Princess Sophie of Bavaria, Archduchess of Austria, mother of Franz Josef (1805-1872)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anne-fan

Gentry
City
Heidelberg
Country
Germany
I am surprised that I couldn't find a threat about Sophie.
After all she was an impressive woman IMO. She made her husband leave the throne to their son and she was definitly one of the most powerful persons in Austria during that time. Well, she had problems with Sissi, so what? Many mothers have problems with their daughters in law :p

What do you think about her?

Sophie of Bavaria was indeed a strong and capable woman who deserved recognition and praise. I also admire her for her strong devotion to her family, including her grandchildren. I seem to remember that she wasn't pleased to be married to her husband at first but she made the best of her situation. I think she was indeed the power behind the throne until a few years before her death (or at least until her favorite son Maximilian was executed). She had some silly ideas and indeed made life harder for her immature niece and daughter in law Sisi but overall I think she meant well and had no malice (Sisi seemed to think so).

Poor Emperor Francis Joseph was caught between his mother and his wife, both of whom he loved dearly. I admit I don't find Sisi's behavior all that good.... she strikes me as a very self-centered woman, even in her late adult years. But I guess I could excuse her on the grounds of having the Wittelsbach strain in her temperament.......

I didn't know that she wasn't fond of marring her husband...
But I also don't think that she was a malice. In those times it wasn't unusually that grandparents raised the children. Especially when the parents had to rule an Empire. And anyway, Sisi was a sick woman (in a physical way), it would have probably been all too much. Although I wouldn't like the idea as well of someone taken my like baby away from me. Still, Sophie only acted as she thought it to be right.
Yes, poor Franz. But I guess he behaved quite well in his position.

Wasn't it said she was in love or at least very fond of the duke of Reichstadt (who was 6 years younger than her). Or am I mixing up some stories here (since simular things were said about another Sophie: Queen Sophie of The Netherlands, née princess of Württemberg)?

Wasn't it said she was in love or at least very fond of the duke of Reichstadt (who was 6 years younger than her). Or am I mixing up some stories here (since simular things were said about another Sophie: Queen Sophie of The Netherlands, née princess of Württemberg)?

No, you are not mixing up some stories. It was said that Sophie turned cold and ambitious after the duke of Reichstadt's death. I didn't know about Sophie of Württemberg except that she wanted to marry Duke William of Brunswick.

I don't have Queen Sophie's memoires here, but I believe in her case it was more something of an (early) teenage crush, possibly more related to his story than anything else. She later claimed that she wanted to marry the duke of Brunswick indeed (suggested by King WIlliam IV of the UK), but he turned cold as soon that he knew that the Dutch court tried push for an engagement with the future Willem III. Of course if she really regretted it at the moment of engagement is not too sure, when she wrote her memoires the Queen was embittered and self pitying, so that may have tainted her memory a bit. Another possibility was the duke of Orleans, but the Russian Tsar objected to such a marriage for his niece.

Through her life she stayed close to her Bonaparte cousins Mathilde and Plon-Plon and develloped a friendship with Napoleon III and his wife.

I don't have Queen Sophie's memoires here, but I believe in her case it was more something of an (early) teenage crush, possibly more related to his story than anything else. She later claimed that she wanted to marry the duke of Brunswick indeed (suggested by King WIlliam IV of the UK), but he turned cold as soon that he knew that the Dutch court tried push for an engagement with the future Willem III. Of course if she really regretted it at the moment of engagement is not too sure, when she wrote her memoires the Queen was embittered and self pitying, so that may have tainted her memory a bit. Another possibility was the duke of Orleans, but the Russian Tsar objected to such a marriage for his niece.

Through her life she stayed close to her Bonaparte cousins Mathilde and Plon-Plon and develloped a friendship with Napoleon III and his wife.

Thank you for the story :flowers:. Could you tell me what is the title of Queen Sophie's memoir(es)? Help would be much appreciated. I always wanted to know the story of Queen Sophie :).

Last edited:
Empress Elisabeth's first daughter was born in 1855. Archduchess Sophie named the child Sophie after herself. Do you not think Archduchess Sophie should have let Franz Joseph and Elisabeth pick out the names for their own daughter?

:previous: It wasn't that uncommon in those days for someone else to name the baby. Usually it would have been the sovereign/patriarch. Sophie was over bearing though and its little surprise she would choose the name. She took the kids away from Elisabeth saying she was too young to raise her daughters, and Elisabeth could only see them with permission. For that reason she was only ever really close to one child, her youngest Valerie. Unlike her three eldest, Valerie was never taken away from Elisabeth, and she doted on her.

Did Empress Elisabeth personally select the name of Marie Valerie for Archduchess Valerie? Or did Archduchess Sophie have a decision in the name choice?

It was Elisabeth, because iirc the choice of Valerie was quite a surprise to the court, and you know how Elisabeth always liked it a bit different.

Do you think that Emperor Franz Joseph's mother Archduchess Sophie ever wished she had been Empress of Austria?

Do you think that Emperor Franz Joseph's mother Archduchess Sophie ever wished she had been Empress of Austria?

I think for all practical purposes she WAS empress in the early years of Franz Joseph's reign. Did she wish it to continue? Probably. IMO, this is part of what she held against Sissi, that she felt usurped.

Good news! Netflix made a new production based on this story:

The Empress

This is related to the above historical characters and the news on the new series Sisi, that will be dramatized by Netflix.
this link is for the channel El Mito de Gala that talks about royals and many details and anecdotes that are interesting. Unfortunately, the channel is only in Spanish and the subtitle Settings icon only has Spanish available. Still, you can see many rare paintings and photos as the video runs:

Information on Sisi before viewing the Netflix Series

This other channel is in English Empress Sisi – The 19th Century Princess Diana

Above is from https://www.youtube.com/c/Biographics

Last edited by a moderator:
Archduchess Sophie of Austria around 1860

Back
Top Bottom