The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 10-23-2011, 12:48 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 1
Hitler, the Hohenzollerns and WWII

What did the German people think of the German Royal Family during WWII?

Hello,

I'm trying to find out what the general attitude among the German people was to the German Royal Family between the wars, and especially during the Second World War?
I know that Kaiser Wilhelm was forced to retire, and went into exile in Holland; however, I have also read that many placed the blame for the loss of the First World War on the "November Criminals" -- politicians, Jews, etc.

So what did the German people think of the Kaiser and his descendants? Were they patriotic, indifferent, or hostile towards them?

All responses are appreciated. Thanks very much for your time! :)
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-24-2011, 02:46 AM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: brisbane, Australia
Posts: 488
I think you need to read Royals and teh Reich by Jonathon Petropolis
http://www.amazon.com/Royals-Reich-P.../dp/0195161335
While it is about the support that many german royals gave Nazism, it does give some good insights into how the various german royals were regarded by the general population before and during the war.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-31-2013, 10:57 AM
dsalerno5's Avatar
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 6
Hitler and the Hohenzollern family

I read somewhere that had the allies not gotten rid of the Prussian and Hohenzollern monarchies after world war 1, hitler would never have been able to rise to power. Anyone have any thoughts/insights into this topic?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-01-2014, 12:48 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Los Angeles, United States
Posts: 6
I suspect dsalerno5 is right... President Wilson, while admirable in his desire to make the world safe for democracy, as delineated in his Fourteen Points, was ultimately proved naive. He was double crossed by his colony-hungry allies in Britain and France and by his own Congress. The Allies refused to negotiate with the Kaiser and insisted upon self determination among the peoples of the Austro-Hungarian Empire, which was fracturing anyhow. With both of those emperors gone, a huge power vacuum was created, into which Hitler was able to waltz with relative ease, being democratically elected. The German people were not prepared to live in a democratic republic. That had never been their tradition. An example of that is Russia today under Putin... he has steadily chipped away at Russian "democracy" because that is a system the Russian people are unfamiliar with. Thus, they are devolving back into a popular and familiar authoritarianism. I think the Allies learned their lesson after World War I when at the end of World War II, the Japanese were allowed to retain their monarchy, albeit as a mere ceremonial institution. They realized the power of the symbolism of the Imperial Institution. The retention of the monarchy in Japan I think had a calming effect on the post war reconstruction and democratization; that and having MacArthur as an American "Shogun" guiding them along. A modern example of how a monarchy has smoothed a transition from dictatorship to democracy is Spain under King Juan Carlos. In 1918, had the Allies permitted the Germans and the Austrians to retain their monarchies, the history of the 20th century may have been very, very different.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-01-2014, 01:51 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 919
I think you'd need to go back to pre WWI and forward to get a good feel for the relationship between the people and the German royalty.

I have a friend who's area of specialty is WWII ...will have to ask him what he thinks about this. Interesting question.


LaRae
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-02-2014, 07:48 AM
MarcosFenn's Avatar
Gentry
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Pickering, Canada
Posts: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
I think you'd need to go back to pre WWI and forward to get a good feel for the relationship between the people and the German royalty.

I have a friend who's area of specialty is WWII ...will have to ask him what he thinks about this. Interesting question.


LaRae
Another aspect is that, while Germany lost its Imperial House in 1918, the House had reigned only since 1871 over the whole of Germany; previously — and in many cases for centuries also — each area of Germany had its own local ruling dynasty.

Local loyalties thus ran deep in Germany; and since 1648 (Treaty of Westphalia) local rulers defined their subjects' religion according to the principle: cuius regio, eius religio.

So having had one reigning dynasty over the whole of Germany was merely one, rather short-lived, aspect of various, deep-seated loyalties in various parts of Germany, with religion an important part of this.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-02-2014, 05:58 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 919
Yes you can go back to the capture of Richard the Lionheart and see how that multiple rulers played out as an example of what you mention. The Germans of the early 20th century barely had time to get to know the ruling family of a united Germany.


LaRae
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-02-2014, 07:02 PM
Moonmaiden23's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Los Angeles, United States
Posts: 4,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by orrinhoover View Post
I suspect dsalerno5 is right... President Wilson, while admirable in his desire to make the world safe for democracy, as delineated in his Fourteen Points, was ultimately proved naive. He was double crossed by his colony-hungry allies in Britain and France and by his own Congress. The Allies refused to negotiate with the Kaiser and insisted upon self determination among the peoples of the Austro-Hungarian Empire, which was fracturing anyhow. With both of those emperors gone, a huge power vacuum was created, into which Hitler was able to waltz with relative ease, being democratically elected. The German people were not prepared to live in a democratic republic. That had never been their tradition. An example of that is Russia today under Putin... he has steadily chipped away at Russian "democracy" because that is a system the Russian people are unfamiliar with. Thus, they are devolving back into a popular and familiar authoritarianism. I think the Allies learned their lesson after World War I when at the end of World War II, the Japanese were allowed to retain their monarchy, albeit as a mere ceremonial institution. They realized the power of the symbolism of the Imperial Institution. The retention of the monarchy in Japan I think had a calming effect on the post war reconstruction and democratization; that and having MacArthur as an American "Shogun" guiding them along. A modern example of how a monarchy has smoothed a transition from dictatorship to democracy is Spain under King Juan Carlos. In 1918, had the Allies permitted the Germans and the Austrians to retain their monarchies, the history of the 20th century may have been very, very different.
Excellent, excellent post, thank you. Very sobering to think about the flip side of Woodrow Wilson's misguided(perhaps) idealism.
__________________
"Be who God intended you to be, and you will set the world on fire" St. Catherine of Siena
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-02-2014, 09:27 PM
MarcosFenn's Avatar
Gentry
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Pickering, Canada
Posts: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
Excellent, excellent post, thank you. Very sobering to think about the flip side of Woodrow Wilson's misguided(perhaps) idealism.
Interestingly, states such as Lithuania, which emerged as independent states at the end of World War One, became republics, although in the case of Lithuania, under the German Empire, Monaco-born King Mindaugas reigned for a few months before the Armistice.

Mindaugas was dispensed with. Poland, which also re-emerged as a state at the end of World War One, and Lithuania then proceeded to start fighting each other.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-03-2014, 08:15 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 919
War, unfortunately, is the nature of man. It seems we learn little from the past.


LaRae
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
german royal family, germany, hohenzollern, kaiser, second world war


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Additional Links
Popular Tags
abdication birth charlene chris o'neill crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess letizia crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria current events fashion grand duchess maria teresa grand duke henri habsburg hohenzollern infanta elena infanta sofia jordan king abdullah ii king carl xvi gustav king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander luxembourg ottoman palace pom prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince constantijn prince felipe prince felix prince floris prince laurent prince pieter-christiaan princess princess aimee princess alexia (2005 -) princess anita princess ariane princess beatrix princess catharina-amalia princess charlene princess claire princess laurentien princess letizia princess mabel princess madeleine princess margriet princess marie princess mary queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen paola queen rania queen silvia queen sofia royal russia spain state visit sweden wedding william


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

RV & Travel Trailer Communities

Our RV & Travel Trailer sites encompasses virtually all types of Recreational Vehicles, from brand-specific to general RV communities.

» More about our RV Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002-2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:12 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]