Archduke Otto (1912-2011) Head of the Imperial House & Archduchess Regina (1925-2010)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flcty

Nobility
City
Somewhere out of this world
Country
Australia
Archduke Otto (1912-2011) Head of the Imperial House & Archduchess Regina (1925-2010)

Otto's back in the spotlight, with his new book, The Habsburg Factor: Visions for the New Millennium.
ImageShack - Hosting :: visionottovc9.jpg
Getty Images.

Last edited:
They look like homeless people! Why wasn't this indoors?

Last edited by a moderator:
They look like homeless people! Why wasn't this indoors?
The Archduke Otto is just a couple of months short of his 95th birthday and is surely deserving of the privilege of shelter.

Tomorrow is not only the diamond wedding anniversary of the British queen and the Duke of Edinburgh, it's the 95. birthday of Dr. Otto von Habsburg. If Austria was still an empire, he would be emperor for 85 years... way to go for queen Elizabeth...

Congratulations to a great European! :flowers:

HI&RH The Archduke Otto

de juré Emperor of Austria, Apostolic King of Hungary, King of Bohemia etc etc, and Head of the Imperial House of Habsburg since the death of his father the Emperor Karl on 1 April 1922 - 85 years. Congratulations indeed. :flowers: Apart from one pharoah, surely a record!

Congratulations indeed! The world could use more men such as he!
MM :)

Thanks for reminding us Avalon! It looks as if only his family attended or does anybody know if other Habsburgs showed up too (they usually do, en masse)? Nice to see Karl and Fransesca together btw, I recall some divorce rumours 2 years ago or so, but the couple still seems to be together (Archduches Fransesca looks good btw).

Where was his wife Regina btw? Just no pictures or was her health too frail to attend?

Where was the party? In Austria or Bavaria?

The pics were taken at the Hofburg in Vienna, where the Archduke and his family were received by the president of the republic of Austria. Before that there was a service of thanksgiving at the Cathedral of St. Stephen in Vienna, afterwards the family travelled to Sarajewo in Bosnia to celebrate.

Thanks for reminding us Avalon! It looks as if only his family attended or does anybody know if other Habsburgs showed up too (they usually do, en masse)? Nice to see Karl and Fransesca together btw, I recall some divorce rumours 2 years ago or so, but the couple still seems to be together (Archduches Fransesca looks good btw).

Where was his wife Regina btw? Just no pictures or was her health too frail to attend?

It was a family affair with closest family members and friends only. There weren't any pictures of other Habsburgs, so I assome they weren't there. Perhaps they will celebrate the memorable anniversary all together at some different time (perhaps in Sarajevo, where, according to Jo of Palatine, the family later travelled to celebrate).
I'm not sure whether Regina attended or not. There weren't any pictures of her anywhere, so I'm more inclined to think she didn't.

As Jo said, the party was in Vienna, in Hofburg. :)

Wow. He was received by the President? The days of the expulsion law are gone?

Archduke Otto visited the Herend porcelain factory in Hungary, south-west of Budapest, on the 16th of november. There he was presented with a big 95th-birthday cake. He was joined by his wife Regina and their second son Georg and his wife Eilika and three children.

ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank

I have always been interested in the practical side of royalty. After WWI, Otto and his family were broke, correct? How did Zita and the children survive after Karl's death? Otto seems to be a very unique person - in a very positive way. If only more of our real politicians were like him!

I have always been interested in the practical side of royalty. After WWI, Otto and his family were broke, correct? How did Zita and the children survive after Karl's death? Otto seems to be a very unique person - in a very positive way. If only more of our real politicians were like him!

I doubt they were ever broke. The Habsburg had not only possessions in Austria-Hungary, but in Switzerland, Germany and other countries who did not dispossess them like Austria and the communist countries. They were not longer that enormously rich but they still have enough to cope.

Here an article from the German Bunte about the birthday celebrations. It shows a picture of Otto and Regina so it seems that she was there!

Archduke Otto (1912 -), Head of the Imperial House, and Archduchess Regina (1925 -)

Does Dr Otto live in Germany ? I may be wrong but he is an EU MP for Germany or something ? In that case, is he German now rather than Austrian or Hungarian ?

Archduke Otto's Carreer, Titles, Nationality and other General Information

I

Does Dr Otto live in Germany ? I may be wrong but he is an EU MP for Germany or something ? In that case, is he German now rather than Austrian or Hungarian ?

Otto von Habsburg has several nationalities/passports. Austrian, German and Hungarian I think . He had been asked to stand for the EU parliament for the reigning party in Bavaria and when he accepted, he was given the German citizenship. But for some years now he's retired. he lives in a village called Pöcking at the shores of Lake Starnbergersee in between Munich and the Alps. It's the same lake where Empress Elisabeth grew up in Possenhofen and king Ludwig II. drowned in Berg.

Oh, I see. So, tell me, is Dr Otto allowed to entre the Republic of Austria now without renouncing his claim to the Archduke of Austria and the Emperor etc etc ? Oh, and if he is an Hungarian, too, then, is he allowed in there without disclaiming his King of Hungary bit ? I have had few Hungarian cleaners before in my service and the current lady is also a Hungarian but none of them ever really heard about the Habsburgs doing things in Hungary though at times they appear in some kind of their versions of "celeb" sort of magazines.
Oh, and what is Dr Otto on his German passport ? Is he really Dr Archduke of Austria or Dr Emperor of Austria or ... ? How about his wife and children and grandchildren ? I wonder what they got on their Hungarian passports ?

Otto renounced his claim and may enter Austria if he likes. As does his family.
His second son Archduke Georg lives in Hungary with his family.
I have no idea what's on his passport but as he himself calls Dr. Otto von Habsburg and that's how he is listed in the phonebook, I guess that's how he is called in the passport. In Austria he is Dr. Otto Habsburg-Lothringen.

Oh, I see. In that case, Dr Otto is not stricktly His Imperial Highness but merely out of courtesy some people still call him as HIH ? I bet he must have done that after the empress died. She wouldn't have liked it if she knew.

Oh, I see. In that case, Dr Otto is not stricktly His Imperial Highness but merely out of courtesy some people still call him as HIH ? I bet he must have done that after the empress died. She wouldn't have liked it if she knew.

Why don't you simply check out: Otto von Habsburg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia -

There you can find beyond many other information this "In 1961, Otto "for purely practical reasons"renounced all claims to the Austrian throne and was eventually allowed to return to his home country in 1966."

The quote is from the book: Gordon Brook-Shepherd Uncrowned Emperor - The Life and Times of Otto von Habsburg, Hambledon Continuum, London 2003. ISBN 1852855495, which might interest you. :flowers:

And here's part of a press release from the Uk which might give you an idea how the Archduke is received officially in the UK - interesting that members of the BRF and some ambassadors from countries which once belonged to Austria-Hungary attended.

11 July 2007
Last Crown Prince of Austria receives the Freedom of the City of London

The last Crown Prince of Austria, Otto von Habsburg was awarded the Freedom of the City of London by the Worshipful Company of Gardeners on Thursday 5 July. The Crown Prince was nominated by Sir Gavyn Arthur, who had just been made Master of the Gardeners earlier that day. TRH Prince & Princess Michael of Kent, Sheriff Richard Regan and the Ambassadors of Hungary, Croatia and Slovenia attended.
Sir Gavyn Arthur said “It’s a great honour to sponsor the prince as a Freeman of the City of London as he has done so much for the City and Europe as a whole”.
Following the ceremony Otto will be made an Honorary Liveryman of the Gardeners an acknowledgement of his support for the company.
Otto von Habsburg is the eldest son of the Emperor Karl making him the last Crown Prince of Austria and Hungary. He has also been president of the International Pan-European Union and a Senior Member of the EU.

Last edited:
it is quite interesting to see that Archduke Otto has lived for this long and it is quite an enormous feat that he has experienced alot of things throughout the last century. He is currently 95 yrs of age. His family does have longevity with his mother (Empress Zita) and grandmother (Duchess Maria Antonia of Parma, nee Princess of Portugal) listed in the longest lived european royals which can be seen here: Longest Lived European Royals
This is also true for a good number of descendents of King Miguel of Portugal (defacto king) and Princess Adelheid zu Lowenstein-Wertheim-Rosenberg (Otto's great-grandparents in the matrilineal line) this includes the royal families of Luxemburg (Grand Duke Jean and his sisters) and Bavaria (children of Crown Prince Rupprecht and Princess Antonia). Also note Otto's surviving brothers Archduke Felix (92y/o) and Archduke Rudolph (88y/o), his other brothers Archdukes Robert and Carl died at the ages of 80 and 89 respectfuly, but his sisters did not quite have such long lives. This is also true with the Swedish RF, the descendants of King Gustaf V but this is for another topic or it can have one on its own titled LONGEVITY IN RF???...:)

But only 2 of the children of Empepro Karl and Empress Zita have become 90 until now.

Emperor Karl & Empress Zita's children:

Otto (1912- )
Adelhaid (1914-1971)
Robert (1915-1996)
Felix (1916- )
Carl Ludwig (1918-2007)
Rudolf (1919- )
Charlotte (1921-1989)
Elisabeth (1922-1993)

Archduke Dr. Otto von Habsburg has a long history of facilitating European unity and friendship; including trans-Atlantic friendship actions with the USA. His illustrious career would be stellar, even without his royal pedigree. With it, and the difficulties he faced, even brings more honor and esteem to the activities he has done during his lifetime. If only others could do even a part of it! I wish him a long and healthly like. He would be an excellent mentor to many other politicians.

Maybe exactly his royal pedigree caused him some difficulties...

Yes, MAfan. Maybe his pedigree did indeed make it more difficult. My premise is although he had this issue, he was able to achive a great deal for the good of Europe and friendly relations across the Atlantic. I obviously greatly respect his efforts and achievements especially because of the difficulties and trials he and his family had to endure.:D

Back
Top Bottom