Imperial House of Habsburg 2: June 2007-

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am not sure this is the thread to place this question in, but my knowledge of the German Royal families is so limited that I really don't know where to put it. If it needs to be moved, moderators, please do so. Here is the question.

I want to read the new book "Twilight of Empire" that is about the tragedy at Maylering. I had never heard of this event until I saw the book reviewed on a blog I follow. I have always only been interested in the British Royal Family, but I have just read "Victoria's Daughters" by Jerrold Packard and there was a mention of the Habsburgs in that book. The book touched on just enough 19th century German history to really get me interested, particularly in the monarchies that ruled all the different parts of the pre-united Germany. I really feel like I need more of an understanding of the Habsburgs and their role in 19th century German history to appreciate the book. I really don't want to go back to ancient times, but I would like to read a book that would give me better understanding of the times. Can someone recommend a book to me that would give me that foundation? Thanks.

Yes , they divorced . This is sad news. He left her for an Oetker Heiress !

HIRH Archduchess Katharina of Habsbourg is now very involved in her Imperial family story , she is writing gives interviews (Noblesse et Royautés) and appears on royal TV threads . She is a clever charming Lady speaking wonderfully French.
She has great support from her Mother , Archduc Rodolphe second wife.

Last edited:
A tangled web like in a soap opera.

Gabriela of Habsburg attended a show of Circus Krone in Munich today, February 1:

** Pic **

Last edited:
Princess Tatiana Galitzine with her husband Guillermo Sierra show us their home in Houston

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/li...ess-and-her-husband-live-quietly-12713113.php

Archduke Georg attend in Madrid at the conference "Kings Without a Realm, Diplomats Without Diplomatic Relations", organized by the Embassy of Hungary, the Cervantes Institute and the Diplomatic School. The event took place at the headquarters of the Institute .
King Simeon attends also to this event.

http://www.kingsimeon.bg/wp-content...posolstvoto-na-ungariya-v-madrid/DSC_8453.jpg
http://www.kingsimeon.bg/wp-content...posolstvoto-na-ungariya-v-madrid/DSC_8471.jpg
http://www.kingsimeon.bg/wp-content...posolstvoto-na-ungariya-v-madrid/DSC_8393.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Elizabeth of Habsburg spoke at the Appraisers Association of America Honors Hans Ulrich Obrist at 14th Annual Award Luncheon in New York City today, April 18:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **

Last edited:

Princess Tatiana and husband Guillermo Sierra attended the 5th annual UNICEF Gala Houston 2018 in Houston, Texas, yesterday, May 4:

** Pic **

IIRC also one of his brothers is a priest (or going to be a priest), while his younger sister is a nun.

IIRC also one of his brothers is a priest (or going to be a priest), while his younger sister is a nun.
His brothers Joseph and Thomas and his sister Maria des Neiges are all in religious Orders.

Last edited:
Thanks for the clarification. I was thinking to Thomas, didn't know (or didn't remind) that also Joseph was also a religious.

She is Elisabeth Gurtler . She is managing director of the Hotel Sacher, Vienna's most famous hotel and organizes this evening.

Archducke Georg attends at the Fete Imperiale 2018 on June 29 in Vienna, Austria

https://media.gettyimages.com/photo...during-the-fete-imperiale-picture-id987765100
https://media.gettyimages.com/photo...during-the-fete-imperiale-picture-id987765068

Archducke Johannes has been ordained as a priest last weekend in Verolliez.

The archuke is the 3rd of many children of Archduke Rudolphe and his wife Marie Helene de Villefagne de Vogelsanck. He was an economist who worked for a bank in Paris before he decided to become a priest.

Ordination de l'archiduc Johannes d'Autrcihe - Noblesse & Royautés

Some more pictures from the ordination of Archduke Johannes on 16 June

L'ordination de l’archiduc Johannes d’Autriche - Point de Vue

Is his brother Franz-Ludwig already married to Mathilde Vignon?

Yes, they were the couple that married in Geneva on September 1st 2018 and not Prince Henry de Bourbon de Parme and Archduchess Gabriella (they might even have called of their engagement)

Princess Sophie of Windisch-Graetz proud for her brother Archduke Maximilian of Austria for the gala dinner in Madrid for the Foundation RECAL!
Jamie De Marichalar attends as well!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BnoeJIJBmVB/?taken-by=sophiehabsburgdesign

Archduke Josef and Archduchess Anna-Monica attends at the inauguration of the The Artist Sheikh Rashid Al Khalifa new exhibition "Penumbra: Textured Shadow, Colored Light" at the Saatchi Gallery in London

http://www.noblesseetroyautes.com/w...8/10/097Saatchi_Rashid_Al_Khalifa_10.2018.jpg

Archduke Geza von Habsburg at the Golden Fleece Gala in New York on 30 October

https://www.rexfeatures.com/set/9953989

Maria-Christiana of Habsburg attended the Mary's Meal charity concert in Munich, Germany, on November 12:

** Pic **

Last edited:
I just finished reading the book about Emperor Francis Joseph by van de Kiste. I am so confused about Germany, Prussia, and Austria at that time. Were Prussia and Austria part of Germany? Also, was each German state (country) a monarchy? Did Austria and Prussia control some of the German countries? Were they united only by language? I want to read a book on Emperor Francis Joseph's wife and on William II of Prussia as well as other books, but I want to understand German history before and during Emperor Francis Joseph's reign first. Can someone straighten out my ignorance or recommend a book for me? I prefer one that is not a thousand pages, but if that is what it takes I will read it. I told my husband that I need a book on German History for Dummies. And, isn't Franz Josef more correct than my spelling of the Emperor's name?

Last edited:
Pre WW1

Maps - Europe before World War One (1914) - Diercke International Atlas

Post WW1

http://www.diercke.com/kartenansicht.xtp?artId=978-3-14-100790-9&seite=36&id=17470&kartennr=2

Learning with maps can be helpful since you can visually see what went on.

LaRae

If you want to watch an excellent documentary about Germany and how it all developed post WW1 I highly recommend this one:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_II_in_HD_Colour

You can get it on Netflix or even Youtube...very very detailed.

LaRae

I just finished reading the book about Emperor Francis Joseph by van de Kiste. I am so confused about Germany, Prussia, and Austria at that time. Were Prussia and Austria part of Germany? Also, was each German state (country) a monarchy? Did Austria and Prussia control some of the German countries? Were they united only by language? I want to read a book on Emperor Francis Joseph's wife and on William II of Prussia as well as other books, but I want to understand German history before and during Emperor Francis Joseph's reign first. Can someone straighten out my ignorance or recommend a book for me? I prefer one that is not a thousand pages, but if that is what it takes I will read it. I told my husband that I need a book on German History for Dummies. And, isn't Franz Josef more correct than my spelling of the Emperor's name?

GErmany and Austria where 2 differet countrs. Buzt the German Empire existed only from 1871. Before there was the german confederation and later the North german Confederation. Prussia and Austria fought about the leadership in it.

Most of the German countres where monarchies except for the free cities of Hamburg, Bremen amd Lübeck.
During the Holy Romand Empire there where many more Free cities but most of them lost their Statues and where included in other countries like Bavaria, Württemberg etc.

Just a try at a short answer. Franz Joseph was born in 1830, 15 years after the defeat of Napoleon. During his marsh towards Russia, Napoleon had reorganized a lot of the countries who were part of the Holy Roman Empire of Germany.

This empire was ruled by the Head of the Habsburg family of Austria, who through marriages and inheritances had amassed an enormous realm: Austria and Bohemia in the West, half of Italy in the South, Hungaria and attached smaller princedoms on the Balcan and towards Russia to the east and a large part of Poland to the north.

Before Napoleon The Holy Roman empire had consisted of innumerous small countries whose rulers formed allegiences with the few larger countries like Bavaria, Prussia, Saxony. Napoleon ended that and forced most of the rulers of the small countries to give up their independence and their lands to become part of the few larger countries Germany had: mostly Prussia in the North, Saxony in the middle, Bavaria, Baden and Württemberg in the South. Seeing what happened, the then emperor of the Holy Roman empire, Franz II. of Habsburg declared the end of this empire and made himself the "Emperor of Austria" (which included all Habsburg countries, especially the Archduchy of Austria and the kingdoms of Hungaria and Bohemia) and, as he was the first emperor of this country, he named himself Franz I.

Franz Joseph was the grandson of Franz I. Franz' eldest son, Ferdinand I. had inherited the empire of Austria, but while he was financially a very competent man, as a ruler he was weak, undecided and sickly. So when in 1848, with the advent of nationalism, more and more citizens of the German states fought for independence and more rights for the people, the Habsburg family thought Ferdinand was not the right man to deal with the uproars, especially those in Hungaria and Bohemia.

The king of Prussia at that time was Friedrich Wilhelm IV., who used the ill-fated German revolution of 1848 to make himself the most important ruler among the German souverains. The same year, Ferdinand of Austria abdicated, his younger brother renounced his rights to the throne in favour of his own, eldest son Franz Joseph, who, aged 18, became emperor of Austria.

Don't forget: we are not talking national states here, that development had only just started. It was still more or less absolute monarchies with the countries thought of as "property" of their rulers.

Two independent forces had formed on the land that was considered as "German" because of their common culture and their common history as part of the Holy Roman empire: Prussia as leader of most of the other German countries and Austria. These two had a problem: should they try for a reform of the Holy Roman Empire with Austria in it? But what about the other Habsburg-countries like Hungaria? Or create a "German empire" with Prussia's king as emperor but without Austria in it?
And how should the Habsburgs deal with the nationality crisis in their various countries?
That, in short, is the background of the life of Franz Joseph I. and his situation in a Germany on its way to a national state.
Hope this helps a bit.

I just finished reading the book about Emperor Francis Joseph by van de Kiste. I am so confused about Germany, Prussia, and Austria at that time. Were Prussia and Austria part of Germany? Also, was each German state (country) a monarchy? Did Austria and Prussia control some of the German countries? Were they united only by language?

1. Prussia was part of the German Empire; Austria was part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. They were two separate sovereign states.
  2. The German Empire was a federation of monarchies, which included several kingdoms, grand duchies, duchies and principalities, each of them with its own ruling royal family. The King of Prussia was, however, also the Emperor of Germany. While each state held some measure of residual powers, certain matters such as foreign relations or monetary policy were under federal jurisdiction. Some of the larger constituent states like the Kingdom of Bavaria or the Kingdom of Saxony mantained their own armed forces, but, in times of war, they were placed effectively under the control of the federal government.
  3. Prussia was the largest constituent state in the German Empire (I believe it accounted for 60 % of the population of the Empire) and, to a large extent, controlled the federal government. As I said, the King of Prussia was always the German Emperor and the prime minister of Prussia was almost always simultaneously the federal chancellor..
  4. Austria-Hungary on the other hand was a dual monarchy where the two main constituent states, i.e. Austria and Hungary, had separate parliaments and separate governments, linked however by a common foreign and military policy under the Emperor-King. Most non-German lands under Habsburg control like Bohemia fpr example were actually under the Austrian government.

1. Prussia was part of the German Empire; Austria was part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. They were two separate sovereign states.
  2. The German Empire was a federation of monarchies, which included several kingdoms, grand duchies, duchies and principalities, each of them with its own ruling royal family. The King of Prussia was, however, also the Emperor of Germany. While each state held some measure of residual powers, certain matters such as foreign relations or monetary policy were under federal jurisdiction. Some of the larger constituent states like the Kingdom of Bavaria or the Kingdom of Saxony mantained their own armed forces, but, in times of war, they were placed effectively under the control of the federal government.
  3. Prussia was the largest constituent state in the German Empire (I believe it accounted for 60 % of the population of the Empire) and, to a large extent, controlled the federal government. As I said, the King of Prussia was always the German Emperor and the prime minister of Prussia was almost always simultaneously the federal chancellor..
  4. Austria-Hungary on the other hand was a dual monarchy where the two main constituent states, i.e. Austria and Hungary, had separate parliaments and separate governments, linked however by a common foreign and military policy under the Emperor-King. Most non-German lands under Habsburg control like Bohemia fpr example were actually under the Austrian government.

Is that the situation of 1971 onwards? Then it should have been featured in the book about Franz Joseph - before the battle of Königsgrätz 1866 Austria still was considered part of (Greater-) Germany and was supported by most countries in the middle and the south of Germany including Bavaria and Saxony - but lost the battle and the war, so Prussia became the most influential state in Germany and could found the German "Empire" in 1871.

Is that the situation of 1971 onwards? Then it should have been featured in the book about Franz Joseph - before the battle of Königsgrätz 1866 Austria still was considered part of (Greater-) Germany and was supported by most countries in the middle and the south of Germany including Bavaria and Saxony - but lost the battle and the war, so Prussia became the most influential state in Germany and could found the German "Empire" in 1871.

As far as I understand, Austria and even Bohemia, which was not German-speaking, were part of the so-called German Confederation up to the war between Austria and Prussia in 1866. After the war, the Confederation was dissolved. The Austrian Empire, no longer considered part of Germany then, joined with the Kingdom of Hungary in 1867 to form the Austro-Hungarian dual monarchy.

In comparison to the post-1971 German Empire, Austria-Hungary was a more decentralized state. For example, there was no common citizenship and citizens actually had separate Austrian or Hungarian passports. Similarly, there was no "federal" parliament above the Imperial Council of Austria and the Diet of Hungary. One of the major sources of tension was that , unlike the Hungarians, several non-German ethnic groups within the Empire, like the Czechs for example, had only limited autonomy and were constitutionally under the rule of the central Austrian government.

Back
Top Bottom