The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Non-Reigning Houses > Royal Families of Germany and Austria > The Imperial House of Habsburg

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-25-2011, 06:20 PM
Aristocracy

Google Translate

Google Translate

Old 12-25-2011, 06:29 PM
Heir Apparent

Congrats to both couples! What a happiness (also for their parents!)

Old 12-25-2011, 06:42 PM
Nobility

I hear you, Ceallach (#20). We will have to wait and see. Marie-Christine, Rodolphe, and little Leopold returned to Belgium for Christmas, so I assumed that Imre and Christoph had done the same... and, since the engagements were just announced in Brussels, I thought that their fiancées were with them as well. But I admit that there are some assumptions here on my part.

Having said that, I would be surprised if Imre's parents were thrilled that he is marrying an American, no matter how Catholic or how spotless her reputation. In spite of sharing moral and religious values (which, I am sure, is the most important thing), there are enormous differences in culture and upbringing between them, and those are also significant. Not to mention that, in the social circle of ADs Carl-Christian and Marie-Astrid, parents have the perennial hope that their children will uphold the family lineage and history by "marrying well"... and by "marrying well" they do not mean marrying an American.

As someone else has said on another site, I hope that Katie really knows what she is doing, and that she is aware of the kind of world that she is marrying into. Just to mention one feature, the question of the dowry will be a very serious one, and this may come as a shock to the Walker family. Let's hope that they are willing and able to give a good sum that will help to "sweeten the pill" for the Habsburgs to accept her. In any event, Imre and Katie's relationship, which apparently is fairly new (approximately one year old by all accounts) will be tested before they marry.
Old 12-26-2011, 01:26 AM
Heir Apparent

Katie Walker seems to heavily involved in the American Pro life Anti abortion movement, and has been involved in protests outside abortion clinics and Planned Parenthood offices. One of the organizations she has been associated with was the national organization that headed up the local groups that were involved with the attacks on abortion clinics and even the killing of doctors that performed abortions. I am not suggesting that she was involved in such criminal activity but she was communications manager for the national group. For such a young lady there is quite a bit of information about her online as well as YouTube interviews.
She may be a lovely young lady but I am glad she is marrying into a defunct royal family. In a reigning monarchy I feel her personal views would be quite controversial in 21st century Europe especially if she used her position to promote those views in the nation. That would be crossing over into the political.JMO.
Old 12-26-2011, 02:01 AM
Aristocracy

It is not just abortion. She also is out of step with the present day church opposing such things as altar girls and still following others such as fish on fridays. She defends the Spanish inquisition which the church has apologized for and then asked for forgiveness. She was raised this way.
Old 12-26-2011, 03:58 AM
Courtier

She also finds that the duty of a married couple is to have as many children as possible.
She is apparently against any form of birth-control.
Even the church allows continence as form of birth-control.
Old 12-26-2011, 05:50 AM
Aristocracy

She says she is against sex education and it is implied she is againt pre-marital sex and contraception. I am catholic and I had to go to pre-marital classes that included a contraception component which included a couple explaining how using acceptable methods they planned for only 3 children and decided when too. The Catholic Church accepts natural family planning such as Serena.

She also wants priests to refuse communion to people who are catholic but do not agree with the church's present stance on abortion (since 1869). Considering, she disagrees with other present day stance's of the Catholic church - this may be hypocritical. And what about the church reversing it's excommunication those involved (including a nun) in allowing a woman to get an abortion to save her life. Will she abide by any changes to the Catholic church's stance on abortion/birth control such as this - where being involved in an abortion no longer means definate excommunication. Also the pope said condoms are allowable to prevent disease but not as a form of birth control.

I suspect that since Imre did/does work as an intern (dec 2010) for Atlas - a right-wing conservative think-tank, he may feel the same as her. Interns to me aren't paid well or at all which also implies they may not be financially ready for marriage.

His opinions may also not reflect his family's views. Plus, even if they may agree personally, they may disagree with her approach and activism. While very Catholic, his cousin HGD Guillaume of Luxembourg in a recent interview implied a strong personal adherence to the seperation of church and state and that he disagreed with his father's reaction to the state regarding euthanasia laws years ago.

http://atlasnetwork.org/blog/2010/10/internships/
http://atlasnetwork.org/blog/2011/10/cheer-up-america-the-case-for-american-optimism/
Old 12-26-2011, 06:30 AM
Courtier

Reading this I am happy she is not the Pope
Old 12-26-2011, 07:54 AM
Heir Presumptive

Imre’s Grandfather Archduke Cart Ludwig was totally against the wedding of his nephew Karl with Francesca Thyssen B. He did not attend the wedding and the wedding failed !
They are more speaking abroad about Katie. In Belgium she is unknown.
Archdukes Christian and Marie Astrid are living a real family life, I think they did not expect all this threads about Katie..
Old 12-26-2011, 12:48 PM
Serene Highness

Are people still doing the dowry thing in 2011? Also, I would hope that if a dowry was expected, that was discussed before an engagement.

"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife" Pride and Prejudice
Old 12-26-2011, 12:51 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjetajiem View Post
Reading this I am happy she is not the Pope
Well she probably would not approve of female priests or popes anyway
Old 12-26-2011, 02:19 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
Archdukes Christian and Marie Astrid are living a real family life, I think they did not expect all this threads about Katie..
If they didn't realize the public actions and the jobs of their future daughter-in-law would be a matter of discussion, they are a bit naive IMHO.
Old 12-26-2011, 05:19 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurberryBrit View Post
Are people still doing the dowry thing in 2011? Also, I would hope that if a dowry was expected, that was discussed before an engagement.
To answer your question: in certain circles, yes. The subject typically comes up between the engagement and the marriage, and it is not necessarily discussed beforehand. Of course, in those circles the question of the dowry is known and expected, so it is not a surprise. Quite different from the United States, where it will likely come as a shock to Miss Walker's family.
Old 12-26-2011, 05:59 PM
Nobility

I would doubt very much that there would be any expectation of a dowry from katie's parents.The last time i heard of such a thing was when Marie Chantal married the crown prince of the greek royal house and even then it wasn't exactly a dowry.Her father gave her $250,00,000 dollars to set her up for married life and I have no doubt that the money is hers and would not be part of a settlement if they divorced.
Old 12-26-2011, 06:32 PM
Aristocracy

Katie is not an archduchess yet ... the wedding has not taken place ... but she will be when she marries!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmpressRouge View Post
I actually know people who graduated from Northern Kentucky University. HI&H Archduchess Kathleen (nee Walker): sounds like something out of an Edith Wharton novel.
Old 12-26-2011, 06:36 PM
Aristocracy

I doubt that the family does doweries these days ... Katie, in one article, said she was born to a single mother, who later married Robert Walker (not sure if he is Katie's natural father.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by claypoint2 View Post
I hear you, Ceallach (#20). We will have to wait and see. Marie-Christine, Rodolphe, and little Leopold returned to Belgium for Christmas, so I assumed that Imre and Christoph had done the same... and, since the engagements were just announced in Brussels, I thought that their fiancées were with them as well. But I admit that there are some assumptions here on my part.

Having said that, I would be surprised if Imre's parents were thrilled that he is marrying an American, no matter how Catholic or how spotless her reputation. In spite of sharing moral and religious values (which, I am sure, is the most important thing), there are enormous differences in culture and upbringing between them, and those are also significant. Not to mention that, in the social circle of ADs Carl-Christian and Marie-Astrid, parents have the perennial hope that their children will uphold the family lineage and history by "marrying well"... and by "marrying well" they do not mean marrying an American.

As someone else has said on another site, I hope that Katie really knows what she is doing, and that she is aware of the kind of world that she is marrying into. Just to mention one feature, the question of the dowry will be a very serious one, and this may come as a shock to the Walker family. Let's hope that they are willing and able to give a good sum that will help to "sweeten the pill" for the Habsburgs to accept her. In any event, Imre and Katie's relationship, which apparently is fairly new (approximately one year old by all accounts) will be tested before they marry.
Old 12-26-2011, 09:45 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarleneKoenig View Post
Katie, in one article, said she was born to a single mother, who later married Robert Walker (not sure if he is Katie's natural father.)
Ah. If this is true, then from a psychological standpoint the circumstances of her birth offer a possible explanation for the degree of her militancy against abortion. Of course we don't know what choices her mother did or didn't face, but it's easy to imagine that Katie feels - perhaps more than most people - grateful for the gift of life. (This is not to defend some of her extreme, exclusionary points of view, but rather to try to understand her human story... impossible as it is without knowing her).
Old 12-27-2011, 12:04 AM
Heir Apparent

I am not too surprised to see Archduke Imre and Archduke Christoph downgrading the bloodline. Marriage for love is in vogue nowadays. It would be advisable for Ms. Walker to tone her personal stance on abortion down as her rumbustious tone is quite unpleasant.
Old 12-27-2011, 04:20 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
Alas, no new Sternkreuzordens-Archduchesses for the House of Habsburg-Lothringen, as those ladies need to have 16 noble ancestors.... Seems modern times even come to the more "noble" branches of the family as well as they came to Otto and his ilk.
While of course I want people to marry whome they love, I too am very disapointed in the choices
Old 12-27-2011, 01:25 PM
Aristocracy

More info from this site on couples.

Google Translate