Death of HI&RH Archduke Felix (1916 - 6 September 2011)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MAfan

Super Moderator
Site Team
City
N/A
Country
Italy
AustriaArms1a.gif

Death of HI&RH Archduke Felix (1916-2011)

HI&RH Archduke Felix of Austria, Prince of Hungary and Bohemia, the fourth child of Emperor Karl and Empress Zita, died yesterday evening in Mexico, aged 95.
After the death of his brother Otto in July, he was the last surviving child of the Emperor and the Empress.

He married in 1952 to Princess and Duchess Anna Eugenie of Arenberg, with whom had three sons and four daughters. Archduchess Anna Eugenie died in 1997, and one of their sons, Raimund, predeceased his father in 2008.

The European Royals Message Board: HIRH Archduke Felix

Last edited by a moderator:
How awful, and so soon after Otto. May he rest in peace.

And then there was none... So sad to think no one from that generation is left, an era has passed :sad:

The Archduke was already too weak to travel to his brothers funeral in July. Where in Mexico did he live*? And do any of his children live there too? He seems to have been the most low-key of the 5 brothers (perhaps because he didn't live in Europe he attended less family events), as are his children.

I wonder where he will be burried. i believe there is only 1 spot left in the Imperial Crypt, which is reserved for ADss Karl-Ludwig AFAIK. Where has Archduchess Anna Eugenie been burried?

Does anybody know how his son AD Raimund died? An illnes or an accident? He must have been fairly young.

* Edit: according to wikipedia he lived in thearea of San Ángel in Mexico City.

Last edited:
The Archduke was already too weak to travel to his brothers funeral in July. Where in Mexico did he live*? And do any of his children live there too? He seems to have been the most low-key of the 5 brothers (perhaps because he didn't live in Europe he attended less family events), as are his children.

I wonder where he will be burried. i believe there is only 1 spot left in the Imperial Crypt, which is reserved for ADss Karl-Ludwig AFAIK. Where has Archduchess Anna Eugenie been burried?

Does anybody know how his son AD Raimund died? An illnes or an accident? He must have been fairly young.

* Edit: according to wikipedia he lived in thearea of San Ángel in Mexico City.

His daughter Miriam is married to an mexican Jaime Cercuerra Acherson and i believe the also live in Mexico. Archduke Felix also was to weak to attend the funerals of Ardchduchess Regina and Archduke Rudolf last year. I think the last Family occasion he attended in Europe was the funeral of his brother Carl Ludwig.
Archduchess Anna Eugenie is buried at Kloster Muri in Switzerlands where are also Archduke Robert and Archduke Rudolf are buried. So i guess Archduke Felix will also be buried there.

That's sad news :( May he join his brother in heaven. May God rest their souls :easter:

Sad news! It will be interesting to learn where the late Archduke will be buried, though.

May he rest in peace.

Rest In Peace :sad: my condolince for archduke family :ermm:

Rest in peace.
He is now in the heaven with his Blessed father and soon to be blessed mother, and siblings, and son.

Yes, her beatification process started in December 2009 and is currently in course.

Yes I think Kloster Muri is a good guess for Felix' burial. Only yesterday I read that in the future the Habsburgs will be buried there again. Zita's and Karl's hearts are already there and the Habsburgs have a long and very strong traditional relationship with Muri.

May he rest in peace. My condolences to the imperial and royal family of Austria.

did I miss something? Is there serious talk about the beautification of Empress Zita?

The cause of beatification was opened in December 2009.

I am a bit puzzled concerning the grandchildren of the late Emperor Charles of Austria.
I am thinking about Archduke Simeon who married a Princess of Bourbon Siciles, and another Archduke who marries a Princess of Wrede. Who was their father ?
Thanks for answer

Archduke Simeon married Maria Paloma Diana Irene: her father is Carlos Maria Alfonso Marcel, Duke of Calabria (b.1938)

Two Sicilies

Archduke Karl Peter married Alexandra Elisabeth Sophie Maria Caspara: her father is Carl Friedrich Oskar Melchior, Furst von Wrede (b.1942)

Wrede

Both Archdukes are sons of Archduke Rudolph.

Thanks Biri , so they are Archduke Rudolf's children from his first wedding.

May he rest in peace.

The funeral is the first occasion where Archduke Karl can appear in his new position as the senior member of his house. I'm curious how he will go about it for this will tell if the glorious times of the family have really died with his father or not.

The Archduke was already too weak to travel to his brothers funeral in July.

Well, it was not just the case that he was already to weak to travel to Otto's funeral, AD Felix didn't have the permission to enter Austria. He never gave up his claim to the Austrian throne. By the way it was the same case with a second brother of AD Otto, I think it was AD Carl Ludwig as far as I recall ......

Well, it was not just the case that he was already to weak to travel to Otto's funeral, AD Felix didn't have the permission to enter Austria. He never gave up his claim to the Austrian throne. By the way it was the same case with a second brother of AD Otto, I think it was AD Carl Ludwig as far as I recall ......

But AD Felix attended the funeral of his brother Carl Ludwig a few years ago in Vienna.

Yeah well, that was a typical Austrian solution. He had a special permission then to enter Austria for this occasion. The same was the case with Empress Zita when she visited Austria in 1982 after more than 60 years in exile ......

In Austria we have exceptions for every rule,that´s why it´s such a good place to live ;-)

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Do we have an idea of when his mass will take place?

yep, according to the article in "Neues Volksblatt" he will buried - as we all have already assumed - in the Monastery Muri in Switzerland where his parents' hearts are kept. An exact date has not been set yet but probably by the end of September. Neues Volksblatt

...AD Felix didn't have the permission to enter Austria. He never gave up his claim to the Austrian throne...
It certainly would have been 'interesting' to watch the Austrian authorities refuse to allow a frail 95-year old gentleman to cross the border and enter the country to attend his brother's funeral on the grounds that he was considered - in 2011 - to be a threat to the stability of the Austrian State. :popcorn:

As I mentioned above an exception was already made at Empress Zita's funeral when Felix and Carl Ludwig were allowed to stay 3 days in Austria. And in later years but most definitely after 1996 they were several times in Austria (mostly for family affairs or for court matters concerning the lost properties here in Austria) and every time they did have a special permission to enter the state. The late President Dr. Thomas Klestil found the Habsburg laws already that ridiculous that he granted them their special permissions every time. The articles about this matter are somewhat confusing 'cause technically the late President broke with the Austrian constitution by doing so and Felix and Carl Ludwig never gave up the claim to the throne although several newspapers are claiming otherwise..... . So I should have written in the above post: Felix didn't have the permission to enter Austria but I am convinced IF he had wanted to visit Otto's funeral nobody would have denied him that right ;-) That's the way such things are handled in our pretty state.

Have I missed his funeral? I know Kit said around the end of September but as it's the beginning of October now and nothing has been posted recently... :ermm:

Back
Top Bottom