The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-20-2011, 10:36 AM
Heir Presumptive

Le's hope young Ferdinand will be more popular than his father.

Old 07-28-2011, 04:07 PM
Administrator

The lengthy discussion which spun out from the topic of an Austrian restoration has been moved to a new thread in Members' Corner:
Austria, the Anschluss and WWII

Old 07-28-2011, 05:02 PM
Heir Presumptive

No political party in Austria is in favour of Monarchy?Any royalist Associations?
Old 12-31-2011, 12:32 AM
Aristocracy

Yes it's the biggest monarchist party in Austria it is called the SGA. I think since the death of the Crown prince the party has been able to get more attention and more popular with the people. There is something about seeing a monarchs funeral that people admire. Especially in a country like Austria where they have not had a monarchy since 1918.
Old 01-05-2012, 01:02 AM

I find it difficult that Austria would accept the Habsburgs as their Arch-ducal/Imperial/Royal Dynasty again. I'm not saying its impossible, they have greater chances than any of the French Claimants IMHO, but the first step would be to repeal the Habsburg Laws and return some of the Family's property before any serious debate would even occur in Austria about returning to the days of the Archduchy/Empire/Kingdom whatever its to be called.

The Problem with the repeal of the Habsburg Laws would be the decision of what exactly would be returned. Especially since the Austrian President resides in the Hofburg Palace and parts of it is used as a Convention Center and Museums. And by previous statements in this thread, the Habsburgs need some good PR.
Old 01-05-2012, 05:45 PM
Courtier

The thing is the Austrian citizens are quite content with their Republic and there is no longer a connection to the Habsburgs as it was after 1918. With 1955 when the Austrian government achieved to get the "Staatsvertrag" (state contract which ended the occupation of Austria) the connection to the Habsburgs was lost. There were huge protests in the early 60ies after AD Otto was allowed to enter Austria again (he had by the time renounced his birthright) because many feared he would try to take regain the throne. Austrian history especially in the 20th century is a very complex matter and to explain the Austrian mentality to others is pretty difficult. But the moment Austria was declared free on 5/15/1955 the land and its citizens became a Republic and no longer a clandestine monarchy. The Austrian tourism industry still works with Austria's past a monarchy under Franz Joseph I. and Elisabeth but apart from that the majority of the Austrians don't have any connection at all to the Habsburgs. Most of them don't even know exactly who FJ and Elisabeth were not to mention the fact that the Habsburg family still exists and that AD Otto was the head of it and would have been Emperor.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:10 PM
Courtier

Thank you Kit, a very interesting explanation.

I do have another question for you: I was always taught that [now that Austria is a republic] the Austrian Constitution no longer recognises titles of nobility [although they appear to be used socially]. Is that so?

Thank you

Alex
Old 01-05-2012, 07:30 PM
Courtier

It is indeed so. The nobility and their titles ceased to exist in Austria in 1919. So AD Otto was just Dr. Otto Habsburg-Lothringen in Austria and his son Karl is just Karl Habsburg-Lothringen. Nevertheless within certain circles titles are still used when people are adressing each other.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:40 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes, the use of titles and even "Von" is not allowed in Austria. It was mentioned at the time of Ottos funeral how strict the Austrian media were in calling him Dr Otto Habsburg. Austria differs from Germany where titles are incorporated into peoples names.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:33 PM
Nobility

I thought the journalist said "Von Habsburg" one time during the funeral and had to make public excuses... That's so exaggerated!

Queen Mathilde
Old 01-06-2012, 03:55 PM
Courtier

Well that's the way it is ;-)
Old 01-06-2012, 04:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

Austria will remain a Republic.
One of the highlights of Archduke Otto’s Funerals was the Kaiser hymn when the President of the Republic attended.
It was an exceptionnel Event for a exceptional Man!
Old 01-07-2012, 06:00 AM
Heir Presumptive

Only a prophet could know the future.
Old 01-07-2012, 04:01 PM
Courtier

@Cory: maria-olivia is right. Austria will remain a Republic. I have already explained in my post above that there is no longer a connection to the Habsburgs as far as the Austrian citizens are concerned. They are simply not interested in them and the majority of the Austrian people doesn't even know that the monarchy didn't end with Franz Joseph who while he was alive was not even that popular with the people the movies would like to make us believe. And I really am somewhat astonished that several posters in this forum still can not believe and/or accept the fact that Austria is a Republic and there is no wish at all to change that by the Austrian people.
Old 01-07-2012, 04:39 PM
Commoner

As an American who's interested in European Royalty, I went to Vienna with the expectation of visiting Mayerling. I told one of the maids in my hotel that I was going out to Mayerling that day, and she didn't know what I was talking about. I gave a brief explanation of the situation, and she just frowned and shrugged. She said she'd never heard anything like that. I recently read that Otto's successor Karl and his wife, Francesca von Tyssen have separated. What a shame.
Old 01-07-2012, 04:41 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit View Post
It is indeed so. The nobility and their titles ceased to exist in Austria in 1919. So AD Otto was just Dr. Otto Habsburg-Lothringen in Austria and his son Karl is just Karl Habsburg-Lothringen. Nevertheless within certain circles titles are still used when people are adressing each other.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
Yes, the use of titles and even "Von" is not allowed in Austria. It was mentioned at the time of Ottos funeral how strict the Austrian media were in calling him Dr Otto Habsburg. Austria differs from Germany where titles are incorporated into peoples names.
That you so much Kit and NGalitzine. When I was working full time [in the Civil Service] we had a book [actually, it should more accurately be called an 'office manual'] which formed the basis of our training on 'correct form and modes of address etc' and this stated exactly what you and NGalitzine have said about Austrian and German titles respectively. I don't want to take this thread too off-topic, but it was why we were taught that Princess Michael of Kent had no legal basis in either Austria or Germany to call herself Baroness Marie-Christine von Reibnitz [ there was always some discussion as to whether hers was either an Austrian or a German title because of the way that Silesia had 'moved around' etc]

Anyway, thank you both again for your confirmation.

Alex
Old 01-17-2012, 12:42 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diarist View Post
I don't want to take this thread too off-topic, but it was why we were taught that Princess Michael of Kent had no legal basis in either Austria or Germany to call herself Baroness Marie-Christine von Reibnitz [ there was always some discussion as to whether hers was either an Austrian or a German title because of the way that Silesia had 'moved around' etc]

Anyway, thank you both again for your confirmation.

Alex
It depends if Princess Michael had a German or Austrian passport. It is true that she wouldn't have been Baroness Marie-Christine von Reibnitz in any case, but as a German citizen she could have used the name Marie Christine Baronin von Reibnitz (female form of Baron is Baronin, no matter if the wife or the daughter of a baron).

A lot of families from Tyrolia who had possessions in Bavaria moved to Germany after 1918 and took on German citizenship in order to keep their title but relocated to Austria after WWII, keeping the German version of their name including the title...
Old 05-18-2012, 10:47 PM
Aristocracy

Does anyone know of a statistic for people in favor in austria for a monarchy?
Old 05-19-2012, 08:10 PM
Courtier

none that I am aware of. there isn't even the slightest interest for a pro-monarchy survey let alone a reinstallment of said monarchy.
Old 05-20-2012, 10:53 AM
Heir Presumptive

Archduke Karl never speaks about a possible Restoration?