The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-17-2011, 07:24 PM
Courtier

Archduchess Elisabeth Marie of Austria - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

this is a short summary in English about her.

Old 07-17-2011, 08:58 PM
Commoner

Kit, Let me ask you, Crown Prince Rudolf had many rumored liaisons with many lady's, before he was married to Princess Stephanie of Belgium even after.

But before he was married to Princess Stephanie of Belgium,
It was rumored that Rudolf had married Ferdinand IV's, the Grand Duke of Tuscany's oldest daughter by his first marriage Archduchess Maria Antonietta.

But Franz Joseph objected and had the marriage annulled, and Maria Antonietta was sent to a convent.

Do you believe this?

Old 07-17-2011, 11:08 PM
Courtier

I'd never heard this story - quite fascinating!

Rudolf's daughter, IIRC, became known as the "Red Archduchess" due to her devotion to radical causes. She was never in line to inherit. I read a biography of her and evidently she was quite the free spirit. She expertly rode a motorcycle that she nicknamed the "Silver Spirit."

Someone like her embodied why Austria would best be not a monarchy again. The randomness of birth doesn't confer an ability to rule. She might have been the perfect monarch for the country but was barred because of her sex.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:11 AM
Gentry

Constitutional monarchs do not rule, they are Heads of State. For European and other nations with a history of monarchy there is no one better than the rightful monarch to represent the people.
Old 07-18-2011, 10:02 AM
Courtier

Quote:
...before he was married to Princess Stephanie of Belgium, it was rumored that Rudolf had married Ferdinand IV's, the Grand Duke of Tuscany's oldest daughter by his first marriage Archduchess Maria Antonietta.
No. First of all Rudolph didn't want to marry at all, not even Stephanie of Belgium but he had to marry because of this father's orders. And he wouldn't have been able to marry without his father's consent! No priest would have done this. Second if it would be true then FJ wouldn't have objected because the bride was also an Austrian AD and therefore absolutely fit to be one day Empress of Austria. And I highly doubt the pope would have annulled this marriage, he didn't even divorce Rudolph and Stephanie.
Third there is a very good biography about CP Rudolph by Brigitte Hamann. You should absolutely read it, it is one of the best biographies ever! Miss Hamann has investigated so many sources about CP Rudolph and till now I have never even heard about this possible marriage. She doesn't even mention this rumour
Old 07-18-2011, 11:01 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit View Post
Third there is a very good biography about CP Rudolph by Brigitte Hamann. You should absolutely read it, it is one of the best biographies ever! Miss Hamann has investigated so many sources about CP Rudolph and till now I have never even heard about this possible marriage. She doesn't even mention this rumour
The rumour exists in fact and in certain genealogical sites it is even mentioned as a fact.
Like this one:
mandragore - GeneaNet

Dont's think there is truth in it, though.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:19 AM
Courtier

Thanks Kataryn, I never heard about it before. But as I already said above I don't believe it. I could never have married without the consent of his father. It just wouldn't have been possible.
Old 03-10-2012, 02:29 PM
Serene Highness

Princess Stephanie of Belgium, crown princess of Austria could have become empress of Austria but rudolf commited suicide with his mistress at mayerling. She then got married to a Hungarian count and proceeded despite the objections from her father. She did have a daughter with Rudolph but does anyone know if there are any biographies about her I mean I know that she wrote a memoir but it's in German. I wish to learn more about this princess who was to be empress of Austria.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:01 PM

Crown Prince Rudolf Letters

I have many letters written to my great grandfather from Crown Prince Rudolf, they were very good friends. Do you know of anyone who would be interested? Thankyou...
Old 06-15-2013, 10:02 PM

I viewed the mini series The Crown Prince last night. I thought the film was mostly true to historical events. Kron Prinz Rudolf was, like his mother the Empress Elizabeth (Sissi), liberal in his view toward his people and open to progressive ideas in science, technology, education, land reform, and enfranchisement. What was glossed over was the manner of his death. The mini series implies a murder-suicide pact; Emperor Franz Joseph, the Imperial government, and the Vatican admit to suicide and one bullet; however, the police report states 5 shots from a revolver not owned by the Kron Prinz. Furthermore, it is reported that Lady Mary Vetsera died of blunt force trauma and was in rigor mortis while Kron Prinz Rudolf had defensive hand wounds and a single gunshot wound to the temple.

Empress Zita was of the view that the Kron Prinz was murdered. The only question being by whom. I believe Prime Minister Count Taafe and the Chief of Police (Vienna) and agents used by them killed the Kron Prinz. As the only son of the Emperor, His Imperial Highness could be forgiven much by Franz Joseph. Kron Prinz Rudolf had thrice turned down the offer of the Hungarian crown offered by representatives of Hungary. His Highness turned them down out of loyalty to his father, and I submit as an acknowledgement of the Imperial dynasty to which he belonged. Therefore, if out of favor with the Emperor that would have been a fleeting instant within the Imperial family, that is, Imperials are lasting whereas Prime Ministers are not. To threaten the heir is to commit High Treason.

Thoughts on all or any part of the above please.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:45 PM
Royal Highness

In A Dark History: The Kings & Queens of Europe by Brenda Ralph Lewis, here is a description of Crown Prince Rudolf:

Rudolph, however, was not at all the dazzling Prince Charming he appeared to be.
He had inherited too much of his mother's melancholic nature and too little of his father's solidity.
It was at Laxenburg that Crown Princess Stephanie gave birth to a daughter on September 2, 1883.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:02 PM
Commoner

Mayerling 1968 with Omar Shariff and Catherin Deneuve & Ava Gardner not to be missed.
Fall of Eagles 1970's mini series which deals with the whole lead up to WWI devotes an episode to this. Available on Youtube...I just watched it a couple of months ago.
I believe both tout the double suicide theory. But I believe they both think the poor girl was given poisoned tea. In fact in Fall of Eagles, the girls corpse shows no signs of violence at all.
Anyway, do check out Fall of Eagles.
Old 06-16-2014, 09:22 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ana Von Cleves View Post
Mayerling 1968 with Omar Shariff and Catherin Deneuve & Ava Gardner not to be missed.
Fall of Eagles 1970's mini series which deals with the whole lead up to WWI devotes an episode to this. Available on Youtube...I just watched it a couple of months ago.
I believe both tout the double suicide theory. But I believe they both think the poor girl was given poisoned tea. In fact in Fall of Eagles, the girls corpse shows no signs of violence at all.
Anyway, do check out Fall of Eagles.
I received "Fall Of Eagles" on DVD as a gift several years ago and believe it or not I have never gotten around to watching it. I would live to see "Mayerling" but I don't think it's available on DVD.
Old 06-17-2014, 07:14 PM
Heir Presumptive

Who had the interest to see him dead?
Old 06-17-2014, 08:52 PM
Commoner

My thoughts on Mayerling

According to what I have read of Rudolph and the investigation, I believe the following to be true, (I could be wrong on any or all points):
1. The authorities knew it was suicide right away, but there was an attempt to cover it up. A declared suicide cannot have a requiem mass or a burial in consecrated ground. Suicide was also thought to bring terrible shame on the family.
2. Various women in the Vienna area testified that Rudolph had been trying to find someone to enter a suicide pact with him for some time. A couple of years at least.
3. It is almost certain that the girl was murdered by Rudolph in that she did not die by her own hand. Whether she agreed to allow him to kill her or not, no one can say.
4. Zita may have been in denial, but his parents were not. I believe they both acknowledged the suicide for what it was. Rudolph left 3 suicide notes: one to his mother, one to his sister and I believe one to his valet.
5. The church judged suicide brought on by mental distress or instability and allowed his requiem mass and burial. Mental instability was probably true as he was a drug addict, suffering from syphilis.
6. Finally, I believe most respected historians accept that it was suicide.

Ana
Old 06-17-2014, 09:07 PM
Nobility

Is there a movie about the story of Mayerling?

This story is very interesting.
Style of the Portuguese sovereign: By the Grace of God and by the Constitution of the Monarchy, King [or Queen] of Portugal and the Algarves of either side of the sea in Africa, Lord of Guinea and of Conquest, Navigation, and Commerce of Ethiopia, Arabia, Persia, and India, etc.
Old 06-17-2014, 09:14 PM
Royal Highness

Ana Von Cleves mentioned that Rudolph left a suicide note to his sister.
Which sister: Archduchess Gisela or Archduchess Marie Valerie?
Old 06-18-2014, 01:27 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Real View Post
Is there a movie about the story of Mayerling?

This story is very interesting.
Yes, please see my entry about 3 or 4 entries above this.
Old 06-18-2014, 01:27 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
Ana Von Cleves mentioned that Rudolph left a suicide note to his sister.
Which sister: Archduchess Gisela or Archduchess Marie Valerie?
I believe Marie Valerie
Old 06-18-2014, 08:27 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ana Von Cleves View Post
I believe Marie Valerie
In 1889 Archduchess Gisela was living with her husband, Prince Leopold of Bavaria.
In 1889 Archduchess Marie Valerie was not yet married.