The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-20-2012, 12:50 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory
Archduke Karl never speaks about a possible Restoration?
No! Not even his father the Late AD Otto were thinking of it so why should Karl ? ??? Funny that several posters here cant accept the fact that there is not even the slightest wish for a reinstallment of the monarchy in Austria.

Old 05-20-2012, 01:18 PM
Heir Apparent

If a country has a successful functioning republic why would it was to restore a monarchy that went out of business almost 100 years ago? Few people alive would even remember it, and not necessarily would they remember it fondly.

Old 05-20-2012, 01:34 PM
Courtier

Quote:
If a country has a successful functioning republic why would it was to restore a monarchy that went out of business almost 100 years ago? Few people alive would even remember it, and not necessarily would they remember it fondly.
Thank you NGalitzine that is exactly the way it is here in Austria. Especially the younger generation doesn't even know that Austria was once a huge monarchy, the older generation doesn't simply care and is happy that the 2nd Austrian Republic works successfully after the disastrous 1st Republic and the few ones still alive don't remember the last days of the monarchy fondly and are glad that these tumultous last years of a dysfunctional monarchy are in the past.
Old 05-26-2012, 06:30 PM
Commoner

I am from Austria and I don't see any possibility for restoration of the monarchy.
Otto von Habsburg was in EU parliament, he was educated and very intelligent but his sons are not like him.
The eldest (not even know his name) hit the headliness in connection with a scandal of missabused money from the aid agency World Vision, otherwise I never see him in the media.
Old 05-26-2012, 06:34 PM
Heir Apparent

I remember seeing a picture of Otto von Hapsburg and his sons in a ROYALTY magazine a long time ago. I remember mentioning to my husband at the time that I thought that the sons looked "odd." I hadn't heard about the misappropriation of funds from World Vision. That was a despicable thing to do. Is that the same son who's separated or divorced from his wife--Francesca? I don't follow this family closely, and so I'm not clear on many details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Smurfness View Post
The eldest (not even know his name) hit the headliness in connection with a scandal of missabused money from the aid agency World Vision, otherwise I never see him in the media.
Old 05-26-2012, 06:49 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
Is that the same son who's separated or divorced from his wife--Francesca?
Yes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
I don't follow this family closely, and so I'm not clear on many details.
Neighter do I.
In Austria we have no great interest in this family.
Old 05-26-2012, 07:01 PM
Courtier

It is Karl who is separated from his wife Francesca, Georg the younger son is married to Eilika of Oldenburg and lives in Hungary. Let's just say in this case it's the daughters who take after their father as far as intelligence is concerned .....
Old 06-19-2012, 09:11 PM
Commoner

If the crown prince was still alive, RIP, maybe there was a chance but I think that now that he has passed away, the likely hood of the crown going to Karl is very unlikely. If they did bring back the monarchy they should offer it to a member of a reigning house, because the job of emperor is something that a person who has been royal and lived a proper life of service could take and people would know and trust them better.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:05 AM
Courtier

Nobody in Austria will offer anybody the Imperial Crown. Not to Otto even when he was still alive because he renounced his claim to the throne in 1961 not to Karl and certainly not to any other foreign royal. Because there is no wish to return to a monarchy in Austria, not even the slightest. The land is a Republic since 1918 and will remain one. The majority of the Austrian population does not even know that we were a monarchy once ... so please let this topic once and for all rest in peace !!!
Old 06-21-2012, 02:10 PM
Royal Highness

Austria surely is not longer big enough to qualify in any way as an "empire", so the whole world would laugh about the idea - not only the Austrians themselves. Plus in a country that lives from the hope that through ducation and hard work anyone can become someone important there is neither need nor wish for heirediary top positions within the state. But I wouldn't say that the majority of Austrians haven't heard of their Imperial past, when so much of the culture is connected to the fact that Austria used to have a monarchy once. Think alone of the "Kaiserschmarrn"...
Old 06-21-2012, 03:46 PM
Courtier

Believe me the grand majority does know nothing about the monarchy except for Franz Joseph and Elisabeth :-)
Old 06-21-2012, 03:53 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit View Post
Believe me the grand majority does know nothing about the monarchy except for Franz Joseph and Elisabeth :-)
I believe you're right but at least they know these two....Maybe it would have been a difference if a son of Franz Joseph and Elisabeth was emperor in 1918....
Old 06-21-2012, 04:04 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
I believe you're right but at least they know these two....Maybe it would have been a difference if a son of Franz Joseph and Elisabeth was emperor in 1918....
They know them because of Romy Schneider and Karlheinz Böhm

If a son or grandson would have been Emperor ... I don't know if it would have made a difference. Remember Rudolf was already dead and only had a daughter.

One thing is certain: if FJ would still have been alive in 1918 Austria would have remained a - albeit much smaller - monarchy.
Dr. Karl Renner (chancellor in the 1.Republic, president in the 2.Republic) once said: "we wouldn't have had the courage to do it (to abolish the monarchy) under FJ."
The rest is pure speculation ..... .
Old 06-26-2012, 06:47 PM
Heir Presumptive

Archduke Paul George would be more accepted by the Austrians than his elder brother?
Old 06-27-2012, 07:48 PM
Courtier

If you ask Austrians if they know who AD Georg is they will most certainly say they have never heard of him. There is just no interest in a reinstallment of a monarchy here in Austria so nobody cares about the Habsburgs. Karl is just known because of a very short-lived and unsuccessful TV career, a World Vision donation scandal in which he is was involved and an unsuccessful political career. His father was of course known and after he renounced any claims to a reinstallment of the monarchy in 1961 he was at least accepted in Austria. Especially because of his political work in the European Parliament and for the outstanding man he was. That he was also the last crown-prince was not so much of interest for the Austrian people.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:04 AM
Nobility

Monarchisten-Partei: "Es gibt uns wieder" - Kleinparteien - derStandard.at
Old 07-21-2013, 12:11 PM
Heir Presumptive

It is rather strange the Austrians seem to forget that the Habsburgs built all their history in the last seven centuries.
Old 07-21-2013, 12:21 PM
Heir Apparent

^^^^
Well they have had almost 100 years to move on with their lives and make a new history for Austria. Besides their history under the Habsburgs was not all wine and roses.
Old 07-21-2013, 12:33 PM
Courtier

It is exactly as NGalitzine says. That is the way it is. After 1945 the country became a republic. And even during the reign of FJ I. people were not terribly fond of him despite all the nostalgic Sissi-movies.
Old 07-21-2013, 03:57 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
^^^^
Well they have had almost 100 years to move on with their lives and make a new history for Austria. Besides their history under the Habsburgs was not all wine and roses.
Nobody said that all was good but Cory has a point in Austria often forgetting about their Habsburg history. The family has done a lot for the country but there probably isn't any other country in the European world that de-values their former reigning family as much as Austria does. The thing is that you can't cut a history off in any point in time that you would like to prefer and start all over again. Habsburg will always be part of Austria's history and frankly it is a part that brings in many tourists and a lot of money.

Just to be clear, I'm not advocating for restoration or anything along those lines. (It seems that most of the Habsburg's moved on a long time ago and have made successful livings for themselves.) But the Austrian state should value them and give them back what belonged to their ancestors - I don't even mean the castles or any really valuable property but family photo albums, personal items, letters and such - or take care of it and not sell them off at every chance they get.