The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-27-2009, 04:08 PM
Gentry

The Hungarian Palatinate branch of the Habsburgs

I decided to start a thread about the Hungarian Habsburgs because I couldn't find any informations on other threads (if I'm wrong feel free to delete) about these unknown archdukes/archduchess of Austria. They were the Palatines of Hungary until 1918, I'm not an expert in titles, but I think it was similar to the job of a regent or a viceroy. (A better definition would be welcomed)

They were five Palatines of Hungary starting with Leopold II, Holy Roman Emperor's two sons : Alexander Leopold and Joseph (his brother), followed by Stephan (his son by second wife Hermine of Anhalt-Bernburg-Schaumburg-Hoym -- what a name!), Joseph Karl (his half-brother by Maria Dorothea of Wurttemberg) and Joseph August (his son by Clothilde of Saxe-Coburg-Kohary).

The latter married a Bavarian princess, Auguste, (BTW Franz Joseph and Sissi's granddaughter) with whom he had many children. I think their only child who had issue was Joseph Franz (yeah, another Joseph) who married Anna Monika, a daughter of the last King of Saxony.

And here we are with today's branch of the Habsburgs. The head of the house today is Joseph Franz's son ... Joseph Arpad. He married princess Maria of Lowenstein-Wertheim-Rosenberg. And Maria's sister (don't remember her name -- Christina ??) is married to her husband's youngest brother (don't remember his name either).

Joseph Franz had many children of whom, Géza who's (or was) working for Fabergé. He has a site : Dr. Geza von Habsburg Homepage

If anyone has information (do they attend events or such things) or pictures about them, you can post this here.

Old 06-27-2009, 06:57 PM
Aristocracy

I´ve just sent you a long interview in Spanish with Archduchess Monika (née Lowenstein-Wertheim) published last April.
I don´t post the link here as it does not work anymore but fortunately I saved the text.
I hope you enjoy it!

Old 06-27-2009, 07:09 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Since Archduke Joseph, the son of Emperor Leopold II, every firstborn son is name Joseph; the last one is born in 1996, if I remember correctly.
Both Archduke Joseph Arpad and his wife Maria and Archduke Michael and his wife Christiana (the sister of Maria) usually attend royal events, mostly liked to the Imperial Family; they were in the Vatican in 2004 for the beatification of Emperor Charles, they attended the wedding of Count and Countess Rodolphe de Limburg-Stirum in December 2008, as well as the requiem for Archduke Carl Ludwig in Belgium in January 2008; I guess they also attended the wedding of the Dukes of Vendome.
Old 06-27-2009, 07:41 PM
Nobility

Thumbs down

well not quite my old chum, i am assuming you are talking abt archduke joseph 1776-1847, for his first born son was stephen 1817-1867 , later palatine of hungary, he is his son by his second wife (his first wife only bore a dau) . then his first son by his third wife was alexander 1825-1837. his second son by his third wife was joseph 1833-1905 and as you have said every first born son is named joseph there after !!!
Old 06-28-2009, 08:43 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalps09 View Post
who married Anna Monika, a daughter of the last King of Saxony.
do you really think so???
Old 06-28-2009, 08:49 AM
Aristocracy

Ricardo Mateos Sainz de Medrano wrote about this line of the Habsburgs on his biography of Queen Maria Cristina of Spain. About the protestant princesses who entered the House at the beginning of 19th century. I can post here some extracts from the book later.
Princess Pia Maria of Orleans Bragança, Countess of Nicolay, in her private memoirs mentions a visit to this family in Budapest in the 1930s. It was very funny, Sissi´s grand-daughter was like her grand-mother, obsessed with keeping fit. I´ll take a look at this book later too, ok?
Old 06-28-2009, 09:46 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberto2244 View Post
do you really think so???
Yes, he married her and hab the following issue:
Josef Franz (1895 - 1957) m. Anna Monika Pia of Saxony (1903 - 1976) and had issue :

1. Margarethe (1925 - 1979) married & divorced Alexander Erba Odescalchi Prince di Monteleone; (1914 -2008)

2. Ilona (1927 - ) married & divorced Georg Alexander Duke of Mecklenburg (1921 - 1996)

3. Anna Theresia Gabrielle (1928 -1984)

4. Joseph Arpád (1933 - ) Maria zu Löwenstein-Wertheim-Rosenberg (1935 -)

5. István (1934 -) Married morganatically, with issue

6. Maria Kynga (1938 -) married twice (issue?)

7. Géza (1940 - ) married twice morganatically, with issue

8. Michael (1942 - ) Christina zu Löwenstein-Wertheim-Rosenberg (1940-)
Old 06-28-2009, 10:00 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Yes, he married her and hab the following issue:
Josef Franz (1895 - 1957) m. Anna Monika Pia of Saxony (1903 - 1976) and had issue :
)
I know the genealogy, what I meant is few people believe Princess Monika of Saxony was the daughter of the King, rather the daughter of the belgian tutor of the other children
Old 06-28-2009, 10:31 AM
Nobility

hi, Dalps09
yes, you are correct !!.
the names you can not remember is as follows
christiana b 1940
michael b 1942
they married in 1966 and have the following children
eduerd karl b 1967
paul rudolph b 1968
margherita b 1972........
Old 06-28-2009, 10:58 AM
Heir Apparent

Since Joseph - Josef's father Joseph von Habsburg-Lothringen

Btw. in Poland we can say that we have our Habsburgs too in Żywiec.
Old 06-28-2009, 05:23 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnydep View Post
well not quite my old chum, i am assuming you are talking abt archduke joseph 1776-1847, for his first born son was stephen 1817-1867 , later palatine of hungary, he is his son by his second wife (his first wife only bore a dau) . then his first son by his third wife was alexander 1825-1837. his second son by his third wife was joseph 1833-1905 and as you have said every first born son is named joseph there after !!!
Yes, you're right, I've forgotten Archduke Stephan Viktor...
Old 06-29-2009, 10:33 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberto2244 View Post
I know the genealogy, what I meant is few people believe Princess Monika of Saxony was the daughter of the King, rather the daughter of the belgian tutor of the other children
Sorry, I misunderstood! Well yes, there were rumors about her being the daughter of André Giron...But I wasn't there at that time so I assume that she was Frederick Augustus' daughter. I read somewhere that a doctor went to see baby Anna Monika to bring her back to Dresden and stated that she had the same fair complexion as her [legal] father.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:37 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnik View Post

Btw. in Poland we can say that we have our Habsburgs too in Żywiec.
It would be great if someone could start a thread about them! They were the from the Teschen branch, no?
Old 06-29-2009, 12:28 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
It would be great if someone could start a thread about them! They were the from the Teschen branch, no?
you´ll find DETAILED information on the Polish Habsburgs in the book published last year "The Red Prince: The Secret Lives of a Habsburg Archduke".
Amazon.com: The Red Prince: The Secret Lives of a Habsburg Archduke: Timothy Snyder: Books
Old 06-30-2012, 06:36 AM
Commoner

It is because of Archduke Joseph married 3 times to non Catholic that there is a rule about every princess who married to the Habsburg family has to be Catholic.

The emperor said "I hope your third wife live a long life or your fourth wife would be Jewish," during his wedding to Maria Dorothea .

Tags
austria, hungary, palatine