The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Non-Reigning Houses > Royal Families of Germany and Austria > The Imperial House of Habsburg

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-18-2012, 04:30 PM
Commoner

I'm especially interested in Royal figures who have been passed over for the succession. Emperor Franz Josef's father Archduke Franz Karl was heir to the Throne in 1848, but was persuaded to renounce his claims in favour of his more dynamic son. It seems that Franz Karl was considered somewhat mentally challenged to assume the Crown and he was only too happy to live the life of a privileged Archduke without the responsibilities of being Emperor. His wife I believe played a major role in elevating her son to the Throne ahead of his father. Franz Karl died in 1878.
Emperor Franz Josef was born 182 years ago today.

Old 08-19-2012, 03:40 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAfan View Post
...I don't know if she hoped for a marriage of Franz Joseph and the Countess of Trani, but it is true that Marie Valerie hoped that her father remarried...
As I remembered, Marie Valerie really hoped her father would marry her aunt, the Countess of Trani because she was "calmer." (I'm working with my memory so if anyone also read the same thing and I made mistake(s), feel free to correct me).

The emperor also wanted to marry Isabelle (the third daughter of the Count of Paris) but by than, she was engaged to her cousin, the Duke of Guise.

Old 08-19-2012, 05:38 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverstar View Post
but reading the biog I see that
Eliz sis Maria ... became the Queen of Naples !
and years before, Marie Antoinette's sis was the Qu of Naples too !
The Habsburg rules a great part of Italy first as kings of Spain and then on marrying all important heiresses. When Habsburg lost the War of the Spanish Succession, Naples-Two Sicilies became independant from Spain but stayed under the new rule of the Spanish/French Bourbons. so for them it was extremely important to connect to Habsburg and the emperor/empress through marriage. Thus the Bourbons of Parma and of Naples married Archduchesses while Isabella of Parma became wife of Joseph II. After Napoleon, the Barvarians were the best connected Royal family in Europe: Napoleon III. was a cousin of the Bavarian princesses as well as Franz Joseph, Oscar I. was married to one, too and was thusly a cousin-in-law of both of them. The queen of Prussia and Saxony were aunts... no wonder the king of Naples married one of these princesses as well and became part of the family.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:25 PM
Nobility

In respectful remembrance of Empress Elisabeth: December 24, 1837 - September 10, 1898. May she rest in peace.
Old 09-14-2013, 08:16 PM
Aristocracy

Emperor Franz Josef was not a nice guy when it came to the story of his nephew, Franz Ferdinand and Countess Sophie Chotek, as described in 'The Assassination of the Archduke'. He was a downright tyrant to Sophie and their children, Sophie, Max and Ernst, and even worse after Sophie's death. I am glad there is no monarchy in Austria any more.
Old 09-15-2013, 05:39 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

What did the book said about that point?

As far as I know, Franz Josef didn't have anything personally against Sophie, his only problem was that her rank wasn't high enough to make her the future Empress and Queen. And on the contrary, if I recall correctly, the Emperor wrote quite sympathetic words about Sophie after meeting her.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:24 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAfan View Post
What did the book said about that point?

As far as I know, Franz Josef didn't have anything personally against Sophie, his only problem was that her rank wasn't high enough to make her the future Empress and Queen. And on the contrary, if I recall correctly, the Emperor wrote quite sympathetic words about Sophie after meeting her.
As far as i remember he meet them not very often in private but mostly at official occasions where all was regulated according to the strict Protocol.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 09-17-2013, 04:44 PM
Courtier

Well FJ was the legal guardian of their 4 children after S. and FF.'s death in Sarajevo. The Hohenbergs also inherited a hunting lodge from FJ after his death. I have no information on how close their relationship was to their grand-uncle but he took care of them and their education. Even after his death they were well taken care of in his last will. What's more they had a close relationship to their cousin Emperor Karl and AD Otto. Empress Zita even claimed in one Interview that FJ always had the best relationship with AD FF and Duchess Sophie. There is even a video on youtube filmed at Karl and Zita's wedding in which you can see FJ and FF laughing together. I really doubt that their relationship and FJ's relationship with Sophie on a personal level was as bad as rumour has it.
Old 11-08-2013, 07:12 PM

The Hungarian Child – Of Catastrophe, Consummation and Compromise

In 1855 Empress Elisabeth, the woman who would become Queen of Hungary, made her first trip to that land. Traveling from Vienna to Buda, she left behind her two year old daughter, Sophie. This, her first child, had been taken from her right after birth. This was done by Elisabeth’s mother in law, Princess Sophie of Bavaria, who decided that the child would be named after herself. She did not think that Elisabeth, at the tender age of 18 could properly rear the child. In the ensuing two years Elisabeth was only allowed to see the child infrequently and always in the presence of her mother-in-law. One of the young Empress’s emotional outlets was to travel far away from the suffocating court protocol of Vienna to the wilder east of the empire, Hungary. It was here where she would to come feel most at ease and gain a degree of privacy otherwise lacking at the stuffy court in Vienna.

Yet it was on this trip to Hungary that she soon received news that young Sophie had suddenly fallen ill. The sickness turned life threatening. She hurried back to Vienna only to have the child die in her arms. Always known to be psychologically fragile, Elisabeth fell completely apart. Bed ridden for weeks, guilt stricken and in the throes of a bitter depression we can only guess what must have gone through her mind. If only she had not gone away, perhaps the child would have survived. One might suppose that Elisabeth would never go anywhere near Hungary again. Incredibly though, this did not break the link between them.

Read the rest here...
The Hungarian Child
Old 12-07-2013, 07:18 PM
Royal Highness

Franz Joseph ruled Austria under the name of Franz Joseph I. Are there any documents when he was still the Archduke Franz Joseph, that he would take the name of Franz II as Emperor and not use Joseph?

The Empress Elisabeth's youngest brother is Max Emmanuel. Was Max actually his first name or was Maximilian his first name?

Archduke Ludwig Viktor (Louis Victor) was the youngest brother of Emperor Francis Joseph I. Was there a particular relative Ludwig Viktor was named after?
The Archduchess Marie Valerie of Austria, the daughter of Emperor Franz Joseph I and Empress Elisabeth, loved to write plays and poems. She was a talented amateur artist. She particularly enjoyed painting flowers.

After the death of her son Rudolf in 1889, Empress Elisabeth wore black exclusively.
In Vienna, Emperor Franz Joseph, in 1857, ordered the construction of the Ringstrasse, lined with a series of immense buildings, a process which took more than thirty years to complete.
In Long to Reign?, A. W. Purdue wrote:

Hauntingly beautiful, Empress Elisabeth captivated her Emperor but could not abide the austere formality of the Habsburg court.

I know that Franz Joseph was captivated by Elisabeth.
I know that Elisabeth did not like the formality of the Imperial Court.
I had never heard Elisabeth described as 'hauntingly beautiful'.
Elisabeth is truly beautiful!!

Old 12-07-2013, 10:50 PM
Courtier

Not that I am aware of. It was made clear by his mother while he was still a child that he would rule as FJ to mark a new era. And as always he did what his mother wanted. 😄
Old 12-16-2013, 12:33 AM
Heir Presumptive

Wikipedia lists his name as Maximilian Emanuel. Which would make sense, as their father was also a Maximilian.
Old 04-30-2014, 03:42 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Funeral of Emperor Franz Joseph in 1916

Old 05-20-2014, 12:19 AM
Heir Presumptive

Emperor Franz Joseph I (1830-1916) and Empress Elisabeth (Sissi) (1837-1898)

Any portraits of Franz Joseph when he was young? On google the only thing I can find are photos of him when he is old.
I don't know a lot about him but from the minuscule I have read I feel a little sorry for him and feel he should have listened to his mother and married Helene.
Some of the things she did do seem spoiled and self centered but I definitely do not see her as being like Diana or Marie Antoinette. The latter 2 were uneducated and more into looking pretty than much else; Sissi was clearly vain but she did have a head on her shoulders at least.
Again I do not know enough about Sissi or Franz but it appears superficially that she had some similarities to Alexandra of Russia when it came to being an Empress; both their mother in laws knew they weren't cut out for the job.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 05-20-2014, 04:42 PM
Royal Highness

Franz Joseph as a young man:

www.lessingimages.com/viewimage.asp?i=26010160+&cr=4
Old 05-20-2014, 05:10 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
Any portraits of Franz Joseph when he was young? On google the only thing I can find are photos of him when he is old.
Franz Joseph I of Austria - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
There are some in this wiki article..

In other wiki-articles there are more images, like this with young family
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Si...nd_Gisela.jpeg
Old 11-15-2014, 06:35 PM
Royal Highness

One of the men responsible for Rudolf's education came to Empress Elisabeth begging her for assistance.
The gentleman feared that the military training of the delicate Crown Prince was endangering Rudolf's life.
The Empress presented her husband with a written ultimatum: either she would be in charge of everything concerning the children until their majority or she would leave him.
Franz Joseph gave in.
Old 11-20-2014, 04:15 AM

Do you recognize him?

Or her?