The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-20-2015, 02:20 PM
Courtier

I'm all for Queen Merkel ...

as others have allready pointed out: highly unlikly for Germany

Old 09-20-2015, 02:29 PM
Super Moderator

She has no children, so that would be a short dynasty!
Besides Mrs. Angela Merkel is the head of the government, the equivalent of David Carmeron. She is not the head of the state, like the queen. And she'd probably never be able to keep her hands out of politics, as it is expected of a good Queen in the 21st century.

Old 09-20-2015, 03:10 PM
Courtier

.. i was jocking ..
Old 09-20-2015, 03:19 PM
Super Moderator

I thought so! Sorry if my answer sounded too serious.

Old 09-21-2015, 03:40 AM
Majesty

I thought the late Richard von Weizsäcker was almost like a royal. A very serene and dignified President he was.
Old 09-21-2015, 06:11 AM
Courtier

That's a nice idea. I liked Richard von Weizsäcker a lot. He was a great man and as a “Freiherr“ he was even a member of the former german nobility. King Richard of Germany has a nice ring to it. And it would have been a continueing dynasty unlike the Merkel-Dynasty, because “King Richard“ has four children. Three sons (although one died already) and one daughter.

Unfortunatly this is all daydreaming, because Germany will never be a monarchy again for all the previously mentioned reasons. But one can still dream.

I'm a firm supporter of fair chance's.
Use your chance, Sofia. You're doing a fine job so far.
Old 11-11-2017, 02:15 AM
Gentry

From what I gathered at in the news lately, only about 25% seem to support the idea of having an Emperor/King of Germany again. Better than most countries but it doesn't help when the Kaiser's great great grandson is against the idea plus the laws of the Federal Republic.

-Frozen Royalist
Old 11-11-2017, 02:48 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Royalist View Post
From what I gathered at in the news lately, only about 25% seem to support the idea of having an Emperor/King of Germany again. Better than most countries but it doesn't help when the Kaiser's great great grandson is against the idea plus the laws of the Federal Republic.

-Frozen Royalist
The movement is most popular among youth where 20% are in favor of a monarchy. It goes down from there as you go up in age. And having the Prussian crown prince say he has absolutely no interest in politics, isn't helping the situation. I guess if there was real desire to restore the throne, the offer could be made to one of the other male dynasts, like his Uncle Christian who is 4th in line (if they didn't want to wait till one of George's sons was an adult). The argument could be made that his father's older brothers who lost their place in succession to Prusia, have a better claim, and their claim be restored.
Old 11-11-2017, 03:52 AM
Majesty

There was never "a German monarchy". There were dozens of German monarchies. Many of these have made good legal and financial arrangements with the Länder (the successors to the principalities). For an example the state of Bavaria still pays millions in allowances to the former royal family, as well arrangements for using former royal residences (for an example the current Duke of Bavaria has a lavish appartment in the sprawling Schloss Nymphenburg in Munich).

And many former royal families have made good arrangements, as one can see with many former royals still preserving their castles, heritage, collections, jewels, etc. Many if them living a lavish life in Marbella, Saint-Tropez or Ibiza as well.

Restoration is the most difficult in Germany. The Land Mecklenburg-Vorpommern back to a Duchy of Mecklenburg? But what with the original Prussian parts of Pommern? Splitting the Land Nordhrein-Westfalen into a dozen principalities again? And that in wealthy and mighty Germany? Falling back in Kleinstaaterei? It will not happen.
Old 11-11-2017, 05:31 PM
Gentry

I suppose I should've just reworded my previous post, about 25% of Germany would like to have a King/Emperor again, I suppose this just means that it should just be one dynasty in the whole country rather than a simple federation of German monarchies like the 1871-1918 one. Honestly at this point, if there ever is a restoration ever, it would be between either the Hohenzollerns, because they were the Prussian/German Imperial Royal Family after all, or the Wittelsbachs, because they at least have a rather good reputation and history.

-Frozen Royalist
Old 11-28-2017, 10:47 PM
Gentry

Okay considering how the Prince William and Duchess Kate wedding resulted in some increased support in restoration Germany how do you think the wedding between Prince Harry and Meghan Markle will affect the German monarchy restoration movement? More support? Less support? Or just the same amount of support?

I should note the purpose of this post is to get predictions, not the usual one fifth of youths support blah blah blah and so on. Just predict.

-Frozen Royalist
Old 11-28-2017, 10:51 PM
Majesty

I figure those who are pro-monarchy will continue to be pro-monarchy...those who are anti-monarchy will continue to be anti-monarchy. Very few of the fence sitters will care.

LaRae