Imperial House of Habsburg 2: June 2007-

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vincent Meylan wrote of its Instagram this :
On 1st of November 1918 ,asked from Emperor Karl, Count Berthold removed private jewels from the Vitrine 13 and packed them in 2 leather bags.
This in important to me to know if it was to pay someone in Hungarien to keep their Throne. It seems to be Empress Zita intention. But it failed
A few years later ther last Emperor died in a cold Summer House in Madeira without any money...

As far as I understand, Austria and even Bohemia, which was not German-speaking, were part of the so-called German Confederation up to the war between Austria and Prussia in 1866. After the war, the Confederation was dissolved. The Austrian Empire, no longer considered part of Germany then, joined with the Kingdom of Hungary in 1867 to form the Austro-Hungarian dual monarchy.

In comparison to the post-1971 German Empire, Austria-Hungary was a more decentralized state. For example, there was no common citizenship and citizens actually had separate Austrian or Hungarian passports. Similarly, there was no "federal" parliament above the Imperial Council of Austria and the Diet of Hungary. One of the major sources of tension was that , unlike the Hungarians, several non-German ethnic groups within the Empire, like the Czechs for example, had only limited autonomy and were constitutionally under the rule of the central Austrian government.

Till the ethnic cleaning after WWII Bohemia was a dual language country. The officials spoke German and the people spoke either German or Czech´, depending of where they descended. Educated people spoke both languages. Since WWII Czech is the language of the country.

Thank you so much Pranter, Stefan, Kataryn, and Mbruno. This is going to clear up a lot for me.

As far as I understand, Austria and even Bohemia, which was not German-speaking, were part of the so-called German Confederation up to the war between Austria and Prussia in 1866. After the war, the Confederation was dissolved. The Austrian Empire, no longer considered part of Germany then, joined with the Kingdom of Hungary in 1867 to form the Austro-Hungarian dual monarchy.

In comparison to the post-1971 German Empire, Austria-Hungary was a more decentralized state. For example, there was no common citizenship and citizens actually had separate Austrian or Hungarian passports. Similarly, there was no "federal" parliament above the Imperial Council of Austria and the Diet of Hungary. One of the major sources of tension was that , unlike the Hungarians, several non-German ethnic groups within the Empire, like the Czechs for example, had only limited autonomy and were constitutionally under the rule of the central Austrian government.

Thanks. This I have put in bold above really clears up a lot of my confusion.

1. Prussia was part of the German Empire; Austria was part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. They were two separate sovereign states.
  2. The German Empire was a federation of monarchies, which included several kingdoms, grand duchies, duchies and principalities, each of them with its own ruling royal family. The King of Prussia was, however, also the Emperor of Germany. While each state held some measure of residual powers, certain matters such as foreign relations or monetary policy were under federal jurisdiction. Some of the larger constituent states like the Kingdom of Bavaria or the Kingdom of Saxony mantained their own armed forces, but, in times of war, they were placed effectively under the control of the federal government.
  3. Prussia was the largest constituent state in the German Empire (I believe it accounted for 60 % of the population of the Empire) and, to a large extent, controlled the federal government. As I said, the King of Prussia was always the German Emperor and the prime minister of Prussia was almost always simultaneously the federal chancellor..
  4. Austria-Hungary on the other hand was a dual monarchy where the two main constituent states, i.e. Austria and Hungary, had separate parliaments and separate governments, linked however by a common foreign and military policy under the Emperor-King. Most non-German lands under Habsburg control like Bohemia fpr example were actually under the Austrian government.
I have read this a couple of times and it is making sense. Thanks so much!!

After reading the information that Pranter, Stefan, Kataryn, and Mbruno shared with me regarding Austria, Prussia, and Germany, my interest has been further piqued. Now I want to read a book on German history, specifically one that mostly deals with the 19th century up to WWI. I found German History 1789-1871: From the Holy Roman Empire to the Bismarckian Reich Of course it starts a little before the 19th century, and that is fine, but is does not go as far as I want so I found The German Empire, 1871-1918 which goes through WWI. Does anyone know anything about these books and if they are good reads? If anyone has suggestion of something better, I would greatly appreciate it.

Last edited by a moderator:
After reading the information that Pranter, Stefan, Kataryn, and Mbruno shared with me regarding Austria, Prussia, and Germany, my interest has been further piqued. Now I want to read a book on German history, specifically one that mostly deals with the 19th century up to WWI. I found German History 1789-1871: From the Holy Roman Empire to the Bismarckian Reich Of course it starts a little before the 19th century, and that is fine, but is does not go as far as I want so I found The German Empire, 1871-1918 which goes through WWI. Does anyone know anything about these books and if they are good reads? If anyone has suggestion of something better, I would greatly appreciate it.

The first one sound interesting from the way the chapters are structured. The second one is from a late German historian who changed the way history was researched and taught, so the book was considered a sensation for it's new perspectives, but today it's not longer believed to be truie in a lot of things. Sometimes you fit your subject to your theories and when you do too much, then the book is no longer of scientific value.

The first one sound interesting from the way the chapters are structured. The second one is from a late German historian who changed the way history was researched and taught, so the book was considered a sensation for it's new perspectives, but today it's not longer believed to be truie in a lot of things. Sometimes you fit your subject to your theories and when you do too much, then the book is no longer of scientific value.

Thank you. I will stay away from the second one. I just found another one that starts after the Holy Roman Empire: Austria, Prussia and Germany, 1806-1871
I may take a look at it too.

Austria and the Habsburgs question

Awhile back I posted a question asking for suggestions on book to help me understand 19th century German history better. I purchased "Austria, Prussia and Germany, 1806-1871" by John Breuilly, and it is excellent and pretty easy to understand for someone who is not a real history buff. However, I came upon something yesterday in my reading that confused me. In discussing the German National Assembly in the years between 1848 - 1849, Breuilly explains the difficulty that was encountered in how to deal with Austria in a unified Germany. If they excluded Austria all together in the attempt to unify Germany, that would give Prussia too much control, but if they included all of Austria, that would defeat the nation-state idea (I don't understand why including all of Austria would defeat the nation-state idea- can someone explain?) . A second thing that confused me was that one idea that was floated was to make a deal with the Habsburgs and exclude Austria? This I did not understand because aren't the Habsburgs and Austria synonymous? Or, is this just referring to including the territories that were not Austria over which the Habsburgs had control? Thanks.

Last edited:
Austria and the Habsburg question

The "nation-state-idea" in a german way was, to have an exclusively german state, what means without Hungaria, Serbia, Croatia and whatever belonged to the Habsburg Empire, with their overwhelmingly non-german population.

Gabriela of Habsburg and her sister Walburga Habsburg Douglas attended a premiere show of Circus Krone in Munich on February 1:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

Leopold, Prince von Altenburg has presented his book "The Emperor and his Sunshine" at the Cafe Central in Vienna, Austria, yesterday, March 21. Among the guests were Juliane, Princess von Altenburg, Friedrich, Prince von Altenburg, Archduke Michael von Habsburg and wife Pia:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 **

Eduard Von Habsburg take part at the World Congress of Families wich be held in Verona, Italy, 29-31 March .

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D20_Q_RXgAADDIT.jpg

Eduard Von Habsburg with his priest brother Paul Habsburg L.C. before Easter Vigil in Rome

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D4nZemXWsAcEEZ7.jpg

King Hamad bin Isa Al-Khalifa of Bahrein is on visit to Hungary and meets with the Archduke Georg von Habsburg on 23 April

https://www.bna.bh/en/HMKingmeetsAr...=q8FmFJgiscL2fwIzON1+DpocEM2JhguhPsx+2tj1hPY=

Why is he wearing his orders when attending an Easter Vigil?

Why is he wearing his orders when attending an Easter Vigil?

Protocol when a Member of a Official representation.Easter Vigil will Always see the Curia and the Corps Diplomatique in attendance.

Last edited:
And Archduke Eduard is the Hungarian Ambassador to the Holy See.

Alexandra of Habsburg - pictured with Ursula of Bavaria - attended the Anna Netrebko recital and charity dinner during the "Munich Opera Festival 2019" yesterday, July 17:

** Pic **

^^^^^ Oh, I am so green with envy I cryed me a river! ?

It's wonderful to spend time with the special people in your life, especially if they love Opera too, to be able to share such a wonderful time together watching and listening to one of the world's most glorious and passionate Sopranos.

One concert I watched she spun from one side of the stage to the other and danced and swirled her skirt all the way back. But the piece de resistance was skipping back to the centre and dropping to the floor, flipping her hair over her shoulder as she lay on one arm and perfectly timed her entrance with not a hint of a shortness of breath . . . and they got to see her on stage! ?

Maria Theresa Of Austria 1801-1855 Needing Coat Of Arms Identified

Hi Everybody! A new Post from a New Member! I'm an Antiques Dealer and while I was about Looking for Treasures at my Local Goodwill Thrift Store I found a very Early Chinese Export Porcelain Jar with what I believe to be Maria Theresa Of Austria (1801 - 1855) Personal Coat Of Arms Painted on the side of the Jar. My research on the Net made me think it is Her Personal Coat of Arms and that the date 1820 is referring to the date of Her First Born and Heir Apparent. She might have received a Full Set of this China as a Gift at that time. This would all be only my Guess until someone of knowledge could truly identify this Coat Of Arms for me and give me anymore info. they might have about this China and or Coat Of Arms. ANY Help Someone Could give me would Be HIGHLY Appreciated! Thank You! Sincerely, Gary K (KnutzKollectibles)

Attachments

• IMG_7165.JPG
    IMG_7165.JPG
    126.3 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_7166.JPG
    IMG_7166.JPG
    132 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_7169.JPG
    IMG_7169.JPG
    119.4 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_7170.JPG
    IMG_7170.JPG
    129.1 KB · Views: 76

Gabriela of Habsburg attended the vegan fashion show, store opening and dinner of "Giulia & Romeo" in Munich yesterday, September 12:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

Antonia of Habsburg-Lothringen attended a cocktail reception hosted by the Dorotheum in Munich on September 17:

** Pic **

Archduke Maximilian support of his family at the annual charity dinner organized by his Recal Foundation to raise funds for the fight against the disease of addiction

https://www.instagram.com/p/B3GrBVkCIfm/
https://www.instagram.com/p/B3Ffyi6izks/

Sandor Habsburg-Lothringen, Herta Margarete Habsburg-Lothringen with Prince Albert at the Austrian Imperialis at Hofburg Vienna on 12 October in Vienna, Austria. Prince Albert is honouring with The "flame of peace" a charitable foundation under the direction of the Habsburg family.

https://media.gettyimages.com/photo...ingen-and-ii-picture-id1175474483?s=2048x2048

https://www.gettyimages.es/search/2...s=all&uiloc=view_all_more_from_this_event_adp

von/de/of Habsburg

The Grandson of the last Emperor Karl Habsburg-Lothringen wants to be called Karl von Habsburg.
https://www.nzz.ch/international/da...treitet-mit-oesterreich-um-ein-von-ld.1520357

But this is forbidden in Austria - since 100 years... He used the little "von" on his homepage and claimed his father "Otto von Habsburg" ws internationally better known under the "von" Habsburg name. And this homepage would be an international "information tool".

This brought him promptly in front of a court and he was sentenced to a little money (70 Euro) or 4 hours incarceration.

Karl insisted all the way up to the supreme court, that he was not treated equally, because he had to delete a little part of his name - the "von". The supreme court argued, that the deletion of the "von" was meant, to create equality.

Now the court looks if other rights of the citizen Habsburg were violated . if not he has to delete the "von" on his homepage or will be thrown into jail: up tp 6 months.

Maria-Christiana of Habsburg attended the Cinema For Peace Gala at Westhafen Event & Convention Center in Berlin, Germany, on February 23:

** Pic **

Back
Top Bottom