Death and Funeral of HI&RH Archduchess Regina, 3 February 2010

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

berry

Aristocracy
According to news.at Archduchess Regina, wife of Archduke Otto has died aged 85 in Pöcking, Bavaria. She had heart troubles for a long time.

Last edited:
So sad for Archduke Otto, to lose his life companion....

From our blog:

Archduchess Regina Passed Away

Austria20Flag20220Borders.jpg
Archduchess Regina of Austria, wife of the head of the Austrian imperial family, Archduke Otto, has died this morning in the family house in Pöcking near the Lake Starnberg in Bavaria, Germany. The 85 year old archduchess died peacefully at 08.40 AM, with several members of the family present, according to a spokesperson of the family.

Her eldest son, archduke Karl comments: ‘My mother was an example to all of us, with her we lose a great personality, who has formed us with her steadfast faith and her positive approach to life’. The archduchess has been suffering for quite some time with heart troubles.

The archduchess was born as princess Regina Helene Elizabeth Margarete of Saxe-Meiningen on January 6th 1925 in Würzburg, Germany as the the youngest of the four children born from the marriage of prince Georg of Saxe-Meiningen (head of the ducal house of Saxe-Meinignen) and countess Klara Maria von Korff genannt Schmissing-Kerssenbrock. On 10 May 1951 Regina married Otto, Crown Prince of Austria, eldest son of Austria’s last emperor Karl, and his wife Empress Zita (née princess of Bourbon-Parma). The cpouple married in the Church of the Cordeliers in Nancy, France, with the blessing of Pope Pius XII.

Since 10 May 1954 Regina and Otto have lived at his official residence in the Villa Austria, also called the “Kaiservilla” (Emperor’s Villa) or with a wink to the English royal family ‘Pöckingham Palace’, in Pöcking near Lake Starnberg in Bavaria, Germany. Here the couple got five daughters and two sons:

Archduchess Andrea (1953), married Karl Eugen, hereditary count of Neipperg.
Archduchess Monika (1954), married Luis Gonzaga de Casanova-Cárdenas y Barón, duke of Santangelo, marquess of Elche, count of Lodosa and grandee of Spain.
Archduchess Michaela (1954), married 1stly to Eric Alba Teran d’Antin (divorced) and 2ndly to Count Hubertus of Kageneck (divorced).
Archduchess Gabriela (1956), married Christian Meister (divorced).
Archduchess Walburga (1958), married count Archibald Douglas.
Archduke Karl (1961), married baroness Francesca Thyssen-Bornemisza.
Archduke Georg (1964), married duchess Eilika of Oldenburg.

On 2 December 2005 she suffered a brain injury and was taken to a hospital of Nancy. Nevertheless, by 22 February 2006 she had recovered sufficiently to participate in the transfer of the remains of her mother Duchess Klara and her older brother Anton Ulrich to the vault of the Veste Heldburg in the Churchyard of Heldburg in the district of Hildburghausen. The transfer of the remains of her father duke Georg III from Tscherepowez (Russia), where he died as a Russian prisoner of war in 1946, took place in the spring of 2007. The archduchess got 22 grandchildren. The last time she was seen in public was while she attended the wedding of her eldest grand child, count Philipp of Neipperg to Paula Wolff in Salzburg on April 26th 2008.
No details about the funeral of the Archduchess have been released yet, but it is likely that like her late brother-in-law, Archduke Karl Ludwig, she will laid to rest in the Kapuzinergruft, after a requiem in the Stephansdom in Vienna.

May she rest in Peace !Her family has the relief of her faith ,she had ,and that they have too inherited of her.:angel::easter:

A heatfelt condolence to the House Of Hapsburg. You have lost a light in this world, however another now graces the other. My Sympathies go out also first and foremost to Archduke Otto himself.

This is a great loss for the whole Imperial Family, and most of all for Archduke Otto; I'm sure she's resting in peace.
My deepest condolences to Archduke Otto and the Imperial Family.
Farewell your Majesty!

How sad....I was 100% sure that it would be Otto who passes away first...(taking on account his age)

May she rest in peace. This is a terrible loss for the entire family.

R.I.P.
I hope that she had (if it's possible) good dead, no pain and wiht family.

Die Presse:

Ehefrau von Otto Habsburg gestorben « DiePresse.com

According to the articles she passed away this morning, at 08.40 in her home in Pöcking, Bavaria.
According to this article she she will lay in State in Pöcking at Tuesday from Satuday till Monday, there will be a Requiem at Pöcking lead by Bishop Mixa and on Wednesday she will be buried at the Family Vault at Heldburg.

Funeral and burial arrangements

From next Saturday February 6th until Monday February 8th the late Archduchess will be lying in state in Sankt Ulrich in Pöcking.
On Tuesday February 9th a Memorial Mass will be held by Bishop Mixa in Pöcking and on Wednesday February 10th the late Archduchess will be buried at the cemetery in Heldburg (County Hildburghausen Thüringen).

I expect a lot a of guests from the European Gotha will attend the Memorial Mass on Tuesday and that the burial on Wednesday will be a more private family event

Last edited by a moderator:
How awful for Archduke Otto and the children.
Rest In Peace Regina.

May she rest in peace.
My sympathies to His Imperial and Royal Highness, and all of the House of Habsburg. :imperialaustria:

what a sad time for the family......my thoughts are with them !

My condolences to her family, may the Archduchess rest in peace and God be with her.:sad:

As has been commented on another forum, after the loss of one of a couple of this age and who have been married for long, it is often the case that the other partner goes not long after. As he is in his late 90s it is quite possible that we may soon lose Archduke Otto. I hope that this doesan't happen for several more years yet but it shouldn't be unexpected. When that does happen we will have lost a valuable living treasure of a man, our last living connection to the golden age of royalty pre world war one and the last of the heirs. (unless someone knows of another prince/princess born before the war and is still alive?). May the archduchess rest in peace and my blessings to all her family.

Queen Juliana and Prince Bernhard come to mind,yes.

Very sad news, my condolences to the House of Habsburg.

As has been commented on another forum, after the loss of one of a couple of this age and who have been married for long, it is often the case that the other partner goes not long after.

Yes, I've noticed this "phenomenon" as well and I feel very sorry for Archduke Otto.
Btw, I know Pöcking where they live/lived very well and I hope the Archduchess enjoyed it to live at this beautiful place during her last years. May she rest in peace. :easter:

But why will she not buried in the Kapuzinergruft in Vienna?!

Rest in peace archduchess Regina. She could be our queen....

as I understood the archduchess will be burried later on together with her husband in the kapuzinergruft in vienna. this might be otto's plan to be burried together (on the same day?) with his wife in the kapuzinergruft.

But why will she not buried in the Kapuzinergruft in Vienna?!
perhaps it is her wish to be buried next to her parents and her brother.

unless someone knows of another prince/princess born before the war and is still alive?
Infanta Maria Adelaide of Bragança turned a few days ago 98 years, being born on 31 January 1912, and Archduchess Marie Valerie of Austria-Tuscany, Archduchess by marriage but great-granddaughter of Emperor Franz Josef, who was born in 1913; and there are many Princes born during the war to be still alive, like Otto's brother Felix, or Princess dona Maria d'Orleans-Bragança, or Princess Henriette vuz Liechtenstein.

Infanta Maria Adelaide of Bragança turned a few days ago 98 years, being born on 31 January 1912, and Archduchess Marie Valerie of Austria-Tuscany, Archduchess by marriage but great-granddaughter of Emperor Franz Josef, who was born in 1913; and there are many Princes born during the war to be still alive, like Otto's brother Felix, or Princess dona Maria d'Orleans-Bragança, or Princess Henriette vuz Liechtenstein.

And if you include the mediatized Houses even more like Count Albert of Rechberg (born 1912), Duke Carl of Croy (born in 1914) whio was biorn short after the star of the War.

Last edited:
Queen Juliana and Prince Bernhard come to mind,yes.
But they both passed away in 2004. Are there any others born before the first world war but still alive now?
Asposted above yes there are still a few.

But they both passed away in 2004. Are there any others born before the first world war but still alive now?

I think Lucien wanted to say that the passed away short after each other as it's often the case with Couples who are married for such a long time.

unless someone knows of another prince/princess born before the war and is still alive?

Princess Agnes of Löwenstein-Wertheim-Rosenberg was born in 1902, her sisters Princess Theresia (born 1909) and Princess Maria-Anna (born 1914) are also still alive and of course Princess Karoline Matilde Vlangali-Handjeri, who was born on 6 October 1900.

Back
Top Bottom