The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Non-Reigning Houses > Royal Families of Germany and Austria > The Imperial House of Habsburg

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-11-2008, 10:50 AM
Courtier

Shouldn´t she be called Countess Marie Christine de Limburg Stirum by now?

Old 12-11-2008, 10:54 AM
Administrator

Her Habsburg heritage as an HI&RH Archduchess of Austria outweighs her newly-acquired Limburg-Stirum moniker.

Old 12-11-2008, 11:17 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
Her Habsburg heritage as an HI&RH Archduchess of Austria outweighs her newly-acquired Limburg-Stirum moniker.
Yes but the are styled by the name and titles of their husband like for example Duichess Fleur of Württemberg is styled Countes of Goess since her marriage.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 12-11-2008, 11:26 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Yes but the are styled by the name and titles of their husband like for example Duichess Fleur of Württemberg is styled Countes of Goess since her marriage.
I suppose it is only fair. If a Miss so and so can become an HRH after her marriage an Archduchess can become a Countess in one morning.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:35 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

well, I suppose there isn;t a clear rule about it. Legaly she will be countess of Limburg-Stirum I guess, as her Austrian title is not a legal one. Still Archduchess Catherine is usually referred to as just that, AD Catherine, and not by her husbands Italian noble title (though again his title isn't a legal one either). Likewise count Rodolphe's aunt is usually named Princess Helene of France/d'Orleans and not Countess Helene of Limburg-Stirum.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:46 AM
Heir Presumptive

Right you are, again......
Old 03-28-2009, 09:08 AM
Heir Presumptive

Yesterday I assisted at a Holy Mass of the Relics of Blessed Charles Ier of Austria. Marie-christine's Great Grand-Father.
On their chair was written by the protocole:
Comte Rodolphe de Limburg-Stirum, SAR et I la Comtesse Rodolphe de Limburg- Stirum.
So offically , for your whole life you keep your title you had .
It is the same for the Prince de Ligne, Head of his house. It is
SA le Prince de Ligne et SAR la Princesse de Ligne . She was born HRH Princess of Orleans-Bragance.
Old 03-28-2009, 10:26 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

I've ever thought that the wife get the style and title of the husband, but in morganatic marriages...
Old 03-28-2009, 11:05 AM
Heir Presumptive

I don't know if we make speak now about morganic marriages. The Crown-Princess of Sweden may marry her fittness coach and before her great-uncles were called Bernadotte after their wedding.
Old 03-28-2009, 11:12 AM
Heir Presumptive

Many years ago I visited the castle of Ansouis (Provence). There was a guided visit and the guide was the Duchess of Sabran-Ponthèves the owner of the castle.
As I was to early I spoke with her . She told me that her husband the Duke of Sabran was already very ill at the wedding of his daughter Gersende with Prince Jacques d'Orléans, and he asked the Count de Paris if he agreed to do the wedding at Ansouis.
Of course the Count of Paris agreed. But the funny was that the people of Ansouis said : "How sad the daughter of our Duke is marring the son of only a Count"..
Old 03-28-2009, 01:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

I suppose the castle was open to the public. What happened to it now that her children have sold it?
Old 03-28-2009, 07:16 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAfan View Post
I've ever thought that the wife get the style and title of the husband, but in morganatic marriages...
I don't think morgantic marriages would be much of an issue for female members of dynasties that practiced Salic law, like the Hapsburgs. Descendants of the female line couldn't inherit titles and succession rights so it wouldn't have cause a huge problem inheritance wise if an Archduchess married some of non-royal standing. However, for an heir like Archduke Franz Ferdinand to had married a mere Countess, that posed big problems. I think most dynasties that had morgantic marriage laws (German houses) were also the ones follwed Salic law as well.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:56 PM
Courtier

On occasion of Grand Duke Jean´s 90th birthday celebrations there is one photo in the "diashow" (photo No. 4) where Marie-Christine looks heavily pregnant IMO.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:15 AM
Aristocracy

Did we miss an annoucement or something??

Old 01-06-2011, 07:30 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by greek101 View Post
Did we miss an annoucement or something??
I don't think there would be an official announcement...
Old 01-06-2011, 11:18 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saschana View Post
I don't think there would be an official announcement...
Why an official announcement? The Palace has enough work and more important to have to communicate on the private life of a nice niece of the current Grand duke, besides legally the wife of a Belgian citizen and ex member minor of the House of Austria.

Marie Christine is the not heiress great-child of a sovereign (it is a girl and in more she has several male cousins before her who have or will have themselves children!) and the girl of an archduke, yes a grandson of the last Austrian emperor, but the cadet son child of a great cadet son!
Her mother is the daughter of a sovereign (granddaughter and niece of the other ones, and sister of other one) but the ultra misogynists rules of the Houses of the Luxembourg and Austria make that it is "nothing". She carries the title of her husband and has the same insignificant place within the House of Austria as him.
Her daughter Marie-Christine married a count (son of a second son of a Cheaf of family). She married a subject of the King of the Belgians. She has no situation (she got married young) and lives the life of everybody. Besides her parents were always discreets and never wanted to have publicity in the jet set as descendants of royals.

The young and sweet couple are private individuals without official role and they are nobody in the national life (no particular merit which would have made them noticed).
Old 01-07-2011, 04:06 PM
Courtier

Will any children of Archduchess & Countess Marie-Christine of Limburg-Stirum have Belgian, Austrian and Luxemburg or only Belgian nationality?

Does Marie-Christine have Belgian, Austrian and Luxemburg nationalities?
Old 01-07-2011, 10:44 PM
Courtier

I am thinking she has Swiss nationality!
Old 01-08-2011, 01:28 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by reginalix View Post
Why an official announcement? The Palace has enough work and more important to have to communicate on the private life of a nice niece of the current Grand duke, besides legally the wife of a Belgian citizen and ex member minor of the House of Austria.

Marie Christine is the not heiress great-child of a sovereign (it is a girl and in more she has several male cousins before her who have or will have themselves children!) and the girl of an archduke, yes a grandson of the last Austrian emperor, but the cadet son child of a great cadet son!
Her mother is the daughter of a sovereign (granddaughter and niece of the other ones, and sister of other one) but the ultra misogynists rules of the Houses of the Luxembourg and Austria make that it is "nothing". She carries the title of her husband and has the same insignificant place within the House of Austria as him.
Her daughter Marie-Christine married a count (son of a second son of a Cheaf of family). She married a subject of the King of the Belgians. She has no situation (she got married young) and lives the life of everybody. Besides her parents were always discreets and never wanted to have publicity in the jet set as descendants of royals.

The young and sweet couple are private individuals without official role and they are nobody in the national life (no particular merit which would have made them noticed).

Yes, but they did have a press conference when they became engaged. I am also kind of surprised that an announcement hasn't been made. Maybe she's very early in her pregnancy and they are waiting to make the announcement?
Old 01-08-2011, 02:11 PM
Courtier

wort.lu | Fotogalerien | Festmahl auf Princesse Marie-Astrid