The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-23-2015, 06:22 PM
Courtier

Count Louis-Bernhard of Stolberg has made his debut!

On the 17th, his mother, Countess Isabel of Stolberg (née Princess of Orleans-Bragança) was received into the Imperial Brotherhood of Nossa Senhora da Glória (Our Lady of the Glory) do Outeiro, as a Sister Protectores during a Mass celebrated at the Imperial Church of Nossa Senhora da Glória do Outeiro, in Rio de Janeiro.

Following her Family's tradition, the Countess also consecrated her five months old son to the protection of Our Lady.

Also present were Count Louis-Bernhard's paternal grandparents, Prince Fernando and Princess Maria da Graça of Orleans-Braganza, and aunt and godmother, Princess Luiza of Orleans-Braganza, who's a Sister Protectress of the Imperial Brotherhood since 2007.

Dr. Guido Schäffer and his wife, Maria Nazareth, were also present. Their late son, Servant of God Guido Schäffer, was a Brazilian seminarist who is in process of beatification by the Vatican. Princess Maria da Graça and Dr. Schäffer are cousins.

The Family:

https://idisabel.files.wordpress.com....jpg?w=1000&h=

The consecration of Count Louis-Bernhard to Our Lady:

https://idisabel.files.wordpress.com...8.jpg?w=370&h=

https://idisabel.files.wordpress.com...2.jpg?w=370&h=

https://idisabel.files.wordpress.com...6.jpg?w=370&h=

https://idisabel.files.wordpress.com...2.jpg?w=370&h=

https://idisabel.files.wordpress.com...3.jpg?w=370&h=

(I loved this one) https://idisabel.files.wordpress.com...5.jpg?w=370&h=

https://idisabel.files.wordpress.com...4.jpg?w=370&h=

https://idisabel.files.wordpress.com...9.jpg?w=370&h=

More pictures:

https://idisabel.wordpress.com/2015/...ia-do-outeiro/

Princess Isabel (1846-1921), Princess Imperial and Regent of the Empire of Brazil, after she signed the Golden Law, in 1888, abolishing slavery in Brazil.
Old 07-02-2015, 04:21 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Posts about Princess Alix de Ligne have been moved in the Princely House de Ligne thread.

Old 08-03-2015, 05:11 PM
Courtier

Princess Mia Isabel of Orleans-Braganza was christened on Saturday, at the Church of the Imperial Brotherhood of Nossa Senhora da Glória do Outeiro, in Rio de Janeiro, following the tradition stablished in 1819, when the future Queen Maria II of Portugal, daughter of Emperor Pedro I and Empress Leopoldina of Brazil was christened there.

» Mia Isabel Paranaguá Orleans e Bragança é batizada no Outeiro da Glória

Princess Isabel (1846-1921), Princess Imperial and Regent of the Empire of Brazil, after she signed the Golden Law, in 1888, abolishing slavery in Brazil.
Old 08-10-2015, 12:08 PM
Courtier

The Imperial House of Brazil has just released a very beautiful and never seen before picture on its Facebook official page:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.n...00393095_o.jpg

The then Head of the Imperial House of Brazil, Prince Pedro Henrique (1909-1981), with his Princess Consort, born Princess Maria of Bavaria (1914-2011), and their three eldest sons, the then Prince Imperial and now Head of the Imperial House, Prince Luiz (center), Prince Eudes (left) and the now Prince Imperial of Brazil, Prince Bertrand (in the lap of his mother).

The picture was taken in 1941, while the Imperial Family was still exiled in France.

Old 10-15-2015, 07:19 PM
Courtier

Dr. Pablo Trindade de Souza (b. 1 May 1980) [son of Evandro Romeu de Souza and his wife Isis Maria, nee Trindade] & his wife Princess Maria Elisabeth of Orleans-Braganza (b. 1 March 1982) [eldest of the three daughters of Prince Francisco of Orleans-Braganza (b. 1955) and his former wife Princess Claudia Regina, nee Lisboa Martins Godinho] are expecting the birth of their first child, a daughter, sometime this year.

The couple married on 6 August 2011, at the Church de Nossa Senhora da Glória do Outeiro, in Rio de Janeiro.

It's the first grandchild of the maternal grandparents. Their two other daughters, twins Princesses Maria Eleonora and Maria Thereza of Orleans-Braganza (b. 1984), are still unmarried.

Source: Causa Imperial.

https://www.facebook.com/CausaImperi...type=3&theater

Old 10-16-2015, 10:36 AM
Heir Apparent

Congratulations to them!
Old 10-22-2015, 11:49 AM
Courtier

Dr. Jaddo Barbosa Bokel has died yesterday in Rio de Janeiro, at the age of 94.

He was the father of Princess Maritza of Orleans-Braganza, the wife of Prince Alberto, younger brother of Prince Luiz, Head of the Imperial House of Brazil. Prince Alberto and Princess Maritza have four children: Princes Pedro Alberto and Antonio Alberto and Princesses Maria Beatriz and Ana Thereza of Orleans-Braganza.

Dr. Jaddo was married to D. Mariza Bulcão Ribas Bokel for 64 years. Besides Princess Maritza and her family, he lefts to other daughters, designer Mônica Conceição and journalist Marcia Peltier, and their families.

Source: Causa Imperial

Even with Princess Maritza's family being of Brazilian noble descent - they are descendants of Brazil's earliest noble, the Viscount of Torre de Garcia d'Ávila - Prince Alberto had to renounce his rights to the Brazilian Throne when he married her in 1983.

Prince Alberto and Princess Martiza:
https://scontent-gru1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...dd&oe=56C74EFB

Old 10-22-2015, 11:57 AM
Courtier

Imperial Family Of Brazil

Is there a Brazilian nobility in the same sense as in the European meaning of nobility? I've always thought it was more of a gentry kind of social class if you understand what I mean?
I know many families are descended from Portuguese noble families but does that automatically make you a member of the Brazilian nobility?

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 10-22-2015, 12:05 PM
Courtier

The noble titles were not hereditary, but the descendants of the nobles usually incorporated the titles of their ancestors into their surnames (the descendants of the Viscount of Ouro Preto now uses "Ouro Preto" as a surname, for example).

It's still quite easy to identify who descends from a noble here in Brazil, as many of those families are still part of the high society.

All siblings of the Head of the Imperial House who married Brazilian nationals married aristocrats.

Old 10-22-2015, 12:11 PM
Courtier

But to be included in the nobility you have to be of Portuguese noble descent or be descended from people ennobled by the emperors?

Old 10-22-2015, 12:16 PM
Courtier

In the early days of the Empire, many noble were from the Portuguese Nobility, but incorporated into the Brazilian Nobility.

But the majority of the nobles were Brazilians ennobled by the two Emperors and the Princess Imperial Regent.

Old 10-22-2015, 12:19 PM
Courtier

Interesting. Thank you for answering my questions. Could one say that the descendants of marriages between Imperial princes and aristocratic Brazilian ladies are members of the nobility?

Old 10-22-2015, 12:23 PM
Courtier

The children would Princes and Princesses of Orleans-Braganza (as are the children of Prince Alberto and Princess Maritza). But the children of an Imperial Princess and aristocratic gentleman would be regarded as an aristocrat.

It's something like the concept of untitled nobility.

Old 10-22-2015, 12:24 PM
Courtier

Ok but are these Princes of Orléans-Braganza Royal?

Old 10-22-2015, 12:33 PM
Courtier

Yes, they are.

I'll try to make it simple:

There are Princes and Princesses of Brazil and Princes and Princesses of Orleans-Braganza. Every Prince and Princess of Brazil is a Prince or Princess of Orleans-Braganza, but not every Prince or Princess of Orleans-Braganza is a Prince or Princess of Brazil.

The Princes and Princess (by birth) of Brazil all have rights to Throne (including the two children of the Princess of Ligne, but they are not a Prince and Princess of Brazil, because the title only pass through the female line when the mother is the heir presumptive of the Throne).

Prince and Princess of Orleans-Braganza was a title created for the non-dynasts descendants of the Princess Imperial and the Count of Eu, so they would never be considered commoners and would be able to keep intermarrying with other Royal Houses.

Old 10-22-2015, 12:50 PM
Courtier

Yes of course, like the famous Countess of Paris. So a Orléans-Braganza would be considered an equal match for a Prince of Brazil?

Old 10-22-2015, 01:02 PM
Courtier

Yes. That would be an interesting scenario.

The formidable Countess of Paris is a good example. Her brother, Prince Pedro Gastão, married Princess Esperanza of the Two-Sicilies, aunt of King Juan Carlos of Spain, while her sister, Princess Maria Francisca, married the late Duke of Braganza, and was the mother of the current Duke.

Prince Pedro Gastão's daughter, Princess Maria da Glória, was the first wife of Crown Prince Alexander of Serbia and the mother of this three sons.

Princess Anna Luiza of Orleans-Braganza, a niece of the Head of the Imperial House, was regarded as potencial suitable wife for the then Prince of Asturias, now King Felipe VI. And Grand Duchess Charlotte of Luxembourg would have loved if her grandson, Grand Duke Henri, had married one of the Head of the Imperial House 's sisters (although they were Princesses of Brazil as well).

Old 10-22-2015, 03:20 PM
Courtier

Where there any plans for Henri to marry one of the Brazilian girls? I've always thought it was only his mother that was disappointed with his unequal marriage. Never thought about his grandmother (even though I knew she was alive at the time of his marriage)

Old 10-22-2015, 04:45 PM
Courtier

Grand Duchess Charlotte was a friend of Prince Pedro Henrique, then Head of the Imperial House of Brazil, and his wife, born Princess Maria of Bavaria. She even attended their wedding.

Prince Pedro Henrique and Princess Maria's youngest children were twins Princesses Maria Thereza and Maria Gabriela. Both were very desidered by European aristocrats and royals during their youth, because of their looks, lineage and artistic talent.

Grand Duchess Charlotte was keen on the idea of Grand Duke Henri marry one of them, but we all know he fell in love with that beautiful Cuban girl. At least Grand Duchess Charlotte lived to see to of her grandchildren marrying children of Prince Pedro Henrique and Princess Maria: when Prince Michel and Princess Christine of Ligne married Princess Eleonora and Prince Antonio of Brazil, in 1981.

Old 11-30-2015, 10:56 AM
Courtier

Dr. Pablo Trindade de Souza (b. 1 May 1980) [son of Evandro Romeu de Souza and his wife Isis Maria, nee Trindade] & his wife Princess Maria Elisabeth of Orleans-Braganza (b. 1 March 1982) [eldest of the three daughters of Prince Francisco of Orleans-Braganza (b. 1955) and his former wife Princess Claudia Regina, nee Lisboa Martins Godinho] had their first child, a daughter, Maria Isabel de Orleans e Bragança de Souza, yesterday, 29 November 2015, in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.

The couple married on 6 August 2011, at the Church de Nossa Senhora da Glória do Outeiro, in Rio de Janeiro.

It's the first grandchild of the maternal grandparents. Their two other daughters, twins Princesses Maria Eleonora and Maria Thereza of Orleans-Braganza (b. 1984), are still unmarried.

Princess Maria Elisabeth and her daughter are both doing well, assisted by Dr. Pablo and the maternal grandmother, Princess Claudia.

Source: Causa Imperial.

Tags
belgium, brazilian imperial family, ligne, orleans-bragança, petropolis, vassouras