Emperor Karl I (1887-1922), Empress Zita ("The Last Empress") (1892-1989) and Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Catharina is Archiduke Rodolphe child from his second wedding with a Princess of Wrede. We often see them with our RF, especially Queen Fabiola.

I actually found this interview in English. It was very pleasant to read. I learned something new even from reading it in my native language. I was not aware that the Beautification process had also been started for Empress Zita. I'm sure this is just a translation of the article that MAfan posted.

Great Lalla Meriem! you're right, it's the english version of the one I've found (and surely better translated...)

:previous:

Thank you for posting this interview, MAfan and Lalla Meriem. Very interesting indeed. I, too, did not know that the former Pope had been named for Emperor Karl or that he was a monarchist at heart, bowing before Zita and calling her "my Empress."

I actually found this interview in English. It was very pleasant to read. I learned something new even from reading it in my native language. I was not aware that the Beautification process had also been started for Empress Zita. I'm sure this is just a translation of the article that MAfan posted.
Have I understood well? Empress Zita is to be beatified?

Have I understood well? Empress Zita is to be beatified?

The Archduchess said, "she has already been proclaimed a ‘servant of God’, because a beatification process has been instituted for her as well."

I took it to mean the same as you. It was a big deal when the steps were started for the Emperor but this is the first I have heard of it for the Empress. The Archduchess is in a position to know this so I assume it is true.

The last Emperor Karl was blessed by the late Pope Jean-Paul II. Now in Rome they
are starting to bless his wife Empress Zita.

If you want to believe all the guff about saintly Karl, then that’s your right…As for his wife, that’s total BS.
But there are some members of the Habsburg family with little common sense.

The youtube videos of Empress Zita's funeral are wonderful, but does anyone know where I might find a video of the whole funeral? My friend would like to give it as a birthday gift to his priest.

I haven't had any luck finding anything, even after trying to use my terrible german skills to search that part of the internet.

Thank you very much for sharing the video, Stefan! :flowers:
A very tasteful video and a dignified ceremony.

Last edited:
wow thanks Marengo. I have already seen this interview once on ORF in 1989 when I was seven years old. It was aired because of her death and I remember being totally fascinated by her. My great-grandfather once met her where she gave him the hand and until his death he was so proud of this little gesture of hers. Seeing the interview again I can finally understand him better. She really was an exceptional woman.

:previous: Yes, here are several historical details and views of the church: Saint Mary Mother of God - Home

... as well as information about the shrine's dedication - although the parish would do well to learn to spell correctly the Archduke's first and family names! Not surprisingly, it will be a High Mass in the Tridentine (pre-1962 Latin) rite, which will be celebrated tomorrow, September 2nd, at 9am. Apparently Imre will offer a "first-class relic" (I didn't know that relics were graded by quality!) of his great-grandfather as a gift to the church:
Saint Mary Mother of God - Dedication of Shrine to Blessed Karl of Austria

Last edited:
Among the children of Emperor Karl I were the Archduke Karl Ludwig, the Archduke Rudolf, and the Archduchess Elisabeth. Was the Archduke Karl Ludwig named after his paternal great-grandfather, the Archduke Karl Ludwig, the brother of Emperor Franz Joseph I? Was the Archduke Rudolf named after the Crown Prince Rudolf? Was the Archduchess Elisabeth named after the Empress Elisabeth of Austria?

Yes Carl Ludwig and Elisabeth were named after Franz Joseph's brother and Empress Elisabeth. Not sure about Rudolf but as far as I recall he was named after the founder of the dynasty: King Rudolph I.

Yes, Archduke Rudolph was indeed named after the founder of the dinasty, who was Count Rudolph IV von Habsburg, who in 1273 was elected King of the Romans and in 1286 became the first Duke of Austria.

Mafan ,
Do-you know how many relics from blessed Emperor Carl car existing ?
We have one the Sablon Church of Brussels.

Here is a list of nearly all the shrines and relics of Emperor Karl:
Emperor Charles

If I don't mistake, in a few days the Basilique de Saint-Epvre in Nancy (the church where Archduke Christoph and Archduchess Adelaide married last year) will also receive a relics of the Emperor, after a Mass attended by Archdukes Carl Christian, Marie Astrid, Christoph and Adelaide.

Yes, Archduke Rudolph was indeed named after the founder of the dinasty, who was Count Rudolph IV von Habsburg, who in 1273 was elected King of the Romans and in 1286 became the first Duke of Austria.

Sorry MAfan but Rudolph became Duke of Austria and Styria in 1278 after the battle of Dürnkrut in which he defeated King Ottokar of Bohemia. He was Duke until 1282 when he gave Austria and Styria as well as Krain to his sons Albrecht and Rudolf. In 1276 he already became Duke of Carinthia and Krain and held the position until 1286. Then he gave Carinthia to his son-in-law Meinhardt of Götz. But the first Duke of Austria was Heinrich II. Jasomirgott from the House of Babenberg. He ruled since 1141 over Austria and became Duke in 1156. Before that Austria was a so-called Markgrafschaft.

Last edited:
Yes, of course, you're perfectly right. I have mixed up some dates. Thanks for the corrections.
Btw by saying that he became the first Duke of Austria I meant that he was the first Habsburg Duke of Austria. I have written that quite imprecisely.

Ah okay. I have already assumed you meant to write the first Habsburg who was Duke of Austria. ?

"Habsbugs party of 73, your table is ready. How many high chairs and children's menus will you need?":p

Thank you for sharing the photos and other information about Blessed Karl, Empress Zita and their children.

Back
Top Bottom