The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Non-Reigning Houses > Royal Families of Germany and Austria > The Imperial House of Habsburg

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-23-2012, 07:06 AM
Royal Highness

I can't remember any double wedding during the past few decades. It seems to be an outdated concept, and I hope that they each will have their own wedding. Each couple should have their own big day.

Old 01-23-2012, 03:50 PM
Nobility

Luxarazzi had a blog post a week or so ago which said that Archduke Imre and Kathleen will marry first and that Archduke Christoph and Adelaide will go second. They are usually very well informed, they wrote about Christoph's engagement months before it was officially announced.

Old 01-23-2012, 04:38 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilia C. View Post
IIRC the family no longer sticks to the old rules for equal marriages. So these marriages will be seen as dynastic.
True.Well,not that it matters that much,Austria isn't and won't be an Empire again....alas...
Old 01-23-2012, 05:20 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
The only ones I can think of:

1793: Duchess Friederike of Mecklenburg-Strelitz and Prince Louis of Prussia; Duchess Luise of Mecklenburg-Strelitz and Crown Prince Friedrich Wilhelm of Prussia.

1818: Edward, Duke of Kent and the dowager Princess of Leiningen ; William, Duke ofClarence and Adelaide of Saxe-Meiningen.

1878: Princess Charlotte of Prussia to hereditairy duke Bernhard of Saxe-Meiningen and of Princess Elisabeth-Anna of Prussia to hereditairy Grand DUke Friedrich-August of Oldenburg.

But there should be many, many more.
In 1951 there was even a double Wedding among siblings when
Duke Anton Günther of Oldenburg married Princess Ameli zu Löwenstein-Freudenberg
and his brother Duke Peter married Amelis's sister princess Gertrud zu Löwenstein-Wertheim-Freudenberg.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 01-23-2012, 05:46 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

I can also think to the double marriages of:
Queen Isabel II of Spain to her cousin Infante Francisco and of her sister Infante Luisa Fernanda to the Duke of Montpensier, on 10 October 1846;
siblings King Francesco I of the Two Sicilies and Princess Luisa respectively to their double first cousins (and siblings too) Archduchess Clementine of Austria and Grand Duke Ferdinando III of Tuscany, on 19 September 1790;
brothers Alexandre de la Rochefoucauld, Duke of Estissac, and Jean de la Rochefoucauld respectively to twin sisters Antoinette and Marie-Agnes de Moustier, on 12 and 14 October 1943.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:25 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saschana View Post
Luxarazzi had a blog post a week or so ago which said that Archduke Imre and Kathleen will marry first and that Archduke Christoph and Adelaide will go second. They are usually very well informed, they wrote about Christoph's engagement months before it was officially announced.
I'm relieved to hear that. This means two weddings to look forward to. I hope that they will announce the dates an location soon. Do you think they'll get married in Brussels like their sister?
Old 01-23-2012, 06:36 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I wonder if members fo the Belgian RF will attend the wedding of AD Imre, considering the comments by Kathleen Walker. Showing up at the wedding of a woman with such opinions may cause some raised eyeborws..... IF the media will pick it up (and they probably won't). I think that for any reigning monarchy this woman could never be allowed to marry & the husband to retain succession rights (save Liechtenstein maybe).... even Sofia Hellqvist seems more suitable by comparison.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:31 PM
Serene Highness

Archduke Lorenz will likely bring along his family to this royal wedding.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:27 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilia C. View Post
Do you think they'll get married in Brussels like their sister?
I believe that their sister was married in Mechelen (Malines), not in Brussels. It will be interesting to see where the weddings will take place; traditionally the location is associated with the bride's family....
Old 01-24-2012, 06:20 AM
Nobility

You are right, Marie-Christine got married in Mechelen. My guess is that they will get married somewhere in Belgium but I'm not sure if it will get as much press as Marie-Christine's and Rodolphe's wedding as the brides aren't from well known as families as the Limburg-Stirum's.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:03 PM
Commoner

Hello! I have read this thread and found it very interesting, indeed. Does anyone know the reason of the absence of the Hereditary Grand Duke Henri, his wife the Grand Duchess Maria Teresa and their eldest son the Hereditary Grand Duke Guillaume from the engagement??? I saw that Princes Felix, Louis and Sebastien and Princess Alexandra were all present. Do you think that the Grand Ducal couple and HGD Guillaume were not in favor of Kathleen Walker???
Old 04-10-2012, 08:27 PM
Heir Apparent

^^^^
I don't know but I suspect if they strongly objected to the engagement their children would not be there.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:36 PM
Nobility

I don't think so, it was probably about clashing appointments; it wasn't like they were the only family members missing: Princess Margaretha was there with her daughter Marie-Astrid while her husband Nikolaus, their daughter Maria-Anunciata and their son Josef-Emanuel weren't. Two of Prince Jean's sons Prince Constantin and Prince Carl-Johan were there while their father, their sister Marie-Gabrielle and their brother Wenceslas were absent. Neither Imre's uncle Guillaume nor his wife Sibilla or children were there.
Imre has 16 cousins on the maternal side and 14 on his father's; probably hard to bring them all together in one place at the same time. I'm looking forward to see as many as them as possible on the wedding day of Imre and Katie and later on at the wedding of Christoph and his fiancee.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:00 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saschana View Post
I'm looking forward to see as many as them as possible on the wedding day of Imre and Katie and later on at the wedding of Christoph and his fiancee.
We still don't know if Imre and Katie marry first.
Old 04-11-2012, 03:49 PM
Nobility

We do. Have a look at post #102: A special edition of Point de Vue about marriages a few weeks ago stated that Imre and Katie will marry before Christoph and Adelaide.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:44 AM
Courtier

this article says Archduke Imre's wedding date has been set!
Old 04-28-2012, 09:38 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Yes, the date is 8 September 2012; the wedding will be celebrated in Washington DC, at the Church of St. Mary the Mother of God.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:14 PM
Nobility

The Church of St. Mary the Mother of God, where the marriage will take place, has a long association with German and Austrian immigrants to the United States, who founded it and also brought works of art to the parish. They celebrate the feast day of Blessed Karl of Austria, great-grandfather of the groom; I think (but am not sure) that it may be the place where Archduke Imre and Miss Walker first met. Does anyone know or remember? I do believe that they first encountered each other at an activity to honor the memory of Karl I of Austria.

Any bets on whether they will be married in a Tridentine Mass -- that is, the liturgy of Pope Pius V (1504-1572) that prevailed before the Vatican II council and is most often said in Latin? It fell largely into disuse for several decades and is now being revived by very conservative Catholics. If I were a betting person, I would wager a good sum on this.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:16 PM
Nobility

Interestingly, the Royalement Blog reports that the wedding will take place in New York, and that the reception will be at the St. Regis Hotel. https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...4201773&type=1

It is the second time that I see this information published. However, Washington, DC, makes much more sense as a venue, given that the bride and groom met there and have been living there. (He was an intern at Atlas, the right-wing "think tank": Interns – Atlas Network).

As far as I know, they have no particular connection to New York, and many of the old nobility of Belgium -- which is his family's most immediate social circle -- often think of NY as the city of crass, ill-mannered, newly rich people. Can anyone clarify the source of the conflicting reports?
Old 05-01-2012, 11:08 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by claypoint2 View Post
The Church of St. Mary the Mother of God, where the marriage will take place, has a long association with German and Austrian immigrants to the United States, who founded it and also brought works of art to the parish. They celebrate the feast day of Blessed Karl of Austria, great-grandfather of the groom; I think (but am not sure) that it may be the place where Archduke Imre and Miss Walker first met. Does anyone know or remember? I do believe that they first encountered each other at an activity to honor the memory of Karl I of Austria.

Any bets on whether they will be married in a Tridentine Mass -- that is, the liturgy of Pope Pius V (1504-1572) that prevailed before the Vatican II council and is most often said in Latin? It fell largely into disuse for several decades and is now being revived by very conservative Catholics. If I were a betting person, I would wager a good sum on this.
Not only is this couple marrying on Sept8th- which the Roman Catholic Church celebrates as the Feast of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin, they are being married in a church consecrated to her. It's pretty safe to assume the bride and groom are very orthodox Catholics indeed.

I came of age after Vatican II and have no memory of the Tridentine Mass, but I have attended several of them and I must admit there is something very mystical and timeless about the Tridentine Mass that is simply missing in the Novus Ordo.

I would not blame them a bit if they select this or der of the Mass for their wedding!