The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-03-2008, 06:44 AM
Gentry

Lightbulb

I would tend to agree with Feargas. There appear, from this perspective, to be a good share of German nobles/princely families who would seem to have the esteem of their peers and countrymen. Of course there is a share of those that don't. That's normally the case with any population of people. I hope the good that these others do gets more publicity. I think perhaps they don't get the credit for the good things they do. Maybe better Public Relations?

Old 10-03-2008, 08:13 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearghas View Post
I disagree that all the german royals are an embarresmant. The Wurttembergs, Bavarians and Prince George Friderich von Prussian are still very esteemed today, including by politicians. The Furst of Shuamberg Lippe is very well respected by people in his area as are many of the others, including the Hohenzollern-Sigmaringens despite Ferfried. I agree that there is very little chance of re-establishing the German royal familes but never say never
Of course they are not all an embarrasment - but there enough of them to real be one! So if ever a discussion would start about which Royal to choose, we would get presented all those first who are not fitting. Because I doubt there are monarchy-friendly media outlets around apart from the Yellow Press.

We just had votes in Bavaria which is a very traditional, conservative part of Germany with Upper Bavaria (Oberbayerm) as the center. I voted in Upper Bavaria and noticed only one noble name from close to 500 persons you could choose your candidate from. So obviously the nobility is not much interested in running for office over here....

'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 10-04-2008, 01:02 PM
Gentry

Jo of Palatine,

Any idea why there are not many nobles running for election in BRD? 1 out of 500 in Oberbayern is not much. What is keeping them from running? Seems like they can be popular (good and bad ways), given the 'yellow' press, but maybe they think it contrary to run for election?
Do you think a constitutional monarchy model would even considered by them? My recollection of history within Imperial Germany is that the royal and noble families were more autocratic in the past than liberal (e.g. not a constitutional monarchy model). Maybe they could accept a more liberal model?

Seems, however, that the German public would be skeptical...
Old 10-04-2008, 04:50 PM
Nobility

Many of the minor German states were quite liberal. Oldenburg I know was a constitutional monarch, The Grand Duchy of Baden was very liberal, especially in its treatment of people with different religolnss. And while they may have been theoretically autocratic many of the rest were in practice not. The various monarchs prided themselves on having a personal relationship with their subjects and most of them would have a special day during the week when any of the people could approach the monarch with their disputes etc. The Federal systen was different and certainly the last Kaiser was very autocratic and despotic. As I feel he was a weak man who liked the image rather than the substance of being an autocrat he clung to his powers but neglected his responsabilities.
Old 12-15-2008, 11:28 AM

I love Hohenzollerns.Hohenzollern is one of the most excellent emperors.It is very good and important for Germany and all Germans to restore monarchy.Why have not German catch to the power in monarchy.No monarchy is an important reason.You can see Japan.Japan become the second strongest ecomical country with monarchy.
Old 01-03-2009, 02:06 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhelm Great View Post
I love Hohenzollerns.Hohenzollern is one of the most excellent emperors.It is very good and important for Germany and all Germans to restore monarchy.Why have not German catch to the power in monarchy.No monarchy is an important reason.You can see Japan.Japan become the second strongest ecomical country with monarchy.
As I have tried to explain the polirtical structure of Germany is quite different from the one that was till 1918. There is no way back without seriously endangering Germany's economy and its position in Europe. noone wants that, especially as the "heirs" to the former German monarchies have no real positive public profile today.
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 01-04-2009, 05:44 AM
Nobility

I disagree that some of the heirs have no positive profile. The Dukes of Bavaria and Wurrtemberg are very well respected in their respective states.
Old 05-24-2009, 04:46 AM
Courtier

I was reading on another royal site that a study done in 2006 showed that many Germans were unsatsified with the way their country is run, beleive enjoy lower living standards and are more pessimistic when looking to the future (Pessimistic Germans Losing Faith in Democracy, Study Shows | Germany | Deutsche Welle | 17.09.2006). Perhaps installing a non-elected royal as Head of State would allow Germans to feel more proud of their country and let them see that the bad times always end and turn out better?
Old 06-05-2009, 07:42 PM
Nobility

I've heard from Germans before that if any pro-monarchy group became too popular they would probably be declared a threat to the current constitution and banned -it is not terribly hard to do. The official government position seems rather hostile to monarchy -though not so much as other republics that ban it outright. I think it would be good for Germany to restore the monarchies. It does not look like there will ever be a time when the events of World War II are not looming in the background but, given that, I think it would be good to have some established connection for modern Germany with German history and traditions before all the ugliness of the World Wars. Of course it wouldn't be *exactly* like the old German Empire but I think there could be a 'black-red-gold monarchy' that would work perfectly well.
Old 06-06-2009, 12:15 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
I've heard from Germans before that if any pro-monarchy group became too popular they would probably be declared a threat to the current constitution and banned -it is not terribly hard to do. The official government position seems rather hostile to monarchy -though not so much as other republics that ban it outright. I think it would be good for Germany to restore the monarchies. It does not look like there will ever be a time when the events of World War II are not looming in the background but, given that, I think it would be good to have some established connection for modern Germany with German history and traditions before all the ugliness of the World Wars. Of course it wouldn't be *exactly* like the old German Empire but I think there could be a 'black-red-gold monarchy' that would work perfectly well.
Banned?You're wrong,they wouldn't be banned,they would never gain the popularity you so desperately hope for to even think on it seriously.Absolute nonsense.You can tell what you like to anyone here,but not to me.Completely unrealistic .

Popularity of the Monarchy is large,but not large enough,and for the most part directed towards foreign Royal Families,ie,the dutch are very popular,so is Swedens Royal House as that has a former german Lady as its Queen.

A Monarchist movement,any,in Germany,is just a sort of couleur locale,and very local at that.Even though I do like and respect George very much,he will never wear a crown,and he knows it as he is very much so a realist.

Germans,like many others,can complain about this that and another thing,just like everybody else,but that doesn't mean they expect a Monarchy to be any better.First of all it would be a Constitutional Monarchal system,gone are the days of little Willy,and then still you
have to wait and see what the cattle votes for,the Vox Populi,always a difficult factor,they hail one one day,down him the next,it has not changed for thousands of odd years.

A Brown sort of incompetent creature/fruitcake,or a capable Merkel,never depending on the Monarch to choose.A Monarch,these days,is above party politics so some of you are mixing up matters,making it jolly futter to read and delete but lacking any substance on reality.

Sorry folks,but the majority of my dear neighbours to the east get all romantic and schwärmerisch at any Royal wedding and visit,but it is Nie Wieder when it comes to actually restoring a Monarchy in Deutschland.
With all due respect to dear HI&RH Prince George.
Old 06-06-2009, 02:01 AM
Super Moderator

It is actually very difficult to forbid a party in Germany. It's a very long proces. Luckily we have not to much parties in the Bundestag as only those who get more than 5% at ERlections get places in Parliamanet. As for reintroducing the Monarchy. Who ouf the german Pretenders should it be? Very difficult. And another Problem is that many of those federal Countries not exist like they did in 1918. For example Baden-Württemberg are the former States BAdem, Württemberg and Hohenzollern. Or look at the saxon duchies and the Reuß and schwarzburg Princiiplaities. They are now all part of Thuringia.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 06-06-2009, 06:01 AM
Administrator

As in 1871, the Bavarians would not welcome a Hohenzollern King (/Kaiser). They'd much prefer a Wittelsbach, one of their own.
Old 06-06-2009, 08:25 AM
Heir Presumptive

In East-Berlin the Royal/Imperial palace was destroyed for a new modern building.
Now they demolished this building for a new royal palace, I think the same as the old one before.
My question in : who will live in this new palace ?
Old 06-06-2009, 09:38 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
In East-Berlin the Royal/Imperial palace was destroyed for a new modern building.
Now they demolished this building for a new royal palace, I think the same as the old one before.
My question in : who will live in this new palace ?
Nobody. They will only rebuild it from outside because it's impossible to rebuild all from inside. Here is a Website where you get more Information. (only in german).

Royal Travel and Events

Old 06-06-2009, 03:01 PM
Heir Presumptive

Silly, unnecessary and unpractical. Lucien is right.
Old 06-09-2009, 04:06 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
It does not look like there will ever be a time when the events of World War II are not looming in the background but, given that, I think it would be good to have some established connection for modern Germany with German history and traditions before all the ugliness of the World Wars. Of course it wouldn't be *exactly* like the old German Empire but I think there could be a 'black-red-gold monarchy' that would work perfectly well.
I think that this is one of the main reasons why people are hostile to monarchies in the 21st century - they see it as being a part of the past; but forget that one of the best things we can do with history is learn from it. No one is saying that we should return to the days of ego-fuelled Emperors fighting over territory, but that national, impartial, constitutional figureheads representing both the glory and dark days of history in order to guide a nation to the future..
Old 06-09-2009, 05:21 AM
Heir Presumptive

I bought at the late Princes Axel of Danemark' s auction a very old photograph black and white date 1887 representing Kaiser Willem Ist, his son Heinrich, his grand-son the future Willem II and his great-grandson Willem , the Kronprinz.
I put it in a beautiful frame..
Such a glory was for the past
Old 06-09-2009, 09:38 AM
Commoner

I guess there might have been a chance if Bavaria would be still a sovereign state. Bavaria is an exception, Royals are still very popular here, and many, many people always hoped before and during the Nazi-Regime that Monarchy will survive.

Old 06-10-2009, 05:25 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatitudo View Post
I guess there might have been a chance if Bavaria would be still a sovereign state. Bavaria is an exception, Royals are still very popular here, and many, many people always hoped before and during the Nazi-Regime that Monarchy will survive.
It helped that the Bavarian Royals were definately anti nazi and suffered under their hands. As I recall CP Rupprecht spent most of the war in hiding and his son Duke Albrecht and his family spent time in the camps.
Old 06-10-2009, 08:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

Yes, he and his family were very good people. He wanted to restore the Bavarian throne and could see in 1943 that Germany was going to lose big. The interesting thing is that by and large Bavarians were Nazis, officially or non-officially. Hitler thrived in that area.