The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Non-Reigning Houses > The Imperial Family of Brazil

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-22-2014, 08:58 AM
Heir Apparent

The two eldest daughters of Archduke Lorenz of Austria-Este and of Princess Astrid of Belgium are a great match too:

HI&RH Princess Maria Laura of Belgium, Archduchess of Austria-Este (26 years old)
HI&RH Princess Luisa Maria of Belgium, Archduchess of Austria-Este (19 years old)

Picture: Maria Laura with her grandfather King Albert II of the Belgians http://static1.purepeople.com/articl...ue-637x0-1.jpg

Both have a great ancestry:

PARENTS
Archduke Lorenz of Austria-Este
Princess Astrid of Belgium

GRANDPARENTS
Archduke Robert of Austria-Este
Princess Margherita di Saovoia-Aosta
King Albert II of the Belgians
Donna Paola dei principi Ruffo di Calabria

GREAT-GRANDPARENTS
Karl I Emperor of Austria, King of Hungary
Princess Zita de Bourbon de Parme
Prince Amedeo di Savoia-Aosta, Duke of Aosta
Princess Anne d'Orléans
King Leopold III of the Belgians
Princess Astrid of Sweden
Don Fulco VIII Prince Ruffo di Calabria, Duke of Guardia-Lombarda
Donna Luisa dei conti Gazelli di Rossana e di San Sebastiano

GREAT-GREAT-GRANDPARENTS
Archduke Otto of Austria-Este
Princess Maria Josepha of Saxony
Prince Robert de Bourbon de Parme, Duke of Parma and Piacenza
Dona Maria Antónia de Bragança, Infanta de Portugal
Prince Emanuele Filiberto di Savoia-Aosta, Duke of Aosta
Princess Hélène d'Orléans
Prince Jean d'Orléans, Duke of Guise
Princess Isabelle d'Orléans
King Albert I of the Belgians
Princess Elisabeth, Duchess in Bavaria
Prince Carl of Sweden, Duke of Westergötland
Princess Ingeborg of Denmark
Don Fulco VII Prince Ruffo di Calabria, Duke of Guardia Lombarda
Jonkvrouw Laura Mosselman of the counts Mosselman du Chenoy
Don Augusto Count Gazelli di Rosanna e di San Sebastiano
Donna Maria Cristina dei conti Rignon

Old 08-22-2014, 10:15 AM
Heir Presumptive

They are a great option given their lineages but would they be willing to live in Brazil? That's probably a big problem Rafael has: would any European girl be willing to relocate to Brazil? I mean, nothing against Brazil, it's a wonderful country but it's not exactly an easy country to live in, so would any girl be willing to give up their comfortable lives in Europe to live there?

Old 08-22-2014, 10:38 AM
Heir Apparent

Heu... Princess Christine de Ligne, a Belgian, manages to live in Brazil. The late Princess Ragnhild, Mrs Erling Sven Lorentzen managed to live in Brazil. The present Queen of Sweden managed to live in Brazil. When someone is well-to-do, living in Brazil can be like paradise, I think....

I have no idea about the residences of the Vassouras and Pétropolis branches. Do they live in grand mansions?
Old 08-22-2014, 11:32 AM
Courtier

The Prince of Orleans-Braganza, who is the "Head" of the so-called "Petrópolis" Branch, lives in the Grão-Pará Palace, but the rest of the Orleans-Braganzas are very middle-class.

The Head of the Imperial House and the Prince Imperial live in a rented two-story house in São Paulo. Prince Antonio and Princess Christine have a house in Petrópolis and an apartment in Rio. Everyone has to work for a living.

But, as Duc said, a handful of European Princesses managed to live a middle class life in Brazil.

They are regal, but middle class.
Old 08-22-2014, 01:24 PM
Heir Apparent

The late Princess Ragnhild was married with Mr Erling Sven Lorentzen, who is a milliardaire, so not exactly "middle class". In 2008 Mr Lorentzen sold his participation in Aracruz Cellulose for appr. 1.7 billion US Dollar.

Old 08-22-2014, 01:33 PM
Courtier

That's true. But Princess Christine lives a middle class life. And she was raised in a castle.

And her mother-in-law, Princess Maria of Bavaria, also raised in castles and palaces, managed to live in a farm with no electricity, where she raised twelve children.
Old 08-22-2014, 01:36 PM
Heir Apparent

Thanks also for the background information about the (lack of) wealth of the Brazilean imperial family. Maybe a very wealthy wedding partner with a background in aristocracy and/or haute bourgeoisie would be the best, to help the House of Brazil with a financial injection.

Examples are Dona Rosalinda Álvares Pereira de Melo (Dukes of Cadaval) who married Hubert Guerrand-Hermès, heir to a dazzling fortune and rooted in aristocracy and haute bourgeoisie. Or Prince Guillaume of Luxembourg who married Sibilla Weiller, heiress to a dazzling fortune and granddaughter of a Prince Torlonia and an Infanta de España.... This sort of "candidates" is maybe more helpful than a very perfect ancestry but no money...

Old 08-23-2014, 05:14 AM
Courtier

Perhaps more it could be about being a bit remote from the Social, cultural, economic life of Europe/and or the US. I don't know how long it takes to fly between Brazi and the northern hemisphere.
Old 08-23-2014, 05:18 AM
Heir Apparent

A flight from Rio de Janeiro to, let us say, Berlin takes about 12-13 hours non-stop.
Old 08-23-2014, 05:49 AM
Majesty

may i ask where the thread for the wedding of amelia and james is? it all seemed to look beautiful and they were both beaming in the picture i saw in the blog! the bride's dress really reminded me of kate's dress which i wonder whether it is a good ideas as it was worn by such a visible bride...
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 08-23-2014, 05:58 AM
Heir Apparent

I believe there is no thread about this wedding as these two are fairly unknown to most readers and contributors on this forum. So Amelia was not really "a visible bride"... ;-)

Princess Amelia with her father Prince Antônio de Orléans e Braganca:
http://c1.quickcachr.fotos.sapo.pt/i...381_iRcTk.jpeg

Princess Amelia de Orléans e Bragança, Mrs Spearman with her husband Mr James Spearman:
http://c1.quickcachr.fotos.sapo.pt/i...257_Mw1ZP.jpeg

Old 08-23-2014, 08:17 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
I believe there is no thread about this wedding as these two are fairly unknown to most readers and contributors on this forum. So Amelia was not really ""a visible bride... ;-)

i referred to kate being "a visible bride" and not amelia...
thanks for posting the pictures, they are great.
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 08-23-2014, 08:51 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearghas View Post
Perhaps more it could be about being a bit remote from the Social, cultural, economic life of Europe/and or the US. I don't know how long it takes to fly between Brazi and the northern hemisphere.
Forgive me if i don't get it (i don't follow this family very much), but imo if a potential bride or groom bases their decision to marry someone from the IF of Brazil based on how quick they can get out of Brazil (and back to the US or Europe) than imo he/she is not a good match, period.

That said: the european royals continously fly all around the world, sometimes for work, but also for parties and holidays and shopping, so unless a couple were stationed in the middle of the north or south pole, geographical distance these days is irrelevant.
Old 08-23-2014, 09:50 AM
Heir Presumptive

Geographical distance these days are much less important than they were in the past but they are not irrelevant. Special if you're from Europe and are used to have any European capital just arround the corner and then you go and live in Brazil, which is much farer. It's not as easy, for example, to make a quick visit to your friends and family over the weekend.
Old 08-23-2014, 10:01 AM
Courtier

Any European royal who marry a Brazilian one will have to adapt to a different lifestyle. It was done before with good results, so it's possible.
Old 08-23-2014, 10:51 AM
Heir Apparent

Let us not exaggerate, Rio de Janeiro, São Paulo, Belo Horizonte, Brasilia, Porto Alegre, Recife, Fortaleza, Salvador de Bahía, etc. are enormous urban agglomerations with millions of inhabitants. You can shop Bvlgari, Hermès or Dior there as well, you can go out in the most fancy clubs and eat in the best restaurants. It is not that they have to life in a straw hut in a palm tree...

Old 08-24-2014, 09:07 AM
Courtier

Ok but I for one would not want to be a days flight away from my parents siblings etc.
Old 08-24-2014, 09:17 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearghas View Post
Ok but I for one would not want to be a days flight away from my parents siblings etc.
Heu... the roots of Queen Máxima of the Netherlands is at the other side of the globe, in Argentina. The roots of Princess Mary of Denmark is at the other side of the world, in Tasmania. The same with Queen Silvia of Sweden (Brazil) and Grand Duchess María Teresa of Luxembourg (Cuba) ...

In the 19th C a Russian Grand Duchess (Anna Paulovna Romanova) married with the then Prince of Orange and moved to (then) far-away Netherlands. A Belgian Princess suddenly found herself at the other side of the world as Empress of Mexico.

Let us say that long distances are somewhat of a destiny for royals...

Old 08-24-2014, 09:34 AM
Heir Presumptive

And let's face it, *they* (unlike the average rest of us) have the money to travel back-and-forth a lot more often.
Old 08-24-2014, 09:54 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
Heu... the roots of Queen Máxima of the Netherlands is at the other side of the globe, in Argentina. The roots of Princess Mary of Denmark is at the other side of the world, in Tasmania. The same with Queen Silvia of Sweden (Brazil) and Grand Duchess María Teresa of Luxembourg (Cuba) ...

In the 19th C a Russian Grand Duchess (Anna Paulovna Romanova) married with the then Prince of Orange and moved to (then) far-away Netherlands. A Belgian Princess suddenly found herself at the other side of the world as Empress of Mexico.

Let us say that long distances are somewhat of a destiny for royals...

Actually Queen Silvia is half german so half of her roots are also in Germany and is there where she spend the most time of her life before marriage. Also her siblings and parents lived and still live in Germany.
And the Family of Grand Duchess Maria Teresa had long left Cuba and settled in Europe at the time of ehr marriage.
I think it is for everyone to decide if he wants ti live as far away from his Family.-
And the Brazilian Imperial Family sadly could experience iteself that there can also be dangers when flying.

Tags
orleans-bragança