The Habsburg Court: Etiquette and Entertainment

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sir Gino

City
San Pedro
Country
United States
The Spanish [Habsburg] Court Etiquette

Hi. I am looking for something specifically regarding the rules and etiquette of the Spanish Court (the Spanish Etiquette) which Charles V (I believe) formalized and were observed so fastidiously by the Habsburgs (starting with Ferdinand I). Forgive me, if I am getting the details muddled. Obviously, both the Spanish and Viennese courts were Habsburg. Do you know if a manual or written history of the rules exist? Were they ever written down? Is there a reprint of it available somewhere. I thought this would be easy to find, but, shockingly, I have thus far found very little and would appreciate any guidance you might provide. I'm probably not using the correct search terms. Perhaps, I might find a reprint of the rules in a thick volume of Habsburh history, but I don't know where to begin. Thanks again.

Best Wishes,

Sir Gino

Last edited by a moderator:
What a very interesting question/interest, Sir Gino.

The Habsburgs are my favourite royal family. I'm afraid I have not yet come across any publication that specifically deals with their etiquette although I have read/know bits of their etiquette from various sources, like the fact that the Spanish Habsburgs were more formal than their Austrian relations.

If you have any specific questions, I know people (among them historians) who might be able to answer your concerns. You may send me a private message about it and I'll direct your questions to them. What century/period of Spanish etiquette are you interested in, from Emperor Charles V up until the period of King Charles II or until the Spanish Bourbons (who mainly retained the old etiquette from the Habsburgs)?

Also, the Spanish archives surely have details on this matter....

Last edited:
It's surely easier for you if you try the German term for it on google and then read the translated articles, if you don't speak German. "Spanisches Hofzeremoniell".

It was a topic regularily discussed at Court because all the time questions came up about Precedence or Order of Placement at the Royal table for State Banquets etc. I found an article which deals with the topic, it's by an historian written for a scientific conferences, thus the sources in the paper should be reliable.

I saw on a short glimpse that some sources are in English, so this might help you finding the correct terms for which to search a Goggle scholar.

http://www.wsg-hist.uni-linz.ac.at/historicum/Graue-Reihe/Graue Reihe 38.pdf

Hope this helps.:flowers:

Here's a book in English regarding the etiquette in the courts of Vienna and Versailles, which should be a good reference on the Spanish etiquette.

Vienna and Versailles: the courts of ... - Google Books

Also, in German:

""Spanisches Österreich" by Xavier Sellés-Ferrando might be useful.

Do you wish some titles in Spanish (quite hard to find, according to my friend)?

Last edited:
In addition, it seems that the Habsburgs themselves didn't put any of their etiquette/ceremonial in writing. It was all handed by tradition and taught to the archdukes and archduchesses as they grew up.

Marie Louise of Orleans (1662-1689) was the first Queen Consort of King Charles II of Spain.
She had a very lonely existence at the Spanish Court.
The etiquette of the Spanish Court was confining that touching the Queen was forbidden.

What were the traditions of the Habsburg court in Vienna?

Emperor Franz Joseph I's master of etiquette enforced the protocol on Sophie Chotek, the spouse of Archduke Franz Ferdinand. Sophie was not raised to royal status. Sophie had to stand with the ladies-in-waiting at receptions and sit in a separate box in the opera.

An analogous procedure took place with the ladies at the Imperial Court of Austria. The wives of the ambassadors and senior court officials were received by the Empress in person. The other aristocratic ladies had to present themselves to the head of the Empress' Court household.

I wish to see Archdiuke Karl the Head of the House wearing the Golden Austrian Golden Fleece Order from whom he is the Grand Master and his new wife wearing the Starry Cross the first wife never received.

An analogous procedure took place with the ladies at the Imperial Court of Austria. The wives of the ambassadors and senior court officials were received by the Empress in person

This is actually a good custom in my humble opinion, the thingy with the reception of the ambassadors spouses by the Empress!

Because I can imagine, that they followed the ambassadors to public events like balls and receptions - so, they were part of the "networking activities". Not unimportant!

The Blue Danube is a waltz by the Austrian composer Johann Strauss II composed in 1866.

The moment the music starts I'm there but what comes to mind is Disney's Fantasia movie.

Back
Top Bottom