Wealth and Finances of the Spanish Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am surprised that Don Felipe does not own shares/stock.

Its strange that the king and family don't have a holiday home of their own and all properties are owned by the state!

Its strange that the king and family don't have a holiday home of their own and all properties are owned by the state!

I think it's weird too, but it's the reality. They could have a holiday home, but King Juan Carlos decided that all the properties would go to the National Heritage, the institution that manages the properties that are at the disposal of the royal family.
King Juan Carlos, as far as we know, never acquired properties either in Spain or abroad.

King Juan Carlos, as far as we know, never acquired properties either in Spain or abroad.

That we know of ;)

Its was rumoured that queen Sofia had or still has a pad in London.

I've always thought it prudent for RFs to have some property of their own... just in case

Yeah. I suppose it is poignant because should Spain decide they don't want them one day, those 2.5 million Euros, liquified, will buy a nice little house in a not-terribly posh area somewhere, probably less fancy than Uncle Tino and Auntie Anne-Marie had. And that is about it.

Perhaps this is partly Felipe's declaration of determination to (continue being) a damn good king. He literally cannot afford not to be.

Yeah. I suppose it is poignant because should Spain decide they don't want them one day, those 2.5 million Euros, liquified, will buy a nice little house in a not-terribly posh area somewhere, probably less fancy than Uncle Tino and Auntie Anne-Marie had. And that is about it.

Perhaps this is partly Felipe's declaration of determination to (continue being) a damn good king. He literally cannot afford not to be.

Yet we keep hearing claims on the internet, including in this forum occasionally, that King Juan Carlos has a personal fortune of more than one billion euros (which I don't believe to be true BTW).

To make things worse, King Felipe VI was forced to officially give up any inheritance from his father. Hopefully some assets were transferred to Queen Sofia, so the King can still retain part of his inheritance rights like any normal citizen.

Last edited:
I don't see why Felipe has to take anything from JC, especially if it's suspicious money that will just cause more problems. His determination to be (basically) upper middle-class is not necessarily a bad thing for a monarch...just different. If it helps him be a better sovereign and lets Leonor take the throne with a smoother transition, more power to him.

I don't see why Felipe has to take anything from JC, especially if it's suspicious money that will just cause more problems. His determination to be (basically) upper middle-class is not necessarily a bad thing for a monarch...just different. If it helps him be a better sovereign and lets Leonor take the throne with a smoother transition, more power to him.

The problem is that, at this point, it may be impossible to separate "suspicious" from "unsuspicious" money, so Felipe had to give everything up, being effectively disinherited, which I think is unfair. But I assume arrangements were made for him to keep at least jewelry and similar family heirlooms.

Last edited:
The problem is that, at this point, it may be impossible to separate "suspicious" from "unsuspicious" money, so Felipe had to give everything up, being effectively disinherited, which I think is unfair. But I assume arrangements were made for him to keep at least royal jewels and similar family heirlooms.

Well his other inheritance from JC was being the King of Spain, so he didn't exactly get nothing. If he wants to keep that (and apparently he does), he is apparently quite at peace with giving up the rest or any prospect of whatever it could buy him. It seems to have been the right move.

It is true. All royal families seem to have private homes. But the Spanish Royal Family seems not to have.

The royal sites that are now under the administration of Patrimonio Nacional used to be the Patrimonio de la Corona prior to the establishment of the Second Republic. They were inalienable and not personally owned by the Kings of Spain, but had a legal status that was similar to the Crown Estate in the UK, being held in trust by the King in Right of the Crown. Following the proclamation of the Republic, the Crown Estate was formally nationalized and became State property, a legal status which was maintained under Franco and, later, also under the restored monarchy (keep in mind that, unlike in the UK, the constitution of 1978 formally separated the Crown from the State in Spain).

Prior to 1931, I understand that the Crown Estate was managed directly by the Royal Household (I would appreciate if the Spanish posters could confirm that), but that is no longer the case with Patrimonio Nacional, which is an independent state agency under the Spanish government. In any case, I would imagine that, since Spain historically had a large number of royal residences in the Patrimonio de la Corona at the disposal of the Royal Family, there wasn't much motivation for the Royal Family to acquire a private estate in Spain itself but I would appreciate comments from more knowledgeable members (I know for example that Don Juan, Count of Barcelona, sold during the interregnum the last private residences that were owned by his father in Spain before 1931).

Here is also a link to the law on the Patrimonio Nacional which provides more information on the current administration of the former Crown Estate.

Last edited:
The Council of Ministers has approved a royal decree reforming the structure and functioning of the Royal House, as announced yesterday.
From now on, the accounts of the Royal House will be verified by the Court of Accounts, with which an agreement will be signed.
In addition, the new royal decree will regulate all contracting procedures of the Royal House. All the contracts you make and all the principles that govern that contract will also be published on the website.
https://www.abc.es/espana/abci-cuen...as-tribunal-cuentas-202204261347_noticia.html

Maybe all the assets are with Queen Letizia ;)
We shouldn't worry too much about them, when they are done being King or Queen they can always write a memoir or rent themselves out as dinner speakers. It will make a nice living, just ask Obama.

The living arrangements should have been changed when Felipe VI became king and moved to the main Zarzuela House and found a home else where for JC/Sofia/Irene.

Currently the kings mother and aunt live like the grand dames in the big house.

Maybe all the assets are with Queen Letizia ;)
We shouldn't worry too much about them, when they are done being King or Queen they can always write a memoir or rent themselves out as dinner speakers. It will make a nice living, just ask Obama.

There seems no big interest in royals' memoirs or as hired speakers, looking at all these former royal families.

There seems no big interest in royals' memoirs or as hired speakers, looking at all these former royal families.

I have no doubt that if Queen Letizia one day launches a memoir, it would be a success. We all want to know what she thinks about certain subjects and people.

I am not surprised that King Felipe is not rich; I am only surprised that he has his money in such a liquid form as bank accounts.

I have no doubt that if Queen Letizia one day launches a memoir, it would be a success. We all want to know what she thinks about certain subjects and people.

The point was making a living as a deposed royal. Looking at today's pretenders, no one makes a living by memoirs and speeches.

I am not surprised that King Felipe is not rich; I am only surprised that he has his money in such a liquid form as bank accounts.

Probably the hard and very practical lesson of the Exile. Cash is transportable.

Yet we keep hearing claims on the internet, including in this forum occasionally, that King Juan Carlos has a personal fortune of more than one billion euros (which I don't believe to be true BTW).

To make things worse, King Felipe VI was forced to officially give up any inheritance from his father. Hopefully some assets were transferred to Queen Sofia, so the King can still retain part of his inheritance rights like any normal citizen.

It will end with two very wealthy Infantas receiving Don Juan Carlos' inheritance and a King without a real financial buffer. A bit a big house with a private garden around in Madrid, Barcelona, Sevilla, Málaga is already close or over 1 million Euro. It is his self-chosen abstinence from his father's inheritance.

We will see (or not) what Felipe will inherit from his mother's side. Queen Sofia's financials may be as questionable as her husbands' but nobody has looked into that as yet.

We will see (or not) what Felipe will inherit from his mother's side. Queen Sofia's financials may be as questionable as her husbands' but nobody has looked into that as yet.

Queen Sofía's Greek Royal House is desposed for almost 5 decades. Her father already passed away before the downfall of the Greek monarchy, his Will already distributed to his widow and his children.

Since then Queen Sofía has given shelter and support to her mother Queen Frederica and her sister Princess Irene. Her brother King Constantine was cut off from his annual income in 1967, when he went in Exile, and has since used his buffer which he inherited from his father and managed to get out of Greece. But these will not be Sofía's to be inherited, we may assume. Until 1975 Sofía was married to a penniless Prince, with her royal in-laws living on what was left from the Spanish royal family's fortune.

I doubt Queen Sofía has a mega fortune.

Last edited:
She may not have a mega fortune, but she is not stupid. Her sense of duty will have come with a price too, see rumours of a 'second life' in UK.
JC will have provided for her in whatever ways. Question is if those were part of the illegal money flow.
It will be interesting to see if the Infantas and their children will accept JC's inheritance, my guess is yes. This will hurt casareal as well, the King's sisters living a rich life off illegal money.

She may not have a mega fortune, but she is not stupid. Her sense of duty will have come with a price too, see rumours of a 'second life' in UK.
JC will have provided for her in whatever ways. Question is if those were part of the illegal money flow.
It will be interesting to see if the Infantas and their children will accept JC's inheritance, my guess is yes. This will hurt casareal as well, the King's sisters living a rich life off illegal money.

What matters is what Felipe does, as he's the King. If his sisters accept tainted money that is their choice

For so far neither in Spain nor in Switzerland prosecutors have found grounds to go after Don Juan Carlos. So far there is no question of "illegal money".

The Council of Ministers has approved a royal decree reforming the structure and functioning of the Royal House, as announced yesterday.
From now on, the accounts of the Royal House will be verified by the Court of Accounts, with which an agreement will be signed.
In addition, the new royal decree will regulate all contracting procedures of the Royal House. All the contracts you make and all the principles that govern that contract will also be published on the website.
https://www.abc.es/espana/abci-cuen...as-tribunal-cuentas-202204261347_noticia.html

Thank you for posting the official communique and press reports.

Here is a link to the new royal decree. Perhaps one of the Spanish speakers could provide a short summary?

https://www.boe.es/diario_boe/txt.php?id=BOE-A-2022-6765

For so far neither in Spain nor in Switzerland prosecutors have found grounds to go after Don Juan Carlos. So far there is no question of "illegal money".

That may be because he is protected by immunity until 2014.

Back
Top Bottom