been on my want list for some years, finally located it for about $5.00 from a dealer in Australia.
Old 12-03-2013, 12:54 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russophile View Post
Agreed. That's just vicious on his part.

Not much difference between the Anglican and Lutheran rites.