Prince Antonio, Princess Christine and Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Press release from the Imperial House of Brazil:

"Their Highnesses D. Antonio de Orleans e Bragança, Prince of Brazil, and D. Christine de Orleans e Bragança, born Princess of Ligne, announced the engagement between their daughter, D. Amélia de Orleans e Bragança, and Alexander James Spearman, from Edinburgh, Scotland. The wedding will take place at Igreja de Nossa Senhora do Carmo da Antinga Sé, on August 2014, in Rio de Janeiro."

Casa Imperial do Brasil - Home

The Church of Our Lady of Mount Carmel

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7f/Catedral1.jpg

The church where Princess Amélia will marry has long association with Brazilian Royalty.

During the stay of the Royal Family of Portugal in Brazil (1808-1821), King João VI of Portugal designated the Church as the new Portuguese Royal Chapel, and later as the Cathedral of Rio de Janeiro.

In May 20, 1816, King João VI was anointed King of Portugal there. The following year, on November 6, his eldest son and heir, Prince Pedro - the Prince Royal of Portugal - received his wife, Princess Leopoldina (née Archduchess of Austria), with whom he had married by proxy some months before.

After the Independence of Brazil, on September 7, 1822, the Church was designated as the Imperial Chapel.

On December 1, 1822, Emperor Pedro I was crowned there. His son and successor, Emperor Pedro II, was also crowned on the Church, on July 18, 1841.

Princess Isabel - Princess Imperial of Brazil and heiress to the Throne - married there with Prince Gaston of Orleans, Count of Eu, on October 15, 1864.

On September 13, 2009, there was a mass on the Church, to celebrated the centennial of Prince Pedro Henrique (1909-1981), who was the Head of the Imperial House of Brazil from 1921 until his death, and the 95th birthday of his consort, Princess Maria Elizabeth (née Princess of Bavaria, who died in 2011).

There was also a sad event, on June 5, 2009, a service was held there, after the death of Prince Pedro Luiz of Brazil (Princess Amélia's older brother). It was terribly sad, I was present.

More about the engagement of Princess Amélia

Causa Imperial, a Monarchist page on Facebook, has an interesting post about Princess Amélia of Brazil and her fiancée, James Spearman. And they also have a nice picture of them, with the arms of their families.

http://www.facebook.com/CausaImperial

http://sphotos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/1237909_599236100115459_1552111646_n.png

The post:

"The wedding of Princess Amélia with James Spearman.

As already reported, Her Royal Highness Princess Amélia of Brazil will marry Alexander James Spearman, on August 2014.

Princess Amélia Maria de Fátima Josefa Antonia Micaela Gabriela Rafaela Gonzaga of Brazil, Princess of Orleans-Braganza, born in Brussels, Belgium, on March 15, 1984, and registred as a Brazilian citizen at the Brazilian Consulate General in Brussels, in accordance with the Brazilian Constitution of 1824 (which dictates that only a Brazilian citizen can inherit the Throne of Brazil). Currently, Her Royal Highness is the fifth in the Line of Succession to the Throne. Princess Amélia is the eldest daughter and second child of Prince Antonio (b. 1950) and Princess Christine (b. 1955) of Brazil. She has four siblings: Princes Pedro Luiz (1983-2009) and Rafael (n. 1986), and Princess Maria Gabriela of Brazil (b. 1989). Her uncles - Prince Antonio's older brothers - are Prince Luiz (b. 1938), the Head of the Imperial House and Emperor de jure of Brazil, and Prince Bertrand (n. 1941), Prince Imperial of Brazil and second in Line to the Throne.

Princess Amélia's paternal grandparents are Prince Pedro Henrique (1909-1981), Head of the Imperial House of Brazil from 1921 until his death, and Princess Maria Elizabeth of Brazil (1914-2011). Prince Pedro Henrique - eldest child of Prince Luiz (1878-1920), Prince Imperial of Brazil and "The Perfect Prince" - inherited from his paternal grandmother, Princess Isabel (1846-1921), "The Redemptress", the Headship of the Imperial House of Brazil, after her death, while the Imperial Family was exiled in Europe. Through her honored great-great-grandmother, Princess Amélia descends from Emperors Pedro I (1798-1834) and Pedro II (1825-1891) of Brazil, and from the King and Queens of Portugal, from the House of Braganza, which reigned from 1640 and 1910 - which remains the Royal House of Portugal, whose the Head, Prince Duarte (b. 1945), Duke of Braganza, is a second cousin once removed of Princess Amélia.

Through her great-great-grandfather, Prince Gaston (1842-1922), Count of Eu and Consort of Princess Isabel, Princess Amélia is a descendant of the House of Orleans - which reigned in France from 1830 to 1848, whose the Head, Prince Henri (b. 1933), is also a second cousin once removed of Princess Amélia. Her Royal Highness is a great-great-great-great-granddaughter of King Louis-Philippe of France (1773-1850). Through the House of Orleans, the Princess can trace her pratilineal descent to King Saint Louis IX of France (1214-1270), the "Crusader King", and to Hugh Capet (c. 939-996) the first King of the Franks, who reigned from 987 until his death.

Through her paternal grandmother, Princess Amélia is a descendant of the Kings of Bavaria, from the House of Wittelsbach, one of the most ancient Houses of Europe, with origins in the Ninth Century. Her great-great-grandfather, King Ludwig III (1845-1921) was the last Bavarian Monarch. Her great-grandmother, Princess Maria Pia (1878-1973), Dowager Imperial Princess of Brazil, was the daughter of Prince Afonso (1841-1934), Count of Caserta and Head of the Royal House of the Two-Sicilies, the Family of Empress Teresa Cristina of Brazil (1822-1889). Through her celebrated anscestress, Empress Leopoldina of Brazil (1797-1826), Princess Amélia descends from the Emperors of Austria and of the Holy Roman Empire, from the House of Habsburg, the most noble House of the Christendom.

Princess Amélia's mother is from the Princely Family of Ligne, one of the most ancient and noble Houses of Belgium, which also have the titles of Princes of Amblise, Épinoy and of the Holy Roman Empire. Princess Christine is fourth of the seven children of Prince Antoine (1925-2005), 13th Prince of Ligne from 1985 until his death, and his wife, Princess Alix (now the Dowager Princess of Linge; b. 1929). The Princes of Ligne, throughout History, stood out as diplomats, political articulators, soldiers and distinguished members of society. The current Head of the Princely House is Prince Michel (b. 1951), the 14th Prince of Ligne and brother of Princess Christine, Princess Amélia's mother. Prince Michel is married to Princess Eleonora of Brazil (n. 1953), sister of Prince Antonio, Princess Amélia's father. The Prince and Princess of Ligne have two children: Princess Alix of Ligne (b. 1984) and Prince Henri Antoine (b. 1989), Hereditary Prince of Ligne. Princess Amélia's maternal grandmother is the youngest daughter of Grand Duchess Charlotte of Luxembourg (1896-1985) and Prince Felix of Bourbon-Parma (1893-1970). The Grand Ducal Family of Luxembourg reigns over one of the most democratic and developed countries in the world.

Raised in Petrópolis, the "Imperial City", located in the hills of Rio de Janeiro, Princess Amélia studied at Ipiranga Elementary School and São José High School. In 2007, Her Royal Highness concluded the course of Architecture at the Pontical Catholic University of Rio de Janeiro. Since then, the Princess has been living in Europe. First, she lived in Madrid, Spain. Now, Her Royal Highness is living in London, where she works at Camu & Morrison. The Princess speaks Portuguese, French, English and Spanish.

James Alexander Spearman, born on March 27, 1984, in Edinburgh, is the son of Lochain Alexander and Pilin Spearman. James, as he's called by his family and friends, has two brothers: Jack and Adam Spearman. Throught his father, he descends from important families from the British Aristocracy. His maternal family, the Garrigues, has some political, social and cultural importance in Europe.

The Spearman Baronetcy, of Hanwel in the county of Middlesex, was created on April 28, 1840, by Queen Victoria of the United Kingdom (1819-1901), to Sir Alexander Young Spearman (1793-1874). Sir Alexander served as Comptroller General of the Exchequer and Secretary to the Commissioners for the Reduction of the National Debt. In 1869, he became a member of Her Majesty's Most Honourable Privy Council.

The Spearman are also related to the Dukes of Fife, relatives of the British Royal Family - in 1889, Alexander Duff (1849-1912), 6th Earl and 1th Duke of Fife married Princess Louise of Wales (1867-1931), daughter of the then Prince of Wales, future King Edward VII of the United Kingdom (1841-1910).

The Garrigues family is an acient European Clan, orginated in the region of Les Garrigues, in the south-central of France. The family immigrated to Spain, Gemrnay and to the United States, where they achieved success and prominence. James's maternal grandfather was Don Mariano Garrigues Diaz-Cañabate, a renowned lawyer, whose brother was Don Antonio Garrigues Diaz-Cañabate (1904-2004), who received the title of Marquiss of Garrigues, due to his services to diplomacy and law. The Garrigues family is also related to the Marquisses of la Granja de San Saturnino ant the Barons of Garel-Jones. The family has important conections with the Spanish Diplomacy and the UN.

James Spearman studied at the renowned Eton College, from 1997 to 2002, where he met with Prince William (b. 1982), Duke of Cambridge, and his brother, Prince Harry of Wales (b. 1984), grandsons of Queen Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom (b. 1926). In 2007, he concluded the course of Modern European Languages at the University of Edinburgh. He lived for sometime in Madrid, and is now living in London, where he works to Stanhope Capital. James speaks English, French and Spanish.

The Imperial House of Brazil informad, through a statement from Prince Antonio and Princess Christine, that the wedding will take place at the Church of Our Lady of the Mount Carmeo, the old Cathedral of Rio de Janeiro. The Church served as the Royal Chapel (from 1808 to 1822) and as the Imperial Chapel (from 1822 to 1889). There, King João VI was anointed as King of Portugal, and Emperor Pedro I and Pedro II of Brazil were Crowned. Numerous members of the Imperial Family were christened and married on that church.

Princess Amélia's marriage has been raisinh question about her future in the Imperial House of Brazil. Although he has a noble set of ancestors, James and his parents are commoners. The Imperial Family has already faced similar situation. During the 20th century, four sons of Prince Pedro Henrique married commoners, and lose their rights to Throne. The same has happend to Prince Alberto (b. 1957) and Princesses Maria Teresa and Maria Gabriela (b. 1959), when they decided to marry commoners, their brother, Prince Luiz, by then, Head of the Imperial House, asked them to rennounce their rights to Throne.

It's up to Prince Luiz, with his wisdom, to decide what his niece, Princess Amélia, will do, thinking about what is best for the Dynasty which, for more then a century has been serving Brazil."

Really nice photo. Amélia looks more beautiful than ever and I was curious to see how James looked like.

Does this last paragraph mean it's possible that Amélia doesn't loose her rights to the throne, being the decision entirely Prince Luiz's?

Does this last paragraph mean it's possible that Amélia doesn't loose her rights to the throne, being the decision entirely Prince Luiz's?

Yes, Prince Luiz can allow her keep her succession rights.

The Head of the Imperial House can't change the Succession Laws, because those are defined by the Constitution of 1824, and only a Monarchical Parliament can change that.

But the marriages of members of the Imperial Family are House Laws, so, the Head of the Imperial House is free to change it whenever he or she wants.

But we'll only know for sure what will happens a few day before the wedding.

But back in 2008, Prince Luiz was still favouring Dynastic Marriages.

Thanks for the explanation, BrazilianEmpire.

Given Prince Luiz's positions on the matter I would day it's very unlikely he will allow her to keep her rights to the throne.

Thanks for the explanation, BrazilianEmpire.

Given Prince Luiz's positions on the matter I would day it's very unlikely he will allow her to keep her rights to the throne.

Yes, and Prince Bertrand has the same position, I don't know what about Prince Antonio's thoughts on this matter, but he's very loyal to his older brother, I'll never disagree with him.

But Princess Amélia's siblings, Prince Rafael and Princess Maria Gabriela have already expressed their views, and they said they'll follow the House Law, marrying equally.

And I'm still hearing rumours about Princess Alix of Ligne dating Prince Amedeo of Belgium. She's just a few months younger than Princess Amélia, so I think she's also close to get married.

Yes, and Prince Bertrand has the same position, I don't know what about Prince Antonio's thoughts on this matter, but he's very loyal to his older brother, I'll never disagree with him.

But Princess Amélia's siblings, Prince Rafael and Princess Maria Gabriela have already expressed their views, and they said they'll follow the House Law, marrying equally.

And I'm still hearing rumours about Princess Alix of Ligne dating Prince Amedeo of Belgium. She's just a few months younger than Princess Amélia, so I think she's also close to get married.

I'm all ears for those rumours :)

I'm all ears for those rumours :)

Nothing official. But we only heard about Countess Stéphanie de Lannoy when she became engaged to Hereditary Grand Duke Guillaume. The same goes for James Spearman and Princess Amélia.

My cousin in Belgium says it's possible that Prince Amedeo and Princess Alix are dating, they knew each other since childhood, And both come from families who still appreciate dynastic marriages.

i doubt that amelia is very worried about losing her rights to a non-existent throne. :)

thanks for posting the picture of the soon to be married couple! i wonder if they will move back to brazil or stay in UK after the wedding?

i doubt that amelia is very worried about losing her rights to a non-existent throne. :)

Well, although Brazil is not a Monarchy anymore, the Imperial Family takes their traditions very seriously. I think Princess Amélia had a hard time deciding what to do.

i wonder if they will move back to brazil or stay in UK after the wedding?

They'll marry in Brazil, but I'm quite sure they'll live in London, where they are already established.

Cris M posted this on the thread of Prince Amedeo's engagement:

Is this girl really his girlfriend? Totally different than what I expected... Can you share more about her?

BTW, Rafael looks great in the pics.

Yes, she's his girlfriend. A beautiful girl who seems to be very nice, but not the European Princess everyone was expecting to see Prince Rafael marrying.

Anyway, there are a lot of talk that The Head of the Imperial House will change the House Laws, so the children of Prince Antonio and Princess Christine will not loose their rights to the Throne upon marrying commoners. The first to be affected by this change will be Princess Amélia, who'll marry next august.

I like that. Moving with times.

We know very little about her. She's from italian descent and her father works as producer of wine. I think she's a promoter of events and has a lot of contact with brazilian famous actor and musicians.

The relationship between Prince Rafael and Talita Vaccaro seems to be serious, and they're a dating for a very long time, but keeping a very low profile. I wrote to "Causa Imperial", a very famous monarchist page on facebook, asking about the couple and they said they'll not comment on such a private issue.

A friend of mine sent me this picture of them last week: https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/t1/1932314_460538624047469_1612865490_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
His uncles must be livid. But good for Rafael I'd say. I suppose that the succession can go through the female line... his younger sister may still marry a prince. Or otherwise the next ones are the son and daughter of the princess de Ligne. But it is much more logical that the succession laws for the Vassourras branch will be changed. I wonder if the Petropolis branch will make the most of it or not, since they do not seem too interested anymore after the death of prince Pedro Gastao.

Last edited:
I'm fan of tradition, but sometimes changes are necessary.

And they don't have a lot of options. The line of succession has some 40 names, but Prince Rafael is the only Prince of Brazil on his generation after his older brother death, in 2009.

The Head of the Imperial House is a very inteligent man, he always strike me as someone who knows what is best for the Family and monarchist movement.

But, from what I know, Prince Antonio and Princess Christine are very supportive of their children's loving choices.

I wonder if the Petropolis branch will make the most of it or not, since they do not seem too interested anymore after the death of prince Pedro Gastao.
There's nothing they can do. No one was ever obliged to renounce. But once the document was signed, nothing can be changed.
But you're right. None of them are interested in Monarchy. Some are openly republican.

Last edited:
It was announced today that Princess Amélia will sign a instrument of renounce on August, before her wedding.

After signing, she'll lose her place in the Line of Succession, her title of Princess of Brazil and will cease to be a member of the Imperial Family of Brazil. She'll retain her title of Princess of Orleans-Braganza and the membership of the Princely House of Orleans-Braganza.

After the wedding she'll be know as Her Royal Highness Princess Amélia, Mrs. Spearman.

I'm sad, but I hope the Princess will be happy.

Beautiful pictures. Princess Amélia is always stunning. Where did she announced?

The Imperial Household of Brazil announced that Princess Amélia of Brazil will renounce her dynastic and succession rights on the 15th of August, the day prior her marriage with Mr. James Spearman, from the Spearman Baronets.

She'll cease to be a Princess of Brazil and a member of the Imperial Family, but will keep her title of Princess of Orleans-Braganza and will stay a member of the Princely House of Orleans-Braganza. After her wedding, she'll be know as HRH Princess Amélia, Mrs. Spearman.

It was also announced that her uncle, The Prince Imperial of Brazil, will attend the wedding. Her other uncle, The Head of the Imperial House of Brazil, will not attend but will be praying for his niece.

Last edited:
In connection with the wedding of Princess Amélia and James Spearman, a new photograph of the couple has been released. It has also been announced that the wedding will take place on August 16 at the Church of Nossa Senhora do Carmo in Rio de Janeiro. The last member of the Brazilian Imperial Family to marry there was Princess Isabelle, who married the Count of Eu one hundred and fifty years ago:

Prochain mariage dans la famille impériale du Brésil

Thank you, Hereditary Princess.

In fact, the last member of the Imperial Family to marry at that church was Princess Isabel's younger sister, Princess Leopoldina, who married there two months after her sister's marriage. And a remembrance service for Princess Amélia's late brother, Prince Pedro Luiz (1983-2009) also took place at the Church of Nossa Senhora do Carmo.

I can't see the picture, because - for some unknown reason - Noblésse i Royautés - can't be accessed from Brazil.

:previous: You're welcome and thanks for the extra information, Cris. :flowers: That's strange since Noblesse & Royautes works for me, but then again I guess that's because I'm nearer to France. I've copied the photo into my Image Upper account for those of us outside of Europe, hopefully you can see it now:

Image Upper.com - View Photo

Oh, thank you, Hereditary Princess!:flowers:
I've already seen this picture. They released another one this week (a very beautiful one):

https://scontent-a-mia.xx.fbcdn.net...=1636da7fe440423dd4ba0953632e00dc&oe=545D4F85

It was taken last year, on September 7th (191st anniversary of Brazilian
Independence) at Château du Lude, the seat of the Counts of Nicolaÿ, in France, at the wedding of Princess Amélia's second cousin, Marguerite de Nicolaÿ.

Pró Monarquia, the Secretariat of the Imperial House of Brazil, has released a picture Princess Amélia's and Mr. James Spearman's wedding invitation. It can be read:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd....17_1518097425093509_5435588363473625335_n.jpg

"TRH
Príncipe Dom Antônio de Orleans e Bragança
Princesa Dona Christine de Orleans e Bragança

Mr. Alexander Lochain Spearman
Mrs. Pilar Spearman

are pleased to invite to the religious cerimony of the wedding of their children

AMÉLIA and JAMES

to be held at five o'clock of the 16th of August, 2014, at the Church of Nossa Senhora do Carmo da Antiga Sé, Rio de Janeiro.

After the cerimony, the bride and groom will receive at Casa Modesto Leal, Rua das Laranjeiras, 304, Laranjeiras."

Gifts to the couple may be sent to Prince Antonio's residence, at Praia de Botafogo, 208/802, Botafogo, Rio de Janeiro.

Congratulatory mensagers may be sent to the same address or to the eletronic address of the Imperial House of Brazil: contato@monarquia.org.br

Last edited:
Princess Amélia has renounced

According to Causa Imperial, HRH Princess Amélia of Brazil has just renounced her dynastic rights. She's now HRH Princess Amélia of Orleans-Braganza. Her place in the Line of Succession to the defunct Brazilian Throne now belongs to her younger sister, Princess Maria Gabriela of Brazil.

Princess Amélia of Orleans-Braganza (b. 15 March 1984) [second child and oldest daughter Prince Antonio of Brazil (b. 1950) and his wife, née Princess Christine of Ligne (b. 1955)] married Mr. Alexander James Spearman (b. 1982) [the oldest of the three sons of Mr. Lochain Alexander Spearman (b. 1952) and his wife, née Mss. Pilar Garrigues y Carnicer] today, at the Church of Nossa Senhora do Monte do Carmo da Antiga Sé, in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. A reception is being held at Casa Modesto Leal, also in Rio de Janeiro.

The bride - now Princess Amélia, Mrs. Spearman -, a former member of the Imperial Family of Brazil, belongs to the Princely House of Orleans-Braganza. The groom belongs to the family of the Spearman Baronets and, throught his mother, he decends from the Spanish Nobility.

Princess Amélia's younger siblings - Prince Rafael (b. 1986) and Princess Maria Gabriela (b. 1989) of Brazil - are still single. Their older brother was the late Prince Pedro Luiz of Brazil (1983-2009).

Congratulations to Princess Amélia and James Spearman. :flowers: Amélia's dress looks lovely, it reminds me a little of the Duchess of Cambridge's wedding dress, although I think I prefer Amélia's. Even though they have family connections, I must admit that I wasn't the biggest fan of James's tartan trousers - but then again, I dislike them in general. A kilt would've been much better, IMO.

Back
Top Bottom