The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Non-Reigning Houses > Royal Families of Germany and Austria > The Imperial House of Habsburg

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-24-2008, 06:24 AM
Aristocracy

Oh, I see. So, tell me, is Dr Otto allowed to entre the Republic of Austria now without renouncing his claim to the Archduke of Austria and the Emperor etc etc ? Oh, and if he is an Hungarian, too, then, is he allowed in there without disclaiming his King of Hungary bit ? I have had few Hungarian cleaners before in my service and the current lady is also a Hungarian but none of them ever really heard about the Habsburgs doing things in Hungary though at times they appear in some kind of their versions of "celeb" sort of magazines.
Oh, and what is Dr Otto on his German passport ? Is he really Dr Archduke of Austria or Dr Emperor of Austria or ... ? How about his wife and children and grandchildren ? I wonder what they got on their Hungarian passports ?

Old 04-24-2008, 09:40 AM
Heir Apparent

Otto renounced his claim and may enter Austria if he likes. As does his family.
His second son Archduke Georg lives in Hungary with his family.
I have no idea what's on his passport but as he himself calls Dr. Otto von Habsburg and that's how he is listed in the phonebook, I guess that's how he is called in the passport. In Austria he is Dr. Otto Habsburg-Lothringen.

'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 04-24-2008, 09:58 AM
Aristocracy

Oh, I see. In that case, Dr Otto is not stricktly His Imperial Highness but merely out of courtesy some people still call him as HIH ? I bet he must have done that after the empress died. She wouldn't have liked it if she knew.
Old 04-24-2008, 12:52 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenissima View Post
Oh, I see. In that case, Dr Otto is not stricktly His Imperial Highness but merely out of courtesy some people still call him as HIH ? I bet he must have done that after the empress died. She wouldn't have liked it if she knew.
Why don't you simply check out: Otto von Habsburg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia -

There you can find beyond many other information this "In 1961, Otto "for purely practical reasons"renounced all claims to the Austrian throne and was eventually allowed to return to his home country in 1966."

The quote is from the book: Gordon Brook-Shepherd Uncrowned Emperor - The Life and Times of Otto von Habsburg, Hambledon Continuum, London 2003. ISBN 1852855495, which might interest you.

And here's part of a press release from the Uk which might give you an idea how the Archduke is received officially in the UK - interesting that members of the BRF and some ambassadors from countries which once belonged to Austria-Hungary attended.

11 July 2007
Last Crown Prince of Austria receives the Freedom of the City of London

The last Crown Prince of Austria, Otto von Habsburg was awarded the Freedom of the City of London by the Worshipful Company of Gardeners on Thursday 5 July. The Crown Prince was nominated by Sir Gavyn Arthur, who had just been made Master of the Gardeners earlier that day. TRH Prince & Princess Michael of Kent, Sheriff Richard Regan and the Ambassadors of Hungary, Croatia and Slovenia attended.
Sir Gavyn Arthur said “It’s a great honour to sponsor the prince as a Freeman of the City of London as he has done so much for the City and Europe as a whole”.
Following the ceremony Otto will be made an Honorary Liveryman of the Gardeners an acknowledgement of his support for the company.
Otto von Habsburg is the eldest son of the Emperor Karl making him the last Crown Prince of Austria and Hungary. He has also been president of the International Pan-European Union and a Senior Member of the EU.
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 06-20-2008, 01:31 AM
Commoner

it is quite interesting to see that Archduke Otto has lived for this long and it is quite an enormous feat that he has experienced alot of things throughout the last century. He is currently 95 yrs of age. His family does have longevity with his mother (Empress Zita) and grandmother (Duchess Maria Antonia of Parma, nee Princess of Portugal) listed in the longest lived european royals which can be seen here: Longest Lived European Royals
This is also true for a good number of descendents of King Miguel of Portugal (defacto king) and Princess Adelheid zu Lowenstein-Wertheim-Rosenberg (Otto's great-grandparents in the matrilineal line) this includes the royal families of Luxemburg (Grand Duke Jean and his sisters) and Bavaria (children of Crown Prince Rupprecht and Princess Antonia). Also note Otto's surviving brothers Archduke Felix (92y/o) and Archduke Rudolph (88y/o), his other brothers Archdukes Robert and Carl died at the ages of 80 and 89 respectfuly, but his sisters did not quite have such long lives. This is also true with the Swedish RF, the descendants of King Gustaf V but this is for another topic or it can have one on its own titled LONGEVITY IN RF???...:)
Old 06-20-2008, 04:39 AM
Super Moderator

But only 2 of the children of Empepro Karl and Empress Zita have become 90 until now.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 06-20-2008, 08:15 AM
Administrator

Emperor Karl & Empress Zita's children:

Otto (1912- )
Adelhaid (1914-1971)
Robert (1915-1996)
Felix (1916- )
Carl Ludwig (1918-2007)
Rudolf (1919- )
Charlotte (1921-1989)
Elisabeth (1922-1993)
Old 10-22-2008, 06:23 PM
Gentry

Archduke Dr. Otto von Habsburg has a long history of facilitating European unity and friendship; including trans-Atlantic friendship actions with the USA. His illustrious career would be stellar, even without his royal pedigree. With it, and the difficulties he faced, even brings more honor and esteem to the activities he has done during his lifetime. If only others could do even a part of it! I wish him a long and healthly like. He would be an excellent mentor to many other politicians.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:10 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Maybe exactly his royal pedigree caused him some difficulties...
Old 10-23-2008, 07:10 PM
Gentry

Yes, MAfan. Maybe his pedigree did indeed make it more difficult. My premise is although he had this issue, he was able to achive a great deal for the good of Europe and friendly relations across the Atlantic. I obviously greatly respect his efforts and achievements especially because of the difficulties and trials he and his family had to endure.
Old 10-24-2008, 08:37 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

I agree with you, in toto. That's a pity that the biggest part of the politician (at least of italian politician) don't have learnt anithing from him. Altough I think that an Emperor or a King or a Prince can't be a politician, because a Prince has to be impartial, a politician not.
Old 10-24-2008, 08:20 PM
Gentry

Probably why there are not many of the nobility running for political office in Germany either (?)...
Old 10-25-2008, 02:54 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBGGfvB View Post
Probably why there are not many of the nobility running for political office in Germany either (?)...
Some do, but mostly on local boards and organisations. Probably they don't want to get involved in political disagreements.
Old 10-26-2008, 06:23 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine View Post
Some do, but mostly on local boards and organisations. Probably they don't want to get involved in political disagreements.
Yes, that appears to be the norm. Thank you Jo of Palatine!
Old 11-20-2008, 09:31 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

My best wishes to His Imperial and Royal Majesty, the Emperor, Archduke Dr. Otto of Austria, Royal Prince of Hungary and Bohemia, for His Birthday.

Gott erhalte den Kaiser.
Old 12-01-2008, 12:49 PM
Gentry

I find it interesting that none of Archduke Otto's family have the famous "Habsburg lip" or any striking Habsburg features...

I mean, apart from the well known generations of uncle-niece/first cousin marriages during 16th-17thC., I believe that even in recent times (1800s) most Habsburg marriages have been between cousins....so I had always assumed that he, at least, would have a typical Habsburg look, even if his children and grandchildren have injected some new genes by marrying outside of the family.

His three children are...hmm, not at all good looking.
But his two granddaughters are certainly very very good looking.
I wonder if they will make royal or noble marriages?
Their good looks would definitely be welcome in quite a number of royal families who need to upgrade on their image
Old 12-01-2008, 01:02 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Archduke Otto has 7 children, not 3: Andrea, Monika, Michaela, Gabriela, Walburga, Karl II and Georg...
And which granddaughters of the 9 are you talking about??
Archduke Georg made a royal marriage, to Duchess Eilika of Oldenburg, and Andrea's firstborn son Philipp married in April his distant cousin Paula Wolff...we will see theyr children...
Old 12-01-2008, 07:53 PM
Gentry

The two granddaughters shown in pictures above, the Countesses Hemma and Katharina von Neipperg. Very beautiful, but not in a "common" way: very royal, dignified, elegant.

How closely related are Philip von Neipperg and Paula Woloff?
And do such marriages require Dr. Otto's permission? Both as head of the house and Emperor de jure?
Old 12-02-2008, 09:51 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Philipp and Paula are not very close related; her mother, Ladislaja, born Grafin von Meran, is a descendant of Archduke Johann Baptist Joseph, younger brother of Emperor Franz II...
Otto has to give his permission ony for the marriages of Habsburgs, so Georg and Eilika needed this permission, but Philipp and Paula not, because He is a member of Neipperg Family, altough his mother was born Archduchess of Austria, and the Meran branch of the Imperial Family is not a dynastic branch...

I'm sorry for my terrible gaffe: since Otto has abdicated to His Son Karl in January 2007, all Habsburgs have to require Karl's permission to marry, not Otto's one.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:16 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

My wishes to HI&RH Archduchess Regina of Austria for Her 84 Birthday.

Tags
archduchess regina, archduke otto, austrian royalty, habsburg