The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Non-Reigning Houses > Royal Families of Germany and Austria > The Royal and Princely Houses of Hohenzollern

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-03-2011, 04:09 AM
Nobility

Today so many sons and daughters from royal and mediatized house have some non equal ancestors ( no 16 ones anymorel, the most are glad when having 8 at least).
I think all of the prussians and his other relatives are glad that he marries a princess at all. The question about confession is a question of precedence and will probably be solved by raising their children as protestants ( I don't really think she'll convert !).

And her mother/ grandmother: it's all water under the bridge now !

Old 02-03-2011, 04:52 AM
Super Moderator

And the interesting thing is that through her paternal great-great grandmother (through which this line of the Family became catholic) their children will also decends from the Habsburgs.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 02-03-2011, 06:20 AM
Aristocracy

Endlich! What kept him? In some strange, mystical way, the relation of the Hohenzollern House to normal life has strengthed the House. But at the same time, note that GF has maintained a thoroughly admirable Royal character. GF is a model of royal decorum who teach lessons to all the other royal houses. His wedding is a true ROYAL wedding; unlike the unequal marriages that now afflict the reigning houses.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:40 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizier View Post
Yet isn't it worth saying that she might still be an iffy partner by traditional Hohenzollern standards?
It depends of the House Law of every House...For example,Regina von Habsburg comes from the union of Sachsen-Meiningen and Korff-Schmising-Kerssenbrock...Obviously Regina was considered good enough for those Houses who require only full membership of a mediatized or sovereign House,but maybe not good enough for the Houses who,along with a full membership,require "equal" ancestry in several generations...

Augusta of Schleswig-Holstein was interesting at that time because she was a good political choice(because of Schleswig-Holstein war)...but while her mother(Hohenlohe-Langenburg) was considered "good enough",her grandmother,a "mere Danish Countess" was not...but,obviously,politics prevailed and she became Wilhelm's first wife...

And,if we speak about ancestry,Wilhelm's second wife Hermine had a much better pedigree with her all 16 immediate ancestors being equal,unlike Augusta Victoria who has only 12 out of 16,if we presume that her ancestor is King Christian VII and not Johann Friedrich,Count von Struensee-that would make 11 out of 16...
Old 02-03-2011, 11:52 AM
Heir Apparent

This engagement is welcome news indeed. The traditional equal marriage is a refreshing change from a wave of commoners. I am looking forward to seeing wedding photos.
Old 02-04-2011, 03:18 AM
Royal Highness

It is wellknown that Otto von Habsburg changed the house laws of the Habsburgs because he is a true democrat who believes in the equality of all people and who worked hard as a member of European parliament for Human Right bills on all levels of society. Some of his brothers/cousins still hold out for the old rules (which asked for those 16 ancestors) but as the Head of the House of Habsburg-Lothringen is was Otto's privilege to make that descision.

Once Georg-Friedrich of Prussia has fulfilled all necessary requirements to become the Head of his family he might change the Hohenzollern House Laws as well.

We should not forget that all monarchs who allowed "unequal" marriages for their family members are the Head of state of democracies who have Human Rights as basis of their constitution. In today's times it would not be political correct to say no to a marriage wish only because the bride is not considered suitable due to her birth (it is something different when it comes to her character/lifestyle/social environment).
Old 02-05-2011, 11:52 PM
Aristocracy

Georg is not marrying Sophie because he has to marry her ... He is marrying her because they are very much in love, and have been dating for several years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizier View Post
I realize that everyone is interested in the fact that Georg married a princess, unlike so many princes (from ruling and formerly ruling houses) nowadays.This is notable and apparently he had legal/financial incentives to do so.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:53 PM
Aristocracy

The requirements for the marriages are not set out in a House law, but in a WILL ...the requirements were stated in Kaiser Wilhelm II's will, which was written after he was in exile. The requirements were set out for the Erbe and nacherbe (Louis Ferdinand and Georg Friedrich). The Will makes no reference to a third generation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
Once Georg-Friedrich of Prussia has fulfilled all necessary requirements to become the Head of his family he might change the Hohenzollern House Laws as well.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:45 PM
Gentry

GF found his Princess another one goes down ! Kudos to them i wish them happiness .
Old 02-18-2011, 01:23 AM
Commoner

I have a question though, will any reigning houses of Europe attend? I've never seen anyone from the house of Hohenzollern attend an occasion (e.g. Wedding, Banquets, Funeral or Burial) of any reigning houses, the only person I know who attended such were HI&RH Grand Duchess Kira, Princess of Prussia when she was still alive after such, I've never seen anyone from their family attend
Old 02-18-2011, 04:23 AM
Nobility

This nuptial engagement is surprising to me as I was away from computer access when they had announced this. It seems to be a great union where two loyal regal persons find an attraction and bond, placing sealing of grandeur for their entwinement. It's good to see. I had hoped that Georg would find love and a romance along the way while following here. So I'm happy. But it is surprising and yet a breath of fresh air. Who knew that he found love when it felt he was going after love.

Wishing this Royal pair the makings of a great dynasty. The World is their oasis and just maybe they will be sovereign and actually in reign someday. Therefore good luck and may you partake in the communion of the people in the land and show as example your way. Long may you both remember your vows and bondage when the time passes and takes place. Cheers.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:10 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by p_caspian View Post
I have a question though, will any reigning houses of Europe attend? I've never seen anyone from the house of Hohenzollern attend an occasion (e.g. Wedding, Banquets, Funeral or Burial) of any reigning houses, the only person I know who attended such were HI&RH Grand Duchess Kira, Princess of Prussia when she was still alive after such, I've never seen anyone from their family attend
Princ Georg Friedrich attended the Weddings of Crown Prince Frederik and Prince Felipe in 2004.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 02-18-2011, 07:38 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Princ Georg Friedrich attended the Weddings of Crown Prince Frederik and Prince Felipe in 2004.
Really? I didn't know that thank you for that information. I hope Prince Georg Friedrich would attend the wedding either Prince William or Prince Albert this year, such a shame I didn't see him in Crown Princess Victoria's wedding.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:16 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny Royalty View Post
Wishing this Royal pair the makings of a great dynasty. The World is their oasis and just maybe they will be sovereign and actually in reign someday. Therefore good luck and may you partake in the communion of the people in the land and show as example your way. Long may you both remember your vows and bondage when the time passes and takes place. Cheers.
Well, they surely won't reign in Germany as the Prince is just the pretendant to the title of "German emperor" and not of the "Emperor of Germany" as the country consists today of a lot of formerly independant monarchies. So even if Germany would like to revert back to a monarchy (which it doesn't) the question would be "Which one?" and I doubt that this time the political powers would choose Prussia's RF.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:47 AM
Nobility

The wedding will be on August the 27 th at the Friedenskirche in Potsdam. It will be an ecumenical wedding.

Prinz von Preußen heiratet in Potsdam | Nachrichten | Vermischtes | 28.02.2011 - 12:14 Uhr
Old 02-28-2011, 03:52 PM
Serene Highness

What Exciting news, a late summer wedding, how nice! A few pictures of the church, it looks quite nice!

Interior
With people
Exterior
Old 03-09-2011, 07:46 AM
Commoner

Invited Reigning Royals?

Would anyone know or guess which of the royal reigning houses would be invited to the wedding of His Royal Highness Prince Georg Friedrich of Prussia and Her Serene Highness Princess Sophie of Isenburg?
Old 03-09-2011, 09:08 AM
Heir Presumptive

I am looking forward to the pix of the wedding especially of his mother. There are so few pix of her !
Old 03-09-2011, 04:16 PM
Nobility

I'm curious to see which of his uncles will attend the wedding.
Old 03-09-2011, 06:34 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by p_caspian View Post
Would anyone know or guess which of the royal reigning houses would be invited to the wedding of His Royal Highness Prince Georg Friedrich of Prussia and Her Serene Highness Princess Sophie of Isenburg?
He attended Felipe's and Frederik's so maybe Spain & Denmark? He's closer to Spain Through Sofia's Grandmother born princess of Prussia. I hope to see the Duke of Braganca with his wife. Goerg was at the Prince of Schaumburg-Lippe's wedding so maybe them. He was also present at the wedding of Hubertus, Hereditary Prince of SCG.It would be nice for either the Kent's or Gloucester's to represent the Queen at the wedding but I'm not holding my breath on that one! LOL