The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-11-2017, 12:39 AM
Aristocracy

Second Empire of Brazil Anybody?

Well nobody said it'd be a quick and easy fight. All we can do at the moment is continue campaigning and spreading the cause, with hard work and maybe another decade or so I'm sure monarchists and royalists will get somewhere in Brazil. Any new opinion polls lately, I mean there has to be more Brazilian monarchists than there were in the 1993 referendum. Right?

-Frozen Royalist

Old 11-11-2017, 11:18 AM
Heir Presumptive

Truth. I think there are many monarchists in Brazil and the movement is strong. I think there will be a new referendum in a few years.

Old 11-11-2017, 12:27 PM
Majesty

As long as the Brazilian Imperial House itself is not united, any chance on a restoration is non-existent. The House of Brazil needs to get all noses into the same direction and assemble behind one undisputed pretender with a strong charisma and a good PR strategy.
Old 11-14-2017, 10:28 PM
Aristocracy

Maybe the Imperial Family could be more united in a few years after Prince Bertrand of Orleans-Braganza hits the bucket, considering how controversial he is. Perhaps Prince Joao or Prince Rafael could actually be unifiers of the Imperial Family considering they're popular and a lot younger than Prince Bertrand.

-Frozen Royalist

P.S. Honestly I don't really care for Prince Bertrand anyway, he is way too conservative for Brazil IMO, also he's too old.
Old 12-03-2017, 11:42 AM
Aristocracy

Nothing really new poll wise or well anything else really in the restoration department but it is nice that the Brazilian Monarchy along with possible restorations are still talked about in a relatively positive manner.

Here is the website where the monarchy is being discussed:
https://brazilian.report/2017/12/01/...azilian-style/

I honestly do think that Dom Rafael would make a good emperor, let's just hope he can actually unite the entire dynasty under his name in the future.

-Frozen Royalist

P.S. It still boggles my mind about some nations that insist on keeping the same government type no matter how many times it has failed or been flipped on its own head. I mean are people honestly satisfied in Brazil with history repeating itself over and over again with corrupt president after corrupt president with a pinch of incompetent and greedy cabinets and a dab of a chance of coup d'etat. I mean I know the restoration of the monarchy is quite the distance (thankfully Brazil isn't as bad as other former monarchies restoration wise but still), but shouldn't it be time for Brazilians to consider at least a brand new system for the nation entirely, at least establish a parliamentary democracy and introduce a prime minister/chancellor for the country and make the president a figurehead or something. I know that might not curb corruption immediately but at least it would be trying something new.
Old 12-04-2017, 05:00 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I suppose that instead of a corrupt president they will go to have a corrupt prime minister. Reinstating the monarchy will not miraculously solve all sorts of problems, including corruption.

What makes you think that Dom Rafael would make a good emperor?
Old 12-18-2017, 02:37 PM
Aristocracy

The reason why I suggested Dom Rafael is because he genuinely seems very interested in the job from what I've heard and he's young. I know there is the argument that he would be inexperienced but I think being young and not too tied to vastly conservative organizations would help in the matter (I understand Brazil is a Catholic nation but they aren't really all that conservative like the kind of stuff that comes out of Dom Bertrand's mouth).

The reason why I advocate a restored Empire of Brazil isn't just because I'm a monarchist and I think there should be more parliamentary constitutional monarchies and less presidential republics but mainly because I see restoration as a step towards combating corruption. I know either having an Emperor or a president wouldn't make much of a difference like the saying "it doesn't matter whether the cat is black or white, it just needs to hunt mice" but when you look at the UK and Japan corruption is rarely an issue and they tend to have much better economies most of the time. What I'm getting at is that reform could likely come with a possible restoration with Brazilians demanding change from their politicians to cut off the rotten bits of the giant nation of South America and become more like the constitutional monarchies the monarchists wish to aspire to be like. I know it may seem illogical to some of you but my idea of the restoration is that it could lead to the people clamoring for the nation to become a powerful modern empire rather than a rapidly decaying republic.

-Frozen Royalist
Old 12-18-2017, 03:07 PM
Majesty

There is corruption, nepotism, favoritism, in all monarchies. Of course corruption vastly differs from Zimbabwe to Sweden, but the difference has to do with the general welfare, with equality, with the rule of law, etc.

Proof?

The republic of Switzerland, the Federal Republic of Germany or the Finnish Republic have as little corruption as the Kingdom of Norway or the Grand-Duchy of Luxembourg.

I don't think good governance and public morale has anything to do with a the way the head of state has achieved his/her position.
Old 12-18-2017, 04:03 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Royalist View Post
The reason why I suggested Dom Rafael is because he genuinely seems very interested in the job from what I've heard and he's young. I know there is the argument that he would be inexperienced but I think being young and not too tied to vastly conservative organizations would help in the matter (I understand Brazil is a Catholic nation but they aren't really all that conservative like the kind of stuff that comes out of Dom Bertrand's mouth).

The reason why I advocate a restored Empire of Brazil isn't just because I'm a monarchist and I think there should be more parliamentary constitutional monarchies and less presidential republics but mainly because I see restoration as a step towards combating corruption. I know either having an Emperor or a president wouldn't make much of a difference like the saying "it doesn't matter whether the cat is black or white, it just needs to hunt mice" but when you look at the UK and Japan corruption is rarely an issue and they tend to have much better economies most of the time. What I'm getting at is that reform could likely come with a possible restoration with Brazilians demanding change from their politicians to cut off the rotten bits of the giant nation of South America and become more like the constitutional monarchies the monarchists wish to aspire to be like. I know it may seem illogical to some of you but my idea of the restoration is that it could lead to the people clamoring for the nation to become a powerful modern empire rather than a rapidly decaying republic.

-Frozen Royalist
How much known is really HRH Prince Dom Rafael in Brazil?
Old 01-31-2018, 09:47 PM
Aristocracy

Just out of curiosity about the 1993 referendum I've noticed that although 10.2% supported restoring the monarchy and 66.0% supporting retaining the republic, what about the other 23.8% of the votes in the referendum? What exactly was all that about?

-Frozen Royalist
Old 01-31-2018, 11:20 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Royalist View Post
Just out of curiosity about the 1993 referendum I've noticed that although 10.2% supported restoring the monarchy and 66.0% supporting retaining the republic, what about the other 23.8% of the votes in the referendum? What exactly was all that about?

-Frozen Royalist
Those percentages account for the entire population, not just those who voted, who were eligible to. The missing 23.8% is made up of people who either chose not to vote, or their votes were invalid so not counted.
Old 02-01-2018, 05:35 AM
Heir Apparent

Any recent polls about the support for Monarchy?
Old 03-10-2018, 12:48 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Real View Post
Prince D.Antonio of Orleans and Bragança receives honor of Portuguese monarchical entity
Príncipe D.Antonio de Orleans e Bragança recebe honraria de entidade monárquica portuguesa - Blog_Real - O Blog das Monarquias
I understand there is an argument that the Orléans and Bragança are not Portuguese and renounced their succession rights in Portugal, but I believe that it would make more sense for Portuguese monarchists to support a double restoration of the monarchy in Portugal and Brazil, in a personal union of the crowns under an Orleáns and Bragança king, rather than supporting the Miguelist succession under D. Duarte Pio.
Old 03-10-2018, 05:58 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
I understand there is an argument that the Orléans and Bragança are not Portuguese and renounced their succession rights in Portugal, but I believe that it would make more sense for Portuguese monarchists to support a double restoration of the monarchy in Portugal and Brazil, in a personal union of the crowns under an Orleáns and Bragança king, rather than supporting the Miguelist succession under D. Duarte Pio.
However, it seems extremely unlikely to me that a 'new' personal union is created if a monarchy would ever be restored (either in Portugal and/or Brazil). If a restoration would happen, two separate heads of states seem far more likely.
Old 03-10-2018, 06:50 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Portugal has its own royal family. And Brazil has its Imperial House. A union of the crowns is highly impossible and, at the moment, does not make sense.
The goal was never this.
Old 03-11-2018, 11:47 PM
Aristocracy

Might I recommend something like a Portuguese Commonwealth of sorts with a restored Empire of Brazil and Kingdom of Portugal only in this case the head of the Commonwealth would alternate between the monarch of Portugal and the monarch of Brazil instead of a dual union between the two nations. I also recommend including Angola, Mozambique and East Timor into this Commonwealth because of their association with the Portuguese Empire. Essentially this would be a Portuguese equivalent of the British Commonwealth of Nations that I have in mind and monarchies not tied with the Commonwealth Realm do exist like Malaysia, Lesotho and Swaziland. The question is who would lead the proposed commonwealth first and where would the capital/headquarters of this proposed commonwealth be?

-Frozen Royalist
Old 03-12-2018, 09:18 AM
Heir Apparent

The Princes of Orleans Braganca should not be really involved in.politivs even if some of them do not have dynastic rights.
Old 03-12-2018, 12:55 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Portugal has its own royal family. And Brazil has its Imperial House. A union of the crowns is highly impossible and, at the moment, does not make sense.
The goal was never this.
Didn't the former constitution of the Kingdom of Portugal bar all of D. Miguel's descendants from ascending the throne ?

The Orléans and Bragança are the most senior descendants of D. Pedro IV (D. Pedro I of Brazil) assuming maternal lines are not excluded. They seem like better candidates to the Portuguese throne than the Miguelist pretender. Besides, a personal union between the crowns of Brazil and Portugal would significantly raise the international visibility of the Portuguese monarchy in a post-restoration scenario.
Old 05-06-2018, 03:11 PM
Heir Presumptive

Prince of the Brazilian imperial family will be a candidate for federal deputy
Dom Luiz Philippe is the main pro-monarchy group name that will contest the 2018 elections.

https://translate.google.pt/translat...gb6exj9gk6qd8a
Old 05-06-2018, 09:03 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Prince of the Brazilian imperial family will be a candidate for federal deputy
Dom Luiz Philippe is the main pro-monarchy group name that will contest the 2018 elections.

https://translate.google.pt/translat...gb6exj9gk6qd8a
,It is a mistake for members of deposed Royal Houses to run for elected offices and become partisan politicians.