The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Non-Reigning Houses > The Imperial Family of Brazil

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-05-2013, 10:14 PM
Heir Presumptive

To be an Emperor, you must have an Empire. One nation is not an Empire. Actually, I know a great deal about Brazil and it is a lovely country. Just a country, not an Empire. It was part of an Empire hundreds of years ago, not the Empire.

Old 09-06-2013, 10:02 AM
Nobility

Brazil may be now one big continuous extention of land but it did not start like that. The Treaty of Tordesillas (1494) between Spain and Portugal established a line of demarcation about halfway between the then Portuguese Cape Verde Islands and the islands discovered by Christopher Columbus for Spain (Cuba and Hispaniola). The lands to the east would belong to Portugal and the lands to the west to Spain. This left the Portuguese with roughly what now corresponds to the coastal Brazilian Northwest, Southwest and South regions. "Brazil" was constantly beeing invaded by Pirates (English, French) so Portugal decided to divide it in Hereditary Captaincies - strips of land that were donated to Portuguese noblemen, who were in turn responsible for the occupation of the land and answered directly to the king. At that time, there were a lot of native Brazilians of several ethnicities, some frendly to the Portuguese, some extremely hostile (antropogaphus), and later some friendly to French invasors. So, previouly, in Brazil, there was no such thing as an Incan, Mayan or Aztec Empire that dominated a specific region.
Well, the Hereditary Captaincies did not work so the Portuguese created a General Governor and, finally, in 1640 a Viceroyalty in Brazil.
At this point, Portuguese were already entering Spanish territories and enlarging Brazilian frontiers. Around the XVII century the Tordesillas Line became obsolete, and Portugal obtained more than half of South America vy several treaties till the XIX century.
If you are interested, there is a nice article in English here Brazil - The Colonial Era, 1500-1815.
Therefore, I believe if the Brazilians should ever decide to have a throne again, it should be an Empire. I do believe the same could be applied to the USA. (Not that it will ever happen to these two countries in my understanding)

PS: When Brazil was created an Empire, it was because and when it became independent from Portugal (and its other colonies) and no other kingdoms and empires elsewhere complained.

Old 09-06-2013, 10:04 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
To be an Emperor, you must have an Empire. One nation is not an Empire. Actually, I know a great deal about Brazil and it is a lovely country. Just a country, not an Empire. It was part of an Empire hundreds of years ago, not the Empire.
Not entirely true. Brazil was firt part of the Portuguese Empire, when the Emperor was, obviously, the Portuguese King. But when in 1822 the independence was proclamed Brazil became an Empire on its own. An Empire constituted by all the different states of Brazil.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:52 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post

No one here said Prince Luiz is the Emperor of Brazil, not de facto. But His Imperial and Royal Highness is the Head of the Imperial House of Brazil, he's the rightful Dynastic Heir of Emperor Pedro II, so if a Restoration (and that's what we are discussing here) happen during his lifetime, he'll be the Emperor of Brazil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by julliette View Post
Not entirely true. Brazil was firt part of the Portuguese Empire, when the Emperor was, obviously, the Portuguese King. But when in 1822 the independence was proclamed Brazil became an Empire on its own. An Empire constituted by all the different states of Brazil.

Exactly. Brazil became a country in 1815, when it became a part of the United Kingdom of Portugal, Brazil and Algarve, and Queen Maria I was our first Head of State (although her son was the Prince Regent).

The Independence, in 1822, was more of a secession, not a real Independence. And in the Treaty in which Portugal recognized the Empire of Brazil, King João VI of Portugal is recognized as honorary Emperor of Brazil.
Old 09-21-2013, 12:35 PM
Serene Highness

New Monarchist meeting

HI&RH Prince Bertrand, Prince Imperial of Brazil, will attend the IV Monarchist Meeting of the Southern of Brazil, in Florianópolis, state of Santa Catarina. The Meeting will gather Monarchists from the three Brazilian Southern states: Santa Catarina, Paraná e Rio Grande do Sul.

It will take place at the Historical and Geographical Institute of Santa Catarina, on October 5.

- Field Marshal Baron of Botevi: a hero sacrificed., by Dr. Henrique D'Eça Neves.

- Punishment to the citizen and freedom to the thief - the true face of the new penal code, by Prof. Dr. Gilberto Callado de Oliveira.

- Military Police: from the Empire to the Republic, by Colonel MPSC Marlon Jorge Teza.

- The Constitution of 1824: dawn of liberal thought in South America and the construction of true Constitutional State, by Prof. Dr. Laércio Lopes de Araújo.

- Baron of Gravataí: generosity and loyalty toward the Empire, Academical Mário Pereira.

The Prince Imperial of Brazil will close the Meeting with a speech. A dinner will follow.

On the next day, a Tridentine Mass will be celebrated at Church of the Divine Holy Spirite.

After that, the Prince Imperial will travel to Rio Grande do Sul, to perform a series of engagements.

Monarquia Já: IV Encontro Monárquico Sul Brasileiro - Florianópolis – 5 e 6 de outubro de 2013
Old 11-03-2013, 04:33 PM
Nobility

Once I read online that 90 years a referendum monarchy vs Republic in Brazil. The monarchy lost by many by Republica this referendum?
Old 11-03-2013, 04:50 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Real View Post
Once I read online that 90 years a referendum monarchy vs Republic in Brazil. The monarchy lost by many by Republica this referendum?
We had a referendum in 1993. Monarchy received 13% of the votes. A good result when you take in consideration that from 1889 to 1988 talk about Monarchy was a crime. And the Government said the Monarchy would bring slavery back, and The Head of the Imperial House was not allowed to appear on tv.

Nowadays, the Monarchist Movement is getting stronger.
Old 11-06-2013, 03:25 PM
Nobility

New Party proposes return of monarchy
Novo partido prope retorno da Monarquia Parlamentarista - GAZ - Notcias da regio para o mundo
Old 11-06-2013, 03:44 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Real View Post
The Imperial Family does not support this party, nor does the majority of the Monarchists.

His Imperial and Royal Highness Prince Luiz, Head of the Imperial House of Brazil, has already issued a statement:

Casa Imperial do Brasil - O Brasil Imperial
Old 11-06-2013, 05:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

I'm curious to know whether the indigenous Brazillian people are active in politics there, and what they think of the prospect of a monarchy. And what percentage of the population identifies as indigenous?
Old 11-06-2013, 05:45 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
I'm curious to know whether the indigenous Brazillian people are active in politics there, and what they think of the prospect of a monarchy. And what percentage of the population identifies as indigenous?
I don't think there's a lot of indigenous brazillians at politics, the major part of them are still living in reserves.

I don't know how what they think about Monarchy, but Emperor Pedro II was very close to his indigenous subjects, he even learned how to speak their language, Tupi.

According to the 2010 census, only 0.43% of the brazilians identified themselves as amerindians. But a major part of the brazilians are a mix of european, african and amerindian. We are a unique people.

Having a half-russian grandmother and dutch grandfather, I have an "european appearance", and sometimes I feel a bit offset among my own people. They're so unique. I've got just a plain pale skin (like paper). Everytime I go to Copacabana beach, people think I'm foreign. Sometimes I just hate it.
Old 12-02-2013, 03:13 AM
Commoner

I'd love to see the Brazilian monarchy restored, as I would for all monarchies, but in particular, Pedro II is one of my favourite monarchs.
Old 06-18-2014, 06:49 PM
Aristocracy

The 25th Monarchist Meeting will be held in Rio de Janeiro on September 6th and 7th. This year, the meeting will celebrate the 76th birthday of Prince Luiz, Head of the Imperial House of Brazil, and the centennial of his late mother, Princess Maria (1914-2011), The Princess Mother of Brazil, born Princess of Baviera.
Old 07-16-2014, 07:34 AM
Heir Presumptive

What do the polls say about the support for Monarchy now?
Old 07-16-2014, 09:18 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory View Post
What do the polls say about the support for Monarchy now?
No poll has been conducted in a long time, but the estimates are of 10-20% of support. In fact, the number of republicans it's probably the same or just little bigger. Brazil is not a country divided between monarchists and republicans, the majority just prefers the status quo.
Old 07-16-2014, 09:52 AM
Heir Presumptive

The Imperial Family does not seem to be known by many Brazilians.