Emperor Karl I (1887-1922), Empress Zita ("The Last Empress") (1892-1989) and Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

geli

Commoner
Emperor Karl I (1887-1922), Empress Zita ("The Last Empress") (1892-1989) and Family

I would like to start this topic on the last empress Zita of Austria (1892-1989) so that all those which appreciate this very great lady can post infos, anecdotes or pics on her, her husband Karl I and their family, in order to pay homage to her.

Everyone is invited to take part.

Thanks in advance.

Geli,Empress Zita never renounced her royal & imperial status after the abolition of the Empire of Austria-Hungary.She supported her son's anti-Nazi exile organisation during World War II.I know very little about her after World War II,however.

Aidan.

found this little article on zita (which focuses mostly on Karl)...

(taken exactly from above link. the website has pictures ;))
Karl of Austria was the last Emperor of Austria, the last Apostolic King of Hungary, the last King of Bohemia and the last monarch of the Habsburg dynasty. He was beatified by Pope John Paul II in Rome on October 3, 2004.
Archduke Karl was born on 17 August 1887 in the castle of Persenbeug in Austria. His parents were the Archduke Otto and Princess Maria Josefa of Saxony. Emperor Franz Josef was Karl's great-uncle. When Karl was 8 years old, a famous nun in Sopron, Hungary, prophesied that the child “must be enveloped in prayers, for he will be emperor someday and will have to suffer greatly. He will be a special target of hell.” As a result, Count and Countess Wallis, who were charged with the education of Karl, founded a small prayer circle in 1895. This prayer circle later became the League of Prayers with thousands of members worldwide...
http://www.cryingvoice.com/Picture_8.html

Last edited by a moderator:
How a nice little boy Otto was when very little! Such a cutie pie...:wub:

Vanesa.

Tkank you with all for your answers which really pleased to me !

Here are two pictures of Zita at the time of her engagement to the archiduke Carl Franz Josef of Austria (1887-1922), later emperor Karl I :

engagement.jpg
pianore.jpg

The wedding of the Archiduke Charles of Hasburg and Princess Zita of Bourbon Parma was celebrated on October 21, 1911 in the castle of Schwarzau, not far from Vienna, in the presence of the emperor Franz Josef.

Here are two pictures :

1911.jpg

wedding1911.jpg

Two pics of Empress Zita.

Coronation as Queen of Hungary in 1916

EmpressZitaQueenofHungary1916.jpg

Empress Zita as Princess of Bourbon-Parma 1910

EmpressZita.jpg

Zita as a new archiduchess of Austria, after wedding :

charlesandzia.jpg

Official portrait of the young couple

zitaofparma.jpg
zita3.jpg

Zita was, we knows it, born in 1892 and was thus 19 years old in 1911 when she married archiduc Karl.

But, on all the photos of this time, she seemed extremely youthful and appeared much younger than her real age.

The former Austrian royal family hard to believe outranks all of the reigning princes and princess of current royals houses and they have not reigned or ruled in thousands of years.There are some nice pictures of the emperor and empress together and some pictures of the empress by herself .I like the tiara she was wearing does anyone know about the history of the tiara and does the royal family of Bourbon-Parma still own the tiara or was it lost or sold?

Next Star said:
The former Austrian royal family hard to believe outranks all of the reigning princes and princess of current royals houses and they have not reigned or ruled in thousands of years.

Thousands of years? It hasn't even been a 100yrs yet? The monarchy was abolished at the end of World War I.

I visited Madeira with Christmas and there is a portret of Empress Zita with her family there..

Okay it is not thousands of years but over eighty years that still does not change the fact they are not of an reigning royal house period.

TheQueen said:
Thousands of years? It hasn't even been a 100yrs yet? The monarchy was abolished at the end of World War I.

Next Star said:
...that still does not change the fact they are not of an reigning royal house period.
From my reading of the thread no-one has suggested they are. So, there are no "facts" which need changing, apart from the "thousands of years" statement, which should have read 1919 for Austria and 1921 for Hungary.

The tiara was used at the wedding between Princess Regina Sachsen-Meinigen and Erzherzog Otto. The tiara (made by Köchert) was a wedding gift from Kaiser Franz Joseph to Zita.

geli said:
Here are two pictures of Zita at the time of her engagement to the Archiduke Carl Franz Josef of Austria (1887-1922), later Emperor Karl I
The man in the first picture doesn't look like Karl at all. Maybe he is one of Zita's brothers?

That´s definitely Karl. Don´t you recognize him???

I hope we speak of the same picture : The one with Zita, and the man with the hat beside her. There is not much to see of his face because of the hat, but that´s the typical mouth and nose of Karl!

I know that Otto Von Hapsburg is the oldest son of this marriage. Who are the other siblings? Can anyone list them?
Thanks,
Linda 85

linda85 said:
I know that Otto Von Hapsburg is the oldest son of this marriage. Who are the other siblings?
The family of Emperor Karl and Empress Zita

• Otto, Crown Prince of Austria and Hungary (1912- )
married Princess Regina of Saxe-Meiningen

• Adelhaid (1914-1971) unmarried

• Robert, Archduke of Austria-Este, Head of the Ducal House of Modena (1915-1996)
married Princess Margherita of Savoy-Aosta

• Felix (1916- )
married Princess Anna-Eugenie d'Arenberg

• Carl Ludwig (1918-2007)
married Princess Yolande de Ligne

• Rudolf (1919- )
married (1) Countess Xenia Bezobrazoff
married (2) Princess Anna Gabrielle von Wrede

• Charlotte (1921-1989)
married Duke Georg Alexander of Mecklenburg (-Strelitz)

• Elisabeth (1922-1993)
married Prince Heinrich von und zu Liechtenstein

Last edited:
It´s strange that all the girls died in their sixties, but the men become all very old. Especially Otto must be of a very strong constitution. It´s impossible that he always travels sooo much, even if he is much over ninety. He must be a bit like his mother, who became so old, too. When I once say him in TV, I would never have thought that he is ober ninety. I appears much younger to me.
Has anybody recent pictures of the family of his son Karl? Or is there another thread for it? Thanks!

where is this crown from and does is still exist??

If I understand correctly, the Habsburgs who accepted the Republic were permitted to stay in Austria and retain their property. Karl and his family, however, had to leave Austria and lost their property. How did Karl, Zita, and the children survive? Did they have property and assets out of Austria on which they could draw? Did Austria ever return any property? Thanks.

I'd love to see pictures of her funeral in Vienna in 1989.

I too would be keen to see the video of the Requiem for Emprress Zita. I have heard it is available on the internet, but have failed to find it.

No luck with the Empress Zita funeral, but here's a YouTube tribute to the Emperor Karl, featuring the Empress.

YouTube - Beatous Karl I

Back
Top Bottom