Engagement of Prince Georg Friedrich and Princess Sophie von Isenburg 21 January 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This branch of the family is Roman Catholic, the other branch, the Princes zu Ysenburg und Büdingen, is Protestant.

How will the religion issue work? Will she convert? Will he? Does it matter anymore?

I'm also curious about the religion issue. Does it matter that she's Catholic? Do the family laws of succession stipulate she must be Protestant at the time of her marriage in order for her children to inherit....whatever's left to inherit?

It is quite easy to convert from catholic to protestant ( at least in my region in lower saxony). It doesn't take much time or effort, especially if you are already christ - you just have to say "I will".
So she could convert. Or she persists being catholic and both claim their children to be protestant.

I gues the question about confession was the smallest problem they had. She is a princess and that's what it's all about. German newspaper say: Now, marrying a princess, he doesn't have to worry about his position anymore. Now his uncles can't rain on his parade anymore.

By the way, Elisabeth of Bavaria ( wife of Friedrich Wilhelm IV) was catholic
AND the Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen line is also catholic.

Iirc Prince Georg's grandmother Princess Kyra was russian orthodox and they had two religious ceremonies, orthodox and protestant. So obviously she didn't convert and it was no problem. Therefore I don't see a reason for Princess Sophie to convert, unless she really wants to.

Congratz and all de best..........:heartflower:
Almighty bless you BIG BIG xx

Elisabeth of bavaria was catholic but she converted a few years after the marriage. There was also pressure from her father-in-law King Fredrich Wilhelm III. and finally she agreed before the marriage that she would convert after the marriage. But nowadays it's no problem. Princess Kira also remained orthodox. I think Sophie has to agree that eventuell children will be raised in the protestand faith. And about the marriage it could be either a protestant or an oecumenical Wedding Service.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you think any royals from currently reigning houses will attend the wedding? If it's in Potsdam what church would be most likely to host the event?

Do you think any royals from currently reigning houses will attend the wedding? If it's in Potsdam what church would be most likely to host the event?

perhaps someone from Belgium as Sophie's brother-in-law Archduke Martin of Austria-Esteis the brother of Archduke Lorenz. Don't know about churches in Potsdam but if i remember right the Nikolaichurch is quiet big.

Another possiblity may be the Friedenskirche (where 12 years ago was celebrated the wedding of Archduke Ferdinand of Austria and Countess Katharina von Hardenberg).

Only a few days after the engagement was announced Prince Georg Friedrich and Princess Sophie visited together the Hohenzollern Castle where Sophie was presented to the staff of the Castle. It was however not the first time that she visited it.
The manager of the Castle said the reason that the Wedding will take place in Potsdam is that the Castle is too small. But she added that it would be a perhaps great place for a christening.
Hechingen: Prinz führt Braut auf Zoller ein - Schwarzwälder Bote
Here you can find siome pics i took of the Castlea few years ago when i visited it:
Royal Travel Blog: Hohenzollern Castle

Thanks for the wonderful pictures Stefan! The chapel does look small, but is the perfect size for a christening, but we should probably wait until they're married before speculating about that. ;) What palace/castle does the family own in Potsdam?

Thanks for the wonderful pictures Stefan! The chapel does look small, but is the perfect size for a christening, but we should probably wait until they're married before speculating about that. ;) What palace/castle does the family own in Potsdam?
Sadly the don't own any Castle in Potsdam now. After 1918 the Family keept Cecilienhof Castle and Oels Castle in Silesia but both where lost after the War so they only own 2/3 of Hohenzollern Castle now.
I think if the Wedding had taken place at Hohenzollern Castle the Wedding Service would have been in a Church at Hechingen and the celebration at the Castle. It was this way when Princess Désirée of Hohenzollern married Hereditary Count Heinrich of Ortenburg in 1990.

To add to Stefan's pictorial of Burg Hohenzollern, here's a large pic which shows the castle at its most imposing...

That's rather unfortunate that they only own 2/3rds of a castle so I wonder where the reception will be held at a hotel or restaurant maybe?

That's rather unfortunate that they only own 2/3rds of a castle so I wonder where the reception will be held at a hotel or restaurant maybe?

Perhaps they are allowed by the foundation prussian Castles and Gardens (who are in charge of the Castles in Potsdam, Berlin and Brandenburg) to use or rent one of the Castles at Potsdam.

That would be a nice gesture! I'm excited for them to start releasing more info about the wedding! :D

Sophie's Ancestry: Below Traditional Standards?

I realize that everyone is interested in the fact that Georg married a princess, unlike so many princes (from ruling and formerly ruling houses) nowadays.This is notable and apparently he had legal/financial incentives to do so.

Yet isn't it worth saying that she might still be an iffy partner by traditional Hohenzollern standards? I say this because her mother was merely a countess by birth and NOT from a mediatized comital family like Georg's mother (from the formerly ruling House of Castell-Rudenhausen). Similarly, Sophie's paternal grandmother was from a non-royal comital house too. I guess during Wilhelmine times if the Hohenzollerns could have applied the rule that if the Isenburg laws permitted princes to marry non-royal countesses, then that was OK, but it would be frowned upon at the very least, I think.

Before anyone brings up the example of the last Kaiser's wife Augusta Viktoria or "Dona", I would say that yes, she had a GRANDMOTHER who was a mere countess and this caused comment, but at least both of her parents were a prince and princess by birth.

I agree with what you are saying but would add that Sophie might not have been considered a suitavle spouse because of her religion. Also I suspect that Castell-Rudenhausen mught not have been considered suitable for for the heir

Today so many sons and daughters from royal and mediatized house have some non equal ancestors ( no 16 ones anymorel, the most are glad when having 8 at least).
I think all of the prussians and his other relatives are glad that he marries a princess at all. The question about confession is a question of precedence and will probably be solved by raising their children as protestants ( I don't really think she'll convert !).

And her mother/ grandmother: it's all water under the bridge now !:whistling:

And the interesting thing is that through her paternal great-great grandmother (through which this line of the Family became catholic) their children will also decends from the Habsburgs.

Endlich! What kept him? In some strange, mystical way, the relation of the Hohenzollern House to normal life has strengthed the House. But at the same time, note that GF has maintained a thoroughly admirable Royal character. GF is a model of royal decorum who teach lessons to all the other royal houses. His wedding is a true ROYAL wedding; unlike the unequal marriages that now afflict the reigning houses.

Yet isn't it worth saying that she might still be an iffy partner by traditional Hohenzollern standards?
It depends of the House Law of every House...For example,Regina von Habsburg comes from the union of Sachsen-Meiningen and Korff-Schmising-Kerssenbrock...Obviously Regina was considered good enough for those Houses who require only full membership of a mediatized or sovereign House,but maybe not good enough for the Houses who,along with a full membership,require "equal" ancestry in several generations...

Augusta of Schleswig-Holstein was interesting at that time because she was a good political choice(because of Schleswig-Holstein war)...but while her mother(Hohenlohe-Langenburg) was considered "good enough",her grandmother,a "mere Danish Countess" was not...but,obviously,politics prevailed and she became Wilhelm's first wife...

And,if we speak about ancestry,Wilhelm's second wife Hermine had a much better pedigree with her all 16 immediate ancestors being equal,unlike Augusta Victoria who has only 12 out of 16,if we presume that her ancestor is King Christian VII and not Johann Friedrich,Count von Struensee-that would make 11 out of 16...

This engagement is welcome news indeed. The traditional equal marriage is a refreshing change from a wave of commoners. I am looking forward to seeing wedding photos.

It is wellknown that Otto von Habsburg changed the house laws of the Habsburgs because he is a true democrat who believes in the equality of all people and who worked hard as a member of European parliament for Human Right bills on all levels of society. Some of his brothers/cousins still hold out for the old rules (which asked for those 16 ancestors) but as the Head of the House of Habsburg-Lothringen is was Otto's privilege to make that descision.

Once Georg-Friedrich of Prussia has fulfilled all necessary requirements to become the Head of his family he might change the Hohenzollern House Laws as well.

We should not forget that all monarchs who allowed "unequal" marriages for their family members are the Head of state of democracies who have Human Rights as basis of their constitution. In today's times it would not be political correct to say no to a marriage wish only because the bride is not considered suitable due to her birth (it is something different when it comes to her character/lifestyle/social environment).

Georg is not marrying Sophie because he has to marry her ... He is marrying her because they are very much in love, and have been dating for several years.
I realize that everyone is interested in the fact that Georg married a princess, unlike so many princes (from ruling and formerly ruling houses) nowadays.This is notable and apparently he had legal/financial incentives to do so.

The requirements for the marriages are not set out in a House law, but in a WILL ...the requirements were stated in Kaiser Wilhelm II's will, which was written after he was in exile. The requirements were set out for the Erbe and nacherbe (Louis Ferdinand and Georg Friedrich). The Will makes no reference to a third generation.
Once Georg-Friedrich of Prussia has fulfilled all necessary requirements to become the Head of his family he might change the Hohenzollern House Laws as well.

GF found his Princess another one goes down :lol: ! Kudos to them i wish them happiness :) .

I have a question though, will any reigning houses of Europe attend? I've never seen anyone from the house of Hohenzollern attend an occasion (e.g. Wedding, Banquets, Funeral or Burial) of any reigning houses, the only person I know who attended such were HI&RH Grand Duchess Kira, Princess of Prussia when she was still alive after such, I've never seen anyone from their family attend

Back
Top Bottom