Death and Funeral of HI&RH Archduke Otto (1912-2011)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:imperialaustria:

I just take this from the previous page of the thread as it contains the ORF link to the LIVE coverage of the Requiem at the Stephans Dom,Vienna,tomorrow afternoon,so no-one has to search for it.ORF will also air some of the funerary procession afterwards when the remains of the late Archduke Otto will be placed on a catafalque and pulled by the Schützen from the Stephansdom to the Kohlmarkt,the Hofburg and then on the Ring to the Neuen Markt where the Kapuziner crypt is located at.Archduchess Regina will remain at the Kapuziner church while the Requiem in the Dom takes place and will be re-united with Archduke Otto upon his arrival at the Crypt after which they will be interred together with only the immediate Family in attendance.

The remains of Archduchess Regina will not be moved to the Stephans Dom as she allready had a Requiem last year february when she passed away,the Requiem last wednesday in Mariazell being the exception.

This evening,as I said,the Jewish community of Vienna will honour the late Archduke with a special service at the Temple of Vienna at 19.00PM.HI & RH Archduke Karl will be in attendance and speech.

There was a question at almost the beginning of the thread about whether or not the Austrians would remember the Habsburgs.I answered then certainly the Viennese would with their sense of history and respect for the late Archduke.Now,seeing the thousands who came to the Capuchin Church from all over Austria as well as Hungary,the Czech republic,formerly Bohemia,Croatia and Bosnia-Herzegowina,from Slovenia,Tirol and all the Lands once under Habsburg Reign to pay their last respect,and the people standing in line to pay their respect this morning.Very moving,and well deserved.Yes,the Austrians still do know the Habsburg Family,and they do pay their respect to their last Crown Prince.Many thousand are expected to line the streets of Vienna for the last ever Imperial funeral almost simular to when the Austrian-Hungarian Empire was still in tact.

:habsburg::austria-hungary:

Last edited by a moderator:
I will always think of Otto von Habsburg as a truly ecumenical being.

Many speak of ecumenism, but he made it come alive.

Absolutely. He was an unique personnality.
He went through the most important century of the history of his countries, and he understood how to adapt and to be the first and the best oecumenical Democratic.

:imperialaustria:

More images of the last week,from the Requiem in Pöcking last saturday,to the Requiem in Mariazell last wednesday.Impressive images of the farewell of not only Archduke Otto,but of an era.A farewell that will find it's conclusion tomorrow with the interment at the Imperial Crypt,and finally,the interment of the Heart at Pannonhalma,Hungary,on sunday july 17th.

The Requiem at Pöcking last saturday:

Eindrücke vom Requiem für Dr. Otto von Habsburg in Pöcking am 9.7.2011 - a set on Flickr

The ceremony of the Chevalier d' Ordre de la Legion d'Honneur,Pöcking:

Verleihung des Großkreuzes der französischen Ehrenlegion (2011-07-08) - a set on Flickr

The Requiem at the Theatinerkirche Munich last monday:

Requiem in München für Otto von Habsburg - a set on Flickr

The Requiem at the Basilica,Mariazell last wednesday,the grandchildren doing the Readings:

Requiem Mariazell - a set on Flickr

Truly,a document.

Courtesy Ms.Eckertz

I think I recognise three orders

Found this image over at Flickr:

Wien Kapuzinerkirche (19) | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

How many civil and religious orders can you identify?

Wow.

The very top right is the collar of the Order of the Golden Fleece.
The fourth from the left in the second top row is the Supreme Order of Annunziata (sp?) which is a Savoy-Italy dynastic order.
In the third row, all the way to the right, is the Italian Republic's Order of Merit.

Are most of those right? Definitely an impressive collection Otto deserved.:)

Well said, Renata. He seems to have been an exceptional person in many ways. Among others, he honored his belief system and the traditions of his family while at the same time tolerating, respecting, and embracing others. He has always struck me as a deeply moral man with a compassionate, expansive view of human beings and the world. It is heart-warming to learn that so many people are duly honoring him.

Last edited:
claypoint2 I know this will sound almost bizarre, but I find it amazing that the Habsburg dynasty managed - towards its end - to produce such a human being - and family member!

Therefore, the many orders of merit do not really touch me; they almost seem a side-show in the overall estimation of the man.

Hello, I am currently at the airport where my flight to Vienna has been canceled for good. This wasn't supposed to happen, at least not to someone like me. It is with the greatest sorrow that I'm sending this message to the rest royal watchers from all over the world, to share my feelings at this very moment that I'm gradually realising I will not be able to make it there. I will not attend the last Kaiser's funeral, although I gave a promise openly in my last post at this very same thread. Words would dramatically fail to describe my embarrassment and remorse, I reckon I wouldn't go that far, if I told you that I am about to have a nervous breakdown. @Blackadder How sweet of you to kindly offer accomodation to a fellow RF friend! How could I ever thank you enough for your fidelity and disinterestedness! You have just shown in front of everyone's eyes what true nobility is made of, my dear. ;) I will contact you privately now. Good night to everyone.

Thanks for the video. The celebrant's vestments are beautiful.

Are any of the service booklets from any of the Reequiems online? And, if ORF starts broadcasting at 12.10 Vienna time, that will be 7.10 or 8.10 New York time? (I always get confused on converting from one time zone to another!)

Are any of the service booklets from any of the Reequiems online? And, if ORF starts broadcasting at 12.10 Vienna time, that will be 7.10 or 8.10 New York time? (I always get confused on converting from one time zone to another!)
It's a 6 hour difference from Vienna to New York. I hope that helps.

No worries, Renata4711. I can easily understand how you feel that way. And I also agree with kmarian: if we look to Archduke Otto's exceptional father, Karl I, it is perhaps easy to understand how the family produced such a remarkable man as Otto.

Last edited:

ORF starts broadcasting with a documentary on aristocratic funerals at 12.10PM,so that's 06.10AM in NYC.

The Requiem starts at 15.00PM local time,09.00AM EST.

No,there are no nor will be online "booklets",
if not in attendance in person= no " booklet"...

Just wanted to add that it's ORF2E who broadcasts it via satellite. Normally all ORF programm is not openly visible except those programmes where ORF has the international rights. That's due to the fact that ORF and other German stations often share their program rights for the German language and ORF is only allowed to use it in Audtria. Thus any Austrian or person living there who pays the taxes for TV and radio get their key card for the program, while the rest of the German speaking world can't see it. So it's good that the ORF has the rights to the transmission of the funeral.

In 23 October 1989 CBC radio interviewed Archduke Otto. This was replayed last week on the following podcast, the interview was from the 17th to the 21st minutes of a total of 26 minutes program. Although short is a treat to listen to Otto's voice, his passion and intelligent replies to the naive questions of the journalist. Enjoy: Audio

Many thanks for making this available ! You made him come alive for me :)

I've been meaning to ask: the banner on his coffin is that the banner that the Kaisers used or a different one?

Thank you!

I am surprised HM King Mihai I is not near the swedish royal couple in the first desk but in the third one near Princess Astrid of Belgium...

:previous:
No,not surprised at all.King Mihai is not a ruling Monarch,like HM King Carl XVI Gustav is.Protocol is strict,and all know that.
Heads of State and Heads of Governments ( PM's) have precedence,always.

I've been meaning to ask: the banner on his coffin is that the banner that the Kaisers used or a different one?
The Imperial banner.

Always a bit taken aback when I see Europeans stand after the consecration since we here in the US kneel throughout the whole of the Canon.

The Cardinal is wearing his Golden Fleece knighthood symbol. What's he saying about "Gott erhalte?"

In English that tune is sung to "Holy God we praise thy name." Anyone know what the German lyrics are?

Did I hear correctly that the Archbishop of Prague was present?

I noticed that the President did not sing "Gott Erhalte!" Does the Austrian President actually live in the Hofburg or just have an office there?

Now a military salute in Hero's Plaza? The Republic is going all out! The commentators are going on and on about monarchy and form of government. My German is no where near good enough to keep up. It sounds interesting, though.

Prince Hassan of Jordan was in the second desk and the Kings of Romania and Bulgaria in the third?

Today the real Austria is really present.The austrians should understand how much they had lost abolishing the Monarchy.The real symbol of Austria is the imperial House of Habsburg! A real imperial funeral, wonderful music.

I didn't understand the homily of HE Cardinal Cristoph von Schonborn but I suppose he spoke about the whole life of the late Archduke. There were bishops from Austria,Hungary,Czech R., Slovenia,Slovakia,...

In a real democracy a surname should be respected and not see this shameful cut off of "von".The austrian republicans still apply a non-democratical law that forbids the use of "von".They really fear to call the dead Archduke Otto von Habsburg and they continue with their "Otto Habsburg". The republicans still fear the restoration of the Habsburgs that's why they still mantain non-democratical laws of 1919.

He was the last Crown Prince of Austro-Hungary but his elder son could become the Emperor of Austria.I suppose many austrians think Monarchy could be a better solution for Austria. I noticed everybody was very respectful (with the exception of the problem of the surname continously repeated without "von") and the Habsburgs seem to me quite popular despite of a so long republican campaign.

Back
Top Bottom