Prince Antonio, Princess Christine and Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I suppose this marriage will not be considered 'equal' by her uncle, and she and her descendants will lose/not have succession rights? The Vassouras branche has made it quite difficult for itself.

Congratulations to the couple btw.

Last edited:
I think you're right, most likely this marriage will be regarded as unequal, given the very strict rules of the Brazilian Imperial Family.

Oh, James is only 12 days younger than Amelia! Is he Catholic or Protestant?
Love is the most important! Congrats to the couple!

I'm happy for Princess Amélia. But I'm afraid that the Head of the Imperial House will not surprise us.

Well, wait and see.

Congratulations to Mr Spearman and the future Mrs Spearman. I wish them a long and happy life together. I guess the princess was not at home when her parents were teaching the importance of marrying equally.

I guess the princess was not at home when her parents were teaching the importance of marrying equally.

Oh, she was at home. But I'm sure her parents also taught her that love is more important.

No one is obliged to marry equally, but they're required to do so, in order to keep her succession rights.

Oh, she was at home. But I'm sure her parents also taught her that love is more important.

No one is obliged to marry equally, but they're required to do so, in order to keep her succession rights.

Do you know in all your previous posts about the former Imperial Family, their marriage laws and their conservative values etc I this is think this is the first time you have acknowledged the importance of love let alone that it might be the more important factor in deciding to marry anyone.

Do you know in all your previous posts about the former Imperial Family, their marriage laws and their conservative values etc I this is think this is the first time you have acknowledged the importance of love let alone that it might be the more important factor in deciding to marry anyone.

For Amélia de Orleans e Bragança, love is more important.

For Princess Amélia of Brazil, the Dynasty is more important.

Amélia can marry for love, but Princess Amélia will (maybe) lose her rights. It's quite simple.

And IMHO since Amélia de Orleans e Bragança and Princess Amélia of Brazil are the same person, it is clear that love is more important rather than remain a Brazilian dynast.

And IMHO since Amélia de Orleans e Bragança and Princess Amélia of Brazil are the same person, it is clear that love is more important rather than remain a Brazilian dynast.

Love is more important. But, as my grandmother always says "You have to face to consequences when you decides to make things for love".

I'm sure she'ss well aware of the consequences she'll have to face by marrying to Mr. Spearman.
BTW hopefully these consequences will remain only purely theorical and won't affect too much their life.

This announcement took me by susprise. I didn't even know she had a boyfriend. Anyway, I'm very happy to read about it.

I wish the couple all the luck in the world.

Does anyone know more details about the couple? When and where will the wedding be? Where will they live after the wedding, etc?

I expect losing ones place in the line of succession to a non-existent throne is not so great a prince to pay. Since there does not seem to be any great family fortune to be cut off from marriage for love seems a perfectly normal choice to make. One can hardly live ones life based on family rules for an Empire and a throne that were lost more than 100 years ago.

Poor Prince Rafael; the expectation and pressure intensifies.

This announcement took me by susprise. I didn't even know she had a boyfriend.
I aware that Her Royal Highness was dating someone from the British gentry, but I was treating it as rumour, because it's was a cousin of mine, who lives in Belgium, who told me.

When and where will the wedding be?
Tradition dictates she has to marry in Brazil. It's a long standing tradition. She'll probably marry at Igreja de Nossa Senhora da Glória do Outeiro, the Imperial Family's favorite church, in Rio de Janeiro.

Where will they live after the wedding, etc?
Well, the Princess is currently living and working in London.

Why? Nothing really changes for him...
Exactly. Princess Amélia was never the direct heiress. Her children would not be part of the Imperial Family in any way.

Last edited by a moderator:
That would depend wouldn't it? If her brother would marry a non-royal she (and her children) would be the one who will eventually have gotten the succession.

For now this means that in the end there will be four people left of her generation that can succeed: prince Rafael, princess Gabriela, and the son and daughter of the princess de Ligne. So the chances that the Vassouras branch will make it to a next generation just decreased with 20%. As said, they have made it very hard on themselves. Why I do not know, as ebenburtigheit was never a requirement for the thrones of Portugal or Brazil when they were existing.

So the chances that the Vassouras branch will make it to a next generation just decreased with 20%.

As Prince Antônio always says, there's no "branch". There's a Imperial Family.

Why I do not know, as ebenburtigheit was never a requirement for the thrones of Portugal or Brazil when they were existing.

Princess Isabel introduced it, as a House Law, when she was the Head of the Imperial House, and no subsequent Head of the Imperial House decided to end with this Law.

That would depend wouldn't it? If her brother would marry a non-royal she (and her children) would be the one who will eventually have gotten the succession.

For now this means that in the end there will be four people left of her generation that can succeed: prince Rafael, princess Gabriela, and the son and daughter of the princess de Ligne. So the chances that the Vassouras branch will make it to a next generation just decreased with 20%. As said, they have made it very hard on themselves. Why I do not know, as ebenburtigheit was never a requirement for the thrones of Portugal or Brazil when they were existing.

Succeed to what? A non-existent throne that will never be. They should live their lives for their own joy. They are good people who should have real lives.

Succeed to what? A non-existent throne that will never be. They should live their lives for their own joy. They are good people who should have real lives.

They are standing up for their beliefs, that's their joy, that's their lives, and the lives of their supporters too.

Succeed to what? A non-existent throne that will never be.
You've been a member here for six years now, surely you understand that it involves a whole lot more than "a non-existant throne"? These people are aristocrats representing a proud dynasty with a proud history and a long and distinguished royal lineage. They, or at least some of them, believe in preserving it. This is what aristocrats do. The issue is not so much the "non-existant throne" but the Headship of the House, dynastic preservation and the upholding of those values and beliefs they hold dear.

Those memebrs of the family who wish to continue certain dynastic or family traditions will do so, those that don't won't. Either way they are living their lives they way they want. It doesn't affect most of us personally so what's the problem?

I aware that Her Royal Highness was dating someone from the British gentry, but I was treating it as rumour, because it's was a cousin of mine, who lives in Belgium, who told me.

Tradition dictates she has to marry in Brazil. It's a long standing tradition. She'll probably marry at Igreja de Nossa Senhora da Glória do Outeiro, the Imperial Family's favorite church, in Rio de Janeiro.

Well, the Princess is currently living and working in London.

Exactly. Princess Amélia was never the direct heiress. Her children would not be part of the Imperial Family in any way.

what does amelia do in london exactly? i imagine that's where she met her future husband?

i am coming late into this discussion, but i guess that since she marries an aristocrat she is conforming to the family tradition? or does she need to marry an aristocrat of a certain level for her "rights to succesion" to be held?

i hope the couple release an official picture of them so that we get to know the groom!

what does amelia do in london exactly? i imagine that's where she met her future husband?

Princess Amélia is an architect, she's living and working in London, previously, she was living and working in Barcelona.

i am coming late into this discussion, but i guess that since she marries an aristocrat she is conforming to the family tradition? or does she need to marry an aristocrat of a certain level for her "rights to succesion" to be held?

Normally, only a marriage with a Prince would be recognized as Dynastic. James has an interesting set of ancestors, but he has no title.

But there's a precedent, the Princess Amélia's great-aunt, Princess Pia Maria (1913-2000), married a Count of Nicolay and was allowed to kept her succession rights.

i hope the couple release an official picture of them so that we get to know the groom!

The Imperial Family hasn't issued any official note about the engagement, yet.

Last edited:
You've been a member here for six years now, surely you understand that it involves a whole lot more than "a non-existant throne"? These people are aristocrats representing a proud dynasty with a proud history and a long and distinguished royal lineage. They, or at least some of them, believe in preserving it. This is what aristocrats do. The issue is not so much the "non-existant throne" but the Headship of the House, dynastic preservation and the upholding of those values and beliefs they hold dear.

Those memebrs of the family who wish to continue certain dynastic or family traditions will do so, those that don't won't. Either way they are living their lives they way they want. It doesn't affect most of us personally so what's the problem?

I have no problem, I see two very nice looking and lovely young people, one who is making a choice to live a normal, happy life and is being faulted for not upholding an ancient and useless tradition in todays day and age. If it can be noted that most of the functioning, European Monarchies have long since moved forward and have accepted wonderful new blood into their fold. Now, if they found someone who fit the bill, that is fine, but to spend time and lose good opportunities for happy unions for this, I think it is a mockery.

Great find. Thanks for sharing, BrazilianEmpire

According to columnist Marcia Peltier, Princess Amélia of Brazil will marry Alexander James Spearman on August 2014, in Rio de Janeiro.

They are both 29 and living in London, where the Princess is working as an architect, and James, graduated in History and Economy, works in a bank.

Although the Imperial House hasn't announced the engagement, I think Peltier is a reliable source, as she's the sister of Princess Maritza of Orleans-Braganza, wife of Prince Alberto of Orleans-Braganza, Princess Amélia's uncle.

Jornal do Commercio Marcia Peltier: Franquia em alta

Last edited:
So, we'll have to wait a year to see Amélia as a bride

So, we'll have to wait a year to see Amélia as a bride

And I'm sure she'll be a stunning bride. Mom is already hoping for an invitation.

The wedding will probably take place at Igreja de Nossa Senhora da Glória do Outeiro, but I would like to see a Imperial Wedding at Petrópolis Cathedral, the Duke of Braganza's parents married there, in 1942.

Back
Top Bottom