The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-22-2009, 09:28 PM
Gentry

Thank you for that perspective. I guess I don't understand that if the Austrians (and maybe Hungarians) wanted to restore a monarchy (maybe as a parlimentary or constitutional monarchy?) why not the Habsburgs? What I meant about 'coldly' was that there is no remnant of the imperial, royal or aristocratic history allowed by the families in the constitution as I understand (e.g. not even the use of 'von' in their names as for example Germany). At least in Austria?

Old 05-04-2009, 05:50 AM
Courtier

Getty Images - Duc de Vendome and Philomena de Tornos Celebrate Wedding in Senlis here's archduke Martin of Austria-Este at duke of Vendome wedding: is he with his mother archduchess Margherita?

Old 05-04-2009, 09:02 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Yes, she is Archdchess Margherita of Austria-Este, born Princess of Savoy, th daughter of Prince Amedeo, 3rd Duke of Aosta, and his wife Anne, sister of the late Count of Paris.
Old 05-24-2009, 12:16 PM
Nobility

Alexander, prince of rhodes.

who is alexander, prince of rhodes 1936-1978 ?.
i have recently come across a reference to him, stating that he had married countess helene of toerring jettenbach b 1937 , the daughter of princess elizabeth of greece, the second daughter of prince nicholas.
however all other references / sources that i have come across, have the countess helene marrying one archduke ferdinand, count von kyburg b 1918, nephew of the former emperor karl of austra .
any ideas ?
cheers jonny
Old 05-24-2009, 12:29 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

The english page of wikipedia about Princess Elisabeth of Greece states that her daughter Helene married this Alexander, Prince of Rhodes; I confirm you that Countess Helene von Toerring-Jettenbach (b. 1937) married in 1956 HI&RH Archduke Ferdinand of Austria (1918-2004), with whom she had 3 children.
However, this is the second time I read on Wikipedia about unknown and, I guess, invented Princes...
Old 05-24-2009, 12:55 PM
Nobility

invented prince

thankyou for your reply. yes, the adove page you have mentioned is the one source i have found about alexander and i was beginning to think the same thing about alexander but who should want to invent such a person ? (out of interest who is the first invented unknown prince you have come across ?).
yes the count and countess von kyburg had the following children
1,elisabeth b 1957 ( who was a bridesmaid to her mothers cousin princess alexandra of kent, who married angus ogilvy, a son of the earl of airlie).
2, sophie b 1959.
3, maximilian b 1961.
princess alexandra of kent is the daugther of princess marina of greece, the sister of the adove princess elizabeth, mother of helene countess von kyburg. alexandra 's father is prince george, duke of kent, a son of king george v of great britain, the grandfather of the present queen elizabeth II, who also married into the greek royal house. her husband being prince philip, duke of edinburgh,a cousin of princess marina and her sisters (the other sister is princess olga, who married into the yugoslav royal family, her husband prince paul, was the regent for young king peter II, whom later married yet another greek princess alexandra).
cheers jonny
Old 05-24-2009, 05:21 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Why Count and Countess von Kyburg??? They are Archduke and Archduchess Ferdinand of Austria, what is this comital title?

The first invented prince was a fictional cousin of Prince Amedeo of Belgium, an invented Archduke Charles of Austria-Bourbon; this part of the text has been removed from wikipedia.
Old 05-24-2009, 06:25 PM
Serene Highness

this is the problem with Wikipedia, anyone can send it, wikipedia does not contrast information...
Old 05-24-2009, 06:58 PM
Nobility

archduke ferdinand and his younger brother archduke henry b 1925, both used the title of count von kyburg. my sources are burkes royal families of the world vol 1, europe & latin america (1977) and another book, lines of succession, the heraldry of the royal families of europe (1981).
it would appear that the two archdukes had adopted a old habsburg family title to use, for amongst the many styles and titles of the former emperors of austra is the princely count (s) of habsburg and tyrol, of goritz and gradisca and of - wait for it................... of KYBURG.
the last count of kyburg had died without children c1264 and his nephew rudolph count of habsburg (1218-1291), a direct ancestor of the two archdukes, inherited the title, castle and lands. rudolph was the elder son of albrecht count of habsburg d 1240 and his wife HEILWIG / HEDWIG d 1260, the daugther ULRICH III , count of KYBURG. by the way, the castle of kyburg still stands i believe.
cheers jonny
Old 05-25-2009, 01:08 PM
Nobility

a little puzzled

i am somewhat puzzled, as i am sure that i posted the adove under the forum the royal family of greece and now it is under the present forum for some apparent reason. however i suppose its belongs here better than the greek forum, BUT it all depends which direction that one comes to a subject, you see i was researching the descendants of prince nicholas of greece and came across the adove alexander, prince of rhodes, which in turn has lead me to the habsburg connection !!!
cheers jonny
Old 05-26-2009, 05:19 AM
Administrator

Since this "Alexander, Prince of Rhodes" is a nonsense he has no place in the Royal Family of Greece forum.
The Counts of Kyburg however do exist and so the posts were moved to this thread.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:54 PM
Nobility

hello warren,
thank you for your explanation, but i think i have mentioned within my posts, more greek royals than austrian royals, it was only by chance it lead to the habsburg / kyburg connection, but still, i am in agreememt with the move, well done. also is there any guide lines i should follow when submitting a thread to any one forum, to avoid repeating a similar error. i say this as this was i my first post within the forums and i am not too sure of the do's and don'ts as yet !!
cheers jonny.
Old 05-27-2009, 05:25 AM
Administrator

There was no error, except in the deliberately corrupted Wiki entry.
Posts will be moved to the appropriate thread if need be depending on their content.
Old 06-07-2009, 05:49 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Monaco and Sweden

Georg of Habsburg, Member of European Parliament (MEP) candidate
of the junior opposition conservative party, Hungarian Democratic
Forum (MDF) and his wife Eilika caste their vote during the European
Parliament elections in Soskut some 30 kms south of Budapest, Hungary,
June 7, 2009.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **
Old 06-07-2009, 07:05 AM
Heir Presumptive

As his brother Karl will be the Habsburg's heir after his father death, Georg will is to be known in Hungary where he lives. I noticed Georg of Habsburg, member... .
Old 06-07-2009, 04:10 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

So, also Georg if a member of the European Parliament? I didn't know it, I knew that only Otto and Karl have been MEP...
Old 06-08-2009, 05:42 AM
Courtier

Georg was just a candidate to yesterday elections; the budapest times reports: "The conservative Hungarian Democratic Forum (MDF) also confounded opinion pollsters by scraping through with 5.3 per cent of the national vote to win the former finance minister Lajos Bokros a seat in the European Parliament." So it seems that he wasn't elected. Were Karl or some other sibling running too?
Old 06-09-2009, 01:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Courtesy of Sipa Press.

Some additions.
Prince George von Habsburg and his wife Eilika von Oldenburg arriving to a voting poll. George von Habsburg is candidate of small Hungarian)
conservative party MDF at the European Parliamentary elections. (7/06/2009)

http://i40.tinypic.com/2qc1npl.jpg
http://i39.tinypic.com/r2paxk.jpg
http://i42.tinypic.com/30kf021.jpg
Old 08-05-2009, 07:11 PM
Courtier

Archduke Martin and his wife Archduchess Katharina of Austria Este had their first daughter and third child Helene on July 13th 2009
A sister for Bartholomäus and Emmanuel.
Source: Chantal de Badts on Royauté 2
Old 08-05-2009, 07:48 PM
Heir Presumptive

That's the reason why Archiduke Martin was alone at the Duke de Vendome's wedding. Congratulations to the Habsbourg-Este family

Tags
austria, habsburg, house of habsburg, house of habsburg-lorraine