The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Non-Reigning Houses > Royal Families of Germany and Austria > The Imperial House of Habsburg

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-14-2007, 09:16 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Death and Funeral of HI&RH Archduke Karl Ludwig (1918-2007)

Archduke Karl-Ludwig, 4th son of Emperor Karl and Empress Zita, died. His coffin will be placed in the Kapuzinergruft of January 12th. Read an article in German here (of ORF, Austrian TV).

Old 12-17-2007, 03:57 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
Archduke Karl-Ludwig, 4th son of Emperor Karl and Empress Zita, died. His coffin will be placed in the Kapuzinergruft of January 12th. Read an article in German here (of ORF, Austrian TV).

It's the father of Carl-Christian, who is married with Prinses Marie-Astrid of Luxembourg.

Old 12-17-2007, 04:18 PM
Aristocracy

could somebody traduce the article about Archduke Karl-Ludwig dead?
Old 12-18-2007, 04:50 AM
Aristocracy

Translation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
could somebody traduce the article about Archduke Karl-Ludwig dead?
I had translated the whole thing when my internet decided not to work. I'll give it another try..

Archduke Carl-Ludwig Habsburg-Lothringen has passed away at Brussels, aged 89. He was the fifth child of Emperor Karl, the last Emperor of Austria, and Empress Zita. He was a younger brother of Crown Prince Otto, who just celebrated his 95th birthday.
He will be buried next to his mother in the Kaisergruft in Vienna on January 12.
After the fall of the monarchy, the imperial family went into exile in Switzerland. They soon moved on to Madeira and then Spain, before settling in Belgium in the thirties.
In WWII, Karl-Ludwig served as an officer in the US army and fought for the Allied forces at Normandie. After the war, he worked in New York and Washington for a Belgian company, before returning to Europe in 1958. In Brussels he started his own company within fields such as construction and finance. At the time of his retirement in 1986, the company had twenty thousand employees.

In 1950, he married Princess Yolande of Ligne, who survives him together with their four children. One of their sons is Archduke Carl-Christian, who is married to Princess Marie-Astrid of Luxembourg.
Old 12-18-2007, 02:23 PM
Aristocracy

Thanks. He will be buried in Vienna. I don´t remember IF He was born in Austria.
Old 12-18-2007, 04:04 PM
Aristocracy

The place names are a bit confusing. It says that he was born in Baden bei Vienna, which I suppose is in Austria, and not the German Baden?? They fled the country only months later.
Old 12-19-2007, 03:31 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanna Regina View Post
The place names are a bit confusing. It says that he was born in Baden bei Vienna, which I suppose is in Austria, and not the German Baden?? They fled the country only months later.
Yes it is a small town nr Vienna. In Germany Baden is now part of the federal State Baden-Württemberg and the town's name is Baden-Baden. Carl Ludwig was also the only of the children born during the short reign of his parents.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 01-15-2008, 12:19 PM
Aristocracy

Any pictures/video of the funeral?

Thanks in advance.....
Old 01-15-2008, 01:57 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMC View Post
Any pictures/video of the funeral?

Thanks in advance.....
Photo gallery (20 pics ): Bunte
Old 01-15-2008, 08:20 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florencia View Post
Photo gallery (20 pics ): Bunte
Thank you very much !
Old 01-16-2008, 12:42 PM
Nobility

Carl Ludwig was buried in the Kaisergruft at the Capuchin Church in Vienna. I thought that, since 1918, all Habsburgs were buried in Switzerland, with the exception of the Empress Zita?
Old 01-16-2008, 01:03 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold View Post
Carl Ludwig was buried in the Kaisergruft at the Capuchin Church in Vienna. I thought that, since 1918, all Habsburgs were buried in Switzerland, with the exception of the Empress Zita?
Empress Zita was also buried in the Kaisergruft.
Old 01-16-2008, 04:16 PM
Nobility

Yes, Zita was buried in the Kaisergruft. However, I thought that, except for her, all other Habsburgs since 1918 were buried in the Loretto Chapel of the Benedictine monastery in Muri, Switzerland? And, that the Austrian government had refused to allow any other Habsburg burials in Vienna. This is obviously not entirely correct.
Old 01-25-2008, 09:25 PM
Administrator

The funeral was bradcasted on tlevision and some clips made it to youtube. It looks very solumn and impressive I must say!

Entence of the clergymen on the beginning of Mozarts Requiem:

Panis Angelicus:

Old 01-25-2008, 09:28 PM
Administrator

Tantum Ergo Sacramentum on the tune of the Austrian Imperial Anthem:

In front ofthe Kapuzinergruft, the old Imperial Anthem:

Old 03-06-2008, 11:53 PM
Commoner

Funeral Videos: ZITA AND KARL-LUDWIG

At the risk of seeming morbid and I would be interested in obtaining video's (not You Tube) of the funerals of HIRM Empress Zita and HIRH Archduke Carl-Ludwig of Austria-Hungary. I feel they must exist but have not a clue where. HELP?
Old 03-07-2008, 08:50 AM
Courtier

As you play the last video, you can hear the crowd singing the Anthem, which puts chills down my spine. How long since it was sung publicly, and how is it that so many knew it?

Of course, the answer lies partly in that it is a self-selecting crowd; those who would attend this, with reverence, would know this piece.

I found it very moving.

Are there any lists of the attendees, other royal families (in particular, Catholic?)

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-07-2008, 07:20 PM
Serene Highness

Liechtenstein and Luxembourg were represented by their respective heads of state.

"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife" Pride and Prejudice
Old 03-08-2008, 03:17 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotAPretender View Post
As you play the last video, you can hear the crowd singing the Anthem, which puts chills down my spine. How long since it was sung publicly, and how is it that so many knew it?

Of course, the answer lies partly in that it is a self-selecting crowd; those who would attend this, with reverence, would know this piece.

I found it very moving.

Are there any lists of the attendees, other royal families (in particular, Catholic?)

Thanks in advance.
The Margrave and Margravine of Baden, the Duke and Duchess of Bragnza, Princess Astrid and Prince Lorenz of Beglium. There have to been many more but only those who have been photographed can be indentified.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 03-08-2008, 07:12 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperiale View Post
At the risk of seeming morbid and I would be interested in obtaining video's (not You Tube) of the funerals of HIRM Empress Zita and HIRH Archduke Carl-Ludwig of Austria-Hungary. I feel they must exist but have not a clue where. HELP?
I believe the funeral was broadcasted by ORF, so it might be best to contact them.