Death and Funeral of HI&RH Archduke Karl Ludwig (1918-2007)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marengo

Administrator
Site Team
City
São Paulo
Country
Brazil
Archduke Karl-Ludwig, 4th son of Emperor Karl and Empress Zita, died. His coffin will be placed in the Kapuzinergruft of January 12th. Read an article in German here (of ORF, Austrian TV).

Archduke Karl-Ludwig, 4th son of Emperor Karl and Empress Zita, died. His coffin will be placed in the Kapuzinergruft of January 12th. Read an article in German here (of ORF, Austrian TV).

It's the father of Carl-Christian, who is married with Prinses Marie-Astrid of Luxembourg.

could somebody traduce the article about Archduke Karl-Ludwig dead?

Translation

could somebody traduce the article about Archduke Karl-Ludwig dead?

I had translated the whole thing when my internet decided not to work:bang:. I'll give it another try..

Archduke Carl-Ludwig Habsburg-Lothringen has passed away at Brussels, aged 89. He was the fifth child of Emperor Karl, the last Emperor of Austria, and Empress Zita. He was a younger brother of Crown Prince Otto, who just celebrated his 95th birthday.
He will be buried next to his mother in the Kaisergruft in Vienna on January 12.
After the fall of the monarchy, the imperial family went into exile in Switzerland. They soon moved on to Madeira and then Spain, before settling in Belgium in the thirties.
In WWII, Karl-Ludwig served as an officer in the US army and fought for the Allied forces at Normandie. After the war, he worked in New York and Washington for a Belgian company, before returning to Europe in 1958. In Brussels he started his own company within fields such as construction and finance. At the time of his retirement in 1986, the company had twenty thousand employees.

In 1950, he married Princess Yolande of Ligne, who survives him together with their four children. One of their sons is Archduke Carl-Christian, who is married to Princess Marie-Astrid of Luxembourg.

Thanks. He will be buried in Vienna. I don´t remember IF He was born in Austria.

The place names are a bit confusing. It says that he was born in Baden bei Vienna, which I suppose is in Austria, and not the German Baden?? They fled the country only months later.

The place names are a bit confusing. It says that he was born in Baden bei Vienna, which I suppose is in Austria, and not the German Baden?? They fled the country only months later.

Yes it is a small town nr Vienna. In Germany Baden is now part of the federal State Baden-Württemberg and the town's name is Baden-Baden. Carl Ludwig was also the only of the children born during the short reign of his parents.

Any pictures/video of the funeral?

Thanks in advance.....

Carl Ludwig was buried in the Kaisergruft at the Capuchin Church in Vienna. I thought that, since 1918, all Habsburgs were buried in Switzerland, with the exception of the Empress Zita?

Carl Ludwig was buried in the Kaisergruft at the Capuchin Church in Vienna. I thought that, since 1918, all Habsburgs were buried in Switzerland, with the exception of the Empress Zita?
Empress Zita was also buried in the Kaisergruft.

Yes, Zita was buried in the Kaisergruft. However, I thought that, except for her, all other Habsburgs since 1918 were buried in the Loretto Chapel of the Benedictine monastery in Muri, Switzerland? And, that the Austrian government had refused to allow any other Habsburg burials in Vienna. This is obviously not entirely correct.

Funeral Videos: ZITA AND KARL-LUDWIG

At the risk of seeming morbid and I would be interested in obtaining video's (not You Tube) of the funerals of HIRM Empress Zita and HIRH Archduke Carl-Ludwig of Austria-Hungary. I feel they must exist but have not a clue where. HELP? :angel:

Last edited by a moderator:
As you play the last video, you can hear the crowd singing the Anthem, which puts chills down my spine. How long since it was sung publicly, and how is it that so many knew it?

Of course, the answer lies partly in that it is a self-selecting crowd; those who would attend this, with reverence, would know this piece.

I found it very moving.

Are there any lists of the attendees, other royal families (in particular, Catholic?)

Thanks in advance.

Liechtenstein and Luxembourg were represented by their respective heads of state.

As you play the last video, you can hear the crowd singing the Anthem, which puts chills down my spine. How long since it was sung publicly, and how is it that so many knew it?

Of course, the answer lies partly in that it is a self-selecting crowd; those who would attend this, with reverence, would know this piece.

I found it very moving.

Are there any lists of the attendees, other royal families (in particular, Catholic?)

Thanks in advance.

The Margrave and Margravine of Baden, the Duke and Duchess of Bragnza, Princess Astrid and Prince Lorenz of Beglium. There have to been many more but only those who have been photographed can be indentified.

At the risk of seeming morbid and I would be interested in obtaining video's (not You Tube) of the funerals of HIRM Empress Zita and HIRH Archduke Carl-Ludwig of Austria-Hungary. I feel they must exist but have not a clue where. HELP? :angel:

I believe the funeral was broadcasted by ORF, so it might be best to contact them.

I believe the funeral was broadcasted by ORF, so it might be best to contact them.

Only the fuenral of Empress Zita in 1989. From the funeral of Archduke CArl Ludwig there were only small issues on the News and other programms i believe.

:previous:
Some sites only display videos for a short time.

oh.. I did manage to see some clips though of the Royal funeral, it was very solemn, Infact very traditional, as one notes the priests where wearing black chasubles, black was removed from the liturgy since the council in 1964, only very traditional priests still use them, even the style of the chasuble used in the funeral was that of the Roman Chasuble 'fiddleback' which is seldom used, instead they use the 'Gothic chasuble', all the use of these antique traditions give of a sense of solemnity to the event. May he rest in peace Amen.

The Archduke died on December 11th, 2007, and his funeral was on January 12th, 2008; why did all this time pass between the death and the funeral?

Requiem for Karl Ludwig
Archduke of Austria
(1916-2007)

Karl Ludwig of Habsburg

Brussels, January 18 2008
Abbaye de Cambre

Last edited:
In Brussels he started his own company within fields such as construction and finance. At the time of his retirement in 1986, the company had twenty thousand employees.

What is the name of this company? Has ownership of this company passed on to his children or was it sold?

Perhaps this is the reason Carl-Christian moved his family from Geneva to Brussels after many years?

Back
Top Bottom