The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-07-2007, 01:38 PM
Commoner

Wedding rings on right hand

After looking at pictures of the women in the royal family i've notice that instead of wearing their wedding ring on the left hand they wear it on the right. Does anyone know why this is?

Old 05-07-2007, 01:48 PM
Serene Highness

Many european countries wear the ring on the right hand Leonie. However, in certain regions of Spain, Catalonia for example, people tend to wear the wedding ring on the left hand.

Old 05-07-2007, 01:50 PM
Heir Apparent

A wedding ring or wedding band consists of precious metal ring, in some countries (UK, USA) worn on the base of the left ring finger – the fourth finger (counting from the thumb) of the left hand. In most other parts of the world, it is worn on the right ring finger (e.g. Azerbaijan, Bulgaria, Scandinavia, Germany, Poland or Russia).
Old 05-07-2007, 01:56 PM
Serene Highness

I once read that the reason people wear it on the left is because their is a vain that leads to the heart
Old 05-07-2007, 02:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes, or becouse it's simple if they're right-handed.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:37 PM
Serene Highness

Rome & Constantinople-twin cities

The Byzantines wore their rings on the right because Christs sits to the right of God according to their doctrine. Those who believe through Rome acknowledge the filioque creed and that says that the Holy Spirit may proceed from the saints as well who stand to the left of God. So they wear theirs on the left. The Orthodox cross themselves to the forehead and then to the right shoulder and the Catholics to the forehead and the left shoulder... So it is rooted in these twin cities Rome and Constantinople.
Subject to each's interpretation but I think this is the histrorically correct reason for ring designation.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:43 PM
Commoner

most people in spain wear their ring on the right. Most in catalunya y pais vasco (basque) sometimes wear them on the left.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:47 PM
Royal Highness

I didn't know that there was a certain hand you had to wear your wedding ring on!
Old 05-07-2007, 03:09 PM
Commoner

thanks for the answers everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by ...sOfIa....
Many european countries wear the ring on the right hand Leonie. However, in certain regions of Spain, Catalonia for example, people tend to wear the wedding ring on the left hand.
That's the first i myself have actually heard that, everyone here in the UK it is the left hand its put on so i didn't know. I only noticed it when i was looking at pictures of the princesses of spain.
I always thought it was the left hand for both engagement and wedding rings but noticed letizia had her engagement ring on the left hand wedding ring on the right.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:18 PM
Heir Presumptive

Letizia wears hers on the right hand. Felipe used to do the same, but at the beginning of 2005 (?) he broke his right hand and had to change for the left one to wear the ring and continues this way till today.

Old 05-07-2007, 03:24 PM
Courtier

I always thought you wear an engagement ring on the left hand, and a wedding ring on the right, but I guess I was wrong...
Old 05-07-2007, 03:27 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilytornado
I always thought you wear an engagement ring on the left hand, and a wedding ring on the right, but I guess I was wrong...
My friend before wedding wore her engagement ring on left hand. Many women which I know wear their engagement rings and wedding bands on the same finger - usually on right hand.
Old 05-07-2007, 05:22 PM
Aristocracy

Location: Harrisburg (outside of Charlotte NC), United States
Most people I know here wear their engagement ring and wedding band on the left hand.

However there have been a couple of married women lately, here in America, that wear their wedding band on their left hand and their engagement ring on the right.

Tags
spanish royal family, wedding rings