The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-09-2011, 10:32 AM
Heir Presumptive

He deserves to have National Funerals in Austria , I remember seing HM Empress Zita funerals and was so impressed. But Lucien nowadays do you think Austrian people still remember the last Emperor and his eldest Son ?
Only now a posthume french Decoration!

Old 07-09-2011, 10:46 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
Interesting that Germany as well as Austria does not have titles anymore, but still our Prime Minister of Bavaria (which is one of the Federal States of Germany and the one Otto von Habsburg lived in) signs a death announcement for "His Imperial and Royal Highness Dr. Otto von Habsburg"... if he chose to use this style, shouldn't he have added the Archduke of Austria as well?
I think it might be due to the fact that "Dr. Otto von Habsburg" was his legal name in Germany and as far as I know the name written in his (German) passport.

Old 07-09-2011, 11:28 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
He deserves to have National Funeral in Austria , I remember seing HM Empress Zita funerals and was so impressed. But Lucien nowadays do you think Austrian people still remember the last Emperor and his eldest Son ?
Only now a posthume french Decoration!

Indeed a little late Maria-Olivia,but the Order from France,allthough posthumously,is more then he ever had from Austria during his lifetime,except for the State Funeral now,another honour,posthumously.But with or without them,he was HI & RH Archduke Otto,the last Crown Prince of Austria-Hungary,Royal Prince of Hungary and Bohemia etc etc etc,but listened just as friendly when adressed as Herr Habsburg,or von Habsburg or Imperial Highness,he was a friendly and warm personality in all cases.Officially titles are not in use anymore,but in social life all are very much still in use,not that that bothered the late Archduke much,he was and remained a Habsburg at all times,with or without a predicate or title before his name,the name Habsburg was/is a title on itself.

You might be surprised as to how the Austrians,but especially the Viennese are proud of their history,and as the late Archduke once said;"Viennese are a barock people",they know of the Habsburg Family allthough I suppose there is hardly anyone alive these days who really can recall the days of the Empire as that was abolished,illegally,93 years ago,only a few.A few like the late Archduke himself was,living History,the last link to an era long gone,unfortunately....But the State Funeral is such occasion the Viennese will unite in their historical sense as well as their respect for the late Archduke.Vienna would have been another Austrian village today without the majesty and elegance of the buildings erected under Habsburg rule,and the Viennese " love to show off" with all of it.The Habsburgs are omnipotent,to this day.

Old 07-09-2011, 11:30 AM
Nobility

Austrian national tv station ORF will air the Requiem LIVE on saturday july 16th so there is hope to get a good link here on the web.

Bavarian tv will air the Requiem at the Theatinerkirche,Munich on monday morning the 11th.

Many thanks Lucien for your great information!!
Please, if you or someone in this forum get the link to wacht the live broadcast, let me know. I am really interested in watching it !!
Old 07-09-2011, 11:57 AM
Nobility

Quote:
The full title of the HRE was "Holy Roman Empire of German nation" (Sacrum Romanum Imperium Nationis Germanicæ) and it formed when Rome and Italy belonged to it, between 900 and 1000. The idea was that the medieval rulers of it wanted to show that they continued the tradition of the west-roman empire in a christian way according to roman canonical laws (as a contrast to the byzantinian east-roman empire which was orthodox christian).

I don't want to go into too much history and it is true what you quote here from Voltaire: in the end it was neither Holy, Roman or an empire (though this point can be discussed when you consider the Habsburg-kingdoms as real parts of it - but then we discuss the Germanness...). But that was after the Empire had been established for more than 800 years and at a time when all around it national states had been formed.

But it sure was the idea to have an empire in which peace was protected and the borders were save while in it semi-independant states formed a unit which allowed for individual rule but to have common laws and one highest liege lord as the emperor who was voted by the most senior of rulers.

If you've gone to a German school, you know much more about it and if not, there is no need IMHO to know much more, once you're not a history buff.
Thank you indeed, Kataryn. This history is most interesting and, I think, very important to know in the context of the present thread. I suspect that Archduke Otto would be among the first to say that, in order to understand and honor his life, one has to know and understand his family's history and social-political contexts over time, which are so deeply entwined with the history of Europe in general and the Holy Roman Empire in particular. So thank you for teaching or reminding us of these historical facts. To my eye, you provided just the right amount of information... not too much, not too little.
Old 07-09-2011, 12:41 PM
Majesty

Pöcking,Bavaria this afternoon,the first in a series of five Requiems was held.Besides the Habsburg Family hundreds accompanied the coffin with remains of the late Archduke from the Church of St.Ulrich through the village of Pöcking to the church of St.Pius.Other family friends in attendance were,ao,Fürstin Gloria von Thurn & Taxis,and Endre and Christine Esterhazy

http://www.anp-photo.com/search.pp?p...16005024&pos=1

http://www.anp-photo.com/search.pp?p...16005030&pos=3

http://www.anp-photo.com/search.pp?p...16005029&pos=2

http://www.anp-photo.com/search.pp?p...16005032&pos=4

Old 07-09-2011, 06:18 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucien View Post
The French Republic has posthumously bestowed the late Archduke Otto with the Chevalier de Ordre National de la Legion d'Honneur,the highest possible Order of the Republique Francaise.The Order was handed out to the eldest son and heir of the deceased,the Archduke Karl,at the foot of the coffin of Archduke Otto,Pöcking Bavaria yesterday by the Grand Maître of the Ordre National de la Legion d'Honneur,French Forces General Jean Louis Georgelin.

The Order is bestowed to honour the work of Archduke Otto for a united Europe and for enhancing French - German relations.
Can you tell us Is there any photo's or video's of the handover Legion d' Honneur ceremony.
Is the any links to sites of the announcement of the Legion d' Honneur
Has the Elysee Palace said anything about Archduke Otto.
Old 07-09-2011, 07:09 PM
Nobility

Here is an article with a very small picture of it.
Kathnews - Rom und die Welt

You an also find various photos of the handover on Flickr (it's the stream of ottovonhabsburg.org so I guess it will also have pictures of the funeral and all the other events leading up to it coming up)
Flickr: Ottovonhabsburg.org's Photostream
Old 07-09-2011, 07:39 PM
Majesty

Video of the Requiem in the St.Pius,Pöcking Bavaria this afternoon:

http://www.br-online.de/bayrisches-f...equestid=71632

Thank you Sashana for the links!..:))
Old 07-10-2011, 05:53 AM
Gentry

What a grand event! I wish I could be in Vienna next week to be one of the many thousands paying respects to Otto and Regina.

Any news about members of the Spanish royals attending? They should attend...
Old 07-10-2011, 06:09 AM
Gentry

Quote:
...You sure of that? <looking very sceptical> I live not far from the Austrian border in Bavaria and I personally doubt that.. Yes, there are bonds, strong bonds but it's a bit like siblings - together against the world (especially Prussia and Prussians) but non-stop at war with each other.
I'm not sure at all. I only know Austria and Southern Germany as a tourist, and I think I got carried away by the love I have for that part of the world. I just happen to know a few people from Bavaria and Austria and they often mention geting along better between them than with Northeners. Love your passion about history, I am the same, although your knowledge is far greater! :-)
Old 07-10-2011, 08:33 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johann Salvator View Post
What a grand event! I wish I could be in Vienna next week to be one of the many thousands paying respects to Otto and Regina.

Any news about members of the Spanish royals attending? They should attend...

No news from Spain yet,no.Depends on who's invited by the Family.

TI & RH Archduke Lorenz of Habsburg - Este and Archduchess Astrid,néé Princess of Belgium,will represent the Belgian Royal Family at the funeral on saturday july 16th.

Old 07-10-2011, 12:32 PM
Nobility

They invited about 1000 guests to the funeral in Vienna, about 300 of them are Habsburgs. The president of the republic of Austria will attend, as well as some other Austrian politicians. Hopefully, we will also see some foreign royals and nobles paying their last respect to Otto von Habsburg besides the Fürst of Liechtenstein who has already confirmed his attendance. According to some newspapers, the Grand Duke of Luxembourg, the King of Spain and the King of Belgium were invited but haven't confirmed yet.
Old 07-10-2011, 12:47 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by claypoint2 View Post
Thank you indeed, Kataryn. To my eye, you provided just the right amount of information... not too much, not too little.
Thank you very much!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johann Salvator View Post
Love your passion about history, I am the same, although your knowledge is far greater! :-)
Thank you, too, for your kind post. And contact me via PM when you come to Germany or Austria. Maybe I can show you some rather unknown "jewels" of our history.
Old 07-10-2011, 03:54 PM
Heir Presumptive

Strange that Herzog Franz von Bayern was not there.
Old 07-10-2011, 04:03 PM
Heir Apparent

Is thre any chance of someone from the British Royals to attend?
Old 07-10-2011, 04:29 PM
Heir Presumptive

After his statements of renunciation of the '60s he used to call himself just Dr.Otto von Habsburg.
Old 07-10-2011, 05:15 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renata4711 View Post
Is thre any chance of someone from the British Royals to attend?
Princess Michael of Kent will attend the funeral in Vienna, although I don't know if she will officially represent the British Royal Family or she will be there privately.
Old 07-10-2011, 11:45 PM
Gentry

Lucien, thanks for your answer and for keeping us up-to-date!
Old 07-11-2011, 03:59 AM
Nobility

Link for the Requiem of today:
Video | BR-Mediathek | BR

Tags
archduke otto, death, funeral, habsburg, vienna