The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-22-2016, 01:43 PM

Archduke Rudolf of Austria (1950-) and Family

I'm looking for information on Archduke Rudolf of Austria, born 1950, son of Archduke Carl Ludwig and grandson of Emperor Charles I. I believe he presently lives in Belgium and is an avid hunter. He might be coming to visit me and I would like to know more about him and any protocol I might need to know. Thank you in advance.

Old 09-23-2016, 11:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

Archduke Rudolf married Baroness Hélène de Villenfagne de Vogelsanck in Brussels, Belgium on July 3, 1976. He had worked at invest managers AAA Gestion.

Old 09-24-2016, 05:28 AM
Serene Highness

His wife Hélène is, among many others, descendant of Rubens, the famous painter.
Old 09-24-2016, 07:06 AM
Heir Apparent

They have a lot of Children....
Old 09-24-2016, 09:28 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Archduke Rudolf and Archduchess Marie-Hélène are parents of eight childre: six sons (Carl-Christian, Johannes, Thomas, Franz-Ludwig, Michael and Joseph) and two daughters (Priscilla and Marie-des-Neiges).
Currently only the eldest son is married and himself father of four daughters.
Old 09-24-2016, 11:11 AM
Heir Apparent

Priscilla is the odd name, especially when her sister has such a beautiful traditional name (Marie-des-Neiges).
Old 09-24-2016, 11:19 AM
Heir Apparent

I notice that their Boys have German Surnames.
Old 09-24-2016, 01:27 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
I notice that their Boys have German Surnames.
What do you mean by German surnames?

Their official "surname" is Habsburg-Lothringen if I am not mistaken which is, of course, German...
Old 09-24-2016, 01:27 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
Priscilla is the odd name, especially when her sister has such a beautiful traditional name (Marie-des-Neiges).
St. Priscilla was a martyr from 1st century Rome. Not older than Mary or snow (Neiges) perhaps, but certainly not a new name. The wife of emperor Dioclatian was also a Prisc(ill)a. And there is of course a legendary Queen of the desert with that name .
Old 09-24-2016, 01:44 PM
Heir Apparent

Never too old to learn. I have never heard about a Saint Priscilla. I will look to the Saints' Calendar and see if I can find information. Thanks.

Found it: there is a Basilica di Santa Prisca in Rome. Priscilla is a diminutive of Prisca.
Old 09-24-2016, 02:14 PM
Courtier

Archduke Rudolf is the godfather of Countess Guillaume de Dampierre, nee Princess Alix de Ligne. He's a first cousin of the Countess' father, Michel, 14th Prince de Ligne. Her godmother is Princess Isabel of Brazil, her maternal aunt.

Princess Isabel (1846-1921), Princess Imperial and Regent of the Empire of Brazil, after she signed the Golden Law, in 1888, abolishing slavery in Brazil.
Old 09-24-2016, 02:52 PM
Heir Apparent

Marc 23 ,German Names , sorry for that ! I often do this mistake .
Old 09-24-2016, 05:40 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Are they incorporated in the Belgian nobility as prince von Habsburg-Lotharingen or de Habsbourg-Lorraine? I suspect the latter. The first names of the sons are German sounding indeed, though among the baptism names there are more French sounding ones too.
Old 09-25-2016, 11:42 PM
Heir Presumptive

The parents of Marie-Hélène are Guy, Baron of Villenfagne de Vogelsanck and Marie Rennée de Crombrugghe de Lorringhe.
Old 09-26-2016, 05:24 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
Marc 23 ,German Names , sorry for that ! I often do this mistake .
Maybe they had an "agreement" that first names of the boys will be chosen by father and first names of the girls by mother.

Just a guess