Death and Funeral of HI&RH Archduke Otto (1912-2011)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Actually three friars of the Abbey taught him in exile in Spain. He only visited the Abbey in 1990 then and in 2002 called himself a Benedictine student and was honourary president of the Benedictine students' association

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks to everyone for help. I will visit these places as soon as possible.

RIP Otto

@ Johan Salvator,no,that was what you meant and what I read,and the Crypt,really,is closed for further funerals as was stated by the Habsburg Family.Then one shouldn't question that,they know best.:).

Again, that is not what I meant. I was talking about the possibility of another remarkable Habsburg like AD Otto living a remarkable life and at the moment of its death being honoured the way he was. Would that person be buried at the crypt, of scattered its ashes in the Danube was not my point. I did not mean to question the information you posted which I am sure is 100% correct.:)

Nope. He ran as "independent" with a party in the 2008 EU elections and though he was 2nd in the national list, he didn't get to Brussels. The party got out of parliament in 2010 and is rarely heard of.

He has been president of the Hungarian Red Cross nonetheless for a number of years now.

He is a very successful TV-producer owning his own station there. He learned this business in Germany at one of Germany's state stations.

I thought that his coffin would be on the horse carriage and took along the procession route same as his mother's. They should have taken his coffin into some kind of carriage.

RIP, Seine kaiserliche und konigliche Majestat!!!

They were thinking about taking a carriage, but it was much easier the way it was handled.

If I don't mistake, Archduke Otto himself didn't want the old Imperial hearse (the one used at Zita's funeral) to be used to carry his coffin.

He is a very successful TV-producer owning his own station there. He learned this business in Germany at one of Germany's state stations.

No, he sold his shares in 2002 (the station - TV2 - started broadcast in 1997)

Prince Jaime was hardly representing his aunt, Queen Beatrix, because he is not a member of the Royal Family of the Netherlands.
Princess Irene of the Netherlands and her children are considered members of the Dutch Royal Family (but they are not members of the Royal House, as they are not in the line of succession to the throne, in contrast with Irene's sister, Princess Margaret and her children) and it is quite possible that Queen Beatrix was represented at the funeral by her nephew.

Last edited:
Princess Irene of the Netherlands and her children are considered members of the Dutch Royal Family (but they are not members of the Royal House, as they are not in the line of succession to the throne, in contrast with Irene's sister, Princess Margaret and her children) and it is quite possible that Queen Beatrix was represented at the funeral by her nephew.

Sorry,no.Like I said before HM did convey her condolence,but the Dutch RF was not represented.The Duke and Prince Jaime were there representing the House de Bourbon Parma,and,again,they are related as their grandfather was the brother of Empress Zita.

but if jaime was not representing his aunt, why was he seated on the 2nd row in the part for reigning families and other government officials? If he was only there as a member of the BP family, he would be seated with his brother. The same happened to princess Michael.

Prince Jaime of Bourbon-Parma in the second row and the Kings of Romania and Bulgaria in the third row....That's a respected order of precedence ????

If Jaime was there representing the Queen of the Netherlands, then yes, it was a respected order of precedence.
And however, it would be rather odd and unlikely that they respected protocol and order of precedence with all the guests but Prince Jaime. I'm pretty sure that if Jaime was seat there, it means that there was some reason that justifies it.

Here are two links from the London MailOnline.
The written content is so-so but the pictures, especially in the second link, are certainly worthwhile.

Otto von Habsburg: Son of Austria-Hungary's last ever emperor dies aged 98 | Mail Online

End of Royal dynasty as Otto von Habsburg is laid to rest... and his heart is buried in a crypt 85 miles away in different country | Mail Online

v a screen shot from the BBC broadcast showing the Benedictine Abbey of Pannonhalma where the late Archduke Otto's heart was interred.

Attachments

• Funeral 2011 AD Otto, Benedictine Abbey of Pannonhalma, Hungary.jpg
    Funeral 2011 AD Otto, Benedictine Abbey of Pannonhalma, Hungary.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 184
Last edited:
by the way Otto's last will still has to be revealed. Rumour has it that the pistol with which CP Rudolp shot himself and his mistress in 1889 was in Otto's possession and will now be released to historians so that a few unsolved details can finally be clarified.

The strange order of precedence reflects lack of proffesionalism or what?

The strange order of precedence reflects lack of proffesionalism or what?
In an interview Karl Habsburg-Lothringen said that it was very difficult to place the guests as there were a lot who only wnated to come if they could sit in a place in the front rows and that he had a hard time trying to place all guests all in a place where they were okay with. Especially as there was no fixed protocoll that could have helped. So I guess the kings and other Royal guests of the third row were just gracious mourners who didn't mind while others insisted on certain more prominent places...

Nothing was really respected and the order of precedence in no way...Obviously the House of Habsburg didn't have the time to organize something serious from this point of view.

Thanks for posting this article.
However, I don't quite share the authors' view on the EU and Germany.

Any comparison between the Third Reich and today's Germany within the EU is incorrect.

Thank you very much Kasumi for the interesting article.

I must say that the author and that publication have a funny view of the future. To claim that Germany through the EU, is taken control of Europe is far away from the reality of German politics, even the right-wing politicians, and don't ask the German tax payers!

The dying euro, the almost non-existent EU diplomacy, the literally non-existent EU military and the Vatican :lol: are not going to take over Europe. No worries :)

I just found out that among the royalty to attend AD Otto's funeral was Crown Prince Nicholas II of Montenegro. It was his first public role as an official representative of Montenegro. Very good news for the monarchist cause!

I hope Otto won't be the last Habsburg to be buried there.

AFAIK the crypt is definately full.

And in the future the members of the Imperial Family will be buried where?

I hope Otto won't be the last Habsburg to be buried there.
Cory it has been explained in this thread _several times_ that the last Habsburg to be buried in the crypt would be Archduchess Yolande, spouse of late Archduke Carl Ludwig.
Would you please read the thread (Lucien's posts) before asking the same questions again and again.:flowers:

I just learned that there will be a Solemn Requiem Mass today, 30 July 2011, at 1:00 p.m. for the repose of the soul of Otto von Habsburg at the Church of the Holy Innocents, 128 W 37th St, New York, New York. (Between Broadway and Seventh Avenue.) The Mass setting will be the traditional Gregorian Chant.

Back
Top Bottom