The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Non-Reigning Houses > The Imperial Family of Brazil

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-19-2011, 11:51 PM

Most part of Brazilian people are not interested in the Monarchy. The 93's referedum was a terrible joke and there was no really preparation to it.
However, in the last years the Monarchist movement has been increasing.

Old 05-19-2011, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbruno View Post
There is not enough support and I doubt there will ever be in spite of the Imperial family here in Brazil has never been hated, quite the contrary. Brazil has finally started to make peace with its history and now, more than the affection people have had for King D. João VI, D. Pedro I and D. Pedro II, these monarchs have started to get some respect as well, thanks to new studies, books and reevaluation of ou historiry in recent years. But no, I don't think there is ever going to be another King in Brazil or in the Americas.
Despite I think it's terrible sad, I totally agree with you... But Brazilian people imaginary is deeply royal, and there is a kind of nostalgia rooted in our minds.

Old 05-20-2011, 01:32 AM
Nobility

Thank you Rafameta for stepping in! It is good to have the opinion of another Brazilian member on this subject.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:26 AM
Gentry

I couldn't consider 1993 referendum a failure. Of course they got 12%, but that was remarkable after more than a century away from power and I am sure it gave a boost to the monarchists for the future.

I had once the honour of meeting Don Eudes de Orléans e Bragança e Wittelsbach, he was sophisticated but down to earth and a serious golfer!
Old 07-18-2011, 02:25 AM
Heir Presumptive

Maybe some brazilians consider Don Luis Gastao and don Bertrand too conservative but Don Antonio and Don Raphael represent the future.
Old 10-04-2011, 03:34 AM
Heir Presumptive

HIH Prince Bertrand met the young monarchists at Florianopolis:

Monarquia Já: Jovens vão ao encontro do Príncipe Dom Bertrand em Santa Catarina
Old 12-18-2011, 07:34 PM
Commoner

As a Brazilian, I find the greatest problem is the monarchists are isolated: There is no allance among them. To be a abnormally great country isn´t help. And our royal house is not so rich as their european counterparts, what´s definitively a problem.
Old 01-08-2012, 05:55 PM
Heir Presumptive

I suppose Don Raphael is not so known by all the Brasilians.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:10 PM
Commoner

@Cory: HRH D. Raphael is less known than both his uncles: After his brother´s death, he was surprised by the new duty. And he´s too young...
Old 01-09-2012, 06:45 AM
Heir Presumptive

HRH Prince Don Raphael represents the future of the Imperial House so the royalists should try to involve him as much as possible in the campaign in favour of the Restoration.
Old 06-18-2012, 01:55 PM
Heir Presumptive

I noticed on Facebook that the brazilian monarchists will meet in Rio de Janeiro on the 30th of June:

https://www.facebook.com/notes/crist...51727731962925

https://www.facebook.com/events/326147560799563/
Old 07-09-2012, 11:31 AM
Heir Presumptive

Photos and videos from the XXIInd Meeting of the Brazilian Monarchists under the leadership of the Princes of the Imperial Family:

PPM Braga: XXII Encontro Monárquico Nacional na cidade do Rio de Janeiro

Príncipe D. Antônio - XXII Encontro Monárquico (30/06/2012) - YouTube

Old 09-12-2012, 12:04 PM

Brazilians have a lot of respect for Pedro II, our emperor, and his daughter, Princess Isabel. They are well regarded even by the most radical left-wing historians.

However, it is very unlikely monarchy is ever going to return in Brazil. I remember the referendum some years ago (93, I think). Monarchy didn't win not because they had less money than the republicans. They didn't win because it was regarded as an archaich institution. Even worse was when people met to possible emperors. They met those old guys, conservative, traditionalists catholics in a country where religion is very lax. They also seemed out of touch with Brazilian reality, praising deeds done more than a century ago by their ancestors. In short, the monarchy had very bad PR when these guys were presented as possible emperors. They weren't charismatic, they were old and grumpy. They should have chosen more young and good-looking guys, who looked mordern and respectful., there was only one like that and he wasn't front runner for king. Shallow, but true.

Also, in that referendum, monarchy, different from other choices then (presidentialism and parlamentarism), wasn't only "selling" to us only the government system, they were selling themselves, the royal family, the emperor, the princes, etc. I don't recall one instant where they went "out there" to meet people, shake hands, visit slums, surburbs, downtown, etc. Meet the Brazilians reality. They chose to give interview in what was regarded a gilded cage. Bad publicity

Plus, they didn't strike as progressive people, the main guy for emperor seemed VERY conservative, and seemed very entitled in the interviews he gave (though he did try to sound humble).

That referendum was the last chance for monarchy here. I don't think it will ever going to return.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:52 AM
Heir Presumptive

Concert in honour of the indepence in Brasilia in the presence of HIRH Prince Dom Antonio of Orleans Braganza and of HIRH Princess Dona Christine of Orleans Braganza( video) :

Monarquia Já: Recital da Independência
Old 01-07-2013, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafameta View Post
Most part of Brazilian people are not interested in the Monarchy. The 93's referedum was a terrible joke and there was no really preparation to it.
However, in the last years the Monarchist movement has been increasing.

You are right, I, as a Brazilian, am a strong monarchist, but the majority here in Brazil isn't.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:55 PM

For me, as a Brazilian, what we need is Unity in our Movement. The Brazilian Monarchist Movement is too divided and too fuled by Egos. Our Imperial Family, unfortunetly, is not very active, and the only one who is active is the one we less need to hear from (d. Bertrand, who is extremely conservative and "carola"). We need d. Rafael to appear and speak to the people. We need to show people Monarchy isn't backwards and that we are not thinking about implementing a dictatorship, but creating a truly balanced and stable Parliament system, in which the Constitutional Monarchy is the best fit.

What we need now, gentlemen, is a bit less tea and a bit more action... MHO...
Old 04-12-2013, 12:13 PM
Serene Highness

That's not entirely true.

Yes, the Monarchist Movement isn't very organized. But, since the death of Prince Pedro Gastão of Orleans-Braganza, in 2007, the divisions endend. Today the marjority of the Monarchists supports Prince Luiz, Head of the Imperial House.

As for the Imperial Family, they are active. Prince Luiz is an oldman with serious health problems, but he always recieves journalists and other people at his home, his adress is available on internet, anyone can stop for a visit. Princes Bertrand and Antônio travels the entire country, attending meetings and other events. Prince Antônio's chlidren, Prince Rafael and Princesses Amélia and Maria Gabriela are now starting to perform duties in behalf of the Imperial House.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:43 PM
Royal Highness

What about Prince Pedro's daughter Maria da Gloria? Is she doing things for the family? I know she is living in Spain with her second husband and two youngest children, but does she do anything on behalf of the family?
Old 04-12-2013, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrazilianEmpire View Post
That's not entirely true.

Yes, the Monarchist Movement isn't very organized. But, since the death of Prince Pedro Gastão of Orleans-Braganza, in 2007, the divisions endend. Today the marjority of the Monarchists supports Prince Luiz, Head of the Imperial House.
I mean divided in the different Organizations and groups that want to restore d. Luiz :) We have the IBI, the CMRJ, the many many other Monarchic Circles and the independant forums and groups all around, with little to no real organization. They all, in general, agree that d. Luiz should be Emperor, yes, but they seem to still be fighting under the hood in "who will win the glories of being the one to give him the throne"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrazilianEmpire View Post
As for the Imperial Family, they are active. Prince Luiz is an oldman with serious health problems, but he always recieves journalists and other people at his home, his adress is available on internet, anyone can stop for a visit. Princes Bertrand and Antônio travels the entire country, attending meetings and other events. Prince Antônio's chlidren, Prince Rafael and Princesses Amélia and Maria Gabriela are now starting to perform duties in behalf of the Imperial House.
I know of d. Luiz's condition, and it is understandable :) d. Bertrand does more bad then it is worth, and d. Antônio might go to meetings and other events but that simply isnt enough. They dont do any Lectures to Universities (except d. Bertrand, who ends up making more enemies then allies when he does, just look at what happened at PUC...) nor do they appear doing any volutneer work for people that need it (ok, d. Antonio is too old for that, but d. Rafael hasnt done any as far as I know, and the Princesses have only done one from what I've heard). We need more of these affirmative actions from our IF, and we need them to go to the different organizations of the Movement and tell them to start working Together.