The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-18-2011, 02:01 AM
Gentry

That is not what I meant. Thanks for the video, it was beautiful.

Old 07-18-2011, 02:29 AM
Commoner

Is it the old tradition of the Habsburg that seperate the heart and and body? The Otto's heart was buried in Hungary while his body laid in Austria. I would like to know the reason why?

Old 07-18-2011, 06:31 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandrovich View Post
Is it the old tradition of the Habsburg that seperate the heart and and body? The Otto's heart was buried in Hungary while his body laid in Austria. I would like to know the reason why?

Yes,it is a centuries old tradition by the House of Habsburg to separate the heart and the body ( and in the old old days also the intestines..).
The tradition to seperate the one and the other was already started in medieval times by what were to be the founders of the Habsburg Dynasty.

The bodies were almost always interred in the Kapuzinergruft as we witnessed last saturday,but the Hearts all went in the Imperial Heart Crypt in the Augustiner church in Vienna.But Archduke Otto,as a token of his allegiance and sympathy for Hungary,choose to have his heart buried at Pannonhalma.

@ Johan Salvator,no,that was what you meant and what I read,and the Crypt,really,is closed for further funerals as was stated by the Habsburg Family.Then one shouldn't question that,they know best..
Old 07-18-2011, 09:17 AM
Commoner

Is it possible to visit Kapuzinergruft as a tourist? How does entry cost? The same question about church where are buried Hearths of Habsburgs and Pannonhalma/Hungary.
Old 07-18-2011, 10:58 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorky View Post
Is it possible to visit Kapuzinergruft as a tourist? How does entry cost? The same question about church where are buried Hearths of Habsburgs and Pannonhalma/Hungary.
Yes,you can visit the Imperial Crypt in Vienna,and the heart Crypt at the Augustiner Church nearby.A small fee will give you entrance.

You can also visit the Abbey at Pannonhalma,Hungary,yes.

You don't live that far from Vienna,it will be easy to reach for you.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:04 AM
Commoner

Pardon me if this has been asked before, but where will Archduke Felix be buried?
Old 07-18-2011, 11:08 AM
Courtier

Of course you can visit both Church and the Crypt. It really is very interesting, I was there on Thursday where Otto and Regina were already stationed at the Church. It really was deeply moving to see all this people paying their last respects to both of them. I am not even sure if you have to pay for the Crypt. But I am sure it doesn't cost much.

Quote:
@ Johan Salvator,no,that was what you meant and what I read,and the Crypt,really,is closed for further funerals as was stated by the Habsburg Family.Then one shouldn't question that,they know best..
Yep that's right. What's more only one place is left and everbody assumes the widow of AD Carl Ludwig will one day rest there. But that is just speculation at the moment. Emperor Karl will probably stay in Funchal/Madeira cause the population there worships him and the Vatican has in this case the authority to decide if he will be moved to Vienna one day what I highly doubt. Even AD OTTO didn't want to move his father to Vienna.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:58 AM
Heir Apparent

May I ask what should be the future for Archduke Georg in Hungary. He is living there with his family he tried to be a Politician in Hungary , did he succeed ?
Old 07-18-2011, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
May I ask what should be the future for Archduke Georg in Hungary. He is living there with his family he tried to be a Politician in Hungary , did he succeed ?
Nope. He ran as "independent" with a party in the 2008 EU elections and though he was 2nd in the national list, he didn't get to Brussels. The party got out of parliament in 2010 and is rarely heard of.

He has been president of the Hungarian Red Cross nonetheless for a number of years now.
Old 07-18-2011, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorky View Post
Hey, the Abbey is just off motorway M1, which is the direct motorway between Vienna and Budapest, I guess it's basically halfway between Bratislava and Budapest, so not a grand trip for you :-)
Old 07-18-2011, 01:19 PM

Actually three friars of the Abbey taught him in exile in Spain. He only visited the Abbey in 1990 then and in 2002 called himself a Benedictine student and was honourary president of the Benedictine students' association
Old 07-18-2011, 01:25 PM
Commoner

Thanks to everyone for help. I will visit these places as soon as possible.

RIP Otto
Old 07-19-2011, 05:15 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucien View Post
Again, that is not what I meant. I was talking about the possibility of another remarkable Habsburg like AD Otto living a remarkable life and at the moment of its death being honoured the way he was. Would that person be buried at the crypt, of scattered its ashes in the Danube was not my point. I did not mean to question the information you posted which I am sure is 100% correct.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:50 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorka View Post
Nope. He ran as "independent" with a party in the 2008 EU elections and though he was 2nd in the national list, he didn't get to Brussels. The party got out of parliament in 2010 and is rarely heard of.

He has been president of the Hungarian Red Cross nonetheless for a number of years now.
He is a very successful TV-producer owning his own station there. He learned this business in Germany at one of Germany's state stations.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:08 AM
Nobility

Swedish Foreign Minister Carl Bildt attended the funeral service and he writes like this on his blog: http://carlbildt.wordpress.com/2011/07/16/historia-och-nutid-i-stefansdomen/ (in swedish) http://translate.google.se/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=sv&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=sv&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fcarlbildt.wordpress.com%2F2011%2F07%2F16%2Fhistoria-och-nutid-i-stefansdomen%2F&act=url (translation)
"Of making many books there is no end, and much study wearies the body" (Ecclesiastes 12:12)
Old 07-19-2011, 01:09 PM
Commoner

I thought that his coffin would be on the horse carriage and took along the procession route same as his mother's. They should have taken his coffin into some kind of carriage.

RIP, Seine kaiserliche und konigliche Majestat!!!
Old 07-19-2011, 01:13 PM
Courtier

They were thinking about taking a carriage, but it was much easier the way it was handled.
Old 07-19-2011, 01:13 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

If I don't mistake, Archduke Otto himself didn't want the old Imperial hearse (the one used at Zita's funeral) to be used to carry his coffin.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
He is a very successful TV-producer owning his own station there. He learned this business in Germany at one of Germany's state stations.
No, he sold his shares in 2002 (the station - TV2 - started broadcast in 1997)
Old 07-19-2011, 09:29 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory View Post
Prince Jaime was hardly representing his aunt, Queen Beatrix, because he is not a member of the Royal Family of the Netherlands.
Princess Irene of the Netherlands and her children are considered members of the Dutch Royal Family (but they are not members of the Royal House, as they are not in the line of succession to the throne, in contrast with Irene's sister, Princess Margaret and her children) and it is quite possible that Queen Beatrix was represented at the funeral by her nephew.

Tags
archduke otto, death, funeral, habsburg, vienna