The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Non-Reigning Houses > Royal Families of Germany and Austria > The Imperial House of Habsburg

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-27-2006, 10:04 AM
Commoner

Emperor Karl I (1887-1922), Empress Zita ("The Last Empress") (1892-1989) and Family

I would like to start this topic on the last empress Zita of Austria (1892-1989) so that all those which appreciate this very great lady can post infos, anecdotes or pics on her, her husband Karl I and their family, in order to pay homage to her.

Everyone is invited to take part.

Thanks in advance.

Old 09-05-2006, 10:48 PM
Aristocracy

Geli,Empress Zita never renounced her royal & imperial status after the abolition of the Empire of Austria-Hungary.She supported her son's anti-Nazi exile organisation during World War II.I know very little about her after World War II,however.

Aidan.

Old 09-06-2006, 12:42 AM
Serene Highness

http://www.aeiou.at/aeiou.encyclop.d...z/z648535a.jpg

A photo of her.
Old 09-08-2006, 08:28 PM
Nobility

the following link has more pictures of Zita with her children: http://members.fortunecity.com/verenad/Zita.html

Anyone out there has any information about Zita's life prior marriage to karl?
Old 09-08-2006, 09:07 PM
Serene Highness

Here's an interesting article on her life from Wikipedia. There's some pictures as well: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zita_of_Bourbon-Parma
Old 09-09-2006, 09:15 AM
Nobility

found this little article on zita (which focuses mostly on Karl)...

(taken exactly from above link. the website has pictures )
Karl of Austria was the last Emperor of Austria, the last Apostolic King of Hungary, the last King of Bohemia and the last monarch of the Habsburg dynasty. He was beatified by Pope John Paul II in Rome on October 3, 2004.
Archduke Karl was born on 17 August 1887 in the castle of Persenbeug in Austria. His parents were the Archduke Otto and Princess Maria Josefa of Saxony. Emperor Franz Josef was Karl's great-uncle. When Karl was 8 years old, a famous nun in Sopron, Hungary, prophesied that the child must be enveloped in prayers, for he will be emperor someday and will have to suffer greatly. He will be a special target of hell. As a result, Count and Countess Wallis, who were charged with the education of Karl, founded a small prayer circle in 1895. This prayer circle later became the League of Prayers with thousands of members worldwide...
http://www.cryingvoice.com/Picture_8.html
Old 09-09-2006, 10:32 PM
Royal Highness
TRF Author

How a nice little boy Otto was when very little! Such a cutie pie...

Vanesa.
Old 09-10-2006, 01:28 PM
Commoner

Tkank you with all for your answers which really pleased to me !

Here are two pictures of Zita at the time of her engagement to the archiduke Carl Franz Josef of Austria (1887-1922), later emperor Karl I :

Old 09-16-2006, 06:33 AM
Commoner

The wedding of the Archiduke Charles of Hasburg and Princess Zita of Bourbon Parma was celebrated on October 21, 1911 in the castle of Schwarzau, not far from Vienna, in the presence of the emperor Franz Josef.

Here are two pictures :

Old 09-17-2006, 01:33 AM
Administrator

Two pics of Empress Zita.

Coronation as Queen of Hungary in 1916

Empress Zita as Princess of Bourbon-Parma 1910

Old 09-24-2006, 09:47 AM
Commoner

Zita as a new archiduchess of Austria, after wedding :

Official portrait of the young couple

Zita was, we knows it, born in 1892 and was thus 19 years old in 1911 when she married archiduc Karl.

But, on all the photos of this time, she seemed extremely youthful and appeared much younger than her real age.
Old 09-24-2006, 11:07 AM
Courtier

Here are some other nice threads about Zita:
http://forum.alexanderpalace.org/ind...ic,1983.0.html
http://forum.alexanderpalace.org/ind...ic,6568.0.html
http://www.royals-portal.de/forum/in...wtopic=6768&hl
Old 12-31-2006, 03:08 PM
Courtier

The former Austrian royal family hard to believe outranks all of the reigning princes and princess of current royals houses and they have not reigned or ruled in thousands of years.There are some nice pictures of the emperor and empress together and some pictures of the empress by herself .I like the tiara she was wearing does anyone know about the history of the tiara and does the royal family of Bourbon-Parma still own the tiara or was it lost or sold?

I'm head of a dynastic house no matter what others say.
Princess Kamorrissa,Countess of Welle
Old 12-31-2006, 04:24 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Next Star
The former Austrian royal family hard to believe outranks all of the reigning princes and princess of current royals houses and they have not reigned or ruled in thousands of years.
Thousands of years? It hasn't even been a 100yrs yet? The monarchy was abolished at the end of World War I.
Old 12-31-2006, 04:29 PM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Picture of the Month Representative - Denmark
Royal Blogger

I visited Madeira with Christmas and there is a portret of Empress Zita with her family there..
Old 12-31-2006, 04:36 PM
Courtier

Okay it is not thousands of years but over eighty years that still does not change the fact they are not of an reigning royal house period.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheQueen
Thousands of years? It hasn't even been a 100yrs yet? The monarchy was abolished at the end of World War I.

I'm head of a dynastic house no matter what others say.
Princess Kamorrissa,Countess of Welle
Old 01-01-2007, 01:20 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Next Star
...that still does not change the fact they are not of an reigning royal house period.
From my reading of the thread no-one has suggested they are. So, there are no "facts" which need changing, apart from the "thousands of years" statement, which should have read 1919 for Austria and 1921 for Hungary.
Old 01-14-2007, 04:34 AM

The tiara was used at the wedding between Princess Regina Sachsen-Meinigen and Erzherzog Otto. The tiara (made by Kchert) was a wedding gift from Kaiser Franz Joseph to Zita.
Old 01-14-2007, 05:42 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by geli
Here are two pictures of Zita at the time of her engagement to the Archiduke Carl Franz Josef of Austria (1887-1922), later Emperor Karl I
The man in the first picture doesn't look like Karl at all. Maybe he is one of Zita's brothers?
Old 01-19-2007, 01:55 PM
Commoner

Thats definitely Karl. Dont you recognize him???

I hope we speak of the same picture : The one with Zita, and the man with the hat beside her. There is not much to see of his face because of the hat, but thats the typical mouth and nose of Karl!

Marie Bonaparte (1882-1962)

Tags
emperor karl i, empress zita, habsburg