Prince Eugene of Savoy (1663-1736); General and Statesman of the Holy Roman Empire

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HereditaryPrincess

Imperial Majesty
City
London
Country
United Kingdom
I couldn't find a thread about Prince Eugene so I decided to create one. I wasn't sure whether to post this here or in the sub forum about the Italian RF, as he was a Prince of Savoy which is Italian, though he spent much of his time in Austria as the general and statesman of the Holy Roman Empire and is very well known there. However, if this thread is in the incorrect place, please feel free to move it.

I was unaware of Prince Eugene until I visited the Belvedere Palace in Austria (it is mostly art galleries now but some of the Palace decor still remains). He was the son of Eugene Maurice, Count of Soissons and his wife, Olympia Mancini. His father also held the title of Prince of Savoy and Prince Eugene is a descendant of Philip II of Spain (which would mean that he was related to the Habsburgs). He grew up in the court of Louis XIV of France, though he later became one of the most successful military commanders in the history of Europe. According to Wikipedia he fought in fourteen battles, five wars and two sieges. You can read more about him here:

Prince Eugene of Savoy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Winterpalais was built by Prince Eugene of Savoy.

Back
Top Bottom