Titles of the Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
re

lucys said:
His titles are: Príncipe de Asturias, Príncipe de Girona y Príncipe de Viana, Duque de Montblanc, Conde de Cervera y Señor de Balaguer.

She acquired them all the moment they said "I do.'

Does anyone know what the titles are in english??? or better in dutch???

Last edited:
Princess Robijn said:
Does anyone know what the titles are in english??? or better in dutch???
Simple: Prince of Asturias, Prince of Girona, Prince of Viana, Duke of Montblanc, Count of Cervera and Lord of Balaguer.

re

owww, of course.. why didn't I think of that. thank you

Besides her title as Princess of Asturias, upon marrying Crown Prince Felipe, she also inherited the titles of Princesa de Gerona (Princess of Gerona), Princesa de Viana (Princess of Viana), Duquesa de Montblanc (Duchess of Montblanc), Condesa de Cervera (Countess of Cervera) and Señora de Balaguer (First Lady of Balaguer).

Infante/Infanta (in Portugal and Spain) = Grand Duke/Grand Duchess (in Russia) = Archduke/Archduchess (in Austria) = Duke/Duchess (in Württemberg) = Prince/Princess (in other Royal Families).

Also in Portugal, the Crown Prince/Crown Princess as heir/heiress to the throne beared the title "Duke/Duchess de Bragança" and the other members of the Royal Family beared the title "Infante/Infanta of Portugal".

That's quite an impressive list of titles held by His Majesty. It's funny that it does not include the title of King of Spain though.

By the way, does anyone know when the Spanish Kings were stopped being referred to as "His Catholic Majesty"?

I have read some old law manuscripts and whenever they talk about the Spanish King the refer to him as His Catholic Majesty.

He still is. Majestad Católica = Catholic Majesty It does not say King of Spain but it mentions all the kingdoms that united to make up Spain. And also of other places that were ruled by his ancestors. Here is an article on His Majesty. It may help you understand better. His titles are listed at the end.

Last edited:
Yes, he's Juan Carlos I.

The use of Infanta

Hello, I am just curious as to why the Spanish Royals use Infanta instead of Princesa. I took 4 years of Spanish, and I know that it means infant in English. If anyone could enlighten me I would appreciate it!

Emily :)

Infanta

I really have no idea but in france, the royal children were called the Children of France I believe....it may be similar since the Spanish royal family has Bourbon blood...this is a huge longshot...lol

Please, read the posts above, if you don't mind.

How many count and countess titles are there all in all in spain

Anna_R said:
Yes, I believe so, since Queen Sofía is a Princess of Greece, he and his sisters are therefore considered princes of Greece, just like Alexia, Pavlos, Nikolaos, Theodora and Phillipos are princes of Denmark, title inherited from their mother, Queen Anne-Marie of the Hellenes that is, as well, Princess of Denmark.

Alexia, Pavlos, Nikolaos, Theodoran and Phillipos didn't inherited the title prince(ss) of Denmark from there mother. 'HM (elected) King George I of Greece (Hellenes)' was born 'HRH Prince George of Denmark', the second son of 'HM King Christian IX of Denmark', making his male line descendents prince(ss) of Denmark

If you consider this, I don't think that the Children of 'HM Queen Sofia of Spain, Princess Of Greece and Denmark' bear the title: Prince(ss) of Greece and Denmark

Felipe is not a prince of Greece. When Queen Sofia married she ceased to be a Princess of Greece and Denmark. The Spanish royal family actually uses surnames. In Spain & other spanish speaking countries people have two last names one from their father and one from their mother. Since the GRF did not have a last name they use of Greece (de Grecia in spanish). That is why his name is Felipe de Borbón y Grecia.

Last edited:
O, I knew she relinquished her rights to the throne of Greece, but I was under the impression, that Queen Sofia didn't give up her title of Princess of Greece and Denmark

Last edited:
Why do the Princes of Asturias sign their Christmas Cards with their title under their signature? If the cards are for family and friends mainly, isn't it tacky?
Same with the Infantas...the King and Queen don't sign like that, do they?

Roxsteve said:
Why do the Princes of Asturias sign their Christmas Cards with their title under their signature? If the cards are for family and friends mainly, isn't it tacky?
Same with the Infantas...the King and Queen don't sign like that, do they?

Yes they do. The little R's under their names mean Rey & Reina. It's a custom in Spain to sign like that.

Actually after their names you can see an "R." (sometimes its just "R"). This in an abbreviation that stands for Rex (King) or Regina (Queen).

Josefine said:
How many count and countess titles are there all in all in spain

Thats a good question. Is there a lot of nobility in spain as there is in britian?

Princess Robijn said:
O, I knew she relinquished her rights to the throne of Greece, but I was under the impression, that Queen Sofia didn't give up her title of Princess of Greece and Denmark

Does anyone know if I am correct??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Robijn

Does anyone know if I am correct??

I think that you are correct.
When Queen Annemarie married King Konstantin of Greece she relinquished all of her rigths to the throne of Denmark.Therefore she can never becom Queen of Denmark...The funny thing of it is that when Princess Benedikte of Denmark married Prince Richardt of Berleburg she did not relinquished her rigths to the throne of Denmark and can therefore becom Queen of Denmark if and i pray to good it will never happend Queen Margrethe,Crownprince Frederik, Baby prince of Denmark,Prince Joachim,Prince Nikolai and Prince Felix woud be killed in a huge accident.

Princess Robijn said:

So if that's true, for example, Cristina's title would be HRH Cristina de Borbón, Infanta of Spain, Duchess of Palma, Princess of Greece and Denmark?:eek: Talk about being TOTALLY royal:)

Sofia was never a Princess of Denmark. The Denmark portion is because of Queen Anne-Marie of Greece. Her children are of Princes of Greece and Denmark.

Yes, she was. All the member of the GRF are Princes of Greece and Denmark because they are descendants of King George I of Greece who was born a prince of denmark. You can check on Wikipedia all the Greek royals and you can see that they are princes of Greece and Denmark.

crisiñaki said:
So if that's true, for example, Cristina's title would be HRH Cristina de Borbón, Infanta of Spain, Duchess of Palma, Princess of Greece and Denmark?:eek: Talk about being TOTALLY royal:)
If that were true all royals would be Princes of who know how many countries. Queen Sofia's mother was Princess of Hanover but Sofia was not.

[B said:
Princess Robijn[/b]]
You are wrong.

Last edited:
Doña Metizia said:
Yes, she was. All the member of the GRF are Princes of Greece and Denmark because they are descendants of King George I of Greece who was born a prince of denmark.

Thank you for pointing that out to me. I wasn't aware of it.

Back
Top Bottom