The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-20-2015, 01:20 PM
Courtier

I'm all for Queen Merkel ...

as others have allready pointed out: highly unlikly for Germany

Old 09-20-2015, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator

She has no children, so that would be a short dynasty!
Besides Mrs. Angela Merkel is the head of the government, the equivalent of David Carmeron. She is not the head of the state, like the queen. And she'd probably never be able to keep her hands out of politics, as it is expected of a good Queen in the 21st century.

Old 09-20-2015, 02:10 PM
Courtier

.. i was jocking ..
Old 09-20-2015, 02:19 PM
Super Moderator

I thought so! Sorry if my answer sounded too serious.

Old 09-21-2015, 02:40 AM
Majesty

I thought the late Richard von Weizsäcker was almost like a royal. A very serene and dignified President he was.
Old 09-21-2015, 05:11 AM
Courtier

That's a nice idea. I liked Richard von Weizsäcker a lot. He was a great man and as a “Freiherr“ he was even a member of the former german nobility. King Richard of Germany has a nice ring to it. And it would have been a continueing dynasty unlike the Merkel-Dynasty, because “King Richard“ has four children. Three sons (although one died already) and one daughter.

Unfortunatly this is all daydreaming, because Germany will never be a monarchy again for all the previously mentioned reasons. But one can still dream.

I'm a firm supporter of fair chance's.
Use your chance, Sofia. You're doing a fine job so far.
Old 11-11-2017, 01:15 AM
Aristocracy

From what I gathered at in the news lately, only about 25% seem to support the idea of having an Emperor/King of Germany again. Better than most countries but it doesn't help when the Kaiser's great great grandson is against the idea plus the laws of the Federal Republic.

-Frozen Royalist
Old 11-11-2017, 01:48 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Royalist View Post
From what I gathered at in the news lately, only about 25% seem to support the idea of having an Emperor/King of Germany again. Better than most countries but it doesn't help when the Kaiser's great great grandson is against the idea plus the laws of the Federal Republic.

-Frozen Royalist
The movement is most popular among youth where 20% are in favor of a monarchy. It goes down from there as you go up in age. And having the Prussian crown prince say he has absolutely no interest in politics, isn't helping the situation. I guess if there was real desire to restore the throne, the offer could be made to one of the other male dynasts, like his Uncle Christian who is 4th in line (if they didn't want to wait till one of George's sons was an adult). The argument could be made that his father's older brothers who lost their place in succession to Prusia, have a better claim, and their claim be restored.
Old 11-11-2017, 02:52 AM
Majesty

There was never "a German monarchy". There were dozens of German monarchies. Many of these have made good legal and financial arrangements with the Länder (the successors to the principalities). For an example the state of Bavaria still pays millions in allowances to the former royal family, as well arrangements for using former royal residences (for an example the current Duke of Bavaria has a lavish appartment in the sprawling Schloss Nymphenburg in Munich).

And many former royal families have made good arrangements, as one can see with many former royals still preserving their castles, heritage, collections, jewels, etc. Many if them living a lavish life in Marbella, Saint-Tropez or Ibiza as well.

Restoration is the most difficult in Germany. The Land Mecklenburg-Vorpommern back to a Duchy of Mecklenburg? But what with the original Prussian parts of Pommern? Splitting the Land Nordhrein-Westfalen into a dozen principalities again? And that in wealthy and mighty Germany? Falling back in Kleinstaaterei? It will not happen.
Old 11-11-2017, 04:31 PM
Aristocracy

I suppose I should've just reworded my previous post, about 25% of Germany would like to have a King/Emperor again, I suppose this just means that it should just be one dynasty in the whole country rather than a simple federation of German monarchies like the 1871-1918 one. Honestly at this point, if there ever is a restoration ever, it would be between either the Hohenzollerns, because they were the Prussian/German Imperial Royal Family after all, or the Wittelsbachs, because they at least have a rather good reputation and history.

-Frozen Royalist
Old 11-28-2017, 09:47 PM
Aristocracy

Okay considering how the Prince William and Duchess Kate wedding resulted in some increased support in restoration Germany how do you think the wedding between Prince Harry and Meghan Markle will affect the German monarchy restoration movement? More support? Less support? Or just the same amount of support?

I should note the purpose of this post is to get predictions, not the usual one fifth of youths support blah blah blah and so on. Just predict.

-Frozen Royalist
Old 11-28-2017, 09:51 PM
Majesty

I figure those who are pro-monarchy will continue to be pro-monarchy...those who are anti-monarchy will continue to be anti-monarchy. Very few of the fence sitters will care.

LaRae
Old 01-05-2018, 04:43 PM
Aristocracy

I would love to see a restoration of course but it's unlikely.

I think Wilhelm II didn't go down well in history and that plays a part. To this day he comes across as authoritarian and a bit of a mad man. I'd say most Germans still blame him for the defeat in the First World War and that has huge implications.

However, President Woodrow Wilson suggested the monarchy be kept in German under a reformed constitution.

The Emperor should have stayed out of politics during the war and should have distanced himself a bit from the military operations. He should have played George V's role and that was all.
Old 01-05-2018, 05:15 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
There was never "a German monarchy". There were dozens of German monarchies.
Technically, the Second German Empire was actually a federation of monarchies, so there were multiple kings (of Bavaria, Württemberg, Saxony) and many other sovereign princes (grand dukes, dukes, etc.) under the German emperor, who was also of course the king of Prussia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Real View Post
There is still some support for a monarchical restoration in Germany?
Near zero chance IMHO.
Old 01-05-2018, 06:00 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronprinz View Post
[....]

The Emperor should have stayed out of politics during the war and should have distanced himself a bit from the military operations. He should have played George V's role and that was all.
In contrary to the Anglo-American cartoonesque imago of the Kaiser being an all-powerful dictatorial madman, he was pretty as sidelined as his cousin George V.

During WW I Germany was essentially governed by a military junta. The Oberste Heeresleitung (Supreme Army Command) held the reins of power. Of course the officers' ranks of the Heer, the Kriegsmarine and the Luftwaffe were full with aristocrats. That is also why the ruling class (royals and nobles) fell so deep in Germany, Austria and Russia, after (then) the biggest bloodshed ever in human history.

The ultimate "Chief" of all this was the Emperor. And the saying goes: the higher someone is, the deeper the fall. This was not justified. The Oberste Heeresleitung took all power over the armed forces, the economy, etc. and degraded the Reichstag (Parliament) and the Kaiser (Emperor) to powerless rubber-stamps of their Militardiktatur.

The real Emperors were the Generalstabchefs of the Oberste Heeresleitung, all were aristocrats: Helmut von Moltke, Erich von Falkenhayn and Paul von Hindenburg.
Old 01-05-2018, 06:36 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
In contrary to the Anglo-American cartoonesque imago af the Kaiser being an all-powerful dictatorial madman, he was pretty as sidelined as his cousin George V.

During WW I Germany was essentially governed by a military junta. The Oberste Heeresleitung (Supreme Army Command) held the reins of power. Of course the officers' ranks of the Heer, the Kriegsmarine and the Luftwaffe were full with aristocrats. That is also why the ruling class (royals and nobles) fell so deep in Germany, Austria and Russia, after (then) the biggest bloodshed ever in human history.

The ultimate "Chief" of all this was the Emperor. And the saying goes: the higher someone is, the deeper the fall. This was not justified. The Oberste Heeresleitung took all power over the armed forces, the economy, etc. and degraded the Reichstag (Parliament) and the Kaiser (Emperor) to powerless rubber-stamps of their Militardiktatur.

The real Emperors were the Generalstabchefs of the Oberste Heerssleitung, all were aristocrats: Helmut von Moltke, Erich von Falkenhayn and Paul von Hindenburg.
I agree in part that Anglo-American accounts at the time tended to exaggerate the Kaiser's role in the war. However, I don't think his position could have ever been comparable to George V' s. For starters, the civilian ministers in the UK had political control over the military, as did also the POTUS by the way. In Germany, there wasn't even the equivalent to a civilian government in the Anglo-American sense as its closest counterpart, the German Chancellor, was not responsible to the Reichstag and did not reflect the political party composition of the federal legislature.
Old 01-06-2018, 01:58 AM
Heir Apparent

The German Monarchy had also the King's,Grand Dukes,Dukes and Princes that reigned in the Empire. It would be difficult to restore them without restoring the whole Empire.
Old 01-06-2018, 03:18 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory View Post
The German Monarchy had also the King's,Grand Dukes,Dukes and Princes that reigned in the Empire. It would be difficult to restore them without restoring the whole Empire.
These Fürsten and their states in the Kaiserreich were, in practice, subservient to "Berlin". It was nice to be Fürst von Lippe, Herzog von Mecklenburg or Markgraf von Baden but in essence they were puppets which were a heavy burden on all the Budgets of all the states. The Germans have ended these monarchies in a more or less prudent manner, look at all these former Fürsten who still have their ancestral castles and patrimoniums. We can not say that the same favourability was done to the royals and nobles in Austria, Russia or the countries which endured Communist rule. I think no one of these German Houses: Bayern, Waldeck und Pyrmont, Hessen, etc. is thinking about a restoration at all. Many of these Fürsten have a good life, they have a position in society and that is it.
Old 01-06-2018, 08:31 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
These Fürsten and their states in the Kaiserreich were, in practice, subservient to "Berlin". It was nice to be Fürst von Lippe, Herzog von Mecklenburg or Markgraf von Baden but in essence they were puppets which were a heavy burden on all the Budgets of all the states. The Germans have ended these monarchies in a more or less prudent manner, look at all these former Fürsten who still have their ancestral castles and patrimoniums. We can not say that the same favourability was done to the royals and nobles in Austria, Russia or the countries which endured Communist rule. I think no one of these German Houses: Bayern, Waldeck und Pyrmont, Hessen, etc. is thinking about a restoration at all. Many of these Fürsten have a good life, they have a position in society and that is it.
It would be difficult to believe the Princes of these Houses do not believe in Monarchy. Restoration is certainly not easy and can't be done only in parts of Germany.
Old 01-06-2018, 08:56 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory View Post
It would be difficult to believe the Princes of these Houses do not believe in Monarchy. Restoration is certainly not easy and can't be done only in parts of Germany.
A pretty simple example: in 1868 the Kingdom of Prussia usurped the Kurfürstentum Hessen, the Herzogtum Nassau, the Freie Stadt Frankfurt and formed the Prussian province of Hessen-Nassau. In 1929 also the Fürstentum of Waldeck and Pyrmont was usurped and added to this Prussian province.

So a German restoration in which big boy Prussia simply bullied away the Elector of Hessen, the Duke of Nassau, the Free Citizens of Frankfurt and the Fürst von Waldeck und Pyrmont?

After 1945 the Allied Powers redrew the map of Germany. The present Bundesländer in Germany were created out of the former principalities, not always with an eye on history and with some misdrawings.

That task is so immense, that a return to the monarchy (which one?) would be alike opening Pandora's Box. And why? Germany is a powerful and wealthy state, directing the tone in the European Union and a mayor player at the world stage. Why would the honourable Bundespräsident in Schloss Bellevue ever make place for an unelected great-grandson of the last Emperor?