Death and funeral of Prince Johann-Georg of Hohenzollern - 2/12 March 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LadyFinn

Imperial Majesty
City
Southwest
Country
Finland
Princess Birgitta's husband Prince Johann Georg of Hohenzollern has died.
Prince Johann Georg of Hohenzollern, husband of the king's sister Princess Birgitta, passed away today after a period of illness in a hospital in Munich.
On the occasion of the death of Prince Johann Georg of Hohenzollern the king gave the following statement:
- I and my family have with great sadness received the news that Princess Birgitta's husband Prince Johann Georg of Hohenzollern has died. Our thoughts are with Princess Birgitta and family.
Prinsessan Birgittas make Prins Johann Georg av Hohenzollern har avlidit - Sveriges Kungahus

Margareta Thorgren says that Princess Birgitta contacted the king on Wednesday morning to submit the news.
On Wednesday afternoon, it is too early to share any information about when or where the funeral will take place and the degree to which the royal family will attend.
- The king received this news with great sadness. He was the king's brother-in-law, so a close family member has passed away. Information on the sad news reached the royal family this morning. It is therefore too early to discuss the circumstances surrounding the funeral, Thorgren says.
Johann Georg av Hohenzollern är död _ Nyheter _ Expressen
Translation

Svensk Damtidning writes about the death of Johann Georg (Hansi):
The couple later separated and Birgitta has in recent years been living in Mallorca, but she and Hansi have remained married and close friends. Hansi worked for many years as director of the museum Kunsthalle in Munich. He was very interested in Swedish painting and valued artists such as Carl Larsson and the painting prince Eugen very high.
After separation Hansi began a relationship with German Sabine Leu, formerly his colleague.
- But I have Birgitta in Mallorca and I travel there occasionally. She loves the heat and can not stand the cold at home. It suits her well to stay there because she loves to play golf. I do not. I live here, this is how it looks. We have been married for many years now and for Christmas she comes here and celebrates with us, Hansi told to Svensk Damtidning.
Prinsessan Birgitta i sorg – maken Hansi är avliden _ Svensk Damtidning
Translation

Last edited:
Really sorry to hear about HH Prince Johann Georg of Hohenzollern's death. Condolences to HRH Princess Brigitta and to the Family!

My sympathies to the families Hohenzollern and Bernadotte.

The late Prince Johann Georg was an uncle to the present Fürst, his nephew.

GENERATION 1 ------------------------------------------------

Friedrich Fürst von Hohenzollern (1891-1965)
x Margarethe Prinzessin von Sachsen (1900-1962)
=
Johann Georg

GENERATION 2 ------------------------------------------------

Johann Georg Prinz von Hohenzollern (1932-2016)
x Birgitta Prinsessa av Sverige (1937)
=
Carl Christian Prinz von Hohenzollern (1962)
Désirée Prinzessin von Hohenzollern (1963)
Hubertus Prinz von Hohenzollern (1966)

Picture of Johann Georg and Birgitta

GENERATION 1 -------------------------------------------------

Friedrich Fürst von Hohenzollern (1891-1965)
x Margarethe Prinzessin von Sachsen (1900-1962)
=
Friedrich Wilhelm

GENERATION 2 -------------------------------------------------

Friedrich Wilhelm Fürst von Hohenzollern (1924-2010)
x Margarita Prinzessin zu Leiningen (1936-1996)
=
Karl Friedrich

GENERATION 3 --------------------------------------------------

Karl Friedrich Fürst von Hohenzollern (1952)
x Alexandra Schenck Gräfin von Stauffenberg (1960)
=
Alexander Prinz von Hohenzollern (1987)
Philippa Prinzessin von Hohenzollern (1988)
Flaminia Prinzessin von Hohenzollern (1992)
Antonia Prinzessin von Hohenzollern (1995)

Last edited:
My condolences to the Family.

The parents of the late Prince Johann Georg got seven children and with the death of the Prince only their youngest child is still alive, aged 73 years now. The siblings of the late Prince Johann Georg:

Gräfin Heinrich Maria von Waldburg zu Wolfegg und Waldsee née Maria Antonia Prinzessin von Hohenzollern (1921-2011)

Frau Hans Huber, formerly Frau Werner Hess, formerly Prinzessin Konstantin von Bayern née Maria Adelgunde Prinzessin von Hohenzollern (1921-2006)

Maria Theresia Prinzessin von Hohenzollern (1922-2004) unmarried

Friedrich Wilhelm Fürst von Hohenzollern (1924-2010) married to Margarita Prinzessin zu Leiningen

Franz Josef Prinz von Hohenzollern (1926-1996) married 1st to Maria Ferdinandine Prinzessin von Thurn und Taxis and married 2nd to Diane Marguérite princesse de Bourbon de Parme

Johann Georg Prinz von Hohenzollern (1932-2016) married to Birgitta Prinsessan av Sverige

Ferfried Maximilian Prinz von Hohenzollern (1943) married 1st Frau Angela von Morgen (nobility), married 2nd Frau Eliane Etter, married 3rd Frau Maja Synke Meinert

Last edited:
May His Serene Highness Prince Johann Georg of Hohenzollern rest in peace

The parents of the late Prince Johann Georg got seven children and with the death of the Prince only their youngest child is still alive, aged 73 years now. The siblings of the late Prince Johann Georg:

Gräfin Heinrich Maria von Waldburg zu Wolfegg und Waldsee née Maria Antonia Prinzessin von Hohenzollern (1921-2011)

Frau Hans Huber, formerly Frau Werner Hess, formerly Prinzessin Konstantin von Bayern née Maria Adelgunde Prinzessin von Hohenzollern (1921-2006)

Maria Theresia Prinzessin von Hohenzollern (1922-2004) unmarried

Friedrich Wilhelm Fürst von Hohenzollern (1924-2010) married to Margarita Prinzessin zu Leiningen

Franz Josef Prinz von Hohenzollern (1926-1996) married 1st to Maria Ferdinandine Prinzessin von Thurn und Taxis and married 2nd to Diane Marguérite princesse de Bourbon de Parme

Johann Georg Prinz von Hohenzollern (1932-2016) married to Birgitta Prinsessan av Sverige

Ferfried Maximilian Prinz von Hohenzollern (1943) married 1st Frau Angela von Morgen (nobility), married 2nd Frau Eliane Etter, married 3rd Frau Maja Synke Meinert

I remember reading the war time diary of a Russian princess where she elaborately describes the grand wedding between Maria Adelgunde and Konstantin. In a passage she mentions the brides young male relatives, one of whom must've been Johan Georg.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Very sad news. Even though they have been separated for years, it seems they were still quite close. My condolences to Birgitta,their three children, six grandchildren, and to the extended family as well.

RIP Prince Johann-Georg. My condolences to his family.

So continues the circle of life and death; Prince Oscar Carl Olof of Sweden began his life on the same day his great-uncle, Prince Johann Georg of Hohenzollern, succumbed to a short illness. Codolences to HRH Princess Birgitta.

Has a funeral date or venue been announced yet?

King Carl Gustaf started on Thursday the Cabinet meeting with the ministers, where he was going to announce the name of the new Prince, with a few words about Prince Johann Georg of Hohenzollern Sigmaringen. The king said that while it was a happy occasion for the family, yesterday was also a sad day for them, since princess Birgitta's husband Prince Johann Georg passed away the same day.

It was thoughtful of him to mention his brother-in-law at this occasion.

Condolences to his children and grandchildren.
Rest in peace.

Wonder if he will be laid to rest in a family grave in Germany or at the Royal Burial Site at Haga Park in Stockholm.

What we definitely know is that he was a knight of the order of the seraphim and therefore his coat of arms will be taken in procession from the Royal Palace to Riddarholm Church where it will be placed on the wall inside the church. The bells of Riddarholm Church will also sound between 12.00 - 13.00 swedish time on his funeral day and the Church wich is usually closed at this time of the year will be open for the public during this hour.

Last edited:
Wonder if he will be laid to rest in a family grave in Germany or at the Royal Burial Site at Haga Park in Stockholm.

The Funeral Service will be at the Hedinger Chruch in Sigmaringen. There is also the Vault of the Princely Family of Hohenzollern where among others his parents and his brother the late Fürst Freidrich Wilhelm are buried so it could be that will also be buried there but it is not mentioned in the Article.
Lokales / Sigmaringen / Hohenzollern-Prinz Johann Georg gestorben / ZOLLERN-ALB-KURIER

Didn't Birgitta once say that she planned to be buried in Sweden? I know they were separated for many years so I doubt Hansi would be buried in Sweden at her side.

Didn't Birgitta once say that she planned to be buried in Sweden? I know they were separated for many years so I doubt Hansi would be buried in Sweden at her side.

Birgitta was asked by a journalist if she wanted to move back to Sweden.

She said that the only time she plans to move back to Sweden is after her death, to be cremated and buried at the Royal Burial Site in Stockholm.

So i guess either Hansi will have his funeral service in Germany and then be laid to rest in Stockholm or they will be buried apart.

As they have been separated for so long i also would not be surprised if he is to be buried in Germany and she in Sweden.

Last edited:
No surprise that she doesn't plan to return to Sweden. She hasn't lived with her husband in many years. It isn't as if she is living in their family marriage home and she is returning to her family.

Nor is it surprising that they would be buried apart. They are both closely linked to their own families and countries. Hansi's children will one day rest in Germany no doubt. Birgitta is still very much a princess of Sweden and it is no surprise she will wish to be buried with her parents and siblings.

the late Prince Johann Georg Serafim Collar and Sash will go back to the Order?

Press release from the swedish royal court
Funeral for Prince Johann Georg of Hohenzollern
The royal couple and prince Carl Philip attend at the funeral service. Besides Princess Birgitta and the family to the funeral also participate Princess Désirée and Baron Niclas Silfverschiöld and Princess Christina. Princess Margaretha is represented by her daughter Sybilla von Dincklage.
The funeral at the Hedinger Kirche is done privately without media presence.
Begravning för Johann Georg Prinz von Hohenzollern - Sveriges Kungahus
Translation

Last edited:
Which members of the Hohenzollern House will be present?

The seraphim coat of arms of Prince Johann Georg was brought in military procession from the Royal Palace to Riddarholmen Church today where it was placed in front of the high altar while the church was open for the public. The church held open between 12.00 - 13.00 p.m while the bells rang and the Royal life guards stood guard.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 703
Back
Top Bottom