Coats of Arms, Standards, Flags, Anthems, Hymns and Marches of the Hohenzollerns

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Warren

Administrator in Memoriam
City
Sydney
Country
Australia
Prussia Imperial Arms
(a curiosity)

actually Knights of the Teutonic Order
mistakenly shown in Wikipedia as the Imperial Arms of Prussia

[image removed to avoid unnecessary confusion]

Last edited:
Prussia - Kaiser's Arms

PrussiaKaisersArms.png

Last edited:
Are those the Prussian arms? I did not think Prussia ever used a double-headed eagle?

And what do we see on top of the crown? ;)

It's certainly a curiosity. The Crown is Imperial Austria, the black cross underneath it is the Prussian Iron Cross, and the Prussian Arms (single-headed eagle) are in the very centre where the red and white Arms of Austria would normally be.
I have no idea on what occasions this amalgam of Prussia and the Holy Roman Empire/Austria would have been used.

Last edited:
Warren said:
It's certainly a curiosity. .....
I have no idea on what occasions this amalgam of Prussia and the Holy Roman Empire/Austria would have been used.

Hope for the future? A Hohenzollern marries a Habsburg and the monarchy is restored in Prussia and Austria?

A standard of the Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen family.

Attachments

• Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen Standard.gif
    Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen Standard.gif
    4.5 KB · Views: 1,678
Prussian Royal Anthems, Hymns and Marches

I found a march/song with the title 'Wir wollen unseren alten Kaiser Wilhelm wieder haben' (we want our old kaiser wilhelm back) by German singer Heino. The song is on the melody of Richard Henrion's 'Fehrbelliner Reitermarschs' from 1893.

YouTube - Wir wollen unseren alten KAISER WILHELM wiederhaben!

And now the Emperor's hymn, which sounds familiar (the Royal hymn of Norway has the same melody):

YouTube - Heil dir im Siegerkranz

Text:

1. Heil dir im Siegerkranz, Herrscher des Vaterlands! Heil, Kaiser, dir! I: Fühl in des Thrones Glanz Die hohe Wonne ganz, Liebling des Volks zu sein! Heil Kaiser, dir! :I

2. Nicht Roß, nicht Reisige Sichern die steile Höh', Wo Fürsten steh'n: I:Liebe des Vaterlands, Liebe des freien Manns Gründen den Herrscherthron Wie Fels im Meer.:I

3. Heilige Flamme, glüh', Glüh' und erlösche nie Fürs Vaterland! I:Wir alle stehen dann Mutig für einen Mann Kämpfen und bluten gern Für Thron und Reich!:I

4. Handel und Wissenschaft Heben mit Mut und Kraft Ihr Haupt empor! I:Krieger- und Heldentat Finden ihr Lorbeerblatt Treu aufgehoben dort, An deinem Thron!:I

5. Dauernder stets zu blüh'n Weh' unsre Flagge kühn Auf hoher See! I:Wie so stolz und hehr Wirft über Land und Meer Weithin der deutsche Aar Flammenden Blick.:I

6. Sei, Kaiser Wilhelm, hier Lang' deines Volkes Zier, Der Menschheit Stolz! I:Fühl' in des Thrones Glanz, Die hohe Wonne ganz, Liebling des Volks zu sein! Heil, Kaiser, dir!:I

Original recording (+ clips):

YouTube - Die deutsche Kaiserhymne (Originalaufnahme)

Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen: Royal Standard

(Former) Kingdom of Roumania

23sejb5.gif

The fictitious coat of arms above are those of the Imperial Teutonic Order.
These are a mix of the Imperial Austrian, Holy roman and German Empire.
The Teutonic order was founded in the 12th century to manage German hospitals during the Crusades in Jerusalem and safeguard the passage for German pilgrims. After a lot of development they still exist as a religious order in Austria. http://www.deutscher-orden.at/ These arms above represent a military Teutonic Order, which does not exist anymore.
Greets
Nicolas

Attachments

• Wappen Deutsches Orden.jpg
    Wappen Deutsches Orden.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 2,024
  • Halskruis van een Deutsch und Hochmeister.jpg
    Halskruis van een Deutsch und Hochmeister.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 581
  • Erzherzog Wilhelm.jpg
    Erzherzog Wilhelm.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 597
And now the Emperor's hymn, which sounds familiar (the Royal hymn of Norway has the same melody):

Interesting.... It's also the same tune as England's "God Save The Queen [or King]."

Found these in an encylopedia of flags. In the first file, the one on the left is that of the German Emperor and the one on the right that of the Empress used from 1871-90; the second file is the Emperor and Empress's from 1890-1981, with the only real change being the eagles on the yellow background.

:previous:Here is the second file mentioned above. Sorry, my computer was having problems at the time..:)

Attachments

• prussia flag 1.jpg
    prussia flag 1.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 1,570
  • prussia 2.jpg
    prussia 2.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 1,224
Last edited by a moderator:
It's certainly a curiosity. The Crown is Imperial Austria, the black cross underneath it is the Prussian Iron Cross, and the Prussian Arms (single-headed eagle) are in the very centre where the red and white Arms of Austria would normally be.

This arms appears on Wikipedia as those of the German Empire. Perhaps it has something to do with the Austro-Prussian rivalry?

The fictitious coat of arms above are those of the Imperial Teutonic Order.
These are a mix of the Imperial Austrian, Holy roman and German Empire.
The Teutonic order was founded in the 12th century to manage German hospitals during the Crusades in Jerusalem and safeguard the passage for German pilgrims. After a lot of development they still exist as a religious order in Austria. http://www.deutscher-orden.at/ These arms above represent a military Teutonic Order, which does not exist anymore.
Greets
Nicolas

He's right.:graduate: This Imperial Eagle is the symbol of the Knights of the Teutonic Order. Since the actual knights don't exist anymore, the Eagle is not used anymore. This Imperial Eagle combines elements from Prussia, Germany, Austria, the Holy Roman Empire, and the Byzantine Empire.
It's found on this site:
Historic and Present List of Knights of The Teutonic Order

Attachments

• EagleFile0113.jpg
    EagleFile0113.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 3,788
  • 500px-Coat_of_arms_of_Teutonic_Order.svg.png
    500px-Coat_of_arms_of_Teutonic_Order.svg.png
    113 KB · Views: 1,164
  • teutonichochmeisterarmsteutonic.png
    teutonichochmeisterarmsteutonic.png
    49.5 KB · Views: 2,872
Imperial and Royal Standards

If you want German Royal Flags, you want Imperial Standards. Here's a few:
1. The Royal Standard of Prussia and the House of Hohenzollern
2. The Imperial Standard of Wilhelm I
3. The Imperial Standard of Wilhelm II

The third one probably makes for the best fit. :orb::germanempire:

Attachments

• 1000px-Royal_Standard_of_the_King_of_Prussia_(1871–1918).svg.jpg
    1000px-Royal_Standard_of_the_King_of_Prussia_(1871–1918).svg.jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 939
  • 1000px-Kaiserstandarte_Version1.svg.jpg
    1000px-Kaiserstandarte_Version1.svg.jpg
    219.7 KB · Views: 540
  • 1000px-Kaiserstandarte.svg.jpg
    1000px-Kaiserstandarte.svg.jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 444
Last edited:
1. Standard of the Queen of Prussia
2. Standard of the Kingdom of Prussia

Attachments

• Prussia Queen's Standard.gif
    Prussia Queen's Standard.gif
    14.7 KB · Views: 851
  • Prussia Kingdom of Standard.gif
    Prussia Kingdom of Standard.gif
    6.9 KB · Views: 671
What flag do they fly at the two castles?

If you want German Royal Flags, you want Imperial Standards. Here's a few:
1. The Royal Standard of Prussia and the House of Hohenzollern
2. The Imperial Standard of Wilhelm I
3. The Imperial Standard of Wilhelm II

The third one probably makes for the best fit. :orb::germanempire:

Unfortunately that is not entirely correct.
1. This is the Royal Standard of the King of Prussia (1889-1918).
It is NOT the Standard of the House of Hohenzollern. If the bunting were white instead of red then it would be the Standard of Members of the Royal Prussian Family (1889-1918)
2. This is NOT the Imperial Standard (1871-1889). The bunting for the Imperial Standard would be yellow, the crown is the Imperial Crown and the eagle on the shield is the eagle used during the years 1871-1889.
So this is a mixture which did not have existed in reality.
3. Yes, this is the Imperial Standard from 1889 to 1918.

Regards
Alex R.

Painters of Imperial German Coats of Arms in Documents

Hi all -

I'm a recent joiner, but I had a question about Imperial German diploms, those documents that would be a formal document making one a prince, or a knight etc.

They usually had a painted illustration of the new coat of arms for the recipient, usually on vellum, and signed by the artist.

Is there any good book, website, association, or individual person (english or german) that would be able to help me find out more about such artists, or about the process of how the documents were made?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom