Wealth and Finances of the Spanish Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That is not much money to be spread over those three segments of the household.

The King and Prince cut their salaries 7 percent

The King has decided to cut 7.1 percent his and the Prince of Asturias salary, as reported by the House of the King. In addition, Don Juan Carlos has decided to lower by the same percentage representation expenses allocated to the rest of his family.

El Rey y el Príncipe recortan un 7 por ciento sus sueldos

I am going to try to explain it to you. I believe that this number refers what the Spanish State gives every year to the King for the expenses of the Headquarters of the State, it is not a money that of to the King but with he has to support the expenses of the Royal Family (in Spain the Royal Family only they are the Kings, the Princes and the Infantas, and they are those who develop official activities),and also the persons who are employed at the House of the King.

I imagine that the King has a personal wealth, with something that he could have inherited and that he has hoarded in the last 30 years, but he cannot be not much less comparable to the wealths of other monarchies. The family of the King lived in the exile for a long time, and when they went away they did not take to themselves almost anything, lived in a humble enough way to be members of the royalty (that enclosed the Queen Victoria Eugenia had to use some of her jewels.)
All the palaces that pertenecian to the monarchy form a part of an institution that is called A National wealth, the Royal Family can enjoy them but they are not of their property. National wealth takes charge of the expenses of the palaces (as the Zarzuela or the House of the Prince), the rest of palaces scarcely are in use (the Real Palace in the big receipts and the palace of el Pardo one like residence of foreign Chiefs of state when they are in Spain), but many of them can be visited as museums

Something I've never understood since the restoration is that currently all of the palaces belong to the state, however both TM Queen Maria Christina and Victoria Eugenie had private residences ,

VE had The Palacio de la Magdalena
MC had miramar at San Sebastián

Who owns these now? Why didn't they stay private property when the monarchy by was restored?

El Rey le baja el sueldo a la Reina pero recupera su paga extra

The budget of casareal falls below 8 million euros for the first time, down 4% = 7,933,710 euros in 2013, but that amount does not include travel, which pays the Ministry of Education, or vehicles, which are borne by the Treasury, or Security (Ministry of Interior), or maintainance of Zarzuela etc (National Heritage). With all this, the King has decided to lower the salary of the Queen, Elena and Letizia (€ 55,000 less this year), reducing the allowance of these three women to 260,000 euros (since last year, the Infanta Cristina do not receive this allowance because she did not participate in official events, the same applies, for now, this year).

The wages of the Prince and King remain unchanged this year. The monarch receives 290.0752 euros, of which 140,519 euros directly and the rest for representation expenses. Meanwhile, the Prince will have a salary of 145,376 euros.

The fleet of official vehicles will be reduced: The King will not be able to enjoy the long line of 72 cars, 27 vehicles are destined to leave the garage.

Does the Spanish Royal family have personal wealth like QEII or POW? Are they completely dependent on the Spanish People?

That doesn't seem like a large salary for a monarch or monarch to be. That has to be much lower than other monarchies.

Spain's Royal Family also have I believe one of the smallest budgets!

Given the history of the Spanish monarchy and his family it seems perfectly reasonable to have kept his private fortune abroad. 20 yrs after his death seems a bit late to worry about it.

Princess Cristina named as suspect in husband¿s corruption case in first ever case against a royal in Spain | Mail Online

It also follows the revelation that Juan Carlos, 75, received a 2.2million Euro inheritance, deposited in three Swiss bank accounts, when his father Juan died on April 1, 1993.
Questions are now being asked as to whether the King, under fire for going elephant-hunting in Africa last year as recession continues to bite, paid the correct amount of tax on the sum.

I guess anything to do with the Borbóns wealth will come under intense media scrutiny.

Princess Cristina named as suspect in husband¿s corruption case in first ever case against a royal in Spain | Mail Online

It also follows the revelation that Juan Carlos, 75, received a 2.2million Euro inheritance, deposited in three Swiss bank accounts, when his father Juan died on April 1, 1993.
Questions are now being asked as to whether the King, under fire for going elephant-hunting in Africa last year as recession continues to bite, paid the correct amount of tax on the sum.

thank you for the note:flowers:

Didnt Felipe and Letizia recieve an inheritance not to long ago? from a wealthy Spanish citizen?

Royals at sea: Long live the royal yacht?-
With Spain's unemployment rate at more than 27%, the country's royal family has decided to give up their $27 million luxury yacht in an act of solidarity with their struggling citizens. The yacht, called "Fortuna", has hosted dignitaries from around the world. Here, Prince Felipe of Spain is pictured sailing the "Aifos" yacht during the 31st Copa del Rey Regatta in Palma de Mallorca last year:
Long live the royal yacht? - CNN.com

Spain's Royal Family also have I believe one of the smallest budgets!

I think its the smallest because most of the royal family's costs (buildings, transport, overseas visits) are paid from by other government departments.

In other royal houses also there are costs such as security and official trips that are paid by other government services.

In some monarchies the palaces are owned by the Royal Family, in other are state properties, and its maintenance is different.

^^^^
I think he would be very foolish if he did not have private assets abroad. Actually I think anyone living in an economically/politically unstable nation is foolish to not have held some of their assets abroad in more stable nations if at all possible.

Back
Top Bottom