The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Spain

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-07-2005, 05:27 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

The article says that the main parties coincided that the House of the King deserved an improvement of the budget, so I guess it's more.

Old 11-07-2005, 05:34 PM
Imperial Majesty

The increase is the proportional one to what the budgets are increased every year, if the budgets lowered would go down. It is an indirect not direct raise for something. The economic item for other departments of the goverment also have increased.

Old 12-30-2005, 05:48 PM
Heir Presumptive

I read in the spanish forum that in a magazine called EUROBUSINESS from April 2003, it was written that Juan Carlos earned, in his personal account, 1790 million euros. What do you about it?
Old 12-30-2005, 05:51 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchainho
I read in the spanish forum that in a magazine called EUROBUSINESS from April 2003, it was written that Juan Carlos earned, in his personal account, 1790 million euros. What do you about it?
1790 million?!?! are you sure???
I saw once a report (i don't remeber what was) about the men and women who have more money and i remember that King Juan Carlos was between the people who have more money but i didn't think that it was so much.... :o
Old 12-30-2005, 05:54 PM
Heir Presumptive

There is no way Juan Carlos is worth a billion dollars. He is estimated to have about $30 million in investments and private property.
Old 12-30-2005, 05:58 PM
Royal Highness

From articles I've read through out the months one of the things that is mentioned more often is that the finances of King Juan Carlos are taboo to discuss. One thing is the salary he gets, another one, the one no one mentions, is the kickbacks or other money he gets. It could be in gifts like every time he wants a new boat he get his friends to negotiate it. But that, for being an off limits subject is difficult to trace. Also, his friendship with the Saudis probably helps the pocket too. Juan Carlos and family could be much richer than what they appear on record. If so, then more power to him, he is not doing any more or any less than prime ministers and presidents of other big nations.
Old 12-30-2005, 06:08 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
That article was referred by me just a few posts above:
Wealth and Finances of the Spanish Royal Family
Old 12-12-2007, 02:39 AM
Serene Highness
Picture of the Month Representative Spain

Quote:
Apparently he is worth that much, I've seen an article on that. It says he's the third richest monarch. The 1st is the prince of Liechstenstein, sorry don't remember the 2nd, I think is Queen Elizabeth, and the third is King JC, I think there's also a video in the forum about JC's fortune, I read that he might have invested -among many other things-, in oil.
Old 12-12-2007, 04:36 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari_* View Post
Apparently he is worth that much, I've seen an article on that. It says he's the third richest monarch. The 1st is the prince of Liechstenstein, sorry don't remember the 2nd, I think is Queen Elizabeth, and the third is King JC, I think there's also a video in the forum about JC's fortune, I read that he might have invested -among many other things-, in oil.
Some numbers that handle the magazines are not real, among other things because they commit the mistake of making compatible possessions that do not belong to the King. The Royal House already ordered a few years ago across the ambassador a letter to a British magazine to clarify some information, this information was not clarified and other magazine have reproduced the information of this. The mistake was for that they were valuing possessions of the King, the palaces, its collections, or the yacht ... that do not belong to the King but to the State.

La fortuna del Rey: ¿A cuánto ascienden su patrimonio y su sueldo?- elEconomista.es

Up to how much there rises the fortune of the Spanish Royal Family? This it is, possibly, one of the secrets better guarded in our country from the arrival of the democracy. Five years ago, the British magazine EuroBusiness published that Juan Carlos I had a patrimony estimated of 1.790 million Euros.

Of the whole, 545 millions would correspond to his personal fortune and the rest to family possesisions, included palaces and areas in different provinces.
In agreement with its calculations, the King was figuring then in the position 115 in the list of the 400 richest Europeans. That one was not the first time that EuroBusiness, property of Bernie Ecclestone, the great boss of the Formula 1, realized a similar calculation.

A ludicrous number

The problem is that, opposite to the nonchalance with the one that took refuge the news in previous occasions, this time ran as the gunpowder and on the mentideros one started speculating on the secret goods of the royal Family. The Royal House met obliged to intervene and the ambassador of Spain in London in that moment had to order a letter the director of EuroBusiness to be out of line official form the published information.

" The ludicrous number of 1.790 million Euros only can explain for you have understood, erroneously, that the common possesions of the National wealth, of the Spanish State, they are a property of His Majesty the King, which is evidently inaccurate ", was assured by him.

Forthwith, it was specifying: " His Majesty effects anually, as the rest of the Spanish obliged to it, the corresponding income tax returns and patrimony ".
(...)
Old 04-08-2008, 06:29 PM
Heir Presumptive

does anyone has the royal portrait of BUNTE magazine with the richness of all kings and queen richness from 2004 or 2005, i think?
Old 04-13-2008, 05:26 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari_* View Post

Really? I always thought the Spanish monarch is among the "poorest" of all the monarchs. Of course when I say "poor" it means he doesn't reach the caliber of the Liechtentein royal. Last time I visited Forbe's website on the list of the most richest royals the Middle Eastern royal families rank first followed by the Liechtentein RF, Dutch monarch, QEII and I'm very sure that KJC is not on the list. Or is it because the magazine does not discover the real fortune of the Spanish King ...
Old 05-21-2008, 02:05 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by lula View Post
I am going to try to explain it to you. I believe that this number refers what the Spanish State gives every year to the King for the expenses of the Headquarters of the State, it is not a money that of to the King but with he has to support the expenses of the Royal Family (in Spain the Royal Family only they are the Kings, the Princes and the Infantas, and they are those who develop official activities),and also the persons who are employed at the House of the King.

I imagine that the King has a personal wealth, with something that he could have inherited and that he has hoarded in the last 30 years, but he cannot be not much less comparable to the wealths of other monarchies. The family of the King lived in the exile for a long time, and when they went away they did not take to themselves almost anything, lived in a humble enough way to be members of the royalty (that enclosed the Queen Victoria Eugenia had to use some of her jewels.)
All the palaces that pertenecian to the monarchy form a part of an institution that is called A National wealth, the Royal Family can enjoy them but they are not of their property. National wealth takes charge of the expenses of the palaces (as the Zarzuela or the House of the Prince), the rest of palaces scarcely are in use (the Real Palace in the big receipts and the palace of el Pardo one like residence of foreign Chiefs of state when they are in Spain), but many of them can be visited as museums
Please Let me correct you. The Spanish royal family receives per year about 8 m €. This is for personal use as the different ministries and the royal patrimony are in charge of the palaces and costs of maintenance, security, transport, their activities (holidays and representative trips)...
i.e. the ministry of defense covers security, transport and their secretaries that used to be in the military.(Letizia uses 5 bodyguards and one protocol expert and so Felipe with two.).

Then the personal fortune of the king has been calculated as of 1.790m€, he inherited about 2m€ because his family was in exile, their living costs paid by aristocrats. He is probably allowed to make business hence his personal fortune and he is friends with the mayor bankers. The 'infantas' have their own jobs but they receive an assignation of about 2m€ per year.
Old 12-02-2008, 11:51 AM
Nobility

Spanish Royal Family Finances

How is the Spanish Royal Family financed? I assume that they receive a salary from the State and that they receive grants to cover the costs of doing their jobs. I would also assume that their homes are owned by the State, too. Is this correct? Do they have independent wealth?
Old 12-02-2008, 12:42 PM
Heir Presumptive

Yes, its correct: Royal Family receives an annual assignment of Gobern, and at the moment its E82 millions-although its more than last year-.They use this money for their personal spendings and their residence maintenance.And the royal residences, as you said, dont belong to the king, they are States property.
But King Juan Carlos also has got his own wealth: he has got personal bussiness.
According to Forbes, he is one of the richest headstates.
Old 12-02-2008, 02:26 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANNIE_S View Post
King Juan Carlos also has got his own wealth: he has got personal bussiness.
According to Forbes, he is one of the richest headstates.
Really? I thought the Spanish royals were not that wealthy.
Old 12-02-2008, 02:51 PM
Heir Presumptive

I found this article, but its old (from 2003)
And Im sorry, he isnt so rich as I said before, he is the sixth richest monarch of Europe-although I think that its a very, very good place, he even has got much money ....
IBLNEWS.COM
Old 12-21-2008, 06:12 PM
Aristocracy

King Juan Carlos' wealth is a very controversial issue in Spain. Juan Carlos got very very wealthy very fast after becoming King of Spain. A number of sources state that the King's wealth exceeds the billion USD by far.

The problem is that Spain's Constitution makes the King "untouchable" and people willing to investigate the issue can be criminally indicted for trying to defamate the King. Freedom of speech and information is very limited in Spain when it comes to investigate the King's finances.

Controversial "close friends" who allegedly contributed to the King's wealth are Mark Rich (who swiftly received a Spanish passport/citizenship), Kings of Arab Countries, Spanish bankers and other businessmen.

Those of you who understand Spanish can take a look at the following:

If this monarchy is expected to last after the King's death there are a few issues that should be clarified.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:56 AM
Gentry

Annual Budget for the Spanish Royal Household

Greetings everyone!

I am doing a report for Wiki on the Spanish monarchy, and I have come to the portion on the cost of the monarchy. I have found, via the Royal Household website that the annual budget granted to the king for finacing the royal family is about 9 million, which goes towards paying senior household staff, financing events, running their offices, also it goes towards maintaining the royal family... which I take to mean also groceries, clothing, educational expenses (children).

But what I don't have is the cost altogether, In the BBC I have found that the cost for the UK Royal Family is about 40 million, thats all costs together including events, and maintaining palaces and the like.

Does anyone else have any resources they may plunder? I am chiefly looking for news articals that I may cite or some other verifyable source.

Any assistance you may offer is greatly appreciated!
Old 09-15-2010, 09:12 AM
Heir Apparent

Spanish Royal Palace says it expects its 1st ever budget cut because of austerity plans

http://www.canadianbusiness.com/mark...tent=D9I89LHO0
Old 09-15-2010, 10:22 AM
Aristocracy

I posted weeks ago in a thread called Wealth and Finances a long post about this, but I don't remember if there was anything about their global cost. I've read the real and complete cost is 25 millions , but they are just estimations that can't be trusted. For example, this figure(25millions) was given in a british article dealing with Juan Carlos' wealth but they weren't accurate in other, easy to check points. For example, any palace the King uses in different areas of Spain belong to the Spanish state and this article wrote that they were actually Juan Carlos property.

Tags
finances, spanish royal family