The Hungarian Palatinate branch of the Habsburgs

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dalps09

Gentry
City
Country
Canada
I decided to start a thread about the Hungarian Habsburgs because I couldn't find any informations on other threads (if I'm wrong feel free to delete) about these unknown archdukes/archduchess of Austria. They were the Palatines of Hungary until 1918, I'm not an expert in titles, but I think it was similar to the job of a regent or a viceroy. (A better definition would be welcomed)

They were five Palatines of Hungary starting with Leopold II, Holy Roman Emperor's two sons : Alexander Leopold and Joseph (his brother), followed by Stephan (his son by second wife Hermine of Anhalt-Bernburg-Schaumburg-Hoym -- what a name!), Joseph Karl (his half-brother by Maria Dorothea of Wurttemberg) and Joseph August (his son by Clothilde of Saxe-Coburg-Kohary).

The latter married a Bavarian princess, Auguste, (BTW Franz Joseph and Sissi's granddaughter) with whom he had many children. I think their only child who had issue was Joseph Franz (yeah, another Joseph) who married Anna Monika, a daughter of the last King of Saxony.

And here we are with today's branch of the Habsburgs. The head of the house today is Joseph Franz's son ... Joseph Arpad. He married princess Maria of Lowenstein-Wertheim-Rosenberg. And Maria's sister (don't remember her name -- Christina ??) is married to her husband's youngest brother (don't remember his name either).

Joseph Franz had many children of whom, Géza who's (or was) working for Fabergé. He has a site : Dr. Geza von Habsburg Homepage

If anyone has information (do they attend events or such things) or pictures about them, you can post this here.

I´ve just sent you a long interview in Spanish with Archduchess Monika (née Lowenstein-Wertheim) published last April.
I don´t post the link here as it does not work anymore but fortunately I saved the text.
I hope you enjoy it!

Since Archduke Joseph, the son of Emperor Leopold II, every firstborn son is name Joseph; the last one is born in 1996, if I remember correctly.
Both Archduke Joseph Arpad and his wife Maria and Archduke Michael and his wife Christiana (the sister of Maria) usually attend royal events, mostly liked to the Imperial Family; they were in the Vatican in 2004 for the beatification of Emperor Charles, they attended the wedding of Count and Countess Rodolphe de Limburg-Stirum in December 2008, as well as the requiem for Archduke Carl Ludwig in Belgium in January 2008; I guess they also attended the wedding of the Dukes of Vendome.

well not quite my old chum, i am assuming you are talking abt archduke joseph 1776-1847, for his first born son was stephen 1817-1867 , later palatine of hungary, he is his son by his second wife (his first wife only bore a dau) . then his first son by his third wife was alexander 1825-1837. his second son by his third wife was joseph 1833-1905 and as you have said every first born son is named joseph there after !!!;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ricardo Mateos Sainz de Medrano wrote about this line of the Habsburgs on his biography of Queen Maria Cristina of Spain. About the protestant princesses who entered the House at the beginning of 19th century. I can post here some extracts from the book later.
Princess Pia Maria of Orleans Bragança, Countess of Nicolay, in her private memoirs mentions a visit to this family in Budapest in the 1930s. It was very funny, Sissi´s grand-daughter was like her grand-mother, obsessed with keeping fit. I´ll take a look at this book later too, ok?

do you really think so???

Yes, he married her and hab the following issue:
Josef Franz (1895 - 1957) m. Anna Monika Pia of Saxony (1903 - 1976) and had issue :

1. Margarethe (1925 - 1979) married & divorced Alexander Erba Odescalchi Prince di Monteleone; (1914 -2008)

2. Ilona (1927 - ) married & divorced Georg Alexander Duke of Mecklenburg (1921 - 1996)

3. Anna Theresia Gabrielle (1928 -1984)

4. Joseph Arpád (1933 - ) Maria zu Löwenstein-Wertheim-Rosenberg (1935 -)

5. István (1934 -) Married morganatically, with issue

6. Maria Kynga (1938 -) married twice (issue?)

7. Géza (1940 - ) married twice morganatically, with issue

8. Michael (1942 - ) Christina zu Löwenstein-Wertheim-Rosenberg (1940-)

Yes, he married her and hab the following issue:
Josef Franz (1895 - 1957) m. Anna Monika Pia of Saxony (1903 - 1976) and had issue :
)

I know the genealogy, what I meant is few people believe Princess Monika of Saxony was the daughter of the King, rather the daughter of the belgian tutor of the other children

hi, Dalps09
yes, you are correct !!.
the names you can not remember is as follows
christiana b 1940
michael b 1942
they married in 1966 and have the following children
eduerd karl b 1967
paul rudolph b 1968
margherita b 1972........

well not quite my old chum, i am assuming you are talking abt archduke joseph 1776-1847, for his first born son was stephen 1817-1867 , later palatine of hungary, he is his son by his second wife (his first wife only bore a dau) . then his first son by his third wife was alexander 1825-1837. his second son by his third wife was joseph 1833-1905 and as you have said every first born son is named joseph there after !!!;)
Yes, you're right, I've forgotten Archduke Stephan Viktor...

I know the genealogy, what I meant is few people believe Princess Monika of Saxony was the daughter of the King, rather the daughter of the belgian tutor of the other children

Sorry, I misunderstood! Well yes, there were rumors about her being the daughter of André Giron...But I wasn't there at that time so I assume that she was Frederick Augustus' daughter. I read somewhere that a doctor went to see baby Anna Monika to bring her back to Dresden and stated that she had the same fair complexion as her [legal] father.

Btw. in Poland we can say that we have our Habsburgs too in Żywiec.

It would be great if someone could start a thread about them! They were the from the Teschen branch, no?

It is because of Archduke Joseph married 3 times to non Catholic that there is a rule about every princess who married to the Habsburg family has to be Catholic.

The emperor said "I hope your third wife live a long life or your fourth wife would be Jewish," during his wedding to Maria Dorothea :).

This branch is closely related to the Belgian royal family via Princess Maria of Löwenstein-Rosenberg (1935-2018)

Back
Top Bottom