Imperial Family of Brazil 1: Ending 2021

• Thread starter CountessofLuxembourg
  • Start date

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The wedding of Princess Dona Amélia with Sir Alexander James Spearman will be celebrated on 16 August, in the Church of Nossa Senhora do Monte do Carmo, in Rio de Janeiro. She will be no more in the Line of Succession to the Throne.

Last edited:
(not sure if this is the right thread, if not please move)

Dutch writer and journalist Annemarie Haverkamp travels the world to interview famous parents with handicapped children (and the children themselves).
One of her articles is about Princes Maria Cristina de Orleans e Braganca (who was born with Down's Syndrome) and her parents Dom Joao de Orleans e Braganca and Stella Luterbach. The article is a short version on a chapter on Princes Maria Cristina in a yet to be published book by Annemarie Haverkamp. The article was also published in various local dutch newspapers.
Article on the author's website (in dutch):
Braziliaanse prinses met Down-syndroom | Annemarie Haverkamp

translated to english with google translate (unfortunately google translate is not too good with dutch, but I hope you get the "gist")
https://translate.google.nl/translate?sl=nl&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.annemariehaverkamp.nl%2Fbraziliaanse-prinses-met-down-syndroom%2F&edit-text=

Last edited:
On Sunday, Princess Cristina of Orleans-Braganza represented her second-cousin, Prince Luiz, Head of the Imperial House of Brazil, at the launch of the book "Her Imperial Majesty D. Thereza Christina Maria of Bourbon and Braganza, the Mother of Brazilians", the biography of Her Royal Highness' great-great-grandmother, Empress Teresa Cristina (1822-1889), the consort of Emperor Pedro II of Brazil (1825-1891), born Princess of the Two-Sicilies. The book was wrote by Professor Rogério da Silva Tjäder, the oldest militant of the Brazilian Monarchist Movement and well-known academic.

Picture:

https://scontent-a-atl.xx.fbcdn.net...=678d049a04639aad6ce9c5bf07a2ad33&oe=54E6C052

The gentlemen were dressed as 19th century Brazilian nobles, as the launch was held at a farm from that period. On the wall, the flag of the Empire of Brazil and pictures of Emperor Pedro II and Empress Teresa Cristina.

-------------------------------

On Tuesday, Prince Bertrand, Prince Imperial of Brazil, attended Solemn at the Church of St. Mary Mother of God, in Washington D.C.. The Mass was in honor of Blessed Emperor Karl of Austria (1887-1922), who was a third cousin of the Prince Imperial's father, Prince Pedro Henrique (1909-1981), former Head of the Imperial House of Brazil. The Emperor's wife, Empress Zita (1892-1989), was a great-aunt of the Prince Imperial's sister-in-law, Princess Christine (née Princess of Ligne), wife of Prince Antonio of Brazil.

Before the Mass, His Imperial and Royal Highness attended a lunch and gave a lecture on the life and faith of the Blessed Emperor. The Prince Imperial arrived in the United States on the 19th and will come back to Brazil next Sunday. His Imperial and Royal Highness went to the US on invitation of the American Society for the Defence of Tradition, Family and Property.

Pictures of the lunch:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd...._=1424645321_49bf05cd17632a43ba8deb5f8f17c528

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd...._=1424836734_a04ac925dbfe5acb29e458ae0255fbfe

Has Princess Isabel (Countess of Stolberg-Stolberg) already had her boy?

Count Alexander of Stolberg (b. 26 February 1974) [firstborn son of Count Josef Emnauel of Stolberg (b. 1936) & his wife, Countess Jacqueline, née Florin de Duikinberg (b. 1942)] & his wife Countess Isabel, née Princess of Orleans-Braganza (b. 30 January 1978) [firstborn daughter of Prince Fernando of Orleans-Braganza (n. 1948) & his wife, Princess Maria da Graça (b. 1952), née de Siqueira Carvalho Baère de Araújo] had their first child, Count Louis-Bernhard Josef Maximilian Diniz Rafael Nuno Karl Baudouin Maria of Stolberg, on 16 December, in Brussels.

Source: https://www.facebook.com/CausaImperi...type=1&theater

Last edited:
Prince Luiz, Head of the Imperial House of Brazil, and his brother and heir, Prince Bertrand, Prince Imperial of Brazil, spent Christmas Eve attending Misa del Gallo at the Church da Ordem Terceira do Monte do Carmo, the oldest church in the city of São Paulo, build in 17th century.

Other members of the Imperial Family spent Christmas at the house of Prince Alberto and Princess Maritza of Orleans-Braganza, in Rio.

On the 23th, the Head of the Imperial House sent his Christmas Message to all Brazilians. His Imperial and Royal Highness talked about the first Christmas and his hopes for the future.

The Message:

https://www.facebook.com/promonarqu...551259781459/1575138572722727/?type=1&theater

ImageUploadedByThe Royals Community1419956315.560029.jpg

Prince Pedro Henrique of Orléans-Braganza

Emperor Pedro III of Brazil

His Grace, The Duke

Count Alexander of Stolberg has explained the meaning of each of his son's eleven names:

Louis - after King St. Louis IX of France (1214-1270), an ancestor of the baby; Prince Luiz, Head of the Imperial House of Brazil, maternal great-uncle of the baby; Blessed Louis Martin (1823-1894), father of St. Thérèse of Lisieux; and Princess Luiza of Orleans-Braganza, the baby's maternal aunt and godmother.

Bernhard - after St. Bernhard of Clairveux (1190-1153).

Josef - after the baby's paternal grandfather, Count Josef "Franz" of Stolberg; and St. Joseph.

Maximilian - after the baby's paternal uncle and godfather, Count Maximilian of Stolberg.

Diniz - second name of the baby's maternal grandfather, Prince Fernando of Orleans-Braganza; it's also after King Diniz of Portugal (1261-1325), the baby's ancestor.

Rafael - after the Archangel (one of the traditional names of the House of Braganza: Miguel Gabriel Rafael Gonzaga) and after the baby's mother's first cousin, Prince Rafael of Brazil.

Nuno - after St. Nuno of Santa Maria (1360-1431), the baby's ancestor.

Karl - after the Blessed Emperor Karl of Austria (1887-1922), the baby's distant relative.

Pius - after St. Pio of Pietrelcina.

Baudouin - after King Baudouin of the Belgians (1930-1993).

Maria - last name of all members of the House of Stolberg.

Source:

https://www.facebook.com/CausaImper...0.1420830839./834256636613403/?type=1&theater

Last edited:
The Head of the Imperial House of Brazil, the Prince Imperial and Prince Antonio have signed the Filial Appeal to His Holiness Pope Francis on the future of the family, asking the Pope to reaffirm the traditional christian values of family.

Many other royals have signed it, including King Kigeli V of Rwanda, the Duke of Braganza and Duchess Marie-Cécile of Oldenburg.

A full list of the personalities who have signed it:

Personalities who have signed - Filial Appeal to His Holiness Pope Francis

On the 2nd of february, the Prince Imperial of Brazil celebrated his 74th birthday.

Pró Monarquia, The Secretariat of the Imperial House of Brazil, organized a dinner in his honour, at a restaurant in São Paulo. Among the present, were his nephew Prince Rafael of Brazil, his cousin Prince Casimir of the Two-Sicilies and his wife, born Princess Maria Christina of Savoy-Aosta, Count William José Carlos Marmoti di Gaeta and many monarchists and friends of the Imperial Family.

During the dinner, Judge José Antônio de Paula Santos Neto gave a speech, exalting the Prince Imperial's lifetime of work for Brazil. His Imperial and Royal Highness also gave a speech, thanking everyone for paying tribute to him.

The Prince Imperial of Brazil giving his speech, with Princess Maria Christina of the Two-Sicilies by his right side:

https://scontent-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hph...=956bf395b874e18411423a04d23dc182&oe=556512DF

Prince Rafael of Brazil being greeted by Professor Luiz Augusto da Silva Franco, Secretary of the Imperial House of Brazil. Next to Professor Franco is Prince Casimir of the Two-Sicilies:

https://scontent-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hph...=40555c3a55ad89d8f9d0644313fc5a0f&oe=554C9D4F

More pictures:

https://www.facebook.com/promonarquia/posts/1593656594204258

Last edited:
Cris M said:
The Head of the Imperial House of Brazil, the Prince Imperial and Prince Antonio have signed the Filial Appeal to His Holiness Pope Francis on the future of the family, asking the Pope to reaffirm the traditional christian values of family.

Many other royals have signed it, including King Kigeli V of Rwanda, the Duke of Braganza and Duchess Marie-Cécile of Oldenburg.

Would that be Pss Marie Cecile of Prussia? Who divorced Duke Friedrich of Oldenburg? I assume she must be taking the family appeal seriously as she is still using her ex-husbands title. I never knew she converted to catholicism. Her son Paul and his Spanish wife are also on the list, as are the Fuerst and Fuertstin of Lowenstein-Wertheim-Rosenberg and Pss Helene of France, Css de Limbourg-Stirum. No reigning royals though I am sure some of the Lux/Belgian royals would have loved to join the group.

I suppose 'defending christian family values' is a euphemism for 'against gay marriage'? Or do they focus on other things that -according to them- are threatening catholic families?

Thanks for the updates Cris M, most interesting & much appreciated-as usual.

I believe that Pss M. Cristina of the Two Sicilies was born as Pss of Savoy-Aosta, her sister is the widowed Archduchess Robert of Austria, mother of Pss Lorenz of Belgium.

Last edited:
You're welcome, Marengo.

I have the same doubt, as I don't know if there's any other Marie-Cécile in the Oldenburg family and always thought the only Catholic Oldenburgs were Duke Paul (who also signed the Filial Appeal), his wife and children.

I believe that Pss M. Cristina of the Two Sicilies was born as Pss of Savoy-Aosta, her sister is the widowed Archduchess Robert of Austria, mothe rof Pss Lorenz of Belgium.

You're right. I'll correct it.

:previous:

I didn't want to imply that you made an error, I just wanted to add some background info as there are so many princesses of the Two Sicilies.

Princess Maria Isabella of Savoy-Genoa also lives in Brazil I believe, but I have never seen a picture of her so she must evade such events.

I just checked the online Gotha of Paul Theroff (what a treasure) and the only Marie Cecile I found was the princess of Prussia. So it must be her. Very odd to be using the name of a man that she divorced in the 80-ties. As the catholic church used not to recognise protestant baptisms until at least the 60-ties, I suppose they do not recognise protestant divorces?

Last edited:
I didn't want to imply that you made an error, I just wanted to add some background info as there are so many princesses of the Two Sicilies.

Princess Maria Isabella of Savoy-Genoa also lives in Brazil I believe, but I have never seen a picture of her so she must evade such events.

That's hardly a problem, Marengo, as I made an error.

I think you're right about Princess Maria Isabella. There's a lot of European royals and nobles living in Brazil. Prince and Princess Casimir are close to the Imperial Family because the Prince was a first cousin of Prince Pedro Henrique, the late Head of the Imperial House and father of the Prince Imperial and his eleven brothers and sisters.

As the catholic church used not to recognise protestant baptisms until at least the 60-ties, I suppose they do not recognise protestant divorces?

Sorry, but I don't know the answer for that question.

I don't want to stir up controversy, but, strictly speaking, I suppose you should refer to the person above as the pretender Prince Imperial of Brazil. Under the Brazilian imperial constitution of 1824, D.Bertrand is only 21st, I guess, in the line of succession.

That would be the case only if I didn't recognize the validity of the renunciation act signed by Prince Pedro de Alcantara in 1908, which is not the case - not for me nor for the majority of Brazilian monarchists, the European Royal Houses or even the Brazilian Republican Government and the media.

So I'll keep calling him The Prince Imperial of Brazil.

I suppose 'defending christian family values' is a euphemism for 'against gay marriage'? Or do they focus on other things that -according to them- are threatening catholic families?

Sorry, Marengo, I only noticed your question now. You can read the full text of the Filial Appeal here:

Filial Appeal to His Holiness Pope Francis

I must say my parents, sister, brother-in-law and I signed it.

Thank you for the answer Cris, it makes an interesting read and I will leave it at that. :flowers:

I am surprised that not more members of the IF have signed it TBH, or are the names not public?

Last edited:
I am surprised that not more members of the IF have signed it TBH, or are the names not public?

It's possible they signed it but their names were not put on the list. I expect Princess Christine and the Prince and Princess of Ligne would have signed it.

The brothers and sisters of the Head of the Imperial House who have renounced their dynastic rights are all very discreet, but it's possible that they signed it.

I'll post any update on the matter here.

Princess Maria Gabriela of Orleans-Braganza (known professionally as Lelli de Orleans e Bragança) has released her most recent painting:

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...=fc90cb416fb7d7d862c2ba91075527ca&oe=555B1B60

Her Royal Highness is the youngest of the twelve children of Prince Pedro Henrique (1909-1981), Head of the Imperial House of Brazil from 1921 to his death, and his wife, born Princess Maria of Bavaria (1914-2011). Thus, Princess Maria Gabriela is the younger sister of the current Head of the Imperial House of Brazil, Prince Luiz. She also has a twin sister, Princess Maria Thereza, Mrs. Johannes de Jong, who lives in Belgium with her husband and children. The Princess shares her name with her niece, Princess Maria Gabriela of Brazil, daughter of Prince Antonio.

Princess Maria Gabriela's official website:

Lelli de Orleans e Bragança | Academic Artist

More of her paintings:

Paintings | Lelli de Orleans e Bragança

Yesterday, millions of people took the streets across Brazil, to protest against the corrupt and authoritarian government of President Rousseff and her party PT (Brazilian "Workers" Party).

If anyone is interested on the news about the protests, here's a link to Google News:

https://news.google.com/news/story?...a=X&ei=efkGVbaRJIWlgwSK-YKICA&ved=0CCcQqgIwAA

Prince Luiz, Head of the Imperial House of Brazil, ordered his Secretariat to issue the following statement:

Communiqué from the Secretariat of the Imperial House of Brazil

The Country is going through a serious political, economical and, above all, moral crisis, which plunged in recent weeks with implications and consequences still difficult to predict.

Such a crisis, besides causing a great discredit to the institutions, is, at a time, cause and consequence of a serious discontent that has spread from north to south, throughout the entire Brazilian society.

The left, in their zeal to consolidate an increasingly more collectivist and authoritarian project of power, has incrusted itself in all corners of the State, which they harnessed relentlessly, draining its energy and hatching one of the biggest corruption scandals of all time, which, however, still does provide for bigger scandals.

Eager to impose an ideological agenda to the Country, this same left defied the feelings of the average Brazilian, who craves for a rising Brazil, in legitimate continuity with its past. And, increasingly, a feeling of apprehension and nonconformity spreads into the deeper layers of the population. The left has lost the battle of popularity.

Now, throughout Brazil, there are calls for demonstrations that, within the framework of a free and democratic regime, intend to, legitimately, express this huge discontent. It is natural that, among these Brazilians, are many monarchists who see, in this crises, one of the symptoms of the inauthenticity of the republican regime, which, in just over a century, brought turmoil and endless uncertainty to our public life.

We are sure that Our Lady of Aparecida, to whom Emperor Pedro I consecrated, as Patroness, our Country, will rescue it, again, in this time of uncertainty, and will bring it back to the historical path from which it should never have got distanced.

São Paulo, March 13th, 2015.

Last edited:
Yes, I read about that protests. Over 1 million people in Sao Paulo alone!

I didn't know about Our Lady of Aparecida, but apparently it is the patroness of Brazil:
Our Lady of Aparecida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I was in the protest in Rio (with my flag of the Empire, of course!).

The Government is trying to play down the numbers, but you can't lie when there are hundreds of images of people on the streets. I've heard there was over 3 million people protesting all over Brazil!

Yes, Emperor Pedro I consecrated Brazil to Our Lady, just after the Independence. She is called the Patroness and Queen of Brazil.

On the 9th, The Prince Imperial of Brazil gave a short interview to Agronotícias, a news program from AgroTV, a network focused on agriculture.

His Imperial and Royal Highness talked about the ideal relation between man and nature and the dangers of fanatic environmentalism. The Prince Imperial said:

No one is in favor of the destruction of the environment. We want a balanced protection, but not a divinization of nature, such that it can not be touch by anything.

His Imperial and Royal Highness is the author of Psicose Ambientalista (Environmentalist Psychosis), a modest publishing success, science-based, that belies many myths created by radical environmentalists.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7xk6kksSjE

On the 12th, The Prince Imperial of Brazil was a guest of honor at the solemnity of passage of command of the Brazilian Army Staff. His Imperial and Royal Highness is a personal friend of the former commander, General Adhemar da Costa Machado Filho.

During the ceremony, The Prince Imperial was the first in the order of precedence, ranking over politicians, members of the Army and other authorities.

Source: Pró Monarquia

https://www.facebook.com/promonarqu...551259781459/1609283252641592/?type=1&theater

Yesterday, The Prince Imperial of Brazil received, at his residence in São Paulo, the First Secretary of the Brazilian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Dr. César de Oliveira Lima Barrio.

His Imperial and Royal Highness and the Secretary discussed Brazilian diplomacy and politics and the vision other countries have of Brazil.

Source: Pró Monarquia

https://www.facebook.com/promonarqu...551259781459/1616518448584739/?type=1&theater

Prince Rafael's birthday

Last friday (the 24th), Prince Rafael of Brazil turned 29. On Monday (the 27th), Prince Luiz, the Head of the Imperial House of Brazil offered a dinner, at his house, in São Paulo, in honor of his nephew.

Other uncle, Prince Bertrand, The Prince Imperial of Brazil and Prince Gabriel of Orleans-Braganza (a first cousin of Prince Rafael) were also present, as well as many monarchists, members of the Secretariat of the Imperial House.

After the dinner, there were speeches from the Head of the Imperial House and from Prince Rafael. His Royal Highness also received hundreds of congratulatory messages, from monarchists from all over Brazil.

Pró Monarquia, the official Facebook page of the Imperial House of Brazil, posted some pictures:

The Prince Imperial, the Head of the Imperial House, Prince Rafael and Prince Gabriel

https://scontent-gru.xx.fbcdn.net/h...=f591ae2d1ad8242c8d80ca1812a47652&oe=55C66618

The four Princes and the guests

https://scontent-gru.xx.fbcdn.net/h...=e7beede5cc9431d86c6d5a7144affd3f&oe=55D223F3

Princes Rafael and Gabriel chatting with one of the guests

https://scontent-gru.xx.fbcdn.net/h...=b9a9729ba0f6f83e49fd26648f05925c&oe=55CBB11F

The Head of the Imperial House

https://scontent-gru.xx.fbcdn.net/h...60_1627896770780240_3671025956669822077_o.jpg

Prince Rafael chatting with his uncles, the Head of the Imperial House and the Prince Imperial

https://scontent-gru.xx.fbcdn.net/h...=04f6b50ccf23908608ed5a48f201c55a&oe=559B970D

The Prince Imperial and Prince Gabriel

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd...._=1439580105_d3204b91dd21dd042e071b9ed778e9b3

The speech from the Head of the Imperial House

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd...._=1436159285_bae32fa36d270e7df1d1cfda871c7b5a

The speech from Prince Rafael

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd...._=1439957359_517720bf3d1ce174426fb13b22396d11

https://scontent-gru.xx.fbcdn.net/h...=be8c77b3c68d1bd654210606402eaee3&oe=55DFE8CA

The toast

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd...._=1436329740_f79b5ddc72a90f57bcbfd0b28cd272b7

Prince Rafael receiving a congratulatory message signed by young monarchists

https://scontent-gru.xx.fbcdn.net/h...=5c838e47a3b2a910fcdfccb0c9b67b86&oe=55CCAA33

Thank you for the nice pictures. Dom Rafael de Orléans e Bragança e Ligne is fourth in line of the Brazilean throne after his father, Dom Antônio.

But who is "his first cousin" Prince Gabriel? Who are his parents and what is his relationship to Dom Rafael?

But who is "his first cousin" Prince Gabriel? Who are his parents and what is his relationship to Dom Rafael?

Prince Gabriel is third child and only son of Prince Pedro de Alcantara of Orleans-Braganza and his wife, born Maria de Fátima de Andrada Baptista de Oliveira de Lacerda Rocha, a descendant of Brazilian High Aristocracy.

Prince Pedro de Alcantara (born a Prince of Brazil) is one of the many brother of the Head of the Imperial House, of the Prince Imperial and of Prince Antonio. He rennounced, before his marriage to a commoner, his dynastics rights, for him and his descendants.

So Prince Rafael and Prince Gabriel are first cousins because their fathers are brothers. Prince Gabriel was also the best friend of Prince Rafael's late older brother, Prince Pedro Luiz of Brazil (1983-2009).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom