Emperor Franz Joseph I (1830-1916) and Empress Elisabeth (Sissi) (1837-1898)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't think the new Netflix series and even the movie "Corsage" do Empress Elisabeth any justice. It's just a modern form of creating new clichés, what do you think?

I read a lot about Sisi and find her fascinating even as an older woman on her travels. In the movies, she's only portrayed as young and beautiful.

I just came across a new book, "Under the Spell of a Myth: Empress Sisi in Greece", as it was recently released and advertised. I ordered the book and have to admit that's it is one of the most serious and well-researched books I've read about the Empress so far! It follows her on her trips to Greece. I didn't know she had so many young men (readers) accompanying her. She really confided in them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Emperor Franz Joseph I. at the unveiling of the Empress Elisabeth Monument (1907):

It’s funny how after so many years, Empress Elisabeth has continued to mystify people since her death and Austria uses her story for popular tourism, but the Habsburgs today aren’t so well-liked

You are right , Sissi and Mozart.
I think without the 3 films with Romy Schneider , which where so popular , her story should be less known.

A new film about Sissi called "Corsage" with Vicky Krieps , the contrary of Sissi Romy Schneider. She was taller than her husband , eating nearly nothing , smoking, depressive, creating her own hairdo, swimming in cold water and did not want wearing a corset.

After the New Year Concert in Vienna , we show Stephane Bern 's Escapade in Austria.
I saw the villa Hermes , present of the Emperor to his wife Elisabeth.
The Lady in charge 's interview was interesting :
Empress Sissi did not wanted paintings of her when she became old. In this small castle there is a painting of Sissi in her older days but the painter never saw the Empress but saw a Picture.
Empress Sissi did not want to be seen , her Lady in Waiting with a black Veil went and She stayed home.

The evening I saw the film "corsage" . This german film started on Christmas 1877 when Sissi celebrated her 40th Birthday (The corset was her physical and mentally her life. )

First Lady of Austria she may not say what she wants, has to be for ever a young and beautiful Empress. The whole film is her rebellion . Her weight , her hairs , her gym exerices , her travelling from a place to another ... She asked a young Lady to be the Emperor's Mistress.
She absolutely had not a happy life and a tragic End .

I visited the hotel Beau Rivage in Geneve, a small museum shows the Enregistration book of
her Stay and some souvenis of the Empress

Last edited:
A video with images of Emperor Franz Joseph I:

Suppose one has to see that in the light of what was `beauty `at that time.

To me she was a child all her life,she behaved as one,and she certainly was affected by the Wittelsbach uhh...curse if you like,i.e. not consistent in the use of her grey cells, to put it mildly...

Back
Top Bottom