Imperial Family of Brazil 1: Ending 2021

• Thread starter CountessofLuxembourg
  • Start date

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't there some controversy about that, 2 sides claiming the headship. Something to do with Empress (de jure) Maria who was influenced by a (born Croy) Austrian Archduchess to disinherit her eldest son for marrying morganatically, while the Brazilian Imperial House did not have such rules at all.

Marengo said:
Isn't there some controversy about that, 2 sides claiming the headship. Something to do with Empress (de jure) Maria who was influenced by a (born Croy) Austrian Archduchess to disinherit her eldest son for marrying morganatically, while the Brazilian Imperial House did not have such rules at all.
Dom Pedro, the eldest son of Dona Isabel, Princess Imperial of Brazil, renounced his rights to the Imperial Crown for himself and his descendants in 1908 when he married Elisabeth, daughter of Count Dobrzensky von Dobrzenica (of Bohemian nobility).

On the death of the Princess Imperial in 1921 the Headship of the House passed to her 2nd son, Dom Luiz, followed by his son Henrique, then his son Don Luiz Gastão (born 1938, unmarried), who is today considered to be the Head of the Imperial House of Brazil.

However, in 1946 Pedro's eldest son, Dom Pedro Gastão, assumed the Headship of the Imperial and Royal House of Orléans and Bragança by claiming that his father's renunciation should not stand. A 'flimsy' challenge, but he is rich and well-connected: of his sisters, Isabelle married the Comte de Paris, Head of the Royal House of France, and Maria Francisca married the Duke of Bragança and is the mother of Dom Duarte, the current Head of the Royal House of Portugal.

Dom Pedro Gastão, born in 1913, is still alive; his wife Maria de la Esperanza, neé Princess of Bourbon-Two Sicilies died last year, and was a sister of the late Countess of Barcelona (mother of King Juan Carlos).

Anna_R said:
Indiference, that's the word. As the Republic came in 1889, no one really has a clue of how was to live in any other regime.

They're respected, they sometimes are featured in the news - when there's a big event coming up or something, but they're treated mainly as any millionaires would be treated by the Brazilian people and media, a kind of celebrities...

The Imperial family has some official activity in Brazil, or they do not have any relevancy.?

Do they support friendship with other royal houses?

Thanks in avance!:flowers:

Paty said:
The Imperial family has some official activity in Brazil, or they do not have any relevancy.?

Do they support friendship with other royal houses?

Thanks in avance!:flowers:

As far as I'm concerned they have no special relevancy whatsoever. All of them have regular jobs and pay their taxes. I've heard that some of them indeed work with NGO's and with charity, but they're hardly mediatized. Except when someone dies, sad, but true.

Well, I prefer the Petropolis branch any day (though their claim is weaker indeed), the 'Luiz'-branch is extremely conservative I am told. As I said before, didn't Dom Pedro later claim that he was morte or less forced to renounce his rights. And he indicated that an Austrian Archduchess (born princess Isabelle of Croy) had influenced his mother to do so, he suspected out of revenge that Pedro did not marry one of her daughters (which was in the planning).

The Emperor would be the head of the Brazilian Imperial House, Prince Luiz of Orléans-Braganza.
The Prince Imperial, title reserved to the heir to the throne, would be Prince Luiz's brother Prince Bertrand of Orléans-Braganza
The third in line is Prince Antonio of Orléans-Braganza, followed by his children:

4th. Prince Pedro Luís of Orléans-Braganza (1983)
5th. Prince Rafael (1986)
6th. Princess Amélia (1984)
7th. Princess Maria Gabriela Fernanda (1989)

Has anyone got an idea, where to find actual pictures of Prince Antonio´s and Princess Christine de Ligne´s children, which are mentioned here?

This family interests me a lot, but where I live infos and pictures are very very hard to find. Are there any newspapers or something?

I also speek portughese.

Thanks!

I read on the web at if a family member of the former Brazilizan imperial family were to marry an commoner they would lose their title and their right to the defacto throne.The only way it keep the right to the throne and their title is to marry a royal or noble.

I think they only needed the permission of the head of the imperial family, hence the controvercy about Elisabeth Dobrenicz and now about the Petropolis branch.

Here´s a link to a youtube video of the Imperial Family:

YouTube - FamÃ*lia Imperial Brasileira: Monarquia

P.S.: Eventually, when Dom Luiz, and then Dom Bertrand and after him, Dom Antonio passed alway, Dom Pedro will become the Head of the Imperial Family.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is an interview that D. Bertrand de Orleans e Bragança (second in line to the throne) gave to the magazine Inédita, in 1998. At the time, he visited Portugal, to participate in the celebrations of the 200th anniversary of Emperor D. Pedro I (king D. Pedro IV of Portugal):

V. - O Poder Moderador

Notícias do Douro - 25-05-2007 - Sociedade - A família imperial no Brasil

The Duke and Duchess of Bragança have accepted the invitation sent by the mayor of Rio de Janeiro, Cesar Maia, to attend the celebrations of the 200 years since the displacement of D. João VI and his Court to Brazil. The celebrations are going to start at the Royal and Imperial Cathedral (the Church of Nossa Senhora do Carmo), which is the only 16th century monument in Rio.

Rumors about a new union between Braganza and Habsburg?

Hello, here in Brazil there were for a time some rumours about the possible marriage between Dom Pedro Luiz (Dom Peter Louis), future Head of the Brazilian Imperial Family and Archduchess Marie Christine of Habsburg, daughter of the Archduke Charles Christian. It seems that both are related through their mother´s side.

Can someone confirm this rumour or at least tell me if it has appeared outside of Brazil?

I found some pictures of Marie Christine on this very forum:

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f69/princess-marie-astrid-her-children-info-news-pics-3868.html

Last edited:
Videos of the current members of the Imperial House of Brazil (Vassouras):

An interview given by Prince D.Antonio of Brazil in 2006:
Part I
Part II
Part III
Part IV
Part V
Part VI
Part VII

Interview given by Prince D.Bertrand of Brazil on 21 Apr 2005

Prince D.Rafael of Brazil speaking at a monarchist function

Members of the imperial family entering church for a mass held on the sixty-ninth birthday of Prince D.Luíz Gastão of Brazil

Oh and one from the Petrópolis:
Interview with Prince D.João Henrique of Orleans-Braganza

Source: Youtube

Last edited:
I never heard the rumour but such an engagement wouldn't surprise me, both come from fairly conservative families who still marry equally and are related through the de Ligne's. I believe Pedro Luiz lived/is living in Luxembourg as he is working for some kind of institution (a bank?).

I never heard the rumour but such an engagement wouldn't surprise me, both come from fairly conservative families who still marry equally and are related through the de Ligne's. I believe Pedro Luiz lived/is living in Luxembourg as he is working for some kind of institution (a bank?).

Indeed you are correct. He is STILL living and working in there and some say that he will return married. What´s is true and what´s rumours, we never know!

There'll be several celebrations of the 200th anniversary of the family's arrrival to Rio de Janeiro next year. All related to showing cultural aspects of the life at that time and also to show the legacy that D. João has left to us. They foresee expos, plays, books...

Until now, none of the events will have attendance of the Brazilian royals, but the schedule is still tentative, so there's hope.

Comemorações dos 200 anos da vinda da Família Real » Diário do Rio de Janeiro

Why don´t the Orleans-Braganca´s attend? They weren´t invited or they declined?

Videos of the current members of the Imperial House of Brazil:
Thank you for the interesting link. Do you also know about any recent photos of Don Rafael and his siblings? It was also interesting for me that they descend from the Murats through mother Christine de Ligne. All have Bonaparte blood. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Why don´t the Orleans-Braganca´s attend? They weren´t invited or they declined?

I was referring to the international royalty. I believe that there's a high possibility that the Orleans e Bragança will be represented in some of the events, at least.

Orleanz and Braganza are or not members of the French Royal House?

Well, I´d like to know if the brazilian Imperial Family is or not considered part of the French Royal House.

This doubt appeared after I read the text that can be found here:

The 1909 "Pacte de Famille" of the House of Orléans

Please, read carefully the text.

So, what´s the truth, then?

Both branches? That would be lovely, now let´s hope they all behave and we won´t get any scenes as during the Spanish wedding (when two rival claimants to the Italian throne got into a fight), this time Queen Anne-Marie won´t be there to take care of the woonded ;).

But seriously, how much rivalry is there between the two branches? Are they at least civil towards each?

D. João de Orleans e Bragança says that he puts away the luxury to live in simplicity
The prince tells 'TRIP' magazine that the imperial family is not rich and that his greatest patrimony is his family

Known as D. Joãozinho (which means 'Little João' in Portuguese), he, who's a photographer says that he rather travel around Brazil than abroad and choose Paraty as his city to live.

"People tend to think that the imperial family is rich... My greatest honor is having nothing. The family's history is my patrimony."

Picture

Source: EGO - NOTÍCIAS - NAS BANCAS D. João de Orleans e Bragança diz descartar o luxo para viver na simplicidade

Both branches? That would be lovely, now let´s hope they all behave and we won´t get any scenes as during the Spanish wedding (when two rival claimants to the Italian throne got into a fight), this time Queen Anne-Marie won´t be there to take care of the woonded ;).

But seriously, how much rivalry is there between the two branches? Are they at least civil towards each?

There are no fights and they get along pretty well.

The problem was that when Dom Pedro Gastão, son of Dom Pedro de Alcântara, who renouced his rights to the throne, declared that his father renounciation was invalid (it is valid), it occured a breach in the Imperial Family.

His father renounced in 1908, before he was even born and always, always make it clear for everyone that he wasn´t heir to throne and that his renounce was valid. But when he died in 1940, his son wanted to ignore his father´s world and actions and declared himself heir to the throne.

Even so, most, and I repeat, most of the monarchists are on Pedro Gastão cousin´s side, not his.

Dom Pedro Gastão has no one supporting him today, and there no groups on his side. While Dom Luiz, son of his cousin, has several groups that support him.

The main reason for the reason that no one is supporting Dom Pedro Gastão anymore is bacause he is more than 90 years old now and live in Spain, not Brazil.

His oldest son never made any claim or ever tried to gather anykind of support. He never done anything in the name of the monarchy. Never participated on interviews, events, etc... nothing.

His oldest son, and grandchild of Pedro Gastão is even worse: he is the kind of prince that no one wants. The young man has more than 25 years old and doens´t work, has problems with the police because he sold historical objects from his aunt without her aknowledge, etc...

So, it´s a matter of time until it´s all over.

Let´s see some of the news on Pedro Gastão´s family:

1) Dom Pedro Carlos, Pedro Gastão´s oldest son, has sold the "Golden Feather" used by princess Izabella to sign the law that abolited slavery in Brazil. His sister wants to go into the court to get half of the money from the feather. It´s price was estimated in $250.000.

Source: http://veja.abril.com.br/vejarj/201206/patrimonio.html

Source: http://www.estadao.com.br/arteelazer/visuais/noticias/2006/mai/03/337.htm

2) The same sister want to the police asking for help against her abusive and alcooholic husband:

Source: http://www.terra.com.br/istoe/semana/138718.htm

3) Dom Pedro Thiago, son of Dom Pedro Carlos and grandchild of Dom Pedro Gastão demand $5.000 to appear in parties,

Source: http://www.colunista.com.br/olharsocial/ant12.htm

4) Dom Pedro Thiago will have to go to court because he sould historical objects from his aunt (the same on who has problems with the alcooholic husband) without her aknowledge.

Source: http://veja.abril.com.br/vejarj/311001/capa.html

5) Dom Pedro Thiago wants to became a police officer, even with problems with the police.

Source: http://www.terra.com.br/istoe/1670/1670semana.htm

6) Dom Pedro Thiago wants to become a politician and desire to become president of the Republic one day.

Source: http://clipping.planejamento.gov.br/Noticias.asp?NOTCod=150229

-------------------------------------------

Why someone would support this branch of the family?

Thanks for awnsering that, Lecen. I heard from a Brazilian that supported the claim of Dom Luiz that it would have been better for the monarchist cause in Brazil if the Petropolis branch would have been the main claimants as Dom Luiz and his brothers are extremely conservative, almlost fascist. Is there any truth in that?

When looking through the geneology of the brazilian royal family, its says that Irene de Nicolay b. November 6 1985 (Granddaughter of Princess pia) died April 10 2007, How did she die? She was so young! Is there Any photo of her too.

Thanks for awnsering that, Lecen. I heard from a Brazilian that supported the claim of Dom Luiz that it would have been better for the monarchist cause in Brazil if the Petropolis branch would have been the main claimants as Dom Luiz and his brothers are extremely conservative, almlost fascist. Is there any truth in that?

Of course that to Dom Pedro Gastão become the heir, as he always wanted, he would need propaganda against his rivals. :rolleyes:

Dom Luiz and Dom Bertrand are unmarried and are very religious. Although they would be considered "conservative", by no means at the point of being considered "fascists". They are the kind of people that believe that abortion is wrong, just as divorce and other stuff. They must be more catholic than the pope... :lol:

They oppose the left wing, people like Hugo Chavez from Venezulea. They believe people like him are nothing more than populist and demagogue dictators. I believe now you all have a "picture" of both princes.

Dom Antonio (Don Antony), the younger brother, it´s much more "down on earth" than his two brothers and his oldest son, Dom Pedro Luiz (Don Peter Louis), that has now 24 years old, one day will become the Head of the Imperial Family.

When looking through the geneology of the brazilian royal family, its says that Irene de Nicolay b. November 6 1985 (Granddaughter of Princess pia) died April 10 2007, How did she die? She was so young! Is there Any photo of her too.

I never heard of her before... :ermm:

Last edited:
I'm doing a quick post-and-go today to share something I found in youtube about the Imperial Family of Brazil.
:) Enjoy!

a 6:07 minute of all things Imperial in Brazil, flags, decorations, coats of arms, etc
YouTube - Familia Imperial Brasileira

a 4.44 minute video on the Imperial Family of Brazil
YouTube - Família Imperial Brasileira: Monarquia=

Prínce Joaozinho on a TV interview
YouTube - Príncipe Dom Joaozinho na TV Câmara=

I'll be back over the week. There are many more youtube mini videos related to royalty, palaces, etc but I'll track them down later on. Great for research since they are posted by persons with access to TV stations from around the world.
Bye :angel:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom